PDA

View Full Version : Oops! Added water to Gel Battery.

Motig
20th November 2009, 18:14
Bugger these new fangled things. Went to charge The Dynavolt battery thought the waters a bit low and topped it up before charging. Now I find its one of these new fangled things that doesnt use water - so does that mean I've stuffed it or is there a rescue remedy ? :beer:

YellowDog
20th November 2009, 18:23
If it doesn't take water, it will be sealed and you won't be able to add any.

KiwiGs
20th November 2009, 19:00
How did you get the water in? and how much water did you get in?

Motig
20th November 2009, 19:52
Not to worry, it'll be fine on looking at the website its not a gel its just low maintenance a bit of water probably wont do a hell of a lot to it.
Seriously do you guys never look at a battery and figure if I take that bit of it should reveal ?

kwaka_crasher
20th November 2009, 20:49
Seriously do you guys never look at a battery and figure if I take that bit of it should reveal ?Sure. But I for one don't do it to anything that's sealed for a reason like say a maintenance-free battery.

The reality is if you're adding much water to a low maintenance battery (not the same thing as maintenance-fre) you need to check the battery age and state then check the bike's charging system.

AllanB
20th November 2009, 20:54
My new one is a Sealed Gel thingy using some fancy new fiberglass stuff inside it. No way to open it unless you have a hacksaw handy ....:lol:

Motig
21st November 2009, 05:39
The low maintenance has a sort of rubber strip which you can just prise up. Living in the old days naturally thought it was a another option instead of the little plastic caps that you had to unscrew. I guess if I had one of those sealed gel ones you could just drill the holes, ay! :whistle:

slofox
21st November 2009, 11:11
My new one is a Sealed Gel thingy using some fancy new fiberglass stuff inside it. No way to open it unless you have a hacksaw handy ....:lol:

Old fashioned can openers work too...:whistle: