PDA

View Full Version : compression dampening on nc30 rear shock

mini_me
25th April 2005, 17:27
as per title, does anyone know if this is possible to do?
went over the shock with a fine tooth comb this arvo and i couldnt see anything that looked likely to do it.
the problem im having is that the rear is really soft and jumping around when cornering, bad lieutenant(sp) said I needed to crank the compression dampening up.
and does anyone know if an rgv 250 rear shock will fit, and if it does anyone know where i can get one from.
cheers
m/m

Two Smoker
25th April 2005, 17:44
Possibly a remote reservoir???

badlieutenant
25th April 2005, 17:52
just a quik note mini. Your shock is stuffed. I thought you needed more preload but with next to no damping and the same with the rebound all that would do (cranking up preload that is) is give you a sore ars as you ride a hard tail and scary moments when you bounce after hitting really big bumps. Ill try and do a search for the name of the guy I recommended to someone else on this site and or get his number from my mate. He rebuilt my shock (which I might add was off a bike that had only done 2000kms) for $215 which is a bloody cheap option considering he made it work better than almost new as well as fitting a regas valve. It starts getting dearer if he has to start making new bits for it, which I wouldnt have thought your bike needed. There is no way in hell Id have been able to maintain the pace we were making in the weekend without my shock in its current state. Be warned tho. Once you fix the rear youll possibly notice how bad the front is :D
Do it do it do it!!! at present your bike will eat you up if you get in a spot of bother. Oh and you'll notice less rear tyre wear as well :D

mini_me
25th April 2005, 17:59
Your shock is stuffed.

i knew as much...but im just wanting to get something sorted for the interim period b4 i get a new one (the number of that dude would be really helpful)

Once you fix the rear youll possibly notice how bad the front is :D

yer, cant be as bad my zxr250 forks, so i can put up with it for a while at least

Oh and you'll notice less rear tyre wear as well :D

i think most of my tire wear so far has come from that bloody puncture and having to ride with a nearly flat tire for a few k's

m/m

badlieutenant
26th April 2005, 01:49
his name is gouden gizler (probably sp there) and he lives near 22 :D cant remember the name of the town. oh and heres his number 09 236 9023
magua was going to use him late last year but I havnt heard anything since give him a pm (or hes looking) and he might be able to tell you how it all went for him :D

mini_me
26th April 2005, 18:46
thanx heaps dude, ill give him a bell
m/m

aff-man
26th April 2005, 18:50
Let me know how it goes. the CBR shock is pretty munted as well

mini_me
26th April 2005, 20:46
what about an nc29 shock?, will that fit into an nc30 swingarm and whatnot

badlieutenant
26th April 2005, 23:13
pass. The quik look at yours in the weekend looked very similar to mine except that i dont have a remote res. Having said that the nc29 wasnt a single sided swing arm was it? would that make a difference ? try a search on the vfr forums that are around heres some links
vfr fourms (http://www.hondavfrclub.org/forum/)
and another (i dont know this one) (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?)

Kwaka-Kid
27th April 2005, 06:36
Hey dude... ALL NC30 rear shocks stock came out with compression dampening adjusters. It is located on the chain side of shock, below the spring... you end up putting a flat head screwdriver between chain and swingarm (on underside) and adjusting that way. As for what fits.. sheesh, i had a big list once and like there are hundreds of bikes shocks that fit, its really amazing how universal they are... unfortunatley the RGV shock is a fair bit longer.. however VT250, NS400, old CBR1000's, and other such ones fit, search online is all i can suggest...

If your one doesnt have the adjuster all i can think is someone switched it with a VT one or the likes as many of them didnt have any adjustment short of 6 preload settings.

:)

mini_me
27th April 2005, 12:51
Hey dude... ALL NC30 rear shocks stock came out with compression dampening adjusters. It is located on the chain side of shock, below the spring... you end up putting a flat head screwdriver between chain and swingarm (on underside) and adjusting that way. As for what fits.. sheesh, i had a big list once and like there are hundreds of bikes shocks that fit, its really amazing how universal they are... unfortunatley the RGV shock is a fair bit longer.. however VT250, NS400, old CBR1000's, and other such ones fit, search online is all i can suggest...

If your one doesnt have the adjuster all i can think is someone switched it with a VT one or the likes as many of them didnt have any adjustment short of 6 preload settings.

:)

the little screw on the bottom of the shock is rebound dampening not compression, and it is a standard nc30 shock not a vt one

m/m

badlieutenant
27th April 2005, 12:54
mini have you tried adjusting it at all ? you might be lucky and someone has just set every thing at nothing :D

mini_me
27th April 2005, 13:02
thats what i was thinking but i can find any compression dampening on it to check but i have cranked the rebound rite up (was about half)
and sort of toying with the idea of turning the preload up a bit but if im gonna get anywere fixing the problem i need the compression dampening otherwise its rebuild time...(which is where its gonna go anyway)
m/m

DEATH_INC.
27th April 2005, 19:14
what about an nc29 shock?, will that fit into an nc30 swingarm and whatnot
No,it's miles different....

Slingshot
27th April 2005, 22:33
It's damping, not dampening!!!
"If you hear a suspension modifier say dampening, you should politely excuse yourself and make haste in the opposite direction."

John
27th April 2005, 22:39
It's damping, not dampening!!!
"If you hear a suspension modifier say dampening, you should politely excuse yourself and make haste in the opposite direction."
Where have I read that before ??...

Slingshot
28th April 2005, 17:49
Where have I read that before ??...

Here (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/suspensionadjust/)

I was going to credit the site...but forgot.