PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION about Fender Eliminator for 636

Shawn
23rd April 2005, 01:17
Hi,
Im thinking for getting fender eliminator for my 636 and just wondering if putting my number plate underneath as they show on the pic illegal in NZ?..also on the last pic, are those the rear indicators? So I probably have to get them as well..
Any suggestion would be appreciated…
Cheers
Shawn

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9585&stc=1 http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9586&stc=1
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9589&stc=1 http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9590&stc=1

bugjuice
23rd April 2005, 08:05
this is what I've done to mine (excuse the blue thingy to the left, it wouldn't stop following me)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7677

Just used 2 'double-L' shaped brackets with some extra holes drilled in, and presto! can give you a hand if you want, doesn't take too long. Brackets were about $25 for the pair (I think), and held together with the mini flashers..

the other thing about those kits you show, I've seen some bikes around with those done, and depending on what kind of rider you are, it's no good when you do stoppies - the back tyre comes up and slams the plate in :whistle:

FEINT
23rd April 2005, 08:46
If you look carefully at the bike below(above the wheel, under the exhaust), you will see his number plate folded up. There is a hinge connected to the plate and bike. So that is another way of mounting your number plate. Quite handy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/feintnz/plate.jpg

sAsLEX
23rd April 2005, 11:20
Hi,
Im thinking for getting fender eliminator for my 636 and just wondering if putting my number plate underneath as they show on the pic illegal in NZ?..also on the last pic, are those the back signal lights? So I probably have to get them as well..

According to the regs i have read, lenses for turn signals,brake lights require a standard of some sort on them, but those are just LEDS with out a lens so unsure of the regs regarding that.

EDIT just looked at some docs I have here and reason for rejection
not diffused by a lens or other approved means

Plates have to be read from behind and that can be so its sweet, half the vehicular fleet obscure their number plates more with their towbars so this could be pointed out to any plod that pulls you for that reason.

Waylander
26th April 2005, 14:09
Saw a chick on a gixxer a few weeks back his plate was back under his seat. Not sure how legal it was though cause when you looked at it from behind you couldn't see the plate, the tire was in the way. Thought it was stupid cause she had a personalized plate. What's the point if no one can read it anyway?

Anyway Bujuices design works well. It looks nice and hides those ugly black bolt holes making it look alot cleaner than the ones you've posted.

bugjuice
26th April 2005, 14:23
If you look carefully at the bike below(above the wheel, under the exhaust), you will see his number plate folded up. There is a hinge connected to the plate and bike. So that is another way of mounting your number plate. Quite handy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/feintnz/plate.jpg
until you do a stoppie or even go over a speed bump. Have you actually seen his plate?

Quasievil
26th April 2005, 14:26
I looked at doing this on my 636 and becuase of the size of the NZ plate I couldnt see how it would work

Also in my mind you would rip up your tyre on the plate

I made a bracket on the regular place and it looks and works very well

Motu
26th April 2005, 14:30
Visability of the plate is not a WoF issue,it's a Police issue - but I certainly wouldn't give it a WoF....and even if you did have a WoF it makes no difference to the cop - it's up to you to make your plate visable,Shit,why give a cop a reason to pull you over?

Funkyfly
26th April 2005, 16:23
Hi,
Im thinking for getting fender eliminator for my 636 and just wondering if putting my number plate underneath as they show on the pic illegal in NZ?..also on the last pic, are those the back signal lights? So I probably have to get them as well..
Any suggestion would be appreciated…
Cheers
Shawn

Dude, this is what i have done, i have passed numerous cops and never once had a problem, the only issue raise for the WOF was a light, which im currently sorting out. You can see it from behind no problem! Issues getting a WOF are no mudguard or reflector still, i will jimmy something up for my next WOF check.

Funkyfly
26th April 2005, 16:34
According to the regs i have read, lenses for turn signals,brake lights require a standard of some sort on them, but those are just LEDS with out a lens so unsure of the regs regarding that.

EDIT just looked at some docs I have here and reason for rejection
not diffused by a lens or other approved means

Bud, i have been looking for the regs relatinging to lenses, as you are proberly aware there has been a change recently.

The Transport (Vehicles Standards) Regulations 1990 were revoked late last year.

Regulations relating to Stop lights are now available in the Land Transport Lighting Rule 2004 a direct link to this rule is below:
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/rules/vehicle-lighting-2004.html

I cant find anything in there that states "brake lights require a standard of some sort on them" .

All i can find is......

2.1(18) In assessing whether lighting equipment complies with the relevant safety requirements in this rule, a person in section 13 may take into account:

(a) evidence that the lighting equipment is within the vehicle manufacturer’s or the lighting equipment manufacturer’s operating limits;

I have asked for detials on what this "evidence" could be? i.e a visual inspection?

Motu
26th April 2005, 17:22
The way it is now the vehicle passes all relavent standards,like specific lens markings on it's original compliance,that's why the wording was removed - so now if you change the vehicles lighting from the original compliance then you have changed them...this is shifting the responsibility of the vehicles present condition onto the owner,be aware of what you are doing because it's your responsibility.The WoF inspector is only going to check standards if he suspects it's not as originaly complied.

The shift is going over to owner responsibility for the vehicles condition,the WoF is only a visual test on the day,it has no relavence the day after.

FEINT
26th April 2005, 17:47
until you do a stoppie or even go over a speed bump. Have you actually seen his plate?

His plate looks ok. I guess it is quite high so if the wheel would hit the plate, it would hit the exhaust. I have the same thing he has and it is a hinge that can flip the plate up / down. Kind of the same thing Funkyfly posted up except with a hinge.

bugjuice
26th April 2005, 18:22
His plate looks ok. I guess it is quite high so if the wheel would hit the plate, it would hit the exhaust. I have the same thing he has and it is a hinge that can flip the plate up / down. Kind of the same thing Funkyfly posted up except with a hinge.
last time I saw it, it was buggered beyond recognition! maybe he got a new one since, or it might have been Nicks bike, but it looked well rooted. I remember looking at it and thinking that's what happens when the plate is so close to the wheel.. least I think thats what I thought and why I remembered it.. could be wrong..

I guess if you angle the plate one way or another, then it'll miss the tyre, so it'd be fine. It's just if it's square on with the tyre, that might cause you problems

stevedee
26th April 2005, 19:08
Why not just front up with $150 and buy from Hamicad.co.uk, the fender eliminator they sell uses the standard plate light, turn signals and if you drill a hole (5.5mm) even the rear reflector. Sure it is a bit of dosh but it tidies up the back and it's legal, and it fits without problems.

spd:-)

Waylander
26th April 2005, 19:12
Why not just front up with $150 and buy from Hamicad.co.uk, the fender eliminator they sell uses the standard plate light, turn signals and if you drill a hole (5.5mm) even the rear reflector. Sure it is a bit of dosh but it tidies up the back and it's legal, and it fits without problems.

spd:-)
Cause it's ugly?

Ghost Lemur
26th April 2005, 19:54
I really like some of the gear these guys (http://www.vfxkits.com) do. Particularly their Dr X tail light systems, but the Pivot fender eliminator looks sexy too.

Shawn
26th April 2005, 20:15
Ya, went down to mt. eden and mike was telling how there is a huge chance it will scrape against my back mud guard and tyre…I think I will stick with right underneath my tail…doesn’t look half bad and safe all the way…less worry…now I need some hand with putting that on and getting the brackets.. BJ I might take you up on your offer…has to get ride of the factory one, it is FUGLY…
But thanks everyone..

Also I know at least 2 guys who had to change from LED back to their original indicators to get WOF…so not sure…

sAsLEX
26th April 2005, 21:54
Y

Also I know at least 2 guys who had to change from LED back to their original indicators to get WOF…so not sure…

If you can get a 400 dollar license in West Auckland ther must be a similar place selling warrent for 40 odd bucks :msn-wink: :msn-wink:

Shawn
27th April 2005, 00:18
If you can get a 400 dollar license in West Auckland ther must be a similar place selling warrent for 40 odd bucks :msn-wink: :msn-wink:
:niceone: ..sure, so when the time comes i will look ya up, if u got the hook up for that sorta place... :msn-wink:

bugjuice
27th April 2005, 09:26
Ya, went down to mt. eden and mike was telling how there is a huge chance it will scrape against my back mud guard and tyre…I think I will stick with right underneath my tail…doesn’t look half bad and safe all the way…less worry…now I need some hand with putting that on and getting the brackets.. BJ I might take you up on your offer…has to get ride of the factory one, it is FUGLY…
But thanks everyone..

the 'mini winkers' should be ok to pass, depending where you take it
Should be less than an hour to sort you out too, just let me know when and we'll see what we can work out ;)

FEINT
27th April 2005, 09:32
the 'mini winkers' should be ok to pass, depending where you take it
Should be less than an hour to sort you out too, just let me know when and we'll see what we can work out ;)

Don't quote me on this. I was at a motorbike shop and I asked about those mini-winkers and WOF. I was told to get a VIN I need winkers with some sort of "E" stamped on it (for safety standard). To get a WOF, I don't need any stamps on the glass. Any winkers would pass.

I don't know if that is EXACTLY true, but that is what one motorbike shop told me.

bugjuice
27th April 2005, 09:46
Don't quote me on this. I was at a motorbike shop and I asked about those mini-winkers and WOF. I was told to get a VIN I need winkers with some sort of "E" stamped on it (for safety standard). To get a WOF, I don't need any stamps on the glass. Any winkers would pass.

I don't know if that is EXACTLY true, but that is what one motorbike shop told me.
Yeah, pretty much spot on, from what I've been told too, but again, this is often who you know to make sure they aren't picky over minor things like that. If you go to the mainstream VTNZ or OnRoad places, they might try to pull you up on it if they want to waste some time, but I can't image anyone being a git about it really

Motu
27th April 2005, 10:06
The way it is now the vehicle passes all relavent standards,like specific lens markings on it's original compliance,that's why the wording was removed - so now if you change the vehicles lighting from the original compliance then you have changed them...this is shifting the responsibility of the vehicles present condition onto the owner,be aware of what you are doing because it's your responsibility.The WoF inspector is only going to check standards if he suspects it's not as originaly complied.

The shift is going over to owner responsibility for the vehicles condition,the WoF is only a visual test on the day,it has no relavence the day after.
I feel like I'm wasteing my time with you guys,i don't want to type it all out again!

bugjuice
27th April 2005, 10:11
I feel like I'm wasteing my time with you guys,i don't want to type it all out again!
so what you try to say Motu? :bleh:

this is a better pic of the back of mine
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7671

Ixion
27th April 2005, 10:13

I'm not clear on whether the inspector *must* check for standards compliance if he thinks that changes have been made since initial compliance, or only that he may.

So if I fit a aftermarket spot lamp (obviosuly not a "when new" fitment) does the inspector *have* to check that for standards compliance. Or can he say the original as-VINned equipment is fine, the spot lamp passes the tests for beam aim etc, and standards compliance is my problem to explain to the police if they get picky ??

Shawn
27th April 2005, 12:23
Yeah, pretty much spot on, from what I've been told too, but again, this is often who you know to make sure they aren't picky over minor things like that. If you go to the mainstream VTNZ or OnRoad places, they might try to pull you up on it if they want to waste some time, but I can't image anyone being a git about it really

Good man...6 pack can accompany me down to ur place as well.. :drinknsin
but I gotta get these 2 items of EBAY first, so probably gonna be couple of weeks..

1. LED Tail-light (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4543158736&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)

2. Fender Eliminator Kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4543129715&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)

And if WOF is an issue i will put the original on for a day, no biggie..as long as the fricken POD doesn't mind...

Coyote
27th April 2005, 12:35
but I gotta get these 2 items of EBAY first, so probably gonna be couple of weeks..

1. LED Tail-light (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4543158736&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)

2. Fender Eliminator Kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4543129715&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)

And if WOF is an issue i will put the original on for a day, no biggie..as long as the fricken POD doesn't mind...
Is it possible to get that sorta stuff for a CBR250?

Shawn
27th April 2005, 12:42
Is it possible to get that sorta stuff for a CBR250?

umm..in STATE they hardly use 250cc...they all start with 600...but u might get lucky..look around on EBaby man...I will have a look tonight...if I do find it and you are keen we can share shipping....im getting all these send to my ex and she will send them to me since usually eBay seller's charge you double as soon as they hear international shipping...

Motu
27th April 2005, 12:47
The way it's going at the moment - lighting first,the rest,including exhausts to follow - is that when the vehicle is first complied as a new vehicle or an import...that's IT ,from then on it will have to continue to meet that compliance,and more importantly it is going to be pushed as the owners responsability to keep the vehicle at that standard.

So when your bike was complied it had say E standards on all lamps,it will have to continue to meet those requirements,the WoF inspector is no longer required to inspect each lamp individualy,that was done at compliance,no need to run over old ground - but if he suspects something has changed then they will look harder.Something obvious like a rego plate tucked up in front of the rear wheel is gunna stand out like dogs balls,duh.Everything you do will have to meet the standards it was complied under.

bugjuice
27th April 2005, 12:51

I have wondered about those tail lights - more so how they look in the flesh, and if you'd be haggered by the boys in blue for them. It's not really far enough to the side to indicate which way you're going, but I do like the idea.

Wouldn't mind trying to do something like this (http://www.highbimmin.com/pegLED.htm) too. They look pretty good..

The converstion I've done is a bit more than what you're planning on doing, so it should take a lot less time and hassle. Can help you do a converstion to tide you over, or just wait until you've got the stuff from the US. Don't mind, and it's fairly easy to do.

As for doing something like that to a CBR, I guess anything is possible. Just imagine a way of doing it

Ixion
27th April 2005, 12:58
The way it's going at the moment - lighting first,the rest,including exhausts to follow - is that when the vehicle is first complied as a new vehicle or an import...that's IT ,from then on it will have to continue to meet that compliance,and more importantly it is going to be pushed as the owners responsability to keep the vehicle at that standard.

So when your bike was complied it had say E standards on all lamps,it will have to continue to meet those requirements,the WoF inspector is no longer required to inspect each lamp individualy,that was done at compliance,no need to run over old ground - but if he suspects something has changed then they will look harder.Something obvious like a rego plate tucked up in front of the rear wheel is gunna stand out like dogs balls,duh.Everything you do will have to meet the standards it was complied under.

What about older bikes - first registered before the compliance idea existed ? So do all lamps (as an example) now have to meet the listed compliance standards ? Or does stuff just have to meet the standards (if any) that would have applied when it was first registered ? For instance it's going to be hard to get complianced exahusts for old Briddish iron nowdays.

Funkyfly
27th April 2005, 13:04

Well i got a "git", he refused to give me a WOf because my stop lens didnt have a standards marking on it.

Thats why im trying to find out where it says that a stardard marking is needed, because he couldnt show me either but still wouldnt give me a wof!

GIT!

Waylander
27th April 2005, 13:04

Had a friend in the states check those integrated indicators for his bike. Says they arn't very bright so you can hardly see them during the day so thy arn't really worht it.

And Bug, if they made those for the ZX''s that would be sweet!!!

Funkyfly
27th April 2005, 13:06
What about older bikes - first registered before the compliance idea existed ? So do all lamps (as an example) now have to meet the listed compliance standards ? Or does stuff just have to meet the standards (if any) that would have applied when it was first registered ? For instance it's going to be hard to get complianced exahusts for old Briddish iron nowdays.

Different rules for different years. Dont even need indicators for bikes produced before 1960 i think.

Ixion
27th April 2005, 13:27
Different rules for different years. Dont even need indicators for bikes produced before 1960 i think.

Yeah, but what if you have to fit a new tail lamp lense? Odds are it won't have any markings. And maybe won't actually be identical to original. More so with exhausts. Originals long unobtainable, pattern replacements may be "non-standard".

What scares me is that we're going the same way as Germany where you can't even change to a different brand/model of tyres to what the bike had originally. And once the bike is old enough that you can't get the original model tyre any more you're stuffed. (It's called homolgation)

Motu
27th April 2005, 13:34
They just have to meet the standard of their compliance date,if none were in force then none are now....,but if you retrofit,then they have to meet the standard relavent to when it was done.But not a hell of a lot pertains to bikes in that area,and it's only old farts like me who might pick up the 62 Dommi with a twin leading shoe Commando front brake,but I don't care anyway.And it's 1978 for indicators Funkyfly....

madboy
27th April 2005, 17:59
Co-incidentally I was just looking at fender eliminators the other night... concluded that I couldn't afford one at the moment and would leave it until I'd paid the credit card bill on the last accident. My opinions on plates are well known, blue tack will do.

But damn after seeing BJ's one, now I'm thinking!! Being the scrooge that I am, I was thinking maybe making one outta fibreglass myself, but seeing as they do seem to be a bit cheaper if you look around long enough I might just whip out the card.

I like the idea of a clear tail lamp as well (saw that on ebay), but I'm definitely keen to have separate indicators. Sexy is good, but bright and obvious might keep me alive a bit longer. How to find small and obvious??

bugjuice
27th April 2005, 21:30
I just used 2 number plate holder brackets at about $15 each (chromy too) and a pair of cateye flasher off TradeMe at $25 (I thunk - both prices, was a while ago). Cheap as, and sexy as..

Quasievil
27th April 2005, 21:42
Made mine out of aircraft aluminium, stronger than steel and very light, powder coated it and fitted to lights ex Boyd honda,cheap chinese ones but the work well.
end result is a very nice arse !!

bugjuice
27th April 2005, 22:04
Made mine out of aircraft aluminium, stronger than steel and very light, powder coated it and fitted to lights ex Boyd honda,cheap chinese ones but the work well.
end result is a very nice arse !!
yeah, not everyone has the same access to boff stuff like you. Some of us just make do :devil2:

sAsLEX
27th April 2005, 22:10
How to find small and obvious??

Simple make them bloody bright with some high power wide viewing angle LEDs!!!!

Gremlin
27th April 2005, 23:57
from my experience with bicycle lights (I have had some very good ones up to $200), more LEDs are not necessarily better.

The best back light I have used (and bought several, when they eventually gave out) had one LED, but used mirrors (or reflectors - whatever) to intensify the light. Bloody bright, and was brighter than a mates 7 LEDs.

And it used less battery as well, but that doesn't matter here.