PDA

View Full Version : Licence dilemma

Danniel Tapfield
16th November 2009, 21:49
I came to newzealand from England with my mum ofcourse like most i came on her passport. After that i got permanent residency went to school etc etc. When it came to turning 15 i went to get my bike license i had school id an English birth certificate and proof of address however i was told none where except able. I was told to get citizenship or a passport both costing $500 i have waited untill now to get my license as i now have a 18+card. However now i am upset again with the government as im prob gonna be paying $500 for rego. Honestly i thought my licensing story was sad now its sad for everybody with this acc levy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!:spanking::Police:

rwh
21st November 2009, 02:25
Do you have some sort of certificate for your permanent residency?

It would be interesting to see if that counts as "a current certificate of identity as defined in section 2(1) of the Immigration Act 1987".

Might be worth checking out your local Community Law Centre or Citizens Advice Bureau.

Richard

Danniel Tapfield
3rd December 2009, 19:58
They wouldn't take it but i now have my 18+card so im keen to shuv that in the aa's face n c what happens.

Mom
3rd December 2009, 20:04
I came to newzealand from England with my mum ofcourse like most i came on her passport. After that i got permanent residency went to school etc etc. When it came to turning 15 i went to get my bike license i had school id an English birth certificate and proof of address however i was told none where except able. I was told to get citizenship or a passport both costing $500 i have waited untill now to get my license as i now have a 18+card. However now i am upset again with the government as im prob gonna be paying $500 for rego. Honestly i thought my licensing story was sad now its sad for everybody with this acc levy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!:spanking::Police:

Join the rest of us mate, I doubt you will find too many bikers happy about these proposed levies.

Though not so sure about the rest of your post. I also cam e to NZ on my Moms passport. Educated here etc. Never had a problem, well apart from this one time...

Mom
3rd December 2009, 20:12
Do you have some sort of certificate for your permanent residency?

It would be interesting to see if that counts as "a current certificate of identity as defined in section 2(1) of the Immigration Act 1987".

Might be worth checking out your local Community Law Centre or Citizens Advice Bureau.

Richard

They wouldn't take it but i now have my 18+card so im keen to shuv that in the aa's face n c what happens.

I am permanent resident of NZ. I went to renew a very old expired passport a few years ago. My old passport had a big full page red stamp in it that said, Right of Re-Entry for returning resident, or some such. When it cam time to renew my visa ( I travel on a Canadian passport) I rang and asked how. I was told $75, a letter requesting the transfer and the old passport and the new passport. I was refused a visa. Bit scarey really as I had lived here 40 odd years at this point. Apparently I did not exist in the system (computers and all that) despite the fact I had a re-entry permit hand stamped in my passport.

Very tiny minded, and poorly trained staff sent me a form to apply for residency! About shit frankly. Thank GOd I had an old passport and finally found someone with half a friggen brain at Infernal Affairs.

I am now legal!

I ask you, how would I have any idea how much money my father brought to NZ, I can hardly ask him, he has been gone a long time. That being one of the curly questions I had to answer on this form :laugh:

Hitcher
3rd December 2009, 20:27
Bring back the English language test for immigrants, I say.

The Everlasting
3rd December 2009, 20:50

Agreed,some cannot even speak one word of english.

But how does that relate to this thread?

kwaka_crasher
3rd December 2009, 21:49

Especially written and include those born here. Half of KB would be gone!

magicmonkey
4th December 2009, 13:51
You could always apply for a UK provisional license (no test) and then transfer that to a kiwi learners. Not sure about getting the provisional in the UK these days but I applied for mine in the post about 14 years ago, pretty sure you'll need a UK address to forward it on to you here though.

Danniel Tapfield
12th January 2010, 12:26
magic monkey thanks for the advise atm im trying to get a hold of my fam thats still in england and try get the provisional :)

Lucy
17th January 2010, 10:08
I am permanent resident of NZ. I went to renew a very old expired passport a few years ago. My old passport had a big full page red stamp in it that said, Right of Re-Entry for returning resident, or some such. When it cam time to renew my visa ( I travel on a Canadian passport) I rang and asked how. I was told $75, a letter requesting the transfer and the old passport and the new passport. I was refused a visa. Bit scarey really as I had lived here 40 odd years at this point. Apparently I did not exist in the system (computers and all that) despite the fact I had a re-entry permit hand stamped in my passport.

Very tiny minded, and poorly trained staff sent me a form to apply for residency! About shit frankly. Thank GOd I had an old passport and finally found someone with half a friggen brain at Infernal Affairs.

I am now legal!

I ask you, how would I have any idea how much money my father brought to NZ, I can hardly ask him, he has been gone a long time. That being one of the curly questions I had to answer on this form :laugh:

It's a rip off how they do that. My husband is officially English, with one of those big stickers in his passport that said 'permanent res, free to come and go forever' and yet, when his passport expired they made him jump through hoops to get a new sticker.

I've got two passports, and used to enjoy messing with their minds by leaving the country on one, and returning on the other.

Tink
17th January 2010, 10:13
We arrived in 1972 on british passports, and recently my dad was in hospital for 3 months, and we wanted to see about his pension... internal affairs said they have no record of him on file... yet we became citizens in 1980 something. I like Mom had no problem with my british birth cert, or my citizen papers etc to get my licence in 1984, so I think something in the system sounds a bit weird there.

fliplid
17th January 2010, 12:01
They wouldn't take it but i now have my 18+card so im keen to shuv that in the aa's face n c what happens. That might be the problem there!

Danniel Tapfield
23rd January 2010, 14:46
HAHA i just really hate the aa the acc and the john key HAHA

Hanne
23rd January 2010, 15:13
Agreed,some cannot even speak one word of english.

I reckon! I was only nine months old when I came here, couldn't even say my own name. It's a wonder they let me in at all

(15 years later they only had to consult 4 supervisors at the AA to accept that my canadian birth certificate did in fact mean I had been born)