PDA

View Full Version : My ride and a question

steel001
12th November 2009, 21:09
Went for my first long ride tonight. Prior to tonight I had done about 10 Km's on a bike, now I have done 164 Km's :woohoo:

Went down to Drury, was my first time on the motorway, I pulled up next to some guy and started chatting, told him I was going on the motorway for the first time so I followed him for about 5 Km's all good. Cheers whoever you were.

Went up to Dairy flat, went over the bridge was not as daunting as I thought (was a good thing I read the wind thread first),found out my little 250 could do 150 km/ph shhh and had more to go.

All in all was a sweet ride.

Question though: Countersteering into a corner, leans the bike over etc but to straighten up the bike on the exit takes positive input yeah? cars will straighten themselves on exit with no input but bikes seem different.

CookMySock
13th November 2009, 06:03
to straighten up the bike on the exit takes positive input yeah? cars will straighten themselves on exit with no input but bikes seem different.Yes. And bikes are very different to cars, and until you have learned some lessons about steering at low speeds, you should make sure there is ONLY straight road in front of you at those speeds.

Steve

Maha
13th November 2009, 06:11
A few 'firsts' for you then?
Even the 150kph on the motorway.
Not alot of chance for countersteering to be used effectively on the motorway I wouldn't have thought?...:confused:

Reido
13th November 2009, 07:40
go to a car park and do figure 8s
also you should be able to do circles within the space of two (ish) car parks on that bike
practice the slow speed stuff before you do anything else.

probably why so many Ninja 250s end up crashed

Ragingrob
13th November 2009, 07:48
Went for my first long ride tonight. Prior to tonight I had done about 10 Km's on a bike, now I have done 164 Km's :woohoo:

Went down to Drury, was my first time on the motorway, I pulled up next to some guy and started chatting, told him I was going on the motorway for the first time so I followed him for about 5 Km's all good. Cheers whoever you were.

Went up to Dairy flat, went over the bridge was not as daunting as I thought (was a good thing I read the wind thread first),found out my little 250 could do 150 km/ph shhh and had more to go.

All in all was a sweet ride.

Question though: Countersteering into a corner, leans the bike over etc but to straighten up the bike on the exit takes positive input yeah? cars will straighten themselves on exit with no input but bikes seem different.

It takes some positive input sure... I.e. you can push the opposite handlebar back and the bike will straighten.

Though as the bike goes where you look, after coming around a corner you'll be looking down the road ahead, the bike should naturally straighten up and go with your head as your weight becomes more centered on the bike.

The Pastor
13th November 2009, 07:50
I only give my bike negative imput.

'damn piece of shit'

steel001
13th November 2009, 09:18
Thanks for your input, yeah I tried the slow stuff can do full lock turns and hill starts, can nearly do lock to lock figure of eights.

Don't get me wrong I know I still know very little...about bikes. The 150 was on a very straight road with no cars and no driveways or areas where other cars could come out of. Pretty much as safe as it could be without divine intervention.

But it's the twisty stuff I like, leaning the bike over, change of direction, weight distribution etc I also know I know very little about this so I am taking it easy. I understand the look where you want the bike to go but I look left, I look right doesn't mean I go there? I know the bike will gradually go straight as the weight centers but if you dont have time for gradual?

magicmonkey
13th November 2009, 09:22
Have a read through this thread:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=109863

I was asking some countersteering questions recently from a complete noob perspective and got some really good advice from these guys :)

Reido
13th November 2009, 09:31
look where you want to go helps.
But looking where you dont want to go (ie curb/edge of road/bank etc in corner) can be fatal/disastrous

look up target fixation

steel001
13th November 2009, 10:13
Cheers Magic great thread.

CookMySock
13th November 2009, 11:09
Don't get me wrong I know I still know very little...about bikes. [....] Pretty much as safe as it could be without divine intervention.er, yes, but you are not really in a position to make that call. Yet.

I understand the look where you want the bike to go but I look left, I look right doesn't mean I go there? I know the bike will gradually go straight as the weight centers but if you dont have time for gradual?No, and no.

Where you "look" just sets your target for your brain to focus on. You still have to push on the bars and ignore other little things like pegs and boots scraping on the road.

Basically what you are asking for, is the ability to steer. The bottom line is, you push on the bars, and at large angles of lean you have to believe it will work, or your brain will slay your thinking and in an emergency will stand the bike upright. Sigh, and then you will die.

You need training on the track, and you need time. You emphatically do not need practice on public roads. You will progress much much more quickly on the track. The cheapest way to play with this is with competitive pocket bike racing.

Steve

steel001
13th November 2009, 11:14
Sounds like fun Steve, where and when is the next race in Auckland? Would be keen for a look

CookMySock
13th November 2009, 11:23
Ask in the minimoto forum if you can get a little try. There is always someone willing to give newbs a burst on their bike. You will be shocked at the performance of the wee 39cc watercooled bikes. Don't lean back and cane it, lol.

Steve

michael
13th November 2009, 11:27
look where you want to go helps.
But looking where you dont want to go (ie curb/edge of road/bank etc in corner) can be fatal/disastrous

look up target fixation

Best advise I've ever taken......Its scary how much this helps

retro asian
13th November 2009, 11:49
but to straighten up the bike on the exit takes positive input yeah? cars will straighten themselves on exit with no input but bikes seem different.

Also note that a bit of acceleration (when you see the clear exit of your corner) will help your bike to straighten up....

slofox
13th November 2009, 12:39
Well. Straightening up out of a corner..?

I don't actually think at all about what I do out of a corner - I guess it just happens. When it comes down to it, I just kinda "think" straight and there it is...not a lot of help I suppose in answering the question. A lot of it is to do with body position I reckon - I always let the bike do the work in corners - no input from the arms - a little movement of weight - a little positive countersteer when necessary no doubt...I just try to be smooth and allow the transitions to flow...

Not making much sense today - brain is woolly with sore throats etc...

wingnutt
13th November 2009, 14:05
have alook here: http://www.msgroup.org/default.aspx it is usa based but has a huge amount of advice.

good luck,

cheers,

Bob

Mudfart
13th November 2009, 18:06
yeah i neva think about straightening up afta a corner either, but i do concentrate hard going into it. You and me seem to be at about the same level of experience, my 2009 ninja is upto 200kms on speedo, woot!.
hell of a bike. i have issues at the moment with how much im able to turn my head, it seems very limited.

steel001
15th November 2009, 13:13
Just back went to Kaiaua and stayed there for a couple nights, just came back this avo. Awesome roads going the back way through Clevedon,not liking the rain too much today but oh well, so just took it nice and easy.

Love leaning the bike over, but It does take a bit to pick it up and change direction (well not pick it up really cause I ain't dropped it yet :), the slow twisty stuffs the best.

Are you in Aucks mud? Could go for a ride sometime