PDA

View Full Version : Taxpayer funded flowers

Karl08
30th November 2009, 07:57
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/3108609/Politicians-flower-bills-bloom

That's a crap load of flowers for a male dominated environment.

crazyhorse
30th November 2009, 08:05
maybe they're pansies????? :lol:

p.dath
30th November 2009, 08:06
You probably find some assistant sends them out automatically on some occassions, and the list of people has gout out of control.

Easy to fix.

crazyhorse
30th November 2009, 08:12
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive .....:innocent:

Karl08
30th November 2009, 08:21
So to make a stand against the Nats- I will refuse all the flowers they may want to send me.

Although last time I met with a Minister in the Govt, they had nice muffins!
Couldn't recall what flowers they had- they all look the same to me

avgas
30th November 2009, 08:23
Oh isn't that nice - flowers.

I bet the mistress would have preferred a car though

Karl08
30th November 2009, 08:27
or a nice trip to Disneyland.. oh that's right, Rodney took his girly to Disneyland on the way back from the UK. He should of brought her a bunch of flowers from the Dairy and a micky mouse video instead.

MisterD
30th November 2009, 08:28
I think it's actually referring to the type of flower arrangements you get in most corporate receptions...in which case <$20 per day doesn't seem a hell of a lot to be honest.

rainman
30th November 2009, 08:40
I think it's actually referring to the type of flower arrangements you get in most corporate receptions...in which case <$20 per day doesn't seem a hell of a lot to be honest.

Yeah I also think it's much ado about nothing. There are much bigger things this government are doing that we ought to be worrying about. Besides, the real flower king is Sarko (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2009/jul/22/sarkozy-elysee-flowers). 660 quid a day!

Just think though - if we got all worked up about this and removed all flowers from government offices, how many unemployed florists would end up on the benefit? It's a better jobs scheme than the cycleway! :whistle:

Karl08
30th November 2009, 08:42
$20 a day is a hell of a lot for a large number of NZ families I connect with.

We are not talking about the corporate world thought are we (although I am aware of the arguments that say that Parliament needs to operate in the same way); we are talking about elected representatives, who maybe need to show they are committed to "tightening their belts".

While flowers are not that big of a deal, they are items that most kiwis can identify with; and the simple gesture making some cuts in this sort of area would communicate more to kiwis, than all the hoopla that surrounded the trial and purchase of new vehicles.

Or maybe they are just flowers in an office?

MisterD
30th November 2009, 09:00
$20 a day is a hell of a lot for a large number of NZ families I connect with.

We are not talking about the corporate world thought are we (although I am aware of the arguments that say that Parliament needs to operate in the same way); we are talking about elected representatives, who maybe need to show they are committed to "tightening their belts".

While flowers are not that big of a deal, they are items that most kiwis can identify with; and the simple gesture making some cuts in this sort of area would communicate more to kiwis, than all the hoopla that surrounded the trial and purchase of new vehicles.

Or maybe they are just flowers in an office?

Tell you what, why don't you make an appointment and check there aren't any lights that could be turned off to save some money?

I take it from your location and general tone that you voted for that muppet Mallard? Perhaps you would like to ask him why he's using taxpayer money to shuttle up to Taupo for a shag every weekend?

red mermaid
30th November 2009, 09:37
English was probably buying them for his wife cause she was worried she may have to shift out of her ministerial paid house and go back to Dipton in Southland.

I would need something to brighten my day at the thought of that as well. :innocent:

slofox
30th November 2009, 09:54
"National has made some savings by dropping fruit baskets in ministerial offices."

So who picks up all the spilled fruit after the basket is dropped?

MisterD
30th November 2009, 10:03
"National has made some savings by dropping fruit baskets in ministerial offices."

So who picks up all the spilled fruit after the basket is dropped?

I know National has made some improvements by removing the fruit-loops and nutcases from ministerial offices...

crazyhorse
30th November 2009, 10:08
:rofl: :rofl:

Tank
30th November 2009, 10:51
This is exactly why Labour cannot even make an effective opposition.

They are complaining about little stuff like this - remembering that they spent 46k on flowers themselves.

Perhaps when they can come up with a decent campaign and can argue some real issues for NZ'ers then perhaps they will move up the polls.

But - no mallard and his band of half wits (Carter and Hipkins) keep banging on about stuff like this.

Useless. The way they are going Goff is going to end up polling lower than the pathetic 5% he is at the moment. (Note Key still on 54%).

slofox
30th November 2009, 12:03
(Note Key still on 54%).

Not with bikers, I bet...:rofl:

Tank
30th November 2009, 12:08
Not with bikers, I bet...:rofl:

Even I would hope that Bikers are smart enough not to be single issue voters.

Skyryder
30th November 2009, 12:31
I should try English's excuse on the next speeding ticket.

A spokesman for Mr English said he was unaware how much was being spent on flowers and the number and frequency of flower displays would be reduced.

Not that I think for one minute it would impress the cop any more than English thinks his excuse impresses us.

Skyryder

MisterD
30th November 2009, 13:08

A spokesman for Mr English said he was unaware how much was being spent on flowers and the number and frequency of flower displays would be reduced.

Not that I think for one minute it would impress the cop any more than English thinks his excuse impresses us.

I suppose you expect him to know how much the coffee machine and water cooler cost and what the office cleaners charge as well? He's the minister, not the facilities manager (or whatever)...

Tank
30th November 2009, 13:09

Im glad that he has no idea how much is spent on flowers.

Hes managing the big things. Little things should be left to the little people.

HenryDorsetCase
30th November 2009, 13:36
Yeah I also think it's much ado about nothing. There are much bigger things this government are doing that we ought to be worrying about. Besides, the real flower king is Sarko (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2009/jul/22/sarkozy-elysee-flowers). 660 quid a day!

Just think though - if we got all worked up about this and removed all flowers from government offices, how many unemployed florists would end up on the benefit? It's a better jobs scheme than the cycleway! :whistle:

I'd send Carla Bruni a grands worth of flowers every day because i LUFF her. :love:

:love::love::love:

what are we talking about again? I want to talk about Italian women: Carla, Monica Bellucci, Sophia Gina, ay yi yi.

I have to go have a lie-down now.

Karl08
30th November 2009, 14:37
Tell you what, why don't you make an appointment and check there aren't any lights that could be turned off to save some money?

I take it from your location and general tone that you voted for that muppet Mallard? Perhaps you would like to ask him why he's using taxpayer money to shuttle up to Taupo for a shag every weekend?

Great idea regarding the lightbulbs! I will also ask them to ensure all taps don't leak, and their recycling checks out. Or instead I could dignify your wee rant with a response.

Assumption is a wonderful thing isn't it, yet like most people who assume- you assume wrong. Who I voted for is hardly the issue is it?

I mean, I would hate to assume that you enjoy voting to the right, and base all my perceptions on that.

Tell you what, you send me flowers, and I will send you fruit.

avgas
30th November 2009, 14:48
Perhaps you would like to ask him why he's using taxpayer money to shuttle up to Taupo for a shag every weekend?
Fuck I would - free shags are great:yes:

HenryDorsetCase
30th November 2009, 14:51
Fuck I would - free shags are great:yes:

Anything but free in Mallard's case: he married her.

MisterD
30th November 2009, 14:56
Great idea regarding the lightbulbs! I will also ask them to ensure all taps don't leak, and their recycling checks out. Or instead I could dignify your wee rant with a response.

Assumption is a wonderful thing isn't it, yet like most people who assume- you assume wrong. Who I voted for is hardly the issue is it?

Ooooh, *insert handbag smiley here*

Was it wrong of me to point out that while you're having your own little rant about the bill for a few bunches of flowers in ministerial offices being the responsibility of the minister, your elected representative has cooked up some "responsibility" for Taupo to allow him to charge taxpayers for travel to see his girlfriend?

I mean, I would hate to assume that you enjoy voting to the right, and base all my perceptions on that.

Enjoying voting? There's a concept...but no, I don't vote to the right, I might do if there was a right wing party to vote for though...

EJK
30th November 2009, 14:59
$56,000 worth of soon-to-be-decayed-useless-ugly-will-be-rotten-with-in-5-days-decoration crap? That's a very productive idea...

Atleast apples and oranges provide good nuturition and vitamins...

Karl08
30th November 2009, 15:04
[QUOTE=MisterD;1129543455]Ooooh, *insert handbag smiley here*

Was it wrong of me to point out that while you're having your own little rant about the bill for a few bunches of flowers in ministerial offices being the responsibility of the minister, your elected representative has cooked up some "responsibility" for Taupo to allow him to charge taxpayers for travel to see his girlfriend?

Not at all, agree about the trip to Taupo- it is just easier for me to imagine flowers, than Mallards heaving body in the throes of passion *insert vomiting smiley here*