PDA

View Full Version : Police warning?

Rhubarb
16th November 2009, 09:48
I've searched the threads but I haven't been able to find an answer to my question.

How do motorbikes signal each other that there is a cop on the road ahead?

I was riding back to Dunedin from Mount Cook yesterday when a car flashed his lights. I assumed there was a cop car further down the road.

About 30 seconds later a motorbike went past heading in the other direction and his right indicator flashed. I wondered if he was using the trucking method of 'right indicator = road clear, left indicator = cop ahead. If he was then he contradicted the previous car driver.

Now that we have to have our headlights on all the time (I have always ridden with it on anyway) how do we let the other bikes know about the 'revenue gathering' Mr Plod?

cowboyz
16th November 2009, 09:49
i either stick my right foot out or make with whirling motions with my finger..........................

Rhubarb
16th November 2009, 09:52
......make with whirling motions with my finger..........................

That's a great way - I'll use that.

Thanks

BMWST?
16th November 2009, 09:53
flash headlight,low to high still noticeable

cowboyz
16th November 2009, 09:56
That's a great way - I'll use that.

Thanks

yeah.. but then ppl dont know if there a cop ahead or if your just really enjoying your ride............

Rhubarb
16th November 2009, 09:58
yeah.. but then ppl dont know if there a cop ahead or if your just really enjoying your ride............

Hmmmmmm ............ good point

NighthawkNZ
16th November 2009, 09:59
or make with whirling motions with my finger..........................

When I am in a group I do this... but flash my lights to high beam, for vehicles coming the other way...

but I only do that for a couple km down the road... and if I remember and not really worried if they get a ticket or not

ukusa
16th November 2009, 10:01
About 30 seconds later a motorbike went past heading in the other direction and his right indicator flashed. I wondered if he was using the trucking method of 'right indicator = road clear, left indicator = cop ahead. If he was then he contradicted the previous car driver.

Did it flash just once? He probably just forgot to turn it off after overtaking.

mashman
16th November 2009, 10:02
whirling motions with my finger..........................

:finger: always seems to work best for me... with the bumpy roads over here ya can never tell if the guy in the opposite lane is flashing or it's just his headlight bouncing around a bit...,

george formby
16th November 2009, 10:04
If their is cause to alert oncoming traffic to a hazard I give a couple of flicks on my main beam or a slow down wavy arm signal. Cops? Your on your own, if you want to travel that quick I reckon you should be a good enough rider to see them first or face the consequences. I do flash bikes that are in traffic, the fed's normally sit on safe overtaking stretches of road & are easy to miss if your focused on getting past that campervan.
If I get pinged then I know it's bad karma after this post & bad observation on my part. Best I put my training wheels back on.

Ender EnZed
16th November 2009, 10:07
Whirling motions is easiest to recognize and what I try to do. Low to high on the headlight works better on some bikes than others, if you don't want to do the wavey-whirly-hand-dance-arm-in-the-air thing then just turning your headlight off and on again is probably best.

There is no signal that means the road is clear that's used enough to be worth anything IMO.

Bren
16th November 2009, 10:12
Yup, a circular whirly motion does the job...preferably over your helmet so you can really look the dork...but does work!

ready4whatever
16th November 2009, 10:14
turning your headlight off and on again is probably best.

Imagine if the pig saw this and you got done for riding with no headlight on. you'd have to be one sad coppa having a bad day. but I've seen shit like this

ukusa
16th November 2009, 10:18
Yup, a circular whirly motion does the job...preferably over your helmet so you can really look the dork...but does work!

Yeah, and use both hands too. It looks more realistic :laugh:

Ender EnZed
16th November 2009, 10:18
Imagine if the pig saw this and you got done for riding with no headlight on. you'd have to be one sad coppa having a bad day. but I've seen shit like this

Didn't someone on here get done ages ago for "unnecessary use of headlights" or similar for warning on coming traffic about a marked cop when they flashed an unmarked one a bit further on?

Coldrider
16th November 2009, 10:22
Didn't someone on here get done ages ago for "unnecessary use of headlights" or similar for warning on coming traffic about a marked cop when they flashed an unmarked one a bit further on?
Isn't that merely warning a fellow motorist of a road hazard ahead?

Ender EnZed
16th November 2009, 10:25

You'd think so wouldn't you?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=68332&highlight=flashed+headlights

NighthawkNZ
16th November 2009, 10:28

but I can't turn mine off... it just switches between Hi & low beam

slofox
16th November 2009, 10:29
I tap the helmet with the index finger and then hold that finger up...then I usually try for a handstand on the handle bars - one handed if I am in a tight corner....

sunhuntin
16th November 2009, 11:15

ive done that when theres been animals on the road. i once flashed a car of little old ladies about a small dog. im sure they thought "stupid motorbike, like we are going to be speeding in a 50k zone!"

ive been on the receiving end of the whirly finger and it proved successful and more reliable than a flashing light.

oldrider
16th November 2009, 15:18
ive been on the receiving end of the whirly finger and it proved successful.

Was that on or off the bike? :rolleyes:

CookMySock
16th November 2009, 17:37
If its a biker or a truckie, for the fuzz I swerve right at them and do the whirly finger. It's funny swerving at people, hehehe. They look quite startled. Usually I don't alert cagers unless they are really flying.

For an obstacle on the road in bright daylight, I dip, then flash and wave palm downwards.

Steve

Ride it till the red
16th November 2009, 17:41
I'm usually one for flashing the light to hi beam a couple times.

But on about 3 or 4 occasions I have been saved by oncoming bikes repetitively making urgent downward movements with their right hand to signify slow down. Worked a treat but you wouldn't always be in the situation to take a hand off.

Maha
16th November 2009, 17:43
I wink, not many see me through my tinted visor to be honest.

gunrunner
16th November 2009, 17:49
I hold my palm out facing meaning stop , it works for me .

YellowDog
16th November 2009, 17:54
I've always flashed my lights a couple of times.

The whurly finger thoimgy sounds like a good one to try.

FJRider
16th November 2009, 18:00

if the finger is twirled around his/her left ear ... they have not a high opinion of your riding ...

NordieBoy
16th November 2009, 18:05

How, white man.

JohnC
16th November 2009, 18:08
I save warning for things that really do matter,things like accidents ahead,cattle or similar obstructions on the road,,,,,,somebody getting a speeding ticket just isn't something that matters.:laugh:

YellowDog
16th November 2009, 18:40
How do you see where you are going?

marine0089
17th November 2009, 08:36
My light doesn't turn off either so the finger wave is the way to go for sure.

Left or right :msn-wink:

short-circuit
17th November 2009, 09:31
The whirly finger motion has always been the official warning signal...

Any deviation from this is wrong and should be discouraged

dipshit
17th November 2009, 09:39
Get yourself a radar detector. A much more reliable method.

NighthawkNZ
17th November 2009, 09:45
Get yourself a radar detector. A much more reliable method.

don't speed cheaper and just as reliable

chic 'n' charge
17th November 2009, 17:31
Normally if a bike is coming my way I wave hand in slow down motion and then point to the sky - if they haven't figured out to slow down on first one they slow down by trying to figure out what's in the sky that I'm pointing at - hee hee :laugh::laugh::laugh::bleh::bleh::bleh: