PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable!

KrazyGixxerBoy
27th November 2009, 22:16
You guys (and gals) won't believe this story....

Yesterday, I put my bike in the shop to get the chain and sprockets replaced. I got a really good price and he was willing to work around my other commitments, so I dropped the gixxer in and thought nothing of it.

A little bit later I get a phone call....umm, Andrew, You won't believe this,but I removed your front sprocket housing and there was no nut holding the front sprocket on! WTF I said?? are you farking with me? ...ummm...no. It would appear that it had been without a nut for some time as it has worn the spline out considerably....blah..blah...blah....

I couldn't farkin believe it (and neither could he!) I have never come across this before and despite all his years in the trade, neither had he!

Long story short, it cost me a bit more in the end but it's all sorted now and running like a dream!

Clearly one of the owners before me had either forgotten to put the nut back on or had used a REALLY dodgy mechanic!

Anyone else ever come across this?...it's certainly a new one on me!

hayd3n
27th November 2009, 22:33
yes my bike when getting a rebuild was missing that aswell
ihad done 25000 ks since i had owned it

The Pastor
27th November 2009, 22:43
the chain tension should be enough to keep the chain on.... most of the time ;)

It'd get dicey when you do stoppies or hit large bumps

KrazyGixxerBoy
27th November 2009, 22:46
the chain tension should be enough to keep the chain on.... most of the time ;)

It'd get dicey when you do stoppies or hit large bumps

ummm yeahhh...about that! The reason i replaced them was it was at the end of its adjustment and was damn near dragging on the ground! ...Lovin it now, it feels like a new bike!

BMWST?
27th November 2009, 22:57
ummm yeahhh...about that! The reason i replaced them was it was at the end of its adjustment and was damn near dragging on the ground! ...Lovin it now, it feels like a new bike!

in my experience most countershaft sprockets have fairly robust methods to ensure that nut doesnt come off....

Wiki Drifter
27th November 2009, 23:38
Lucky it held in place.... One time whilst charging down hill, my sprocket bolt snapped. The sprocket flew off immediately with the chain still attached. It was an interesting experience...<_<

skidMark
27th November 2009, 23:44
katanas one was missing when i got it... oh no hang on it's shaft drive....

shaft drive bike... 1

chain drive poo bikes... 0

CookMySock
28th November 2009, 05:59
I've seen a chain with no clip on it. Side plate was there.. just clip missing. :o

Steve

bruced
28th November 2009, 06:17
Some Duke ST4's had a dodgy front sproket holder from new. Aparently is was a black one. so, if you have an ST4 with a black front sprocket and it is still original, it'll need to be replaced with the newer one.

bruced
28th November 2009, 06:19
I'm not an L plate rider either. I'll have to edit my profile.

Elysium
28th November 2009, 06:29
I'm not an L plate rider either. I'll have to edit my profile.

Oh no young padwan, you are a L plate rider here.

Kickaha
28th November 2009, 06:47

We finished one of our Sidecar races at Manfield one year (K4 GSXR1000) and doing a post race checkover noticed the front sprocket nut was missing

I've seen a chain with no clip on it. Side plate was there.. just clip missing. :o

I rode my Ducati from Kaitaia to Cape Reinga with the clip missing, and from Cape Reinga to Chch with a bit of lockwire in it's place

Lucky the sideplate was such a tight press on fit

mashman
28th November 2009, 06:47
Had it once, heard of it once, but both on cars... Guy was fixing my gear linkage in the garage and was wathing him through the window as he gently tried to jemmy the engine to get at the linkage. suddenly bits started slying off. The mech looked at the floor and carried on. I figured it must have been some crap. Nope corosion etc... argued and they paid, bastards.

Friend of mine wondered why his brakes where getting spongy, his car had been seviced the day before. He took it back to the service station and they found that had not tightened up the front right brake nipple properly... in fact the spanner was still on the nipple itself... Coulda been really rather dangerous...

Some people just don't wanna own up to anything, irrespective of the cost... and i don't mean $$$...

Good job ya found it now eh KGB!

ZK-Awesome
28th November 2009, 07:18
Never had the front sprocket thing, but once when leaving a certain bike shop I found that they had not reconnected the rear brake :blink:

crazyhorse
28th November 2009, 07:20
So what you are saying - you really do not need this nut???? bike worked fine without it :rofl:

Kickaha
28th November 2009, 07:23
So what you are saying - you really do not need this nut???? bike worked fine without it :rofl:

Less rotating mass, faster acceleration:shifty:

CookMySock
28th November 2009, 07:25
The nut on the bars is the really important one. Make sure that one never comes off! :niceone:

Steve

Conquiztador
28th November 2009, 07:34
Thats what you get from using backyard mechanics. I would never trust them! Thats the reason I fix all my bikes my self. In my backyard...:done:

peasea
28th November 2009, 07:41
You guys (and gals) won't believe this story....

Yesterday, I put my bike in the shop to get the chain and sprockets replaced. I got a really good price and he was willing to work around my other commitments, so I dropped the gixxer in and thought nothing of it.

A little bit later I get a phone call....umm, Andrew, You won't believe this,but I removed your front sprocket housing and there was no nut holding the front sprocket on! WTF I said?? are you farking with me? ...ummm...no. It would appear that it had been without a nut for some time as it has worn the spline out considerably....blah..blah...blah....

I couldn't farkin believe it (and neither could he!) I have never come across this before and despite all his years in the trade, neither had he!

Long story short, it cost me a bit more in the end but it's all sorted now and running like a dream!

Clearly one of the owners before me had either forgotten to put the nut back on or had used a REALLY dodgy mechanic!

I've never seen one come right off but I've seen them come loose and it makes a horrible racket. Didn't you hear anything? (As an aside, I rode my own bike without a helmet the other day and I could hear all sorts of things that are muffled by a full-face.)

Also, I can recall one loose sprocket that rooted the gearbox mainshaft in no time at all, so it wasn't a five minute-two dollar fix.

2wheeled Gasman
28th November 2009, 08:29
I had a Gpz750 that had the front sprocket fall off.I had the bike 2 days,had asked the shop to replace both sprockets and chain and they asked me to bring it in in a few days.Well they got it earlier than expected.Dare i say that a front sprocket falling off at speed before a corner then wrapping it self around the frame taking out the seal around the gear selector was a bit hair raising. Thankfully the slide was controlled and came to a rest without incident.I couldnt budge the bike until the rear wheel slid on the little oil slick that had formed from the broken seal.Repairs to the engine casing and new sprockets and chain all done earlier than expected when i ranted off to the bike retailer who then had to pick up the bike.
Moral of this story.....front sprockets do fall off....make sure all nuts are replaced!<_<

NZsarge
28th November 2009, 08:37
I had a Gpz750 that had the front sprocket fall off.I had the bike 2 days,had asked the shop to replace both sprockets and chain and they asked me to bring it in in a few days.Well they got it earlier than expected.Dare i say that a front sprocket falling off at speed before a corner then wrapping it self around the frame taking out the seal around the gear selector was a bit hair raising. Thankfully the slide was controlled and came to a rest without incident.I couldnt budge the bike until the rear wheel slid on the little oil slick that had formed from the broken seal.Repairs to the engine casing and new sprockets and chain all done earlier than expected when i ranted off to the bike retailer who then had to pick up the bike.
Moral of this story.....front sprockets do fall off....make sure all nuts are replaced!<_<

Indeed they do fall off!
Had the same issue on a mates ZZR1200 while I was doing XXX kph but luckily no lock up, the chain had issues though and took it out on the crank case!

Pixie
28th November 2009, 08:40
Some bikes don't have a nut on the output shaft - XF / DR 650's for instance,have a plate screwed to the sprocket.The sprocket is loose on the shaft,but can't come off.

nico
28th November 2009, 08:44
that s one way to keep weight down but seriously f&^k that for a joke

rocketman1
30th November 2009, 19:47
I always check a mechanics work on the bike or car to see that they have put things back properly. Any decent bike shop should have quality checks, but bike mechanics are human and make mistakes; it could be your life they take.
Bought the old Mk2 Zephyr home from the tyre shop, this was years ago, noticed a clanking noise the bastards hadn't done wheel nuts up. Did I give them a rev up or what.
The AA reckon that most call outs are for vehicles that have recently been in for service. Mechanics not doing their job properly.

If you can find a great mechanic stick to them..but do a second check anyway.

Working on my own bike does not absolve oneself from errors, I remember doing a valve grind on the old Morris Minor, put all back together, and forgetting to put water in the radiator....it was the smell that gave the error away, I managed to stop before I stuffed it, close one though.
You dont make the same mistake twice, isn't experience a great thing.

Yow Ling
30th November 2009, 19:53
just give it a wee zap with the mig, should stop it falling off

one fast tl1ooo
30th November 2009, 19:59
Yeeee haaa.. so i can get rid of that nut.... less weight.. = more speed...:woohoo:

325rocket
30th November 2009, 20:07

Steve

my old hyo was like that for a while. no idea how long. never changed the chain just looked down one day and it wasnt there!

Headbanger
30th November 2009, 22:04
Bought the old Mk2 Zephyr home from the tyre shop, this was years ago, noticed a clanking noise the bastards hadn't done wheel nuts up.

Had that happen on my XE Falcon, Had it serviced, That night we went out for tea, I'm thinking Faaaark, something seriously wrong with the steering, I pull up on the shoulder just as the studs shear off the left front hub and the wheel folds under the car, an inspection of the right front wheel showed most of those studs had sheared off as well.

I went crook, as you do, They asked if I had the paperwork on me, I did, They pointed out the paragraph where it stated it was up to me to check and tighten the wheelnuts as required after 25km of travel, and my signature right below it ackowleging this fact......:eek5:

SMOKEU
30th November 2009, 22:49
Never had the front sprocket thing, but once when leaving a certain bike shop I found that they had not reconnected the rear brake :blink:

The mechanic was probably baked fresh out the oven.

PuppetMaster
1st December 2009, 08:48
I hate those greasy buns!