PDA

View Full Version : Commonality of early '90s Honda electrics?

Q-no.
19th November 2009, 16:25
Hi all,

First post EVAR, and it's a question...

As soon as the awesome and shiny government decreed that we must run with lights on at all times my Honda VFR400 NC30 (1990?), decided that its headlights didn't need to work any more. Awesome, but not shiny.

The problem has been traced back to the indicator/headlight switch assembly (the one mounted on the left-hand handlebar). This is proving a little difficult to find a replacement for.

My question is... Does anyone know if other Hondas from the same era used the same switch assy?

Seems like a logical thing to do from an economies of scale/parts purchasing point of view.

Q-no.
1st December 2009, 14:19
Right. For future reference...

Despite being physically identical, the indicator/headlight switches off of '90s Hondas are NOT bolt of/bolt on interchangeable.

I sourced a switch off an NSR250 and the wiring was totally different and in no way colour coded the same as the VFR. I imagine that if you had the wiring diagrams for both bikes you could make them work. But I didn't and I couldn't (I would have got there in the end if I hadn't been able to get my hands on an actual VFR switch).

So if anybody else ever finds themselves in the same situation, try and get the switch off your own type of bike and if you can't, make sure you can find wiring diagrams for both the donor and the recpient bikes.

Brian d marge
1st December 2009, 14:35
the part number will tell you

off top off head the first numbers are the part , the middle letters numbers are the model first used on and the last are manufacturing

something like that

Anyway just look at the middle ones, I am out the door now , but can find the detail if required

stephen

hmmmnz
1st December 2009, 14:39
they make multi meters for a reason, its not hard at all to use other switch gear on a bike,
im using yamaha switches the right and a honda one on the left on a mz

Q-no.
2nd December 2009, 12:18
the part number will tell you

off top off head the first numbers are the part , the middle letters numbers are the model first used on and the last are manufacturing

something like that

Anyway just look at the middle ones, I am out the door now , but can find the detail if required

stephen

Cheers. I actually managed to track down a replacement switch so I'm all good thank you.