PDA

View Full Version : Repainting - Preparation

XP@
23rd April 2005, 00:49
Hi,
The motherin-law has bought a new car so I have been told to "get that bike back together" Yeah !!! :2thumbsup:

Apart from getting a rolling chassis there is the paint work to do.
On this I have a couple of questions...

The paint on the cockpit was flaking badly as in I could flick some of it off with my nails. I've now rubbed it down, only leaving the paint that had really stuck. I just want to make sure that the primer is not the cause of the flaking paint, if it is do I have to rub all that off too? The primer seems to be stuck to the paint underneath, the paint was not stuck to it though... it looked like this:
Photo's in the bike blog (http://cbrfk.blogspot.com)

Then there is the small matter of the scrapes on the side... Any clues how to solve this, they are not too deep, but there is a few of them:
Photo's in the bike blog (again) (http://cbrfk.blogspot.com)

Edit: Gave up on trying to put images in line...

Cheers

James

Ms Piggy
23rd April 2005, 16:48
Hi James - PM Blakamin - he's da man when it comes to this sort of info.

Drew
29th April 2005, 21:00
the scrapes in the side will sand out by the looks. and as long as you have rubbed the flakey paint back to where it is glued properly, all will be fine. if you can find out what brand the origanal paint was, you can get a new primer and paint that definately wont react and flake again.

XP@
29th April 2005, 21:41
the scrapes in the side will sand out by the looks. and as long as you have rubbed the flakey paint back to where it is glued properly, all will be fine. if you can find out what brand the origanal paint was, you can get a new primer and paint that definately wont react and flake again.
I doubt I will be able to find out the brand of paint :(

I will be re-priming anyway.. so I guess if I go to a decent paint shop and tell them what I want, I should be ok???

Any clues on what to use as a filler?
There are some places where the faring will need a little filling, not much though :)