PDA

View Full Version : Rust VS. Forks

John
24th April 2005, 14:56
Well at the moment I'm pissed of with my front end - the story is as follows;

I bought the bike and didnt notice it had slight rust (pitting?) at the bottom of the fork, and the fork seals broke on the ride home wreaking my brake pads.

So the spring has being wound up as hard as it can so it wont go into the rusted part, but this doesnt really give me much feel up front (the front springs are shot, and I'm getting new ones) but when I get the new ones I want to be able to remove the rust so I can perfect the suspension to my riding style!

So far I have had these possibilities of removal of the rust;

1) Drop the chrome sliders in a bath, with an electric current running through, I'm sure that would take it off?

2) Steel wool and some metal polish aparently does it also?

Anther question, In the lower part of the slider there is a little chip in the slider (chrome is chipped away) will this affect the seals? I'm under the impression that it wont?..

Thanks if you can help :niceone:

Sensei
24th April 2005, 15:10
Yes if it cut's the seal it will . Best to get them redone .Aircraft chroming is some of the best & fairly cheap to

John
24th April 2005, 15:12
Yes if it cut's the seal it will . Best to get them redone .Aircraft chroming is some of the best & fairly cheap to
thanks, do you have any ideas where I should look to get such done?

John
24th April 2005, 15:23
thanks, do you have any ideas where I should look to get such done?
Sorry answered my own question these guys seem to do similar:

Hamer Precision Ltd.
Telephone: +64 3 379 5438
Fax: +64 3 384 0397

E-mail: sales@hamerprecision.co.nz
Address: PO Box 19 827
18 Tanya Street
Christchurch
New Zealand

Kickaha
24th April 2005, 15:40
you should be able to find someone a bit closer but you want "hard chroming" like what they use on hydraulic rams and not decorative chrome

HDTboy
24th April 2005, 17:12
I know a guy who's part of Auckland Electroplaters.

You could always triple your reliability and buy a CBR though, that thing of yours make italian vehicles seem reliable

John
24th April 2005, 18:32
I know a guy who's part of Auckland Electroplaters.

You could always triple your reliability and buy a CBR though, that thing of yours make italian vehicles seem reliable
Hey dont make me start reference to how smelly you are!

Motu
24th April 2005, 19:11
I had a Husky once that had reversable fork legs,just turn them around and use the other end.Surely an idea that will get reinvented with much hooplar.

John
24th April 2005, 19:14
I had a Husky once that had reversable fork legs,just turn them around and use the other end.Surely an idea that will get reinvented with much hooplar.
I'm no mech but thats a mint Idea, but would it not effect the ability to have adjustments?

HDTboy
24th April 2005, 20:50
Hey dont make me start reference to how smelly you are!

I take it that you don't want me to ask him about your forks then

John
24th April 2005, 21:49
I take it that you don't want me to ask him about your forks then
:(... your tiger style is very advanced grasshopper.

Nah thanks for the offer but I want to check if there are any locals around here who may be able to do it (I doubt it but I would like to have my bike out of commision for the least time possible!)

I will get back onto you on the offer... Oh how are the fairings looking?

Milky
25th April 2005, 14:20
I had pitting on my forks too, cleaned them up with 400-600 + a stone,scraped all the shit out of the pits, rust treated them, coated them with epoxy resin, rubbed them back with some very fine sandpaper. Good as new now, but it took me the best part of 2-3 days to do.

scumdog
25th April 2005, 16:38
There is a propriety (sp) product (brand unknown) that is a two part epoxy type thing just for that purpose - try engineering shops for it.

Or a drop of super-glue with flour added into the pit and sanded back with finest sandpaper (finer than 1200 grit) is a method I've heard about.

FROSTY
6th May 2005, 02:22
what they said except Id sand the pit first to get the sharp edges off -sorta like painting a car -smooth it out then fill then sand again to get a flat surface