PDA

View Full Version : Women wear ‘White Helmets’

Bob
26th April 2005, 00:15
Lance Corporals Julie Jones and Stephanie McGinn, 26 have joined the Royal Signals White Helmets display team - the first ever lower-ranking female soldiers to wear the headgear.

In order to join the elite team and perform on their 30 Triumph Tiger 750cc machines, Jones and McGinn had to complete a three-month training course.

Lance Corporal McGinn’s acceptance into the team is made all the more remarkable when you consider she had never ridden a motorcycle before taking training! said "I had never ridden a motorcycle before entering the team so it was quite a challenge."

The 30 riders of the display team are all Royal Signals soldiers, who provide communication systems for Army operations.

Only two other female officers have worn the traditional headgear since the White Helmets were founded in 1921; Captain Kyra McAnulty, who left the team in 2002, and Captain Lisa Giles, who left in 1998.

Motu
26th April 2005, 07:54
I thought the modern Tiger was the 900cc dualpurpose triple? so show me what a display unit Tiger 750 looks like...maybe they are still using the old 750 twin Tiger??

Bob
26th April 2005, 08:58
I thought the modern Tiger was the 900cc dualpurpose triple? so show me what a display unit Tiger 750 looks like...maybe they are still using the old 750 twin Tiger??

I think you're right:

http://image16.webshots.com/16/5/42/23/189654223DvORBJ_ph.jpg

Sorry it is so pixellated, but when you Google, you take what you get!

Motu
26th April 2005, 10:22
Hey,that's pretty good! The thing I most miss about the old bikes was their versatility,one bike could cover all your riding needs,now you need a bike for every purpose...

Ixion
26th April 2005, 12:04
Hey,that's pretty good! The thing I most miss about the old bikes was their versatility,one bike could cover all your riding needs,now you need a bike for every purpose...

Well, I did know a guy try to take his Norton Atlas over Thompson's Track.

But some of the big trailies/adventure tourers could cover most requirements nowdays .

Motu
26th April 2005, 12:14
That's why I ride the dual purpose bikes these days - I just can't see the point in riding a bike that goes...oh shit!,loose metal,road works,wet road,slip,bump,sand,whatever - I don't give my bikes any excuse for not being up to it.

Oscar
26th April 2005, 14:19
Well, I did know a guy try to take his Norton Atlas over Thompson's Track.

But some of the big trailies/adventure tourers could cover most requirements nowdays .

I know some guys who took a Toyota Starlet over Thompsons Track.