PDA

View Full Version : KLX250, KLX300 ?

Soodog
24th April 2005, 12:44
My dad was looking at a new bike for the farm, For trail riding and going through bogs. He asked me if a KLX300 or KLX250 went like and i thought that their might be someone with some info about them. Looking at 2002 KLX250 and 2004 - brand new one. and are they easy to start?

Thanks
:2thumbsup

Motu
24th April 2005, 18:45
The KLX250 was the first of the modern water cooled DOHC dirt bikes,so are a bit dated now...but there is certainly nothing wrong with them,they are considered to be one of the best in tight going.4 Stroke singles can be tricky to start,even to those who know how,the later KLXs have a few mods to solve starting problems,so try for as late as posible,but you can modify an earlier one.

Soodog
24th April 2005, 22:01
Whats the suspention like on them and what type ?

:2thumbsup

Motu
25th April 2005, 17:33
Pretty standard good suspn,upside down on the front,compression and rebound clickers front and rear,more than enough for the intended use.A KLX was on the top of my list as a trail bike recently and I spent some time reshearching about them...try Thumper Talk (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27) they have a forum dedicated to the KLX.

Skunk
25th April 2005, 19:16
I have a 2000 and a 2002 KLX250's. Both are easy (electric) starting if they are used regularly and easy hot starting. Excellent bikes and as Motu said great in the tight stuff.

Cary
26th April 2005, 08:08
Go for the 300, just that little bit better

chop
10th May 2005, 19:28
I have a 05 klx300r and its easy as to start hot or cold.Some of the earlier ones had a hot start problem but they have sorted it on the newer models.It has heaps of tourque and is easy to ride in the bush. Go for the 300

Sensei
10th May 2005, 21:28
Had a KLX650 R with a 700cc kit put in it & race filter plus I made a Big Bore pipe for it & ran it on Avgas . No other 4 stroke could get near it . Have riden a 250 & 300 ,would go 300 just for that bit extra HP

Krusti
11th May 2005, 06:14
All depends...Is he going to us it as a full time farm bike?....My atv just shat itself again too much road running etc...Bought 2 new Yamaha AG200s, electric start for less than the price of a new ATV. One for son one for me...park ATV in shed and only use when needed. We looked at klx and crx etc but would piss us off on farm. We reckon we can ride the AGs on a trail ride if we want and make some of those pussy riders look silly. All depends what its MAIN use will be.

ridespy
13th May 2005, 22:52
A friend of mine has a KLX300, he had had it for the last 4 years and treats it real bad, when it comes to maintenance, but it still keeps going day in day out. Personal for farm use I would get an XR or and AG, who want radiators to break off, if you don't have to. On the farm the simpler the better.

cowpoos
9th August 2005, 21:32
I have a klx 300....brillent bike for the farm...yes...I mean that...I can't stand ag's and crap...they are useless....I brought a dr-z 250 a few years ago for the farm and since I've had it my workers have crashed less...been more comfortable....and it handles abuse alot better than any farm type bike.
I got my klx a few months ago and I love it...my farm is 11kms long and it takes no time to wip out and check a mob of moo's in the poring rain...and I'll come back with a smile on my face every time....I figure I spend alot of time on bikes at work so I figure I might aswell enjoy myself...and the dope that reckons he'ld beat some of the facny pants bikes on a ag...what are you smoking...do you not realise how slow those bikes are...

and the klx only has compession ajustment on the front susp...and the headlight is surprising...radiators not a problem so far...but hey...insurance is cheap and thats what its for??? It starts hot or cold and flooded second kick at the most...90% of the time first kick...the side stand is crap get a long one or a plate on the bottom...bloody thing fell over all the time when u use it in a paddock...and get a 110 or 120 rear on the farm...

NordieBoy
10th August 2005, 17:24
lf...and the dope that reckons he'ld beat some of the facny pants bikes on a ag...what are you smoking...do you not realise how slow those bikes are...

AG's?
Slow?

Wellyman
10th August 2005, 21:18
250 will be lighter and more agile but if you need more power get the 300 but it will be a bit more heavy.

cowpoos
11th August 2005, 13:49
AG's?
Slow?

so its going over a jump...that don't make it fast...are you sure thats a Ag?

looks like suzuki cover over the battrey?

Any way....I think you know what I mean about slow

NordieBoy
11th August 2005, 16:26
so its going over a jump...that don't make it fast...are you sure thats a Ag?

looks like suzuki cover over the battrey?

Any way....I think you know what I mean about slow

It's an Ag100.
It didn't get that altitude being slow :D
It did get the rooted clutch and blown fork seals by getting that altitude though...

But yes they are farm bikes not racers, they're designed to grunt around at low speed all day.

But everyone gets to let their hair down once in a while :D

Kickaha
11th August 2005, 19:16
...and the dope that reckons he'ld beat some of the facny pants bikes on a ag...what are you smoking...do you not realise how slow those bikes are...

Lot of fancy pants bikes on the trail rides I do and I reckon I could beat a fair few of them on a AG,I already do a lot of them over on a IT200,just because they have the flash bike and all the gear doesn't mean they can ride :yes:

cowpoos
12th August 2005, 13:30
kichaka....hows that nth canturbury weather...I've moved up to featherston...south wairarapa...and missing all that sunshine...*sigh*

well....there must be some knobs out there if they are riding crf's kxf's etc etc if all they do is ride the straights and push them around the corners...even then...I reckon I cold beat a ag on a cross country...but hey I'll take you guys word for it...and be the big man here...I'm WRONG...there you go boy's....well for now anyway.