PDA

View Full Version : Tyre tread cutter

saxet
14th November 2009, 08:49
Has anyone got access to a tyre tread cutter that I can make use of?. Welly area.

Kickaha
14th November 2009, 11:27
They're called a Tyre Groover, speedway guys are the most likely to have one

What is it you're trying to do?

AllanB
14th November 2009, 11:36
What is it you're trying to do?

Pass a warrant?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

(not recommended!!!!!!!)

Sidewinder
14th November 2009, 11:37
blow tourch and a peice of metal works well!

pete376403
14th November 2009, 21:41
Unless the tyre is marked "re-groovable" (eg truck / bus type tyre) if it's worn to the point of not passing a warrant there's unlikely to be enough rubber left to cut before you get to the cords

But if you really want the tool, Patch rubber in Petone sell them. fairly spendy, tho.

saxet
15th November 2009, 18:07
I'm planning to put some minor grooves as per another tyre I bought already cut. I'm after better grip in damp conditions and , hopefully, more tyre temp in all conditions. Might have to try the blowtorch and bent piece of metal.

SHELRACING
15th November 2009, 20:14
I'm planning to put some minor grooves as per another tyre I bought already cut. I'm after better grip in damp conditions and , hopefully, more tyre temp in all conditions. Might have to try the blowtorch and bent piece of metal.

I have a Ryobi best described as an electric chisel. It's great for grooving tyres and thumbs ( I have the scars to prove it). Personally I think it doesnt acheive much I ride on slicks in dry to damp conditions, Then to wets when it's raining.

The ryobi did a great job on the slicks which had plenty on rubber left according to the wear limiters. I wouldn't recommend grooving a worn tyre ie one which has reached the bottom of its tread or wear limiters.

My 2 cents worth if it's any help