PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a DRZ400SM

meteor
19th November 2009, 20:42
Ok, let me have it, warts and all. Anyone out there had one, love it or hate it? Whats good and whats not, are they underpowered? and does the exhaust and jetting mod really do that much?... What would be better option in the 400 - 600 range? There's reviews all over the net but I'm always a bit dubious about them... who's paying the reviewer? I'm keener to get an 'unencumbered' opinion if you know what I mean. Lastly some specifics... I'm about 6ft and 90 kg's and wan't mainly to commute on arterials about 10 k's to work... on fine days!

SVboy
20th November 2009, 11:17
I wont be of much use to you! I like mine, I think! It is such a change riding it from my road bike that sometimes I struggle to "get it" In saying that, I have not been off road yet. It is so easy and fun to go fast in the twisties. Very good commuter, but short service intervals. My mods have been,jetting, DNA air filter and 3x3 air box mod, Pilot power tyres, prof set static sag[came with a full yoshi exhaust]. It goes really well, exterior build quality is pretty ordinary, but thay have a good longevity reputation.Easy to service.I hated the OEM Dunlop rear tyre. So, in summary, 3 months of ownership in, I am still making up my mind! People like MORCS on here love em,but they can do wheelies and other cool stuff that I cant......yet!

Willdat?
20th November 2009, 12:25
Ok, let me have it, warts and all. Anyone out there had one, love it or hate it? Whats good and whats not, are they underpowered? and does the exhaust and jetting mod really do that much?... What would be better option in the 400 - 600 range? There's reviews all over the net but I'm always a bit dubious about them... who's paying the reviewer? I'm keener to get an 'unencumbered' opinion if you know what I mean. Lastly some specifics... I'm about 6ft and 90 kg's and wan't mainly to commute on arterials about 10 k's to work... on fine days!

I had one, and would still have it now if $ hadn't been an issue. in 2008 they were on special for summerfest for $7995 + ORC, just so you know what they ae really worth.

For me it was my first newish/non-learner bike and it was a great step up as standard. Handling was great, brakes too. For a 10km commute I think it has a great balance of power, handling, grin-factor and reliability/economy.

Downsides - small tank, seat is a bit painful, probably about perfect for the tank in hindsight...
I had some issues with starting mine if it wasn't being ridden regularly, I think these were likely battery realted rather than anything wrong with the bike itself.

Quasievil
20th November 2009, 12:27
Spend a bit more and get the best one in the class a ktm690sm

meteor
20th November 2009, 13:37
Willdat?...I had a DR250 for about 18 months as a commuter... starting issues with that too, but a higher float level, lower resistance plug cap and hotter plug sorted it.

Quasi... Yeah agreed very nice bit of kit... if money was no barrier... I also like the Husky 610.

Anything in particular I should look out for... known problems?

Quasievil
20th November 2009, 13:52
The 690sm is the new LC4 motor, the most reliable KTM engine ever, good for trackdays and great for touring.
Mileage is 260 for 13 ltrs, a drz is like 170 ?

if you an afford it, definitely the one to get for reliability

wysper
20th November 2009, 14:35
Spend a bit more and get the best one in the class a ktm690sm

more than a bit more I would say.

avgas
20th November 2009, 14:43
DR400SM is a great bike......but it has its limits.

One I test rode (Carver's ol' one), got to 150 quick......but felt boring as tea and crumpets.
Valve bouncing on 150 (!!!) is no fun. And the acceleration is too smooth.

Get the KTM (SM, Duke....whatever) or a DR650 or the XTX660 (would be my pic).

Or get a 400 trail (non-motard) bike. DR350 etc - as you dont have to custom to get her off road, and you will be content on road.

Quasievil
20th November 2009, 15:07
more than a bit more I would say.

Got mine for $10k including tyres, new plastics, KTM tank bag, Vetura, heated grips...........list goes on
Road it trackday on Saturday and it went well, toured to welly on Monday.

best bike I have owned

wysper
20th November 2009, 15:12
Got mine for $10k including tyres, new plastics, KTM tank bag, Vetura, heated grips...........list goes on
Road it trackday on Saturday and it went well, toured to welly on Monday.

best bike I have owned

Bloody hell - was that new?

meteor
21st November 2009, 06:20
Valve bouncing on 150 (!!!).

I'm only commuting so can't see me doin 150...certainly would make the 10k trip fast tho' lol. I've got 'proper' dirt bikes so won't be off roading it. But I do like the XT660X too. Don't think I'll find a KTM is in my 7-8 price bracket unfortunately.

Brainfade
23rd November 2009, 01:32
I got mine 2 years ago, then I got a Full Yoshi Pipe, RS2 I think (the Oval SS one), the Keihin FCR39 Carb (550NZ) of ebay USA, did the 3x3 airbox cut, changed the front mudgaurd, ditched the huge mirrors & rear tail light & indicators, I replaced the indicators & back light with way smaller led ones from Wheelers via the US, the Full Yoshi cost Me NZ$700 once it got here, waaay cheaper than buying the same pipe here, (I like having a strong $), ANYWAY, oh yeah, ditched the toolkit, Man, I LOVE it, twas 8k brand new, old stock K5, so, I rekon Ive spent all up at the most 10k, prolly less, on it, Including the price of the DRZ

I began to realise I wasnt really riding My R6 much anymore too, I LOVE that R6 but for pure fun, the DRZ is Choice, just needs those few mods, PLUS, the DRZ is sooo easy to ride fast round corners, bumps, gravel, road works, speed bumps etc dont really matter on the DRZ, they become fun

Sure, the KTM690 would be SWEET but costs way more, new I mean.
I dont know how much a brand new DRZ is now but when I got mine from New Plymouth via TradeMe, the shop still had 2 more at 8k, that was beginning of last year tho.

One more thing, if U drop it it doesnt matter!

Even when it was completely stock it was still a blast, with all the mods Ive done its way faster!

I had the choice of Black or Yellow, I got the Yellow one cos My R6 is Black.

Oh yeah, I added Zeta Fat Bars, the early DRZ400SMs didnt come with Renthal Fat Bars, I think they were added in 07, also I added the Skateboard wheel crash things

Finally, Ive ridden it to Aucky from Paraparaumu & back twice, the fuel range is the WORST thing about it, 2nd worst thing is the seat, OUCH

I just added a before & after pic, those original mirrors are like Sails & UGLY, in the After photo, I still hadnt changed the indicators

meteor
2nd December 2009, 16:57
I got mine 2 years ago, then I got a Full Yoshi Pipe, RS2 I think (the Oval SS one), the Keihin FCR39 Carb (550NZ) of ebay USA, did the 3x3 airbox cut.

What do you rate the gains between stock and with the mods you made? What gave you the biggest bang for buck?
I took one for a squirt today and was quite impressed, fun ride, enough poke for the short commute, nice ride position etc etc as said on here.

Not the best on the m/way and like you say... that seat! but gotta remember what type of riding I'll use it for and think it'll be perfect...

boomer
2nd December 2009, 17:02
i bought a new one, did a bit of commuting and one track day.

I sold it after teh track day... gutless piece of shit.

Hotpoker
11th December 2009, 21:03
The XT660X is as heavy as and only has a few more ponies than the DRZ.

I did the coro loop a few weeks back and a couple of my mates on their Ducatis could not catch me on the twisties! Altought I struggled to keep up on the open stretches - that is fine by me.

I use it as a commuter - 10ks also - perfect for this!

I am thinking about selling if you are interested? Want something a little bigger - the SMC most likely.
Black 2008 model, 4000kms on the clock, Pro Circuit exhaust, bark busters, and new rear tyre - in Auckland

Silage
14th December 2009, 12:31
I have had the SM for over a year. Bought it for commuting mainly and a bit of gravel road riding. It is a great commuter. Light, plenty of grunt and way manoeverable - heaps of fun to ride. It might not be great for track racing but it gets to 100kph quick enough and still pulls strong up to 130 (and I have geared mine up a little). Original tyres are good but chewed out quickly. Now on Anakee to handle gravel better but are great on seal also.

The bad bits are - killer seat and small tank (10L). Partly solved by remodelling the seat.

Morcs
14th December 2009, 13:36
A modded DRZ is fun. Its still light and nippy. Wheelies and stoppies become normal behaviour.
Mine topped out at over 160, but anything over 110 and the wind buffeting and front end lightness made motorway work a strain - maybe replacing the front mudguard with a stubby one would help this.

The seat murders your butt after 1 hour.

Other than that, seriously regretting trading mine.

meteor
14th December 2009, 21:02
Thanks all... a black 09 is on order.. gel seat, LED rear lights & jet kit coming with it. Will do the 3X3 on day 1. Just deciding on a pipe... may go ebay USA direct. Any hoo, role on January!!!

stig
14th December 2009, 22:31
I'm only commuting so can't see me doin 150...certainly would make the 10k trip fast tho' lol. I've got 'proper' dirt bikes so won't be off roading it. But I do like the XT660X too. Don't think I'll find a KTM is in my 7-8 price bracket unfortunately.

I got my '06 ktm 640sm for 7.5k, they do come up.

here's another one
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-259124858.htm

the goodies on a ktm are worth the trouble to try and find one imho.

Tony W
21st December 2009, 17:43

I bought mine new in 2005 ($11k) and still own it. It's a sweet bike and so far I have done over 43,000 km. I modded the standard exhaust and airbox to give what "felt" like a 25% power increase.
A Fun bike.

thealmightytaco
16th January 2010, 19:46
After much reading, including this thread (thanks for havin' it lads, forgot how awesome kiwibiker was), I put the deposit down on my black SK9 DRZ400SM this morning, after the third test ride (two last night, and the DR650E in between those rides, which was a bit thumpy and sluggish I thought, even with aftermarket pipe). Anyway, I'm gagging to pick it up on Monday, screw sportsbikes in the eye with a fishslice! On my home from work there's a corner with speedbumps immediately on exit and entry, I could take it as though they weren't even there, almost, had to wriggle with the bike as it went over but no "better not lean here" pottering like on the fixxer or my old gixxer, it just feels so stable, and solid, and awesome. And this suzukifest idea is brilliant, I'll have an $11k bike for $8k anyday! Includes ORC this year too.

And sure some of the more expensive machines might have more power, but the servicing and lack of reliability/lifetime involved to maintain that power rules them out as commuters for me, which is primarily what I need. Also, the 690sm sounds pretty sweet, but it has a rather "interesting" aesthetic to my eye (is the nicest way i can think to put it), otherwise I might be into that. So the DRZ gets a big fat vote from me, bring on Monday. WOO!

EatOrBeEaten
17th January 2010, 09:23
I test rode one yesterdayup at Holeshot, considering it as my first "big" bike after getting my full. I only got a very quick spin on it and it felt so different to anything I've ever ridden before I don't think I really appreciated it! It felt like it'd be a lot of fun once I got the hang of it though.

I'd be using it to commute about 50km a day total, plus heaps of weekend weekend riding and the odd track day. It's the bike I've been thinking about most of all the bikes I've test ridden so far, but I'm not 100% sure if it's right for me...

thealmightytaco
18th January 2010, 21:58
Until meteor gets in, I'll post my new DRZ experience. Picked it up after work today, with all of 1.6k's on it, my front guard had a nick on it, but before we even got to the bike Josh at Avon City told me about it and that a replacement one was on the way, to be fitted at my earliest convenience. Awesome. Isn't a terribly nasty nick but enough to make you go "hmmmm", and as Josh said it could've kind of taken the shine off the new bike vibe a bit early, but with the sweet service I'm feelin' well good about if frankly.

Anyway, took it for a 60k blat around town, running it up and down the revs for std break in procedures, engine braking through the gears etc, and damn it feels good. Josh reckoned the 2009 ones felt more powerful than the 2007 one he last rode,he couldn't tell why, whether the air box is opened up and/or carb rejetting is done std or what, but I know from breaking it in that the exhaust sounds a little bit hotter than any other stock muffler I've heard, some big fat crackles if you get the engine braking just so, I thought the number plate fell off the first time I heard it. And it felt well powerful enough to me, enough to get in into bother if I took it there, staying under half throttle till after break in though.

Other than that, I don't think I really have the experience to declare these bikes as awesome, but I'm lovin' the crap out of it, and I suspect the new models have some extra bang for their buck, so I would recommend at least a test ride of a newer model for anyone who rode one a few years ago to reach their decision on them, and for anyone contemplating a motard. MAGIC!!

carver
20th January 2010, 19:33
I think they are bit bit shit, slow and they do about 125km to reserve!

thealmightytaco
20th January 2010, 22:15
Gotta disagree with ya there carver, obviously I think they're awesome, is well fast enough for me (getting the nose up wouldn't be a problem if I was keen enough), and breaking it in I only got to 90kms before I hit reserve.

90kms, and 7.5L.

That's doin' crazy breakin' in accel/decel everywhere so chewin' some gas, but 7.5L is ridiculous all the same. Safari tank might happen earlier than planned.

carver
21st January 2010, 20:21
haha, i had one for a while.
get a headshake at 160?

thealmightytaco
21st January 2010, 21:09
Dunno, only got to 120 on the demo bike and havent tried on my one, still doin' the half throttle break in.

Better news on the gas front though, after another 90kms it was only 6L, doin the accel/decel's a bit less and getting a bit more idling in, so the gas should get better. And I started to feel the seat tonight, so a 125km limit might be for the best for now.

meteor
22nd January 2010, 22:56
Until meteor gets in...

I'm back.. Well picked it up yesterday, spent the afternoon replacing that tail thing with a DRC Edge kit and LCD light, took the seat strap off, next up LCD indicators with an electronic relay. I've got a dynojet kit ready for the 1000 K service just need to source a yoshi or a two brothers exhaust for it... Can anyone help there???

Anyway, with the f%$^#n rain here in AK I only managed to get out today for about 50K. Luv'd it! Nimble enough, good ride position, enough grunt to keep me happy in the traffic so far. Just running in tho'! As a commuter it'll do me fine. Seems good and stable on the cornering. I'm well happy so far!

Oh I know there's the doubters but each to their own... dredging the net shows a few that don't rate them but shitloads that absolutely luv 'em. The downside... even after only 50Ks... the seat! but easily rectified with either a gel seat or... more pies!

Cheers

meteor
22nd January 2010, 22:59
thealmightytaco... your ride summary is spot on... enjoy!

boomer
23rd January 2010, 08:41
haha, i had one for a while.
get a headshake at 160?

my experience tells me they're shit, THEY"RE GUTLESS !

carver
24th January 2010, 08:15

agreed.
i had to rape my one just to keep up

motards suck

sportsbikes rule

or get a real trail bike

thealmightytaco
24th January 2010, 09:17

Disagreed, I only get into top gear once it's near illegal to go any faster, and I don't care for much faster than that. And other than that, it's as good as anything else I've thrown around town, I'm not really up for killing myself though.

Sportsbike's are too twitchy and real trail bikes need too much maintenance.

carver
24th January 2010, 20:21
i like my DR650, its a better bike than a drz sm if you look at the big picture

thealmightytaco
24th January 2010, 21:02
I test rode the DR650 between testing the DRZ,the DR air cooled mega reliability was attractive, but engine felt less powerful and was thumpy as, and overall it didn't ride as nicely as the DRZ I thought.

We could be comparing dirt and street bikes though, I do zero actual dirt/trail riding, all street/commuting, and for that I was rockin' on the DRZ. DRZ could be complete pants on the trail for all I know though, and I imagine the DR rocks the crotch off it off road.

SVboy
26th January 2010, 10:48
I really like mine now. Took 4000kms to get it. With my mods-jetting/airbox/full yoshi/pilot powers, it is a fun wee bike. Just great on the shit roads on banks penninsula.

meteor
26th January 2010, 16:14
Hey SVboy, what mods gave you the biggest gains? Did you do a bit at a time or all in one hit? Also what'd the full Yoshi cost you??
And also what a pilot powers?

SVboy
28th January 2010, 11:20
Meteor. I got the bike with the full yoshi system on it and standard jetting, and it ran poorly. I took it to Avon city Suzuki. They did the jetting thru trial trial and error, fitted a free flow DNA air filter and did the 3x3 air box mod. They also set the static sags for the suspension. This sorted the power and it has a lot more than standard. I found the OEM Dunlop tyres , especially the rear, to be shit, in my opinion. I LOOOOVE the Mitchelin pilot powers I fitted-transformed my opinion of the bike! Where did you get your DRC edge kit, and how much?

meteor
28th January 2010, 12:45
SVboy, I'm hunting down an exhaust now, options are probably Two Brothers, Yoshi, or a new one here called Doma (unless of course you want to give me your Yoshi!). DRC stuff I got thru Wheeling Cycles in the States. Got the LED indicators, LED light and DRZ kit plus post landed here for $190 NZ. that was $40 cheaper than anyone here and I had it in six days. If you do put LED's on you need to put a IC relay in too, ($US22.).

Websit for Wheelings is: www.wheelingcyclesupply.com

SVboy
29th January 2010, 08:34
Thanks for that. Consider also a CYCLEWORKS full system from Wellington. They advertise on Trademe.

Mikkel
29th January 2010, 09:53
I test rode the DR650 between testing the DRZ,the DR air cooled mega reliability was attractive, but engine felt less powerful and was thumpy as, and overall it didn't ride as nicely as the DRZ I thought.

We could be comparing dirt and street bikes though, I do zero actual dirt/trail riding, all street/commuting, and for that I was rockin' on the DRZ. DRZ could be complete pants on the trail for all I know though, and I imagine the DR rocks the crotch off it off road.

Any advantage the DR650 might have on the gravel would come down to it having proper off-road wheels and a softer suspension setting - it'll be heavier and the engine will not have any significant advantage, if anything it'll most likely be more chunky at it's low end making it more difficult to put the power down without loosing traction.
Ultimately it boils down to skill - I went for a ride with a mate who's done plenty of trail riding (I haven't...). He was on a DRZ400E with motard wheels and pilot powers. I was on my husky 610SM with Pirelli M60R (dual-sport type tyres). He rode up no worries while I got badly stuck in the mud and had to have a bunch of mountainbikers give me a hand... :(

Air cooling is all good as long as you are moving - if you get yourself into some hairy off-road stuff it can become a liability since the bike will be working hard without really moving forward much.

I really like mine now. Took 4000kms to get it. With my mods-jetting/airbox/full yoshi/pilot powers, it is a fun wee bike. Just great on the shit roads on banks penninsula.

Motards are wonderful, provided you don't feel the need to sit at 200 km/h - or have the need to ride long distances. It's not a sportsbike, and a comparison is not really relevant. Also, being able to go for a hoon down a gravel road without having to worry about fairings holds its own rewards. Still, 53 bhp to the ground (for the Husky) is less than a third of what a modern 1000 ccm sportsbike can achieve - but it's not all about the power.

What I'd really like would be a proper registrable motard with a reliable, snappy engine putting out around 75 bhp - but they just aren't there yet. The DRZSM has a nice and smooth engine, they are actually very nice to ride - but they do lack punch. The husky on the other hand is generously handing out large chunks of torque down low, but gets a bit flat up top - and it feels lazy in it's power delivery (at least compared to the 510TX enduro I had a go on once - what a lovely lively engine).

Buddha#81
29th January 2010, 21:16
Any advantage the DR650 might have on the gravel would come down to it having proper off-road wheels and a softer suspension setting - it'll be heavier and the engine will not have any significant advantage, if anything it'll most likely be more chunky at it's low end making it more difficult to put the power down without loosing traction.

Gazbur (DR650) and I (DRZ400E) had many battles at levels both bikes were fairly standard with GSX250 wheels there were nothing between the bikes. Slip streaming down the back straight you pull out for the pass and end up sitting side by side looking at each other. power and handling there was little between the two. Gremouth street races I seemed to have a advantage.

carver
30th January 2010, 09:59
Ultimately it boils down to skill - I went for a ride with a mate who's done plenty of trail riding (I haven't...). He was on a DRZ400E with motard wheels and pilot powers. I was on my husky 610SM with Pirelli M60R (dual-sport type tyres). He rode up no worries while I got badly stuck in the mud and had to have a bunch of mountainbikers give me a hand... :(

Air cooling is all good as long as you are moving - if you get yourself into some hairy off-road stuff it can become a liability since the bike will be working hard without really moving forward much.

Motards are wonderful, provided you don't feel the need to sit at 200 km/h - or have the need to ride long distances. It's not a sportsbike, and a comparison is not really relevant. Also, being able to go for a hoon down a gravel road without having to worry about fairings holds its own rewards. Still, 53 bhp to the ground (for the Husky) is less than a third of what a modern 1000 ccm sportsbike can achieve - but it's not all about the power.

What I'd really like would be a proper registrable motard with a reliable, snappy engine putting out around 75 bhp - but they just aren't there yet. The DRZSM has a nice and smooth engine, they are actually very nice to ride - but they do lack punch. The husky on the other hand is generously handing out large chunks of torque down low, but gets a bit flat up top - and it feels lazy in it's power delivery (at least compared to the 510TX enduro I had a go on once - what a lovely lively engine).

Ah, all the old XR's were air cooled.
water cooling is for tighter tolerances, not to prevent overheating.
The DR has a oil cooler too....

Motards suck in high wind, rain or if you want to go explore a area with few gas stations

Mikkel
30th January 2010, 10:12
Motards suck in high wind, rain or if you want to go explore a area with few gas stations

They certainly are tiring in high wind (speed induced head winds included), rain doesn't bother me anymore on the motard than on the sportsbike and I get almost 250 km to a tank.

carver
30th January 2010, 17:30
got a safari tank on it?

if you want to do gravel, you need a 19-21 inch to make it cope well.

thealmightytaco
30th January 2010, 22:16

Wind you can still tuck up in, gas, can't argue with ya, but I've done rain twice now, heaps better than the gixxer. Motard seems magic over unseen steel covers that lie in wait midcorner too, only hit the smaller variety so far though, I'm sure a big one will still be a party.

Quasievil
31st January 2010, 09:25
mmmm tyre is a tyre they slip[ on any bike, might be easy to control with the wide bars if ya quick n good.
Takes me back to Paeroa 09, rain on the track, first hairpin I binned it................in practice, no one told me that pink spray paint meant manhole cover on the racing line...............TWATS

thealmightytaco
31st January 2010, 22:23
Hmmmm, I just feel a bit safer going to that point on a motard, was always scared of going there on a sportsbike for some reason. Probably just what I'm used to, thrashed a few farm bikes, doing 50m powerdrifts on an RM80 in a freshly plowed kumara paddock a favourite, but never made it to the dangerzone on a sportsbike.

meteor
5th February 2010, 18:34
Ok, done a few hundred K now, the seat thing is ok, better than I expected, but I'm used to dirt bikes...an SV650 I took for a blat felt like an armchair.
The small tank thing... yeah, first tank to reserve I got 88km! but the last one I got 100 K out of 6 ltrs so probably around 160 to 180 to empty around town.
Not so bad. Lights and indicators all done and look good imho, jet kit, air box mod and exhaust next but have to wait... my son just killed his KX85 and I'm up for $900 to repair. Kid's!!!

thealmightytaco
5th February 2010, 18:49
Ok, done a few hundred K now, the seat thing is ok, better than I expected, but I'm used to dirt bikes...an SV650 I took for a blat felt like an armchair.
The small tank thing... yeah, first tank to reserve I got 88km! but the last one I got 100 K out of 6 ltrs so probably around 160 to 180 to empty around town.
Not so bad. Lights and indicators all done and look good imho, jet kit, air box mod and exhaust next but have to wait... my son just killed his KX85 and I'm up for $900 to repair. Kid's!!!

Yeah the seat isn't that bad, after an hour you do start to feel it, but I think you could get 2, maybe 3 hours before you're swearing it at.

And the tank thing! I just learnt yesterday, and tested it today, the odometer is in miles!!! They have the option to switch what the speedo reads in, kms or miles, but that doesn't change the odo, it always reads in miles. I thought I too was only getting 90~100kms to 7L, but we're actually getting 150~160kms to reserve, which is freakin' sweet for the amount of fun you can have on it.

So yeah, check out a ride on google maps, see what it reckons the kms are, then go do it on your DRZ, and google will seemingly have overestimated by a factor of roughly 1.6, perfect miles to kms ratio.

thealmightytaco
5th February 2010, 22:10
Just did a 2hr suburban adventure, seat was sweet as, you do start to feel it after an hour, but do a stand up every 20 mins or so to refresh and it's fine.

Did another mileage test at the start too, made a fixed trip from home to a cafe up the port hills, and yet again the odo was out by the exact miles to kms ratio. Shame they can't make the little comp work it all out.

mattsdakar
6th February 2010, 11:01
Yeah the seat isn't that bad, after an hour you do start to feel it, but I think you could get 2, maybe 3 hours before you're swearing it at.

And the tank thing! I just learnt yesterday, and tested it today, the odometer is in miles!!! They have the option to switch what the speedo reads in, kms or miles, but that doesn't change the odo, it always reads in miles. I thought I too was only getting 90~100kms to 7L, but we're actually getting 150~160kms to reserve, which is freakin' sweet for the amount of fun you can have on it.

So yeah, check out a ride on google maps, see what it reckons the kms are, then go do it on your DRZ, and google will seemingly have overestimated by a factor of roughly 1.6, perfect miles to kms ratio.

I'm getting up to 320km out of a tank, safari tank that is, $400 on trademe score so that issue is sorted, I've got plenty of padding on my arse so seat doesn't bother me!

meteor
6th February 2010, 15:51
Yes thealmightyytaco (you've gotta get a shorter name) you're absolutely right, I just did a measured 10K ride... 6.2 on the trip and odo. Speedo was set for kph too. So that makes my milage figures look better. Around 55 to 60 mpg and roughly 200 km out of the wee 10 ltr tank around town being nice and conservative as I'm still running it in. That'll do me about 2 weeks commuting per tank. $17 for 2 weeks riding = very big smile! I'll take a pic or two of the DRC kit... be up soon.

meteor
6th February 2010, 16:24
Here ya go

http://tinypic.com/r/2m9p3k/6

http://tinypic.com/r/wl4r3c/6

hope that works

thealmightytaco
6th February 2010, 17:30
Yes thealmightyytaco (you've gotta get a shorter name) you're absolutely right, I just did a measured 10K ride... 6.2 on the trip and odo. Speedo was set for kph too. So that makes my milage figures look better. Around 55 to 60 mpg and roughly 200 km out of the wee 10 ltr tank around town being nice and conservative as I'm still running it in. That'll do me about 2 weeks commuting per tank. $17 for 2 weeks riding = very big smile! I'll take a pic or two of the DRC kit... be up soon.

But that's my name! Just type taco, until another taco comes along anyway.

DRC looks nice, I'd be keen to get some more subtle mirrors too, I'm sure there's some panoramic button type mirrors you can get that sit directly on the bars inside the grips, buggered if I know where to get them though.

meteor
29th March 2010, 18:38
Well I finally got round to those mods. The DRC tail tidy and LED indicators, then the jet kit and finally the 3x3 and pipe. A FMF Q4 which is a tad quieter than the Powercore and just a bit louder than stock. Result... big smile, about 10-15% across the range [I think] feels like 2nd pulls like 1st used to if that makes sense. So very happy..... for now!

NOID
6th April 2010, 12:50
Well sorry to drag up and old thread boys. durring the long weekend i got talking to a mate who said that he knows a guy who was building a DRZ400E up into a street tard, had the wheels etc all there, then he said that he was thinking about selling it .I couldnt pass up the offer so i rang him.... iv always had a soft spot for the 400SM but could never afford one. this friend of a friend want 3.5k for it all reg wofd etc with the 17s, new rubber etc

my question is are they any good on the open road ? 100km + trip on non bendy roads ? as a suburban assult bike there ok iv heard, great commuter, track wepon their not, all though i may take it to roys hill every now and then to fill time in between bucket races. . . might even do the odd trail ride/adventure thing . . just swap over to the mx wheels.

but streight god boring roads what are they like ? like every other 250cc 4stroke sports bike . . . slow and gay ? let me know

Cheers NOID

Quasievil
6th April 2010, 12:57
Well sorry to drag up and old thread boys. durring the long weekend i got talking to a mate who said that he knows a guy who was building a DRZ400E up into a street tard, had the wheels etc all there, then he said that he was thinking about selling it .I couldnt pass up the offer so i rang him.... iv always had a soft spot for the 400SM but could never afford one. this friend of a friend want 3.5k for it all reg wofd etc with the 17s, new rubber etc

my question is are they any good on the open road ? 100km + trip on non bendy roads ? as a suburban assult bike there ok iv heard, great commuter, track wepon their not, all though i may take it to roys hill every now and then to fill time in between bucket races. . . might even do the odd trail ride/adventure thing . . just swap over to the mx wheels.

but streight god boring roads what are they like ? like every other 250cc 4stroke sports bike . . . slow and gay ? let me know

Cheers NOID

I wouldnt have thought so personally mate, but re gear it on those trips, easy !

thealmightytaco
6th April 2010, 13:57
I wouldnt have thought so personally mate, but re gear it on those trips, easy !

Yeah, might hit 150~160k but otherwise it's only magical at legal speeds.

meteor
8th April 2010, 14:32
...my question is are they any good on the open road ? ...but streight god boring roads what are they like ? like every other 250cc 4stroke sports bike . . . slow and gay ? let me know... NOID

The SM is not a long distance cruiser so you're going to get the wind as you would on any other dualsport albeit a 250 or a 650. With some mods the DRZ is fun even at 130 or more (so I've heard). Never had a 250 sports but a couple of 650 V twin nakeds I've ridden at 100+ still suffer from the same thing. End of the day a boring road is a boring road... Enjoy

carver
9th April 2010, 19:45
motards are over rated

NOID
9th April 2010, 21:21
motards are over rated

just coz they dont ridie over bridge tops !!! :shit:

meteor
10th April 2010, 16:22
just coz they dont ridie over bridge tops !!! :shit:

ha ha money where the mouth is... I double dare you Carver... no seriously, that would be very silly and irresponsible and would give motard riders a bad name cause we don't fang about the streets... do we?

carver
10th April 2010, 22:18
ha ha money where the mouth is... I double dare you Carver... no seriously, that would be very silly and irresponsible and would give motard riders a bad name cause we don't fang about the streets... do we?

well, as a ex motard rider, i did that all the time...
but uh, a trials bike would be better for it haha

wysper
16th April 2010, 12:05
So seriously - as a fun round town bike, commuter and very occasionally adventure type ride, would you seriously pick the 650 over the 400sm?

meteor
16th April 2010, 12:56
So seriously - as a fun round town bike, commuter and very occasionally adventure type ride, would you seriously pick the 650 over the 400sm?

Personal choice mate, ride both then decide. My 400 is a wee bit livelier than stock because of the mods but it'll never be a Vtwin or have that torque. Am I happy with it, yes, for all the reasons on this thread. The SM is a good safe fun commuter and more and will easily do what you want...

DesmoDAZ
16th April 2010, 22:25
To quote Micah / AF1 Racing in the states, "If the SXV 5.5 is heroin then the CRF450R is methadone and a DRZ is baby's aspirin." Micah AF1:chase:

carver
17th April 2010, 18:55

yes i would

Cayman911
18th April 2010, 11:18
Would KTM motards be any better than a DR ?

posted couple videos on the forum a while ago, after watchin those it seriously made me want to get my hands on one. maybe the 690sm? or even the 500's
although they would be much costier... that could certainly be a factor

carver
18th April 2010, 13:16

posted couple videos on the forum a while ago, after watchin those it seriously made me want to get my hands on one. maybe the 690sm? or even the 500's

hmmm, when i tested the Duke 690 i thought it has more go and a better feel to it, the 690 engine is better, but the older ktm road legal stuff is so much more vibey and not that much faster...
the DRZ is a better road going all round motard, it is the soft option

wysper
18th April 2010, 15:07

probably would - especially if you ask quasi! But for me price comes in to it too and the KTM's are just too much for me at the moment.

wysper
18th April 2010, 15:08
Personal choice mate, ride both then decide. My 400 is a wee bit livelier than stock because of the mods but it'll never be a Vtwin or have that torque. Am I happy with it, yes, for all the reasons on this thread. The SM is a good safe fun commuter and more and will easily do what you want...

I am pretty sure my next bike isn't going to be a v twin. The torque is one of the things I am going to miss most!

DesmoDAZ
18th April 2010, 19:18
[QUOTE=Cayman911;1129722576]Would KTM motards be any better than a DR ?

Hell yes! x 70% better.

Cayman911
18th April 2010, 20:01
Hell yes! x 70% better.

awesome, http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/120099-Epic-Motard-vid.-KTM-onboard that second vid is what got me thinking about the KTM's, ive always had the DR in the back of mind too,
but you just cant deny the awesomeness of that, and its not being able to do that on a sports bike which gets me thinking about motards in general.

The Pink Panther
25th April 2010, 12:20
A mate has a new drz sm . they are heavy even for a 400 trail bike, they have no power . you wont win a tard race on one . if you put one on a diet
throw 4 k at the motor to get some HP out of the donk. a ktm will still have more power and handle better .
They are a bike that cannot compete at trail/enduro or tard at the pointy end of the field . just commuter .

meteor
25th April 2010, 15:42
IMHO the DRZ is just a 400 street bike first and foremost. It can be made/adapted to do other things but at a cost! Comparing it to the track oriented KTMs of 600 cc or more or big thumper dual purpose bikes adapted to motard is really not apples with apples. How many brand new KTM or Aprilia motard specific bikes have a ride away price of under $8K... The DRZ is a cool cheap fun wee commuter end of story.

But oh if I had the money... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-286148764.htm

Enjoy it for what it is.

badblackbuell
2nd May 2010, 20:05
Got one, love it! Rid myself of a Gixer Thou to get it and am happy as and not looking back.
The seat sux. Mileage aint any different to all the other bikes I've had. You need a 3x3 airbox mod, a muffler and a jet to make them work and a 43t rear sprocket helps the wheelie scenario.
Avon distanzia are the only long lasting tyre with the correct profile for front AND rear wheels that has offroad capacity without suffering oin road. Thats my blast. Thank-you and good day sir.

wysper
3rd May 2010, 09:34
yes i would

You win - I now own a DR650SE 07.

carver
3rd May 2010, 18:47

haha, you'll find it way better on the gravel than a 400sm, i once took my 400sm on some of the beaches around the loop
it was cool jumping it off banks and onto the sand, but at 80k, the front wheel wont cut into the sand, it kinda snowploughs!

meteor
3rd May 2010, 20:06

Oh no, dude, you sold out to the dark side! LOL. Must have been all that pressure Carver put on you eh. Enjoy.

Hey badblackbuell, they are fun with the mods eh! Can't figure why they are so clogged up out of the factory?

wysper
3rd May 2010, 21:01
Oh no, dude, you sold out to the dark side! LOL. Must have been all that pressure Carver put on you eh. Enjoy.

funny you say that... some smart alec road riders are suggesting I have traded down, but I can't wait to get dirty!! :stoogie:

carver
4th May 2010, 16:42

Hey badblackbuell, they are fun with the mods eh! Can't figure why they are so clogged up out of the factory?

emmissions, i hear the carb is the big mod for one

funny you say that... some smart alec road riders are suggesting I have traded down, but I can't wait to get dirty!! :stoogie:

runsome cheap vee rubber adventure tires, just watch em in the wet...
my old k2 DR was faster than my k7

Bulldog
5th May 2010, 23:42
Yep thumpertalk.com have a Keinen FCR carb kit they can ship to your door. It's not cheap but apprently with 3x3, full pipe, jd jet kit and carb....you're making good power. keep in mind that by then you've spent nigh on $2500 on mods and you're heading into better motard territory. I was in exactly this place with my 400sm. I had been riding mine to work each day for a year and I loved it I simply wanted more power. I was looking at doing above as well as a big bore kit. In the end I went for the better motard ie KTM 525 exc or THE BEST street motard the Husky 610SM. Now my ultimate bike for all rounder and commuting to work would be the new KTM 690SMC and if I ever find $14k spare I would have to think seriously about one of these. The real brain buster is telling yourself that you're about to spend $14k on a motard!!! eek!

NOID
17th May 2010, 18:03
well iv turned to the dark side. :yes: got a 2002 DRZ400 kitted out with 17' rims with talon hubs. not an SM model. goes well enough for me atm, bring a huge smile to my face every time i ride it :Punk:

Shorty_925
17th May 2010, 21:29
well iv turned to the dark side. :yes: got a 2002 DRZ400 kitted out with 17' rims with talon hubs. not an SM model. goes well enough for me atm, bring a huge smile to my face every time i ride it :Punk:

Going to bring that up with your bucket to roys hill?

NOID
18th May 2010, 18:57
yep plan on it. learn how to ride it !!! way different to a bucket. plus my bucket needs work done on it

ital916
19th May 2010, 16:17
Can the jet kit be installed on drz400 without removal of the carb or does the carb need to be removed? Heard you can just heat the top of the airbox with a hair dryer and use a craft knife to od the 3x3? Already got a k&N and aftermaket header on the way. Will keep the stock pipe, look pretty nice as is, might debaffle it though to get it flowing a bit free-er.

Just picked up a 09 sm model, just waiting for the jet kit to arrive in two weeks.

rogson
19th May 2010, 20:30
Yep, carb needs be removed - mainly because its highly unlikely you will be able to remove the float bowl screws if you don't (i.e. assuming they are the OEM Phillips head type screws) Also, if you want the best/optimum result you should check/reset the float level when you do the rejet. Doing this requires removing the carb.
Don't heat the airbox! Heat the knife if you must - but its not necessary.
JD or Dynojet kit?

ital916
20th May 2010, 12:11
Yep, carb needs be removed - mainly because its highly unlikely you will be able to remove the float bowl screws if you don't (i.e. assuming they are the OEM Phillips head type screws) Also, if you want the best/optimum result you should check/reset the float level when you do the rejet. Doing this requires removing the carb.
Don't heat the airbox! Heat the knife if you must - but its not necessary.
JD or Dynojet kit?

Getting a dynojet kit, arrives in about two weeks. Was going to go with the JD which comes with multitapered needles (can someone fill me in as to why that is good?)..maybe the dynojet kit does too. Bit of a crash course in jetting carburettors haha.

The DJ kit says go with a 155 main jet for a aftermarket pipe or a 150 for a stock system. Im doing half half, im replacing the constrictive header but leaving the stock pipe minus the baffle in the tip and the spark arrestor. SHould I go for the 150 or 155?

Bulldog
20th May 2010, 23:21
If you guys do nothing else, head to thumpertalk drz forum it's brilliant and you can buy all kits etc directly from them. They have pictures and video links to do everything.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/list/25

badblackbuell
21st May 2010, 12:32
Totally true about the carb, the bit I didn't mention was I've done a Full Yoshi Titanium exhaust, Yoshi 40mm Flat-slide, Yoshi STR cams, Yoshi ignitor box, BMC filter and stripped as much weight off I can and still keep it legalish. 4th gear clutch-ups is goooooooood! :Punk:

I find beach riding is good, ever wonder why an RV90 goes good in the sand? Bubble tyres man!

badblackbuell
21st May 2010, 12:40
Just had a perve on you-tube. Carver, you are my new hero!!!

carver
22nd May 2010, 11:52
Just had a perve on you-tube. Carver, you are my new hero!!!

I think if you watch a few more of the films you'll retract that statement

watermellon
2nd June 2010, 19:43
... a DR650 or the XTX660 (would be my pic).

Thanks for that. Made me re-think my next bike.