PDA

View Full Version : MR Race report of VMCC R1 '05

Motoracer
27th April 2005, 10:30
I don't know why but there always seems to be something that goes wrong with my bike prior to a race meet. Maybe it's just because I am a slack arse and leave everything till the last moment. Well from next time things are going to be different because I will start to prepare my bike from now for next month.

Long story short, my sump plug was wrecked yet again. I think I have an over tightening problem with my bolts. I immidietly realised that I was in danger of running late yet again so I rang up some shops and luckily Squid and his mate at the workshop came to my rescue and did the helicoiling for me. Some other things went wrong but in the end we had it sorted. So me Twosmoker and his g/f headed off to Manfield at about 7PM and reached Hook's place in Palmy at about 1:30AM.

Next morning it was a beautiful day and Hooks kindly made us some coffee and after a shower and a breakfast, we were all set for racing!

Time came for the qualifying for F2/SS (Supersports). I was pretty excited since this was my first time around the full circuit around Manfield and I didn't know how I'd do against some pretty tough competition that surrounded me. I went around turn one then through the eses and around the hairpin and my clutch stoped working! Crap! I tried re-adjusting the cable but that was no good. So I pushed the bike and wacked it into 1st and rode around the track just to get an idea of what it looked like and to run the brand new tires in. I don't use clutch while shifting up anyway but shifting down was a slow process since I wanted to be as gentle on the gearbox as possible. After about 10mins of practice/qualifying, I came in and I knew this was no way to start a chapionship in which I wanted to do well. I knew I would have qulifyed last because of the lack of clutch. Sure enough I qualifyed 23rd out of 32 people with a high 2:18.

Now was not the time to weep about the problem but it was time to fix the problem at hand as soon as possible to get ready for qualifying for F1/SB (Superbikes). Me and a pit crew from an opposing team who's name was Thomas who was from Austria, worked on the bike like crazy! We took the clutch cable assembly off and couldn't really find an obvious problem. It was taking too much time to pull the bike appart and put it back together so I decided to do the Qualifying for SB without the clutch again and then try to fix it before race 1. Now I knew that I had no clutch but I had to do what I could to qualify towards the front of the grid as best as I could. I went as fast as I could and then tried to use the gears as less as possible for another 10mins of SB qualifying. I came back into the pits and found out that this time, my efforts were a bit better. I qualifyed 13th out of 21 people on the track with a high 2.09.

Back at the pits, me and Thomas opened up the bike again and scratched our scalps to try and figure out the problem. The clutch lever was not even going in when pulled and people around us were saying things like, the gear box must have shat itself or the clutch housing is stuffed, and all this really wasn't helping. I went around to try and seek for some good advise but I couldn't really find an expert mechanic. Then someone said, the return spring was missing. Then I went around again to try and find a spring to modify into a return spring. Then Thomas got a exhaust spring from a 2 stroke and bent it into shape which was a perfect fit. Great! This was surely the end of my worries. But sadly it wasn't. The clutch still wasn't working. Now I was really worried. I could see the hopes of me doing well in this championship dissapearing rather quickly. Then Nick Odermatt, sujested to play with a little adjuster on the side which was hidden under a rubber seal. Surely this had to be it. There was nothing else that could have gone wrong other than something major. I adjusted the screws and Wallla! She worked!!!! A big *sigh* of relife later and only a couple of mins to spare for race one, I was all sorted again! Man, if I have many more of these moments in the future, I'm gunna go bald rather soon!

So it was time for race one. We all lined up after the warmup lap and I was really far back in the field. Mental note, never ever have problems for qualifying in the future, cause it'll be a major disadvantage for the whole round. Anyway, we got the race start with the green flag and as always I had a great start. I overtook about 5-6 bikes down the straight and went into turn one. I followed the quick guys around the track for about half a lap then as soon as we got to the new section that I had never done before, I was over cautious and lost a bit of ground. This was the first time I was able to ride properly around the track so I was still getting used to what lines to take around the tricky full circuit. I came away with a high 2:06 in the end and finished 12th out of 25 riders. Just as a comparison Craig Shirriffs was going around the track nearly 10 secs faster than me a lap!

Then I had the SB race and then I talked about the times with people, including Twosmoker because I was interested to know what he was doing on the 400 since it was his first time around the track as well. He said he got a 2.07! I was like WTF?? That's the same as me or only a mear 1 second away from my time!

I thought, right, that's it. I have to push harder. Then for the next SB race I really concentrated on the lines and tried to carry more corner speed. However a major let down for myslef is the lack of my upper body strenght. Half way through the race I was already getting knackared from riding through the twisty turns at race pace. I then concentrated on being smooth as much as possible. I felt like I was going slower cause I was more tired and just was concentrating on saving energy. On that race I found out that I got a high 2:04 which was a bit better. I finished 8th out of 15 riders on the track in Superbikes that time round.

The other races that day were more of the same. I didn't have any battles with anyone because the faster guys were far up ahead and I never saw guys behind me trying to make a passing manuver.

Overall I finished 15th out of 28 people in F2/SS and 8th out of 18 people in F1/SB. SB results http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=142109 and SS results http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=142114

A huge thanks to Squid and his mate for fixing the bike for me, Hooks for letting us stay the night and for the breakfast, Thomas from Gordan Pullen's Team for helping me fix the bike. Twosmoker for comming down and helping with the fuel costs etc.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do shit loads better for the next round, cant wait!

P.S. Sorry about the half arsed race report, I have been really busy and I had to do a rush job.

justsomeguy
27th April 2005, 11:04
Congratulations Sudeep, Awesome job........:niceone:

Remember to give me a yell if you need some free labour while servicing your bike.:yes:

And for a fella who complains about his lack of upper body strength you sure break a lot of bolts.:laugh:

Firefight
27th April 2005, 11:12
Yeah nice one Sudeep, I agree with JSG maybe you sneak off to the gym :apumpin: :apumpin: a bit more than you make out, becoming a bit of a tough guy, always good to read your write ups, keep at it mate :ride: .

F/F :niceone:

Joni
27th April 2005, 14:25
Good on you Sudeep.
Glad you out there following your dreams.
Good luck for the next one :niceone:

Mitch
27th April 2005, 14:30
Well done Sudeep!!!! Was great to watch you out there riding SOOOO well. You did have some pretty serious competition and you held your own in FINE form. You have come a hell of a long way from when I saw your head land in front of your front wheel at Taupo :msn-wink:
Look forward to catching you up at the next round hehe and I WILL be racing that day :niceone:

Quasievil
27th April 2005, 14:49
I'm gunna go bald rather soon!

you should be so lucky

good write up Sudeep, like your write ups mate always find them inspiring !!

Motoracer
27th April 2005, 15:47
Cheers everyone! :)

I am already planing things out for the next race to make it better by getting things organised properly. Also I have to stop being so timid and go out there and be more agressive and ride harder!!

nicko
27th April 2005, 17:35
Shot bro, you're doing real well for the bike you're on. Awesome you got it going and are in the points hunt!

Two Smoker
27th April 2005, 17:45
Awesome write up mate :niceone: you will be sorted for that next race!!!

Look forward to catching you up at the next round hehe and I WILL be racing that day :niceone:
Ah shit, there goes my winning glory :(

Hooks
28th April 2005, 17:17
Yeah well mate .... I reckon getting here at a decent hour might help too ... Then you can get a good nights sleep !! ..... Catch ya next time

Mitch
29th April 2005, 15:02
Awesome write up mate :niceone: you will be sorted for that next race!!!

Ah shit, there goes my winning glory :(

Two Smoke i'm trying to put a name to your name and a face onto it and am failing :no: What was your number on the weekend?? Looking forward to racing you UMMM if I haven't already hehe

gpercivl
30th April 2005, 23:50
No Hair Racing Race Report

Vic Club #1 & AMCC #3

Two Action Packed Days for Bob, Logan & Greg.

Bob & I competed in the first round of the Vic Club series and third round of the AMCC series last weekend while Logan spent Saturday on the 450 at Pukekohe putting more miles on the clock ready for racing on Sunday. Unfortunately he found that the carburetion is not set up for the 450 motor at higher revs and has broken an exhaust valve.

Bob had a good day at Manfeild on his 450. Vic Club were running the full 4.5km circuit and Bob's 450 is pulling a lot stronger in the mid range dropping his lap times from 143 secs on the old 400 to 134 secs for the 450. I haven't ridden a 600 on the long circuit but my best on the 400 was 141 secs but the new R6 made that look very slow with my times coming down to 129 secs.

Bob's next day at Pukekohe wasn't as much fun as he also found his carburetion was limiting his top speed and also had engine trouble. Bob has taken the head off and found that both exhaust valves have snapped off at the base and damaged the #4 piston & cylinder. It looks like the bigger valves on the 600 head have been touching the edges of the piston valve cut-outs on all four pistons the same problem as my 450 so we have some work to do.

The rest of this report is all about the fun I had on the new R6 :-) (Need to chase up Logan & Bob for their reports)

If you hadn't read my last news report, Henderson Motorcycles have set us up with a 2005 Yamaha R6 and combined with the latest Pirelli Super Corsa Pro tyres, that bike is one super-hot piece of machinery!!!

Over the last couple of years on my old Thundercat 600 I've been watching everyone from the back of the field, but now I'm back to chasing the middle of the pack. Manfeild was the 1st time I'd had it on the track and I quickly realised it had a lot more power and better spread than the old engine. The R6 is much more tolerant of coming out of a corner in the wrong gear and without a steering dampener you get lots of head shake (controllable though) when powering down the straights.

The handling is a little different with higher centre of gravity, but adhesion of the big 180 tyre plus Pirelli tyres means I should be able to add a lot of corner speed once I get used to it. I ended up the day at Manfeild being very pleased with a lap time only 2 to 4 secs off the guys I'd like to beat later this year.

At Pukekohe the power of the new bike really was evident as even with a strong head wind down the back straight I hit the rev limiter in 6th gear running the same gearing we had used on Chris' 1999 R6. Close to 280kph according to the Yamaha speed/gearing charts.

Race 1 had extra excitement as I had a relatively good start and knew that Richard Driver was right behind and would be out to get me. As I came over the top of the hill onto the front straight almost at red-line in 4th gear there was a bike down in front of me and another rider just to the right so my only option was to go left onto the grass. All I could think was that here goes my nice new bike on it's second day out. Remembering that road bike's fall over on wet grass I kept it as upright as possible and didn't dare touch the brakes managing to gently steer it back onto the track still doing around 190 before hitting the large puddle at the bottom of the hill.

Needless to say I was happy to have survived and the race was stopped. I didn't get quite as good a start when we went out again but I was still on an adrenalin high for the rest of the day.

In the second race I had a bit of fun with one of the naked 1000's. He out powered me coming onto the back straight two laps in a row but I managed to go around the outside at the kink as he ran out of top end.

So hopefully I'll have the gearing all sorted out ready for the 300km race next weekend for Bob and me :-)

We calculate we can do the 300km race on 3 tanks of gas so I'll do the first 45 mins then Bob will take over. Chris and Stell have accepted the jobs of pit crew so it should be a heap of fun. Sky Sport will be televising the qualifying sessions on Saturday night (7th) then the full race on Sunday from 1:45pm on.

And now some words for our sponsors - Henderson Motorcycles have been amazing with their support, so I strongly recommend giving them a call for any Yamaha bikes, parts or accessories and you won't be disappointed. Pirelli Tyres are the best we've used yet and we'd also like to thank Protecta Insurance for sponsoring the Auckland Club series and the 300km Endurance race.

Also many thanks to SSSLodge who allow me out on the weekend, EZSite.co.nz for our website and BK Engineering for their support.

Hope to see you all out at Pukekohe on the 8th.

Bye for now, Greg

No Hair Racing

Kwaka-Kid
1st May 2005, 00:13
Top Effort Sudeep! Well done dude.

And another top effort there greg! cheers, and my bad on the exhaust valve, ill try not to mate another one of them with a piston in future :S

Two Smoker
2nd May 2005, 08:16
Two Smoke i'm trying to put a name to your name and a face onto it and am failing :no: What was your number on the weekend?? Looking forward to racing you UMMM if I haven't already hehe

Black ZXR400 number 38... started dead last on the second race...

This bike here...