PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic debate with Charles Lamb on National Radio.

FastBikeGear
18th November 2009, 15:39
Someone knight Charles Lamb he just did a fantatic interview/debate on National Radio. He cam outrigh and said that the ACC is just plain lying. Backed it up nicely with some simple numbers and logic.

He rubbished the fully funded model.

He rubbished Nick Smiths numbers

He rubbished the sneaky move away from no-fault liability

He pointed out that we make up less than .3 of a % of ACC levies and asked why the bother with such a small group unless this was part of a larger strategy.

wingrider
18th November 2009, 15:55
Someone knight Charles Lamb he just did a fantatic interview/debate on National Radio. He cam outrigh and said that the ACC is just plain lying. Backed it up nicely with some simple numbers and logic.

He rubbished the fully funded model.

He rubbished Nick Smiths numbers

He rubbished the sneaky move away from no-fault liability

He pointed out that we make up less than .3 of a % of ACC levies and asked why the bother with such a small group unless this was part of a larger strategy.

is there a linky??

madmal64
18th November 2009, 16:01
is there a linky??

Will be soon if its just finished. Once its up online as a podcast I will post a link. That is if someone doesnt do it before I get back infront of my computer

Kennif
18th November 2009, 16:27
Someone knight Charles Lamb he just did a fantatic interview/debate on National Radio. He cam outrigh and said that the ACC is just plain lying. Backed it up nicely with some simple numbers and logic. ... He pointed out that we make up less than .3 of a % of ACC levies and asked why the bother with such a small group unless this was part of a larger strategy.

That is 0.03% of total levies. Also that ACC has $11 Billion in reserves.

twotyred
18th November 2009, 17:00
here ya go then, it was a great one alright and nice to have the panelist on side as well.

http://podcast.radionz.co.nz/aft/aft-20091118-1605-The_panel_part_1-048.mp3

The relevant discussion for us starts at 17:20 mins in and ends at about 28:00 mins

martybabe
18th November 2009, 17:17
Sweet, thanks for that.

RavenR44
18th November 2009, 17:54
here ya go then, it was a great one alright and nice to have the panelist on side as well.

The relevant discussion for us starts at 17:20 mins in and ends at about 28:00 mins

Dang, that was good to listen to.

Thanks and have a handful of bling from me.

Cheers,
Andy.

Naki Rat
18th November 2009, 18:00
Listened to it earlier. Yet again the government's basis for this is torn to shreds.

Charles would be a great input to a '60 minutes' or similar expose' of this debacle.

jam mad
18th November 2009, 21:10
you need to listen to this for some excellent information on the current ACC crisis. the programme is 'the panel, with jim mora' and the man interviewed is lincoln university's professor charles lamb. he's not even a biker and he crushes any arguments in favour of the motorcycling ACC levy fiasco.

arm yourselves with information, so next time someone looks over their beer at you and says "yeah, but you all are a drain on the ACC" or something similar.. you'll be able to calmly put them right and get them on our side.

here's the link:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/national/aft/2009/11/18/the_panel_part_1

start listening 17:20secs in.

in a nutshell:

- the no. of motorcyclists treated vs total no. of motorcyclists is very low.

- levies are already disproportionately high for motorcylists

- last year ACC took $4.2bn levies, but only $12.5m from bikers; which is 0.3% from motorcyclists ! even a huge rise to motorcylists would make no difference to ACC's revenues.

- ACC has $11bn cash reserves, it is enormously cash rich

- we have already lost the basis of a compensation scheme to an insurance scheme

- Nick Smith claimed yesterday every motorcyclist owes $3800 per bike. Multiplied by 100,000 you get $380,000,000 which is simply a bare-faced lie!!!!

StoneY
18th November 2009, 21:17
you need to listen to this for some excellent information on the current ACC crisis. the programme is 'the panel, with jim mora' and the man interviewed is lincoln university's professor charles lamb. he's not even a biker and he crushes any arguments in favour of the motorcycling ACC levy fiasco.

arm yourselves with information, so next time someone looks over their beer at you and says "yeah, but you all are a drain on the ACC" or something similar.. you'll be able to calmly put them right and get them on our side.

here's the link:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/national/aft/2009/11/18/the_panel_part_1

start listening 17:20secs in.

in a nutshell:

- the no. of motorcyclists treated vs total no. of motorcyclists is very low.

- levies are already disproportionately high for motorcylists

- last year ACC took $4.2bn levies, but only $12.5m from bikers; which is 0.3% from motorcyclists ! even a huge rise to motorcylists would make no difference to ACC's revenues.

- ACC has $11bn cash reserves, it is enormously cash rich

- we have already lost the basis of a compensation scheme to an insurance scheme

- Nick Smith claimed yesterday every motorcyclist owes $3800 per bike. Multiplied by 100,000 you get $380,000,000 which is simply a bare-faced lie!!!!

He was on stage yesterday with us man at parliament

The guy he spoke with (and notably won the debate YAY!) didn't realize the Prof was 3 feet from me awaiting the right time for the biggest crowd
He rocked at Parliament, journo's were frantically writing down the figures he said, and he said, "ACC are lying" on Parliaments steps!

While he dont ride like we do, hes a biker at heart, no shit!

Ixion
18th November 2009, 23:09
..lincoln university's professor charles lamb. he's not even a biker

He owns five motorcycles and four vintage mopeds.

StoneY
18th November 2009, 23:14
He owns five motorcycles and four vintage mopeds.

Les , I stand corrected

Prof Lamb said to me on the stage itself, quote verbatim
"Brent, I own a umber of classic scooters, and have ridden motorbikes all my life"

Forgive me for missing his full pedigree, I stated my case as understood in the wonderful gentelmans defense.

Wow 5 motorbikes AND a collection of scooters

Professor Lam ROX!!!!!!!

Ixion
19th November 2009, 00:06
He said motorcycles, but they might be scooters. I would include a scooter as a motorcycle, ceertainly the "non moped" ones.

Brian d marge
19th November 2009, 01:33
Chris trotter ,, Ive quoted him a bit in my dissertation on the new right

He is ...um on our side ,,,to put it mildly

I was stuffing up my computer ,,,so missed it

listening now !

Stephen

Brian d marge
19th November 2009, 03:36
There is one thing though , Yes I agree with what they said , but the assumption of they are making ACC fully funded because they are going to privatize it ,,,yes while it looks and we are pretty sure , it could be that they have been told to , by either investor pressure , or the imf

you cant make statements like that ...we dont actually know

Dont know ,,

either way ,,, good Panel

Stephen

peasea
19th November 2009, 05:43
There is one thing though , Yes I agree with what they said , but the assumption of they are making ACC fully funded because they are going to privatize it ,,,yes while it looks and we are pretty sure , it could be that they have been told to , by either investor pressure , or the imf

you cant make statements like that ...we dont actually know

Dont know ,,

either way ,,, good Panel

Stephen

Do you really think the Impossible Missions Force is involved covertly?

Twaz a great listen, have forwarded the link to all and sundry.

modboy
19th November 2009, 10:41
Yes, this is an excellent listen - great to have someone so lucid and clear on our side !!! Well done prof Lamb

RentaTriumph
19th November 2009, 11:27
He was on stage yesterday with us man at parliament

Charley is a Christchurch member of the Triumph Owners Club and an expert on the Isle of Mann TT. Charley has motorcycles in his garage and even has one in his lounge on display so he is certaily one of us.

Molly
19th November 2009, 14:10
Was he with the delegation that were let in to meet Dr Smith?

ckai
19th November 2009, 14:16
Charley makes me proud to be an Lincoln Uni old-boy and why their marketing papers are so top-notch :)

Charley is a Christchurch member of the Triumph Owners Club and an expert on the Isle of Mann TT. Charley has motorcycles in his garage and even has one in his lounge on display so he is certaily one of us.

Now the dude just gets better and better!

Jim Mora makes me think I should have tried harder at English in High School though. Holy shit that guy uses some big words! :eek5: I had to whip out the dictionary.

StoneY
19th November 2009, 14:19
Was he with the delegation that were let in to meet Dr Smith?

No, he was outside supporting you on public TV
Should have seen the reporters writing his data points down

He has been invited to a lobbying group I am a part of for 'after the BIKEOI' ongoing pressure

EgliHonda
19th November 2009, 14:43
Charley has motorcycles in his garage and even has one in his lounge on display so he is certainly one of us.

I used to have motorcycles inside the house.
Now I am married, and appear to have misplaced my testicles... :crybaby:

On-topic, will have a listen to link when at home, sounds good...

SPman
19th November 2009, 14:54
Finally figured out how to listen to it (no speakers on a work computer)
Click on linky...let it download...My docs.....find C:\Documents and Settings\john\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\d564srnp.default\Cac he. Sort out items by date modified and time....look for a likely sized file....move to memory stick.....add .mp3 to end of file and viola.....I can listen to it on laptop on train home!

there must be an easier way.........

Molly
19th November 2009, 20:15
No, he was outside supporting you on public TV
Should have seen the reporters writing his data points down

He has been invited to a lobbying group I am a part of for 'after the BIKEOI' ongoing pressure

That's good news. He wrote an excellent article in The Press on the ACC question and that's what prompted me to ask.

That the Government can proceed with their bullshit in total disregard for such strong and clear arguments against their case just underlines what arrogant bastards they are.

As a matter of interest, what would a full page ad in the national press cost? It'd be good to demolish the Government's position on that scale.

light
20th November 2009, 10:42

Listen from approx 17mins. Very good debate imo

Brian d marge
20th November 2009, 13:01
Do you really think the Impossible Missions Force is involved covertly?

Twaz a great listen, have forwarded the link to all and sundry.

its on their website

I posted it on here a while back

I knew I had it

http://www.imf.org/external/np/ms/2009/032309.htm

down the bottom where they suggest improvements to medical to reduce costs

Stephen

dpex
20th November 2009, 19:52
Did you all notice the comment that Obarma is studying NZ ACC with the intent of bringing it to America!

It's a fabulous system.

Sadly, sundry American lawyers will pay huge sums to some putz with a rifle to get rid of Obarma because if he does in fact induct the NZ ACC system into American law, he will fuck over more lawyers than there are grains of sand on any beach.

But Obarma sees it.

But we already have it.

And this bunch of shitheads in Wellington want to privatise it.

See the irony. America takes on the NZ Model while NZ takes on the American model.

Bring back Aunty Helen.

Brian d marge
21st November 2009, 01:25
Bring back Aunty Helen.

To late

the great unwashed have spoken ,,,,

Hopefully they wont do much damage in the few remaining years

One thing though , I maybe wrong ,,,but Legislation that suits the incoming government ,,,or is over looked by the people

sure is slow to disappear......... if at all

Stephen

XP@
10th December 2009, 21:45
Professor Lam ROX!!!!!!!
Saw the man himself on a video link in Parliament this very afternoon. He did his oral presentation to the select comittee just 2 before me he did.

He was good!