PDA

View Full Version : TS's Write up, VMCC Rnd 1 2005

Two Smoker
25th April 2005, 14:13
Hey everyone,

Before I start my race report, HUGE THANKS TO MOTORACER (give him heaps of rep points) for taking my bike down :niceone:

It was a cold morning at Manfield and I was very nervous because I had never done the long track. Met up with a few KB racers (Nicko, johnboy and vfr_dan) and got my bike ready for the days racing.

First up was Qualifying. I headed out towards the front of the pack, latching onto Craig Sullivan's SV650 and SVS. I was taking it nice and easy, getting used to the track and bike again. The long track is simply AWESOME, huge amounts of corners with heaps of technical ones. I was quite happy sitting behind them and put down some lap times.

First race was up. We were given our Grid positions at the dummy grid, I was shocked to find out that I had qualified in 6th place, with a 2:12 to my name. Now i was even more nervous about the race. I went out and did my warm up lap and got as much heat into the tyres as I could. Lined up on the grid, revved my engine, down the flag went and i slipped the clutch. Then NOOO too much clutch, up came the front wheel and i bogged down to 8000rpm... ah well. I was now in about 8th place, flew into turn one and went around the outside of about 3 people. I was now behind Craig and gaining on him, I felt really good and on the second to last lap got him under brakes. WOHOO 4th PLACE!!! Now i just needed to hold it there. Managed to hold it there even though i had a little moment of going slight too hot in to one of the sweepers. I put down a 2:07.2 as my fastest lap.

Second race. I was really pumped for this one, and a whole heap of top racers, like Mike Smith, Nicko and Motoracer, said they were going to watch me race. So out I went in first place to warm up my bike. Got to my grid position then "cough-cough, splutter-splutter, DEAD" NOOOOO my bike died, I tried everything, kill switch and ignition, but to no avail. I pushed my bike to the side of the track where one of the marshalls tried it. Nup dead as a dodo. So I hoped of my bike and jumped the pit wall, then another marshall tried it and screamed at me "ITS GOING!!!" I jumped back over the pit wall, just as the green flag dropped. Hit the start button, DOH DEAD AGAIN!!! So I started to push the bike, and the marshalls gave me a push as well, first gear, pop the clutch WOOHOO SHES GOING AGAIN!!! By this time, the last rider was just going around the hairpin at the end of the straight. I slipped the clutch like mad in 1st, and HAD to get past everyone as fast as I could!!! Well within the first lap I had past 10 people!! Stoked, but have to go faster.. I pushed it as hard as the bike could go, doing some very demon overtaking and sliding the bike over the oil patches. Every so often my bike would splutter and cut out, all I was thinking was "Please dont stop!!!" I finished the race, and the bike didnt cut out. I later found out that I had gone from 37th to 9th in 5 laps!!! The best thing was Racey Rider got it all on Video!!! In that race i was still managed to do a 2:07.6.

It ended up that the battery terminal was loose (had a felling that was the problem, and i was right) so tightened up those and got ready for the last race.

The last race was a sprint race, 2 laps, and it was all about the start. Sitting on the start line, revving my bike, slip the clutch, NOO too much clutch and the front wheel comes up "DOH" I watched a whole heap of bikes go past... Slowly but surely i wheeled most of them on, and ended up coming 5th, just behind Craig Sullivan.

The other 3 riders infront of me were Hayden Fitzgerald, Jason Nalm and Derek Hill some of the fastest F3 and F2 racers in the country. I was happy just to be on the track with them beating me.

Ive got a ground clearance problem, my pegs are grinding nearly every corner. So im going to do a small modification to them and see if i can drop another second off my times.

Huge thanks to MR, Nicko and ofcourse Chloe :niceone: Also to the KB'ers that came over and said gidday and came to watch...

Cheers, Chris

ktulu
25th April 2005, 14:24
Good shit bro, fucken good on ya

justsomeguy
25th April 2005, 14:31
The other 3 riders infront of me were Hayden Fitzgerald, Jason Nalm and Derek Hill some of the fastest F3 and F2 racers in the country. I was happy just to be on the track with them beating me.

............... and how long have you been riding again???:whistle:

YOU DA MAN CHRIS....... SOON YOU AND MR ARE GONNA TAKE OVER THE COUNTRY :2thumbsup:

Milky
25th April 2005, 14:48
Well done brother. Sorry to hear about the battery terminal, probably my weak wrists tightening it up :o A little practice might be necessary before I help at putting bits on the 600...

Keep getting results like that and sponsorship will have to come your way. :niceone:

Coyote
25th April 2005, 14:57
I had an awesome time. Got the fastest streetstock lap :2thumbsup Shame I crashed and DNF race 2 and 3 and wrecked my bike

Racey Rider
25th April 2005, 15:40
Second race. I was really pumped for this one, and a whole heap of top racers, like Mike Smith, Nicko and Motoracer, said they were going to watch me race. So out I went in first place to warm up my bike. Got to my grid position then "cough-cough, splutter-splutter, DEAD" NOOOOO my bike died, I tried everything, kill switch and ignition, but to no avail. I pushed my bike to the side of the track where one of the marshalls tried it. Nup dead as a dodo. So I hoped of my bike and jumped the pit wall, then another marshall tried it and screamed at me "ITS GOING!!!" I jumped back over the pit wall, just as the green flag dropped. Hit the start button, DOH DEAD AGAIN!!! So I started to push the bike, and the marshalls gave me a push as well, first gear, pop the clutch WOOHOO SHES GOING AGAIN!!! By this time, the last rider was just going around the hairpin at the end of the straight. I slipped the clutch like mad in 1st, and HAD to get past everyone as fast as I could!!! Well within the first lap I had past 10 people!! Stoked, but have to go faster.. I pushed it as hard as the bike could go, doing some very demon overtaking and sliding the bike over the oil patches. Every so often my bike would splutter and cut out, all I was thinking was "Please dont stop!!!" I finished the race, and the bike didnt cut out. I later found out that I had gone from 37th to 9th in 5 laps!!! The best thing was Racey Rider got it all on Video!!!

Yep, have just transfered it onto VHS tape. Quite inspirational really!
Will bring it down to next months meet for you if I get there.
Also got some of that other bloke on there. Whats his name?? Motor----?
And Alarumba's crash.

Riff Raff
25th April 2005, 15:54
Wicked stuff chris. You were fuckin flying out there. Pretty cool to watch. Now if you EVER use that damned phrase of "I'm a really slow racer" or "nana rider" on this site again, I will personally come & kick your arse!!

Two Smoker
25th April 2005, 17:11
Wicked stuff chris. You were fuckin flying out there. Pretty cool to watch. Now if you EVER use that damned phrase of "I'm a really slow racer" or "nana rider" on this site again, I will personally come & kick your arse!!

hhhhmmm, "I'm a really slowish rider"? "I'm a moderately fast rider"? "Grandad rider"? "I'm a medium speed rider"?

....maybe i should make a poll....

Motoracer
25th April 2005, 18:50
Awesome write up Chris! As I said before, that was most impressive!!!

Good shit! :niceone:

Now if you EVER use that damned phrase of "I'm a really slow racer" or "nana rider" on this site again, I will personally come & kick your arse!!

I second that!

Two Smoker
26th April 2005, 07:32
Awesome write up Chris! As I said before, that was most impressive!!!

Good shit! :niceone:

I second that!

Cheers mate :niceone:

Yep, i think im ready to move upto "Medium Speed Rider" now...

svs
26th April 2005, 10:13
You were right on the pace on Saturday Chris - good on ya.

I had a bit of a 'mare really. My fastest lap of the day was in the practice session. Good enough to pull off 5th on the grid which I was really pleased about, but a combination of crap starts and getting too caught up with what everyone else was doing meant I finished 12th/12th/11th.

Hooks
26th April 2005, 10:19
Well done Chris ... what I saw of you guys before I had to go was awesome !! Both of you were getting around really well. Next time we'll organise a better breakfast and then you should be really firing when you hit the gas !! :ride:

Oh and I'm glad the rain held off too ..... :whistle:

Kwaka-Kid
26th April 2005, 20:13

Thirded!

However WICKED SHIT! Wholey crap i didnt realise it was this much of a feat.!

Well done dude, top effort indeed... like that style! Give us some tips next time we catchup will yah :D and what tyres u currently running?

Two Smoker
27th April 2005, 10:30
Thirded!

Well done dude, top effort indeed... like that style! Give us some tips next time we catchup will yah :D and what tyres u currently running?

BAH!! I need tips off you... Im running Pirelli Supercorsa's 120/70 SC1 on the front and 160/60 SC2 on the rear...

Cheers everyone :niceone:

Firefight
27th April 2005, 11:16
Bloody good effort man, shit we got some good up and coming racers at KB.

keep at it Chris :ride:

F/F :niceone:

nicko
27th April 2005, 17:38
Thirded!

Fourthded!

Wicked ride Chris, you are riding that thing waaaay beyond it's limits which is bloody impressive. Get some rear-sets before you grind those pegs to the frame!

Two Smoker
27th April 2005, 17:57
Fourthded!

Wicked ride Chris, you are riding that thing waaaay beyond it's limits which is bloody impressive. Get some rear-sets before you grind those pegs to the frame!

LOL, but i want them to look impressive like my RG pegs.... but really, im going to head out to a alloy engineering shop, to see if they can do my mod to my rearsets so i can get some more lean and higher corner speed...

vfr dan
5th May 2005, 19:58
Hey all,

Been of the the computer for a bit these days and got to get up to speed, yeah Chris you did do well, i on the other hand a "mere' to coming to grips with my well modified vfr since last year did ok finishing in the late teens for the day.
Will be different come next round, have ridden alot and im looking at keeping on ya tail.Good to meet you guys and that, will see ya up at taupo this sun?

Vfr Dan

Kwaka-Kid
5th May 2005, 22:23
Top effort there then Dan.

Hope you learnt a little about jumping in here talking the talk..... then having chris walk the walk for you :P

Woulda worked against most of us here... but dude... comparing urself to chris straight away? Sorry man! Seriously worryingly fast... and even if u think ull hold his tail next time.... haha! again, his rate of progess has been astronomical! from just getting outta learner stage to prolly the fastest F3 racer on stock bike in no time.

You and I dan on our mere hondas can only watch from a very distant place.

Milky
5th May 2005, 22:35
You and I dan on our mere hondas can only watch from a very distant place.

Damn right. It sure ain't rider skill that is getting him to where he is.

SPORK
5th May 2005, 22:52
Woh! Crazyawesome write up!

Can you sign my GSX-R that you're sending to me? :D