PDA

View Full Version : Who of you rich folks are off to Webbs today?

HenryDorsetCase
25th November 2009, 14:23
http://www.webbs.co.nz/auction-item/1973-bmw-r90s

r90S

http://www.webbs.co.nz/auction-item/1977-harley-davidson-caf%C3%A9-racer

XLCR ($50k plus: dreaming, surely)

http://www.webbs.co.nz/auction-item/1948-indian-chief

Indian Chief anyone? (pick me!)

http://www.webbs.co.nz/auction-item/tribsa-flat-tracker

could be fun.

I was entreated to "just look, and not buy anything"

Max Headroom
25th November 2009, 14:26
I'm planning to attend, simply to watch rich people buying toys . . . .

HenryDorsetCase
25th November 2009, 14:30
Pick me up an Indian Chief while you're there: $1 down, $1 a week for the rest of my natural.

I GS 1
25th November 2009, 22:38
What did the R90S go for? I believe it is mint.

LBD
26th November 2009, 00:03
Wouldn't mind having that Harley....I can remember drooling over those during my last years at school....

Voltaire
26th November 2009, 06:35

Yes its very nice, but not " out of the crate ' as described by the Auctioneer.
I have been anorakly informed that the tank pin lines on the lower part of the tank rise too early.:rolleyes:

It was I gather a New Old Stock rebuild done about 10 years ago. Its value now lies in the fact it has not been ridden.
But hey....each to his own.:msn-wink:

I wan't paying that much attention but over 20K....
cheaper than the Rocket 3 at 50K

I personally liked the pre unit Triumphs, old, stylish and still usable.

Max Headroom
26th November 2009, 07:37

It went for $23k.

At the last Webbs auction it only got to $16k and was passed in. This time, bidding opened at $20k and climbed very quickly, and then stopped at $23k. I later spoke to the underbidder from the last auction, and he was shocked at the result. I'm guessing he'd hoped to own it last night for $16k - $17k.

It would be kinda cool to own a bike featured in a few marque-specific books. OTOH, it's value would collapse if its owner ever decided to actually ride it. A very expensive ornament . . .

I GS 1
26th November 2009, 13:53
It went for $23k.

At the last Webbs auction it only got to $16k and was passed in. This time, bidding opened at $20k and climbed very quickly, and then stopped at $23k. I later spoke to the underbidder from the last auction, and he was shocked at the result. I'm guessing he'd hoped to own it last night for $16k - $17k.

It would be kinda cool to own a bike featured in a few marque-specific books. OTOH, it's value would collapse if its owner ever decided to actually ride it. A very expensive ornament . . .

Thanks for that. I had heard of one going for $30k in the states. Must say it looks very nice in the book. I guess Falloon would have checked the rise of the pinstriping against the artist's signature under the tank. I believe they all had their own charateristics.

Max Headroom
26th November 2009, 14:36
Thanks for that. I had heard of one going for $30k in the states. Must say it looks very nice in the book. I guess Falloon would have checked the rise of the pinstriping against the artist's signature under the tank. I believe they all had their own characteristics.

The factory pinstripers had their own style, within limits. They all conformed to a set profile though.

This is a restored & repainted bike though, & the work was carried out in Sydney, OZ. I understand that Falloon bought the bike AFTER it had been completed. There are many who decide not to slavishly adhere to factory patterns when repainting an R90S (including me!), but when the subject is a big-budget, high profile restoration such as this for which claims are made that it's factory perfect, it had better be right. This one is close, but the anorak inside of me reckons that it misses out on the cigar. It features in two of Falloon's books and is held up as an example of R90S perfection, but it just isn't quite there IMHO.

my $0.02

grotto
27th November 2009, 21:30
Missed the auction. guide prices seem high but maybe I'm just getting old.
I guess if you're only earning 3% in the bank, investing in these could be smart?

I GS 1
28th November 2009, 11:01
The factory pinstripers had their own style, within limits. They all conformed to a set profile though.

This is a restored & repainted bike though, & the work was carried out in Sydney, OZ. I understand that Falloon bought the bike AFTER it had been completed. There are many who decide not to slavishly adhere to factory patterns when repainting an R90S (including me!), but when the subject is a big-budget, high profile restoration such as this for which claims are made that it's factory perfect, it had better be right. This one is close, but the anorak inside of me reckons that it misses out on the cigar. It features in two of Falloon's books and is held up as an example of R90S perfection, but it just isn't quite there IMHO.

my $0.02

Just realised who you are. Red pinstriping? Beautiful bike you have. Must say since I bought an 1150GS I don't ride mine much anymore - but still love it and after 34 years couldn't imagine parting with it.

Max Headroom
28th November 2009, 13:51
Red pinstriping?

Yep. I'm a deviant . . . :laugh: There's several other detail changes too. Still, it's a matching numbers bike which retains the important stuff which set the R90S apart.

I do about 5,000km a year on it, including the local BFTP rides and a rider training day at Hampton Downs a few weeks ago. So far it's covered about 17,000km since I finished it's restoration, and over 250,000km since new.

Dodgyiti
28th November 2009, 17:38
and over 250,000km since new.

:o

The pinstripers were German and probably accurate to within .05' with their co workers 'freehand' striping

It's an R90S owners love-in
:hug:

Voltaire
29th November 2009, 06:57
:o

The pinstripers were German and probably accurate to within .05' with their co workers 'freehand' striping

It's an R90S owners love-in
:hug:

I went to the factory in 1990 and the paint shop was " out of bounds" for the tour.....wonder if it was like the Tui's brewery..... Fauleins...vunderbar frauleins.....

From what I saw many of the workers were Turkish.....does that tarnish the R90's mystique...?:Pokey:

Motu
29th November 2009, 09:56
I think that was why the old low cam engine was dropped and the new high cam bike came out in '69 - the old stuff was built by craftsmen which is not very efficient,the new bikes were designed to be assembled by migrant Turks.Kind of like Samoan's being imported just the work in NZ car assembly plants.Now we have no car plants and a lot of Samoan's build stone walls.