PDA

View Full Version : Lost!

What?
31st October 2003, 11:03
Proof that Transit, whilst making some attempt, really have got no F'ing idea...

From the Herald:

<SPAN class=headlinesbig>Roadside hazards in crash statistics</B></SPAN>

<SPAN class=copy>29.10.2003
</SPAN><SPAN class=copy>2.45pm

Roadside trees were a factor in more than 100 fatal and nearly 1400 injury crashes between 2000-2002, Land Transport Safety Authority (LTSA) figures show. Cliffs, poles, ditches, bridge ends, guard-rails and signs were also listed as crash factors. Upright cliffs were a factor in 91 fatal crashes over the same three-year period, while poles were involved in 83, ditches in 78 and bridge ends in 28. While there were fewer roadside hazards in less built-up open road areas, fatal crashes involving roadside hazards occurred mostly in higher speed environments, the LTSA said in its October report. There were 295 fatal crashes involving such hazards on open roads, compared with 82 in urban areas. In urban areas, poles were the greatest factor in crashes involving injury -- 1073 crashes where a vehicle struck a pole, compared with 589 involving trees, 291 involving signs and 286 involving upright cliffs. A pilot project by Transit New Zealand being trialled on State Highway 1 between Wanganui and Taihape and in Northland involves removing anything from the roadside that drivers could hit. The project includes filling in ditches, moving power poles or putting guard rails around them, putting wire ropes on drop-offs and removing trees and other obstacles. The trial, started earlier this year, is part of the Road Safety Strategy 2010 and would be rolled out across all state highways if successful, Transit said. Travelling at speeds too fast for conditions, alcohol and failing to give way were the three most common contributing factors in serious crashes for the 12 months to March 2003. - NZPA Herald Feature: Road safety (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storyarchive.cfm?reportID=57539)

The clowns don't even know that Wanganui is not on SH1?????</SPAN>

riffer
31st October 2003, 13:58
Why does it not surprise me that and Auckland newspaper would not know anything about geography south of the Bombay hills?

Hmmm. Bit like hearing on the telly how&nbsp;we had&nbsp;lousy weather all day when you know&nbsp;damn well it was beautiful all day and shite in Auckland....

Anyway, its tricky to get from Wanganui to Taihape at the&nbsp;best of times...&nbsp;be a real round trip, especially if you took the river road...&nbsp;

750Y
31st October 2003, 13:58
I'm not surprised. being on a bike you notice everything like that. I rounded a corner early one morning to find a tree hanging over the road from the previous nights storm. by pure luck it was high enough to allow me to duck underneath otherwise i woulda been in big trouble. I was going too fast to do anything else(stupid on my part really, even tho i knew the road really well, i wasn't expecting that, had it been on the road, i would too). the roads are pretty crappy out my way & when they do roadworks the mess is often spread out over about a mile(diesel,shingle,mud etc.) Also I find that those flexible roadside markers are sometimes too close to the road because I occasionally cop them on the shoulder.

Lou Girardin
31st October 2003, 15:09
"Remove all roadside hazards and put WIRE ROPE barriers on drop offs."
Goddamn Transit cretins, brain dead proof that Mothers should not date their sons.
Lou

fritter
31st October 2003, 16:33
Originally posted by Lou Girardin
"Remove all roadside hazards and put WIRE ROPE barriers on drop offs."

Yech.

I saw a study where they fired cadavers at those wire rope barriers to determine what effect they would have on motorcyclists etc. I'm sure you can imagine the missing limbs etc.

mangell6
31st October 2003, 16:46
Spend the money on real education of the real hazard - the person in charge of the vehicle.

Did you know that if you hit a stationery object you are usually in the wrong.

Why do people hit "objects" right in the middle of their vehicle?

:done: