PDA

View Full Version : The latest adventures of Rachel

rachprice
17th November 2009, 01:42
Well it is 2am and I cant sleep because of dam jet lag so thought I would attempt a wee write upon my trip

Dad and I always talked about going to Everest base camp and this year we finally did it!
We left on the 23rd of October (after I went to the Phillip Island GP whichw as just as fun!)
I arrived a day earlier than dad and hadn’t organized accommodation so I thought I would find something when I got there.
I knew all about the taxi drivers and how they attack you when you come out of the airport and take you to a ‘hotel they know is very good’ and how to buy a pre-paid taxi chit, which I did. I still somehow managed to get shoved into a car which I realised later was not actually a taxi (I had been played) and taken to a hotel. I left once I was there, angry that I was so dumb and ended up finding a mint place for around 7USD.
We met up with the rest of our group and go out partying Kathmandu style, which wasn’t really all that spectacular, though we had a pretty fun drunken night!
We were kicked out of two places because they were closing up.

We went for a tour around Kathmandu to the Monkey temple (Swayambhunath), which does actually have a whole lot of monkeys funnily enough, Boudhnath, the river where they burn their dead then push the remains into the water and Patan Durbar square, which was apparently an entirely separately country right in the middle of Kathmandu.
The traffic in Kathmandu is just chaos, there are no footpaths so you walk with the cars and bikes. The drivers know their boundries incredibly well! I was rather amazed!
The bikes cracked me up too, Honda hero seemed to be popular

Pic 1: River with a body being burnt
Pic 2: One of the temples
Pic 3: Streets of Kathmandu
Pic 4: Holy men

rachprice
17th November 2009, 01:50
The next day we got up early to get our flight, it is almost like whoever gets to the airport first gets the first flight.
The planes were small and flying into Lukla (the worlds most dangerous airport at 2800m) was a little hair-raising! I was wondering what all the fuss was about when we landed, as we turned at a speed an aeroplane would not normally turn at and I saw a brick wall at the end of the run way a little too close for comfort!
Our first day we descended to 2600m for the night, some of the others and I went for a walk and managed to find a pool bar, between 5 of us we put down 6 games. With a couple of hours to spare we thought this was ok…..well it turns out we all played disgustingly and the locals were watching and sometimes laughing while they waited for a game.
The next day was our biggest ascent, 1000m to Namche, it was hard going but good fun. Dad and I got in a bit of trouble for going too fast, I seemed fine and was just going a pace I felt comfortable with, but after was pretty angry at myself for potentially jeopardizing my acclimatization. As it turns out I was fine, I did wake up the next day with a little bit of a headache but drunk excessive amounts of fluid any time this happened and I was ok.
From Namche we headed to Tengboche where we watched a prayer ceremony of the monks at a temple there.
We then headed up to Dingboche, things were starting to get harder. It was still quite warm though during the day and we continued to wear shorts. Having a wash consisted of a bowl and a towel and some soap.
Our next day was up to Lobuje, it was only now that it was really starting to get cold.
We headed up to Gorak Shep dropped our stuff off then headed to base camp (5300m). We had fantastic weather to entire trip and that day was the only day we had cloud! Typical!
We didn’t stick around too long up there, just enough to take photos and play a bit of Frisbee!
We headed back to Gorak Shep for a very cold night where I struggled to breathe through my nose a bit, just unable to get enough oxygen.
Luckily though, I managed to avoid being affected too much by the altitude. Interestingly none of the women in our group were affected, but almost all the men. Often the fit ones too, which I think is more the fact the didn’t listen to their bodies thinking they could just ‘push through’ it.
Our descent was rather rapid and our group was pretty happy because we could officially have a beer! Once we got to Namche, the biggest of the towns we indulged in the local ale ‘everest’.
I had great pleasure in emailing home that night saying how I was the only one who didn’t get sick! Karma had its way and that night I ate the usual Dhal Baat (rice, vege curry, daal soup etc.) had some curry paste with my rice which didn’t go down all that well. That night I vomited everything up and continued to vomit all the way down the side of the track the next day. Luckily it was only out one end!!!
The next day I felt 100% again which surprised me after how disgusting I felt the day before.
We stayed in Lukla our last night and we went out of the town. I brought a bottle of wine then we put beers one of the credit card because we had all run out of money!! Everyone left and ended up chatting to a bunch of UK airforce guys which was quite funny and playing doubles pool with a local pool shark. I got locked out of my tea house and had to climb through a second story window which was a bit of laugh being slightly intoxicated.

The sherpa's carry ridiculous loads, one had 20 sheets of ply! and often up and over 100kg!!!

Pic 1: Base camp
Pic 2: Prayer flags + mountain
Pic 3: Everest
Pic 4: Khumbu icefall, 5300m
Pic 5: Sherpa
Pic 6: Yak

rachprice
17th November 2009, 01:58
After our trek dad and I headed to Chitwan national park, (on the border of India and Nepal) to hang out in the jungle for a few days and soak up the warmth. We went on a canoe ride down the river, I would have loved to have seen a gangetic dolphin but didnt.
We went to museums where they had an obsession with animal penises in jars. A cultural night with dancing, elephant safari where we got to see one-horned rhino’s and just generally chill out and drink cocktails on a rooftop bar or watch the sun go down next to the river with a bottle of everest.
The food was good, the weather amazing the whole time and I spent quite a bit of money buying presents and souvenirs.

Pic 1: Rhino penis
Pic 2: Beer by the river
Pic 3: Elephant bathing
Pic 4: Rhino

rachprice
17th November 2009, 02:06
Singapore, we had a night and day. We arrived at 9 at night and by the time we got our shit sorted, by smuggling me into dads room so I didn’t have to pay accommodation, it was late. Though we headed out to Raffles hotel to get a Singapore sling. I was surprised at how delicious they were, and they would want to be for $27 each!!!! Glasses of house were $17 and a jug of beer $45. There were peanuts in the shell that you would break open, eat and chuck the shells on the floor!
We walked the streets, which were rather lively for that time of night. Dad got the shits with trying to find a place open to eat and got Mcdonalds, I refused to and found a wee place just round the corner that had a plate of black bean beef for $3.50 which was really good.
In the morning we heading up the river on a boat (I spyed a hooters!) then headed to Chinatown and had the best dam lunch ever!
The trains were super easy to use and fast! I headed to Orchard road for a look then to little India.
One day was definitely not enough!! Singapore was lovely, it was hot (and quite humid) had gorgeous flowers everywhere and so clean. Everything was well thought-out and efficient, though it left me thinking it seemed suppressed almost, controlled. Like the signs saying you aren’t allowed to cross the road (must be at a pedestrian crossing).

After all that I finally arrived home yesterday at 3, managing to lose a day but rather content with my adventures.

Pic 1: Singapore sling
Pic 2: Sweet snake
Pic 3: 'Specials' board at the long bar

Str8 Jacket
17th November 2009, 06:08
WOW, awesome stuff, I am very jealous!!!!

So when you getting your arse back on the track again?....

cave weta
17th November 2009, 06:39
What a trip!!!! and what a write up! It makes compelling reading

Jealous x2:bleh:

Corse1
17th November 2009, 06:57
What a trip!!!! and what a write up! It makes compelling reading

Jealous x2:bleh:

:stupid: Simply Awsome!

Crasherfromwayback
17th November 2009, 07:22
I'm loving ya pics.

rachprice
17th November 2009, 08:46
WOW, awesome stuff, I am very jealous!!!!

So when you getting your arse back on the track again?....

Thanks love....actually been booked in for a track day at manfield on the 7th whoohoo! cant wait, hopefully have my RG rebuilt by then!

PirateJafa
17th November 2009, 09:08
Too cool Rach!

Now got a job ya slacker - you've evidently got too much time on ya hands. :D

White trash
17th November 2009, 09:36
I can see through yer shirt.:eek:

rachprice
17th November 2009, 09:47
I can see through yer shirt.:eek:

Thanks for pointing that out
Its meant to be like that :bleh:

ready4whatever
17th November 2009, 09:52
Wow, what a post. awesome trip!! now where can i get a rhinos penis from?

White trash
17th November 2009, 10:00
I'm not complaining, trust me.

Winston001
17th November 2009, 10:56
Thanks for the report Rach, I really enjoyed reading it. One of my ambitions was to walk to Everest Base Camp but I decided to do a Habitat for Humanity project in India instead. I've read many books about Everest and can picture where you went. Well done! :D

rachprice
17th November 2009, 10:59
Thanks for the report Rach, I really enjoyed reading it. One of my ambitions was to walk to Everest Base Camp but I decided to do a Habitat for Humanity project in India instead. I've read many books about Everest and can picture where you went. Well done! :D

Ahhh you can still do it!!!
Its not that expensive and age is no matter! There were a group of 70 year old Japanese men that had the same timetable as us....if they can, anyone can!

merv
17th November 2009, 11:37

If White trash could see it, we all could, so thanks for that.

As for your trip, fantastic and what fascinating photos you were able to take. The way you are handling that snake looks awesome.

Pussy
17th November 2009, 18:15
Cool write up and pics, Rach!

rachprice
17th November 2009, 21:18
Cool write up and pics, Rach!

Thanks love!

Insanity_rules
18th November 2009, 10:14
Totally jealous over here, well done. I love travelling.