PDA

View Full Version : Thanks BMW!!!

dhunt
24th April 2005, 22:58
Not sure how to describe it but it's the best value for money entertainment I'ved had in a long time. BMW Palmerston North had 8 new bikes (5 different models) with about 1500-3000 k's on them to test ride today. Bikes came up from wellington and down from Auckland. So Naturally my mate an I had to go ride them all.

Standard Features included: ABS brakes, heated grips and the BMW badge.

Bikes were

K1200S:Very nice brakes, handles well and has plenty of get up and go. The anti dive suspension felt very impressive. My favourite bike for the day. Looks and sounds were also quite impressive.

F650CS: Very mild compared to a KTM 640, probably the best commuter bike. Had to be revved out much more than the rest but never the less was enjoyable all the same.

R1200RT: Quite cushy with heated seat and stereo but actually didn't handle too bad either. Biggest issue was the adjustable front fairing either didn't go up high enough to get out of your eyes or was really noisy all the way down.

R1200GS: Quite tall but handled supprisingly well on the road up to loose your license speeds. Offroad the gearing felt a bit tall.

K1200ST: Very nice smooth power, and handled well through the corners, was actually mildly supprised how it went for a flat twin.

We were there from about 1:30 to about 5:30 and throughly enjoyed ourselves. A very Big Thank YOU to BMW for putting this on. It really gave me a positive impression of BMW bikes :2thumbsup

Unfortunitely I don't think for your money you get 2x the bike you get for say a Suzuki or any of the other jap bikes. If they were more compeditively priced I think they were be much more popular. When I think of all the bikes the brakes are probably the thing that stood out the most. I was very impressed with the ABS braking. How quickly you could stop and didn't feel the least like locking up. Unfortuealy 20-30 minutes per bike didn't really do any of them justice. Hope this makes sense to someone. :rockon:

StoneChucker
25th April 2005, 09:13
Thanks for the write up. Had I not been at the Rally, I would have been there test riding the BMW's myself.

The only model I would think of buying would be the F650CS, thats the Dakar one right? But, in saying that, I've heard the KTM's are better bikes anyway so if I were in the market I'd probably go KTM.

It's a pity BMW's are so gutless and so bulky. They make mean sports saloons (M3, M5) why can't they make a similar bike :wait:

dhunt
25th April 2005, 09:31
The only model I would think of buying would be the F650CS, thats the Dakar one right? But, in saying that, I've heard the KTM's are better bikes anyway so if I were in the market I'd probably go KTM.

It's a pity BMW's are so gutless and so bulky. They make mean sports saloons (M3, M5) why can't they make a similar bike :wait:
The one we rode was the motard version of the dakar (belt driven, dakar is chain drive) but other than that identical i think.

I was quite supprised to jump back on my bike and find how narrow and small it was compared to the bmw's. (my bike is not very small or narrow)

StoneChucker
25th April 2005, 09:36
The one we rode was the motard version of the dakar (belt driven, dakar is chain drive) but other than that identical i think.

I was quite supprised to jump back on my bike and find how narrow and small it was compared to the bmw's. (my bike is not very small or narrow)
Yeah, I could imagine. I find it strange them trying to market sporty tourers that are so fat (not phat) :laugh:

Hey, how was the 30 mins spent? Was it a track testing, or road riding? Did they try and sell you one all day, or did they just let you ride, and make your mind up?

dhunt
25th April 2005, 09:42
Yeah, I could imagine. I find it strange them trying to market sporty tourers that are so fat (not phat) :laugh:

Hey, how was the 30 mins spent? Was it a track testing, or road riding? Did they try and sell you one all day, or did they just let you ride, and make your mind up?
Sort of had a set route from the dealership out past Massey then about 10-20ks of 100k road then supposed to go back to dealership. The adventure bikes (650CS and 1200GS) did manage to make some detures to some mud and gravel roads to test them out. Actually was supprised they didn't try and sell me anything all day.

I'm not sure I was quite the regular customer as most of them would have been 10-20 years older than me but hey I had fun. When I went in the lady asked which bike I would like to ride and I said all of them, and I did get to ride them all :niceone:

StoneChucker
25th April 2005, 10:16
When I went in the lady asked which bike I would like to ride and I said all of them, and I did get to ride them all :niceone:
Route souned fair enough for a test ride day (bearing in mind you hadn't come in specifically to test ride one on any normal day). If I went to a dealer to buy one, I'd want to take it out for a GOOD couple of hours. (Quick mention of Wellington Motorcycles here, they let me take a Buell out for a good test ride on my favourite roads, since I was and still am thinking of buying one - But, that was a little longer than usual so I heard afterwards. Still, good service)

I'm impressed with the response to you wanting to ride all the bikes. I wouldn't have been surprised if they said no, choose one. Good effort BMW, but I agree with you - they should revise their prices. Their bike range isn't the same as the car range (where the BMW badge is worth the extra cash)

Mr Skid
25th April 2005, 10:26
Thanks for the write up. Had I not been at the Rally, I would have been there test riding the BMW's myself.

By memory there are three models of F650:

- F650CS
belt drive, optional soft luggage / hard luggage / mp3 player where the fuel tank would sit, well reviewed for commuting use

- F650GS
chain final drive, conventional tank

- F650GS Dakar
similar to the standard GS, but with a 21" front wheel I think

The CS isn't suitable for off road use, as a rock in the belt drive could break the belt. The more recent models of F650 have a twin spark head claimed to give better power delivery and fuel economy.

XTC
25th April 2005, 12:59
All F650's have the tank under the seat(except for Funduro)...... CS is totally different to GS and dakar. All fuel injected too. All great bikes.....

Milky
25th April 2005, 13:55
K1200ST: Very nice smooth power, and handled well through the corners, was actually mildly supprised how it went for a flat twin.

The flat twin would be the R series, the K series being the inline 3s or 4s. F series uses the 650 single cylinder rotax engine.

Ditto with most here, I feel that you can get a better/comparable bike for much less cash if you don't buy BMW. The C1 is a case in point. It is ferking expensive - I saw a 3yo one for $22k with 1500km - different from the usual stuff, but nothing special.
They are doing some very interesting things with suspension/design, as I think they realise they can't compete on the bang for buck stage with japanese bikes, while also keeping the brand connotations of quality/luxury etc. It would be good if they kept the weight down and went to NORMAL switch gear, not the horrible stuff they have on some models. That might coax in more buyers. Then again, more buyers = lower prestige...

dhunt
25th April 2005, 14:18
The flat twin would be the R series, the K series being the inline 3s or 4s. F series uses the 650 single cylinder rotax engine.
Yip you are right it was the R1200ST ops.

Beemer
5th May 2005, 17:52
The day was hosted by the Rangitikei branch of our BMWOR so thanks to those who organised it. The bikes were supplied by Motorad in Wellington and BMW sales manager John Glasswell and his wife Linda were in charge of getting two of the bikes back to Auckland.

The CS is definitely NOT an off-road Beemer - it's what I've got and the belt drive would not go down well on gravel! It's okay through road works but I wouldn't want to take it seriously off road.

I don't think the aim was to sell a bike on the day, it was more a chance for those of us who live some distance from a BMW dealer to see the new models in the flesh and have a 15-20 minute ride on them. Anyone who wanted to take them out for longer would be talking to the dealer, not expecting to take one for a few hours at an event like this. There were dozens of people who turned up and I think the whole day went very well - some people abused the opportunity and were out for 45 minutes or more, but on the whole people were fair and the majority of riders got to take out all the bikes they wanted.

250learna
24th May 2005, 13:42
K1200S:Very nice brakes, handles well and has plenty of get up and go. The anti dive suspension felt very impressive. My favourite bike for the day. Looks and sounds were also quite impressive.

Did it have the optional ESA? And if so what you think of it?

eddy50
14th May 2006, 22:37
Hi, You should test ride a K1200S some time. I think my maybe impressed.

zadok
15th May 2006, 00:58
I've just finished watching the last episode of the Long Way Round. Those Beemers were incredible.

Crasherfromwayback
15th May 2006, 04:20
When I think of all the bikes the brakes are probably the thing that stood out the most. I was very impressed with the ABS braking. How quickly you could stop and didn't feel the least like locking up.
ABS does not belong on a motorcycle.
Sure it can save you binning it when you hit something slippery when braking, or when you're just not paying attention and grab a handful as a panic reaction.
BUT.....if you're ever faced with a situation where you CANNOT stop in the required distance before you ram into a solid object.....locking the front (or rear for that matter) and putting it down is a far better option than wearing what ever it is that's in your way.
By the time we ride big bikes, we should've learnt brake modulation skills.
No ABS on race bikes right??
To learn the skills is a far better (and cheaper) option.

James Deuce
15th May 2006, 07:20
Gaahhh, thread resurrection.

BMWST?
23rd May 2009, 21:13
.....locking the front (or rear for that matter) and putting it down is a far better option than wearing what ever it is that's in your way.

Why?
Surely an upright bike with the brakes on is still gonna slow you down more than sliding down the road on engine covers and handlebar ends.Or are you saying that a rider sliding down the road stops faster than a braking bike....I have never understood this theory.