PDA

View Full Version : Help! No spark

flyingcr250
20th November 2009, 17:46
does anyone know how to check the coil on a bike? ive had the plug out and pressed it up against the head then kicked it over to check for spark and there is none, ive checked all the connections, sanded rust and paint of the frame were the coil bolts to, still no luck, so is there a way of quickly testing the coil to see if its buggerd???

p.dath
20th November 2009, 17:48
Have you tried testing the spark plug against your tounge while turning the bike over?

Just kidding.

noobi
20th November 2009, 17:53
have you tried an ammeter on the end of the plug lead see if theres any volts coming through

flyingcr250
20th November 2009, 17:58
have you tried an ammeter on the end of the plug lead see if theres any volts coming through

no, but i assume iuf theres no spark then theres probably no volst comming through,

if i hooked the coil straight up to the battery and used a 12V light bulb to see if there was continuity would that be a sufficient test?

noobi
20th November 2009, 18:12
no, but i assume iuf theres no spark then theres probably no volst comming through,

if i hooked the coil straight up to the battery and used a 12V light bulb to see if there was continuity would that be a sufficient test?

probably, do the other electrics on the bike work?

secondfield
20th November 2009, 18:12
Christ no dont do that... :lol:

Take it to an auto elec to be sure, a continuity test wont prove much - there is a huge amount of inductance involved with the coil. They generally have a set amount of resistance also, dont know what this should be, due to their being thousands of turns of copper inside.

barty5
20th November 2009, 18:19

try another plug before you go to far with it they can just fail and sometimes even seen new out of the pack be fails.

flyingcr250
20th November 2009, 18:23
oh my god! im such a tool!!!

in tightening up a bolt in the mess of wires behind the headlight i accidentally pinched the killswitch wire, so it was earthing on the frame cutting the ignition.

let the abuse and ridicule begin:weep::weep::weep:

EDIT: oh yea it goes now too :)

IIIRII
20th November 2009, 18:27
FFS sake I was just going to tell you how to test the coil....
:P
:)
I did wonder about something like that

noobi
20th November 2009, 18:28
nice one noddy

camchain
20th November 2009, 18:28
If no spark, use cigarette lighter instead
...to burn it.

Edit: er, and soak your finesse-less fingers in petrol first.

barty5
20th November 2009, 18:36
a dont feel too bad im sure your not the first to do it although there is a good chance you are got watch them wires

flyingcr250
20th November 2009, 18:43
If no spark, use cigarette lighter instead
...to burn it.

Edit: er, and soak your finesse-less fingers in petrol first.

i had the fuel but no lighter, this is what happens when you only have one working light in your 3 car garage. lol

camchain
20th November 2009, 18:59
Ha, you're right about working in low light. Last time I did that I left the carb intake stuffed with a paper towel plug after replacing air filter. Next day, I cursed what I thought was a fouled plug. Didn't think your electrics would have packed up while sitting on the bench. Don't feel too bad mate, super easy to make the odd daft mistake!

vr4king
20th November 2009, 19:42
But you didnt try to kick start a dirty 4t for about an hour to find the same problem

Grrrrrr

flyingcr250
21st November 2009, 07:12
But you didnt try to kick start a dirty 4t for about an hour to find the same problem

Grrrrrr

ha ha ive seen countless guys and girls trying to start their bikes with the exhaust plugs still in, infact there was a guy at a maramarua ride that did exactly that lol:girlfight:

green machine
21st November 2009, 08:14
ha ha ive seen countless guys and girls trying to start their bikes with the exhaust plugs still in, infact there was a guy at a maramarua ride that did exactly that lol:girlfight:

I reckon we all would have done that at least once.....though the best part is not telling them and waiting to see how long it takes them to notice...lol