PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Old brit stuff

XP@
28th November 2009, 23:03
Hey, I know this should probably be falling in to the online trading forum but really this needs to be with those who understand...

I'm looking for some bits for my James, I'm not in any real hurry because these things take time. It's a 1936 but I am a beggar on a tight budget so I can't be a chooser. If you have anything on the list rusting away in a box in your shed that you could possibly part with I'd be real real happy :)

Seat - with springs in any reparable condition.
Rear mudguard
primary and drive chain
Rear brake pedal
decompression lever
front & rear lights (6v)
Albion clutch arm (or a 3 speed albion gearbox with the mounting bolts on the top)
Assortment of whitworth nuts and bolts.
Magic dust to make the engine work.

Cheers

James

Ixion
28th November 2009, 23:14
Don't have any of them, but may be able to give a few hints.

Drive chains will be standard , the same as today. Just need the right size, from any bike shop

Seats were propiertary items, ie there wasn't a specific "James" seat. So most any seat from a smallish Brit bike pre 1948 ish should be OK. A modern Renfield might well fit.

Throttle assemblies were universal. Plenty on Trademe.

British Spares will be able to supply the decompression lever

(I'm assuming it's a two stroke Villiers here . If you have lucked on one of the rare James 500cc fourstrokes you are indeed a lucky man)

Villiers engine is very simple. If you have compression and some vague sort of carburettor , and it won't start most likely reason is either lack of crankcase compression or dud magneto coils . The coils age they can give a spark under no load but fail one under compression.

Usually if it fires , fuffs, backfires etc but won't start (try pushing it down a hill, better than the crappy kickstart) , it's probably magneto. Also try start y bastrad , works well on two smokers, direct down the plug hole.

If it does nothing , probably crankcase compression. Those engines didn't have crankcase seals. They relied on a long crankshaft main bearing businging . In bronze. When it wore, you lost bottom compression, no start. Solution is obvious, except you may not be able to buy the bushes. Any good engineering firm can make them.

Be VERY VERY ENORMOUSLY careful pressing the old ones out and the new ones in. Those crankcases were often quite brittle and can easily snap in two under the press . DAMHIK.

Lights are propiertory .Lucas or Miller. People sometimes bought the bike without lights and fitted them later. You could buy lighting sets off the shelf. You can get a daylight WoF if you haven't got lights.

Clutch arm, best bet is to fabricate, fairly easy job.

(My james was a 32 but I think they were much the same)

Motu
29th November 2009, 09:58
You just missed the Claudelands classic swapmeet - but there is another one in spring.

XP@
29th November 2009, 17:35
You just missed the Claudelands classic swapmeet - but there is another one in spring.
Aye, the next swapmeet in the area (can't justify Aukland) is not until March here in Levin.

Yup, it is one of the 149cc villiars. The engine dates to 1931 so it is slightly less horses than the original, but getting it moving would be a good start :)

I am thinking I will be getting the coils re-wound before I think about trying, the wires coming out are fubar.

When the day comes to starting it I won't have much of a hill, living in Levin they are not too common.

I have added this to my christmas list from my folks in the UK
https://feked.com/shop/index.php?productID=1141

See what you mean with the throttles, something like this should do the trick aye? Probably a lot easier than trying to get a well worn one to work.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Other/auction-256625881.htm

I'm also going to have to get some cables made up, is it best to get the bits and put them together ones self? never done it before, but it can't be that hard...can it?

Motu
29th November 2009, 20:23
(can't justify Aukland)

Claudelands is in Hamilton.I got a James seat there last year for $5.

[edit] No I didn't,I don't have a James seat,you know nothing about it.

XP@
29th November 2009, 21:10
Claudelands is in Hamilton.I got a James seat there last year for $5.
[edit] No I didn't,I don't have a James seat,you know nothing about it.
Close Enough! I would probably have trouble getting passed bulls at the moment without getting grumbled at! Sort of blown the bike budget with a few "repairs" (cartridge emulators), a t-shirt with KB & ACC on it, a Rusty Nuts ride and apparently I "go for a ride" every day since when is commuting on SH1 a "ride"?

But I guess not spending $5 for a seat you don't have would be a great saving... So if you don't have a James seat, then you won't be needing the one in your shed will you...?? :whistle:

I did find a throttle assembly (in the box of bits) needs a grip though biut otherwise in good nick.

I have realised I'm in need of the rear brake lever so added it to my wish list :)

jellywrestler
29th November 2009, 21:26
why dont you post some piccies of the bike as it is and as it should be so we can see for ourselves what you need?

Howie
29th November 2009, 21:59
You should be able to get most sizes of Whitworth bolts from any of the engineering fastening supply companys. We still get them in certain sizes for the company I work for.

Bounce001
30th November 2009, 07:41
British Spares are having a second hand sell-out this weekend (link below): http://www.britishspares.com/?page=Home&more_info=content3

They might have some of what you are after.

Ixion
30th November 2009, 07:58
You should be able to get most sizes of Whitworth bolts from any of the engineering fastening supply companys. We still get them in certain sizes for the company I work for.

James will probably be (partly at least) CEI which is a bit trickier. Still available though

XP@
30th November 2009, 12:12
James will probably be (partly at least) CEI which is a bit trickier. Still available though

Ooo hecky thump [using my natural yorkshire/lancashier accent]!

Nuts Bolts and stuff i am not too concerned about, If i have to convert to metric or imperial what ever is the best fit then so be it. - the aim is a safe and rideable bike, not one that is 100% perfect.
I guess I'm only really worried if the thread is past of something like the petrol hose on to the carb.

XP@
30th November 2009, 12:27
British Spares are having a second hand sell-out this weekend (link below): http://www.britishspares.com/?page=Home&more_info=content3

They might have some of what you are after.

Awww... Just called them and they don't do pre-war spares :(
I could probably pick up a mudguard
They can do seats ($130) and lights (early post war replica lucas)
but nothing for the engine / gearbox.

I may still drop down later in the week to have a nosey :)

XP@
30th November 2009, 12:30
why dont you post some piccies of the bike as it is and as it should be so we can see for ourselves what you need?

Check out my blog (slightly out of date)

or here
http://picasaweb.google.com/ExPatty/BabesBikes#
http://picasaweb.google.com/ExPatty/TheJames03#

Del Fuego
1st December 2009, 14:37
Swapmeet? Auckland? When and where please :) sorry to jack fred

Ixion
1st December 2009, 17:58
Ooo hecky thump [using my natural yorkshire/lancashier accent]!

Nuts Bolts and stuff i am not too concerned about, If i have to convert to metric or imperial what ever is the best fit then so be it. - the aim is a safe and rideable bike, not one that is 100% perfect.
I guess I'm only really worried if the thread is past of something like the petrol hose on to the carb.

BSP that one. Still a common standard. Gets trickier if the thread is aprt of say the crankshaft or a gear shaft. (CEI is imperial - don't GET more Imperial than CEI - just not Imperial as most folk know it)

XP@
2nd December 2009, 08:06
Swapmeet? Auckland? When and where please :) sorry to jack fred

There is a good list of them here:
http://www.barnstormers.co.nz/?page_id=293

ntst8
2nd December 2009, 20:09
Ken McIntosh does CEI for Norton use, may be worth a try if it comes up. Its surprising what is a common fit at times - for instance a primary case drain plug on my 16H is same as crankcase drain plug on a Manx.

Del Fuego
9th December 2009, 15:31
There is a good list of them here:
http://www.barnstormers.co.nz/?page_id=293

Legend! many thanks

cc rider
17th December 2009, 00:41
XP@, I'm happy to have a hunt around over here (Aus) for any bits to suit. I always come across parts for every other 1936 bike, except for my trump :argh:

I may have a spare seat....size etc?