PDA

View Full Version : 1 Tonne cordura gear wet weather review

sil3nt
30th November 2009, 12:43
Been using my 1 Tonne gear for about 6 months now so it must be time for a review. Not much point in a dry weather review and since i've just come home from 2 hours riding in the rain i have a good base to review the wet weather side of it.

First up is the Red Codura Touring Jacket (http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?page=listingDetails&categoryid=2&collectionid=&prodid=22&pageNum=1&x=17&y=23) and i love it! It is however very bulky and makes me look a million times bigger than i actually am. Nothing wrong with that though. So after 2 hours in the rain today the jacket is absolutely soaked. All i had on underneath was a t-shirt and the thermal liner zipped into the jacket. Everything inside the jacket is bone dry. Couldn't ask for much better than that could yah? This includes under the thermal liner. No leaks anywhere. The only place water is likely to get in is up around the neck but i have had no problems with this.

Next up we have the Cordura Sport Pants (http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?page=listingDetails&categoryid=2&collectionid=&prodid=27&pageNum=1&x=22&y=14). Again these are bulky. Wearing these with the jacket i look like a marshmellow man. The pants didn't get as wet as the jacket so everything is again bone dry on the inside except about 5 cm at the bottom which seems to be soaked. This is most likely to be because i was only wearing skate shoes not motorcycle boots.

Finally we have the Cordura Waterproof Winter Motorcycle Gloves (http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?page=listingDetails&categoryid=5&collectionid=&prodid=17&pageNum=1&x=27&y=25). The gloves, like the jacket, are absolutely drenched. I could probably squeeze the water out. Inside isn't quite as dry as the jacket. There is definitely moisture at the fingertips however my hands came out dry so i was happy. These are definitely winter gloves as well. I used them in the heat the other day and when i pulled my hand out the liner on the inside came out which is a major pain in the ass to get back in.

Overall i am extremely pleased with the way 1 Tonnes cordura handles the wet conditions. Everything is well priced as well :woohoo:

All i need now are the boots to complete the package.

Hitcher
30th November 2009, 19:11
Amazing. Because cordura isn't waterproof.

p.dath
30th November 2009, 19:52
Amazing. Because cordura isn't waterproof.

Far be it from me to question the great Hitcher, but take a read of this article:
http://www.ehow.com/about_4675019_is-cordura-waterproof.html

It discusses what Cordura is, and goes on to say Nylon66 is extremely durable and waterproof.

Ultimately I think it depends on the final blend and how it is manufactured as to how waterproof the garment is.

Hitcher
30th November 2009, 20:12
"Cordura" is a term loosely used to describe motorcycle garments made from fabric woven from threads of synthetic polymer. It is a term used liberally as a generic and most is, in all likelihood, not Cordura(TM).

That said, fabric woven from synthetic polymer and marketed as motorcycle apparel isn't waterproof. Any reading of the many threads on this site alone devoted to this topic will reveal that in no time flat.

There is debate as to the water impermeability effectiveness of various liners, such as Hipora(TM), GoreTex(TM) and other "me too" products, some of which last longer than others.

Arguably the most effective water tightness for motorcyclists can be procured from Te Wharewhero or rural supplies stores. This is impermeable plastic with welded seams and usually comes in sporty yellow or cowshed green. Worn in combination with other motorcycle garments, it can provide outstanding value for money.

The only truly waterproof gloves are made by Rain-Off.

Motorcycle garments procured for a couple of hundred dollars an item will, at best, keep the wind out and armour securely in place. Nothing more.

Cheap is as cheap does.

sil3nt
30th November 2009, 20:15
Amazing. Because cordura isn't waterproof.Whatever it is it keeps the rain off! I don't care if its voodoo magic so long as im dry :woohoo:

CookMySock
30th November 2009, 20:33
Motorcycle garments procured for a couple of hundred dollars an item will, at best, keep the wind out and armour securely in place. Nothing more.Curiously, the man states how much he paid for it, and what the construction is, and that he TESTED IT waterproof, yet your unqualified opinion holds more water? (sorry, unintentional!)

I have a Mohsin textile jacket, and like the OP's 1Tonne, it is super thick, warm, and waterproof. I have never had a wet ANYTHING while wearing this jacket, under any conditions. My previous jacket was a DriRider, and the Mohsin (also around $135) is a far warmer and drier jacket by a wide margin. With the addition of the heated liner, I can ride anywhere in any conditions without care or regard for getting cold or wet.

Steve

Sparky Bills
30th November 2009, 20:46
Did you have your gloves inside your jacket or on the outside?
If they were on the outside then think where the water from your sleeves go when you brake...
Straight down into the big hole in your gloves.
Just a tip for next time if you didnt already know.

Hitcher
30th November 2009, 20:48
Curiously, the man states how much he paid for it, and what the construction is, and that he TESTED IT waterproof, yet your unqualified opinion holds more water?

Fair call. A two-hour ride in the rain is more than many will do in their gear.

Highlander
30th November 2009, 20:55
Fair call. A two-hour ride in the rain is more than many will do in their gear.

My "Cordura" gear is good for about that, there after I will get wet through unless I put a rain suit type arrangement on as well. I admit I'm going to get wet and do what I can to keep warm.

I have concluded that "Waterproof" when refering to Motorcycle gear actually means Water Resistant for the first few hours.
Rain off gloves are the exception to that. I have even had rain leaking in through the air vents on my helmet and trickling down my face.

sil3nt
30th November 2009, 20:57
Did you have your gloves inside your jacket or on the outside?
If they were on the outside then think where the water from your sleeves go when you brake...
Straight down into the big hole in your gloves.
Just a tip for next time if you didnt already know.Gloves are tightened down around the outside of the jacket. Otherwise i get a nice cool breeze up my arm. Hands come out dry so no water came in this way.

Sparky Bills
30th November 2009, 21:01
Gloves are tightened down around the outside of the jacket. Otherwise i get a nice cool breeze up my arm. Hands come out dry so no water came in this way.

Sounds like all your gear is too big for you.
Trust me. Putting your gloves on the inside is the ONLY way to keep your hands dry.

Highlander
30th November 2009, 21:05
These are definitely winter gloves as well. I used them in the heat the other day and when i pulled my hand out the liner on the inside came out which is a major pain in the ass to get back in.

People might look at you funny but if you toss a small container of talcum powder in your kit and dust your hands with it before putting your gloves on it prevents the liner coming out when you take your hand out of the glove, and keeps the gloves from smelling too bad too.

sil3nt
30th November 2009, 21:07
Trust me. Putting your gloves on the inside is the ONLY way to keep your hands dry.Shit i must have been in the twilight zone today. Cordura gear keeping me dry and gloves tightened on top of my jacket keeping my hands dry. Maybe i need to lay off these hardcore drugs i take with every meal.

Glad everyone here knows best :rockon:

Sparky Bills
30th November 2009, 21:12
Shit i must have been in the twilight zone today. Cordura gear keeping me dry and gloves tightened on top of my jacket keeping my hands dry. Maybe i need to lay off these hardcore drugs i take with every meal.

Glad everyone here knows best :rockon:

Sometimes there are people who give actual advise. Take it.. Use it..Whatever. All I know is my gear hasnt leaked for over 3 years.
Saying that, I have spent a shite load more than you have, so would hope so.
Enjoy your gear while it lasts. :rockon:

p.dath
30th November 2009, 21:17
Trust me. Putting your gloves on the inside is the ONLY way to keep your hands dry.

So if your blasting along, would that tend to drive the rain up the "gap" between the glove and your jacket, giving you nice wet arms?

I wear my gloves on the outside of the jacket sleeves for this reasons. The rain then blasts up and over the outside of the arm.

Seems to work for me.

Quasievil
30th November 2009, 21:26
It all depends on the kind of bike you ride and the angle of your arm in relation to the bikes bars. Water tends to run down on the underside, soooooooo if you ride a sportsbike put you gloves inside the jacket as the angle is great and the water would otherwise run into you glove............if you ride a motard or chopper etc where the angle is horiziontal or raised up, the wear your gloves on the outside.

make sense ?

Hope so, its worked for me in the 30 odd years of riding all sorts

Chur

oh, gear reviews are only worth writing if you crash in it as well

EnzoYug
30th November 2009, 22:23
It all depends on the kind of bike you ride and the angle of your arm in relation to the bikes bars. Water tends to run down on the underside, soooooooo if you ride a sportsbike put you gloves inside the jacket as the angle is great and the water would otherwise run into you glove............if you ride a motard or chopper etc where the angle is horiziontal or raised up, the wear your gloves on the outside.

make sense ?

Hope so, its worked for me in the 30 odd years of riding all sorts

Chur

Thanks Quasi, I was about to call bullshit on that myself. Gloves inside / outside is about arm position. Leaking seams / necklines / pant zippers = the same thing.

Pick the right bike, right screen, the right riding direction, the right god etc... and a t-shirt won't leak, largely because it wont see enough water.

CookMySock
1st December 2009, 05:31
My "Cordura" gear is good for about that, there after I will get wet through unless I put a rain suit type arrangement on as well. I admit I'm going to get wet and do what I can to keep warm.

I have concluded that "Waterproof" when refering to Motorcycle gear actually means Water Resistant for the first few hours. Nup. It doesn't. That's just what the dririder jackets are like.

Try a 1tonne or Mohsin (MBW) Jacket, and you will see what we mean - they are much better than the dririder for warmth and waterproof-ness. The only thing with them, is they are quite thick and warm - not sure how this will go over the heat of the summer.

In cold or wet conditions, I wear my gloves clamped tightly over my sleeves. This seals my sleeves up nicely. In the summer I'll put my gloves on first and leave my sleeves loose, for that nice cool breeze up my ars^Hms.

Steve

allycatz
1st December 2009, 10:56
While the ultimate test for a jacket is an 'off', I have to say my not expensive Mohsin jacket is totally windproof and warm as toast. Sleeves do up nice and snug around the wrists and have darbi gloves that fasten nicely over the top. Last time I pillioned in a borrowed jacket and gloves, I was cold and miserable as hell.

Sparky Bills
1st December 2009, 15:55
So if your blasting along, would that tend to drive the rain up the "gap" between the glove and your jacket, giving you nice wet arms?

I wear my gloves on the outside of the jacket sleeves for this reasons. The rain then blasts up and over the outside of the arm.

Seems to work for me.

I have to admit that I used to think this...
But that was about 8 years ago BEFORE I tried it. The jacket should be done up snug so there shouldnt be any air gap anyway. Give it a go. What have you got to lose? (obviously it still depends if your gear is actually waterproof to start with).

p.dath
1st December 2009, 16:50
I have to admit that I used to think this...
But that was about 8 years ago BEFORE I tried it. The jacket should be done up snug so there shouldnt be any air gap anyway. Give it a go. What have you got to lose? (obviously it still depends if your gear is actually waterproof to start with).

Well, I don't have a problem - so I guess I've got nice dry arms to loose ... :cool:

Laxi
1st December 2009, 16:58
I bought a pair of 1 tonne pants about a year ago, they were VERY water proof for the 1st few months then started leaking, thats when i figured that waterproofing is about what you wash or treat the item in, my trousers still leak in the crotch though but no more than any other brand, I DO have issues with the trousers in other ways though

Gizzit
1st December 2009, 18:41
Motorcycle garments procured for a couple of hundred dollars an item will, at best, keep the wind out and armour securely in place. Nothing more.
Cheap is as cheap does.

Bullshit.

The 1Tonne jackets and trou are dry. It doesn't matter what the price is .... they work. I've never been wet in mine.

Okey Dokey
1st December 2009, 19:05
Thanks for the review. Great to hear that your gear is working so well.

Sparky Bills
1st December 2009, 22:28
Well, I don't have a problem - so I guess I've got nice dry arms to loose ... :cool:

Like I said, im offering actual advise. Use it or not I dotn really care.

Sparky Bills
1st December 2009, 22:30
I bought a pair of 1 tonne pants about a year ago, they were VERY water proof for the 1st few months then started leaking, thats when i figured that waterproofing is about what you wash or treat the item in, my trousers still leak in the crotch though but no more than any other brand, I DO have issues with the trousers in other ways though

The outer material of this style pant isnt the waterproof part....
Its the liner between the thermal liner and the outer.
My pants have NEVER leaked. And ive ridden in some pretty hardcore rain.
So it all depends what "other brands" you are talking about...

marine0089
2nd December 2009, 11:04
Next up we have the Cordura Sport Pants (http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?page=listingDetails&categoryid=2&collectionid=&prodid=27&pageNum=1&x=22&y=14). Again these are bulky. Wearing these with the jacket i look like a marshmellow man. The pants didn't get as wet as the jacket so everything is again bone dry on the inside except about 5 cm at the bottom which seems to be soaked. This is most likely to be because i was only wearing skate shoes not motorcycle boots.

I've got a pair of these and have to say they are brilliant (bar how short the legs on them are and i'm a short guy!). Have been caught out in the rain numerous times with these and have come away dry.

Due to the shortness of the leg you do need to wear boots however otherwise, like you said, the bottom of your pants get a good wash.

slofox
2nd December 2009, 11:20
My "summer" gloves (Spool) are Cordura or somesuch material. When I got caught in the monsoon yesterday they did NOT fare well...totally soaked through and still just as wet today.

Next time, I wear my Quasi leather gloves...(which were kindly waterproofed by Quasi...:2thumbsup).

1tonne
3rd December 2009, 06:55
I've got a pair of these and have to say they are brilliant (bar how short the legs on them are and i'm a short guy!). Have been caught out in the rain numerous times with these and have come away dry.

Due to the shortness of the leg you do need to wear boots however otherwise, like you said, the bottom of your pants get a good wash.

Hi. If they are a little short for you, what some people have done is add elastic at the bottom of the legs so that they can hoop under thier boot. Use good quality elastic though as it has to withstand the weather.

1tonne
3rd December 2009, 07:04
Thanks for the review. Great to hear that your gear is working so well.

Cheers. A QUICK NEWS FLASH. We are in the process of designing some very High end Cordura garments that would retail around the $500-$600.00 mark in the shops. They will be excellent in the winter and summer with pockets all over and too many features to list. We will be retailing them for only $200.00. This is a steal. High end quality at a rider friendly price. These should be on the market at the end of January.

Gizzit
3rd December 2009, 17:34
Cheers. A QUICK NEWS FLASH. We are in the process of designing some very .... did you leave this word out ....(high) ????? ..... end Cordura garments that would retail around the $500-$600.00 mark in the shops. They will be excellent in the winter and summer with pockets all over and too many features to list. We will be retailing them for only $200.00. This is a steal. High end quality at a rider friendly price. These should be on the market at the end of January.

Sounds good !!!!

Will look forward to seeing them. :niceone:

1tonne
3rd December 2009, 17:45
Cheers for that Gizzit. You are a legand.

Gizzit
3rd December 2009, 17:50
Cheers for that Gizzit. You are a legand.

A legand a what ???? or Leg end ... ?? and any other leg and sumfing ?? lol :D
You're welcome mate. :)

Hopeful Bastard
3rd December 2009, 17:50
Sounds good to me. Well done to the crew at 1 tonne!

Will be keeping an eye out on this new gear coming in :niceone:

phill-k
3rd December 2009, 19:15
Have a 1tonne leather jacket, cordura trousers and just bought their denims for the summer, all bloody well made, fits well good price for your average man, no prada pricing if you get what I mean.
well done 1tonne you give great customer service, and have a bloody great product to boot.:Punk:

cheers
phill

jasonzc
10th February 2010, 21:19
Lucky all you guys.. my three month old cordura stuff (strada sporty stragio??? sth liek that) jacket leaks... i think from zips of the vents... and inner always seems damp, even after 3-5 mins in moderate rain. NOT happy and do not look forward to winter :S

the matching pants are ohk, but they leak at the crotch area.

As a poor student, i cant afford new gear, so i guess ill just have to bite the bullet and toughen up to the wet haha.

Blackbird
19th February 2010, 10:15
Well, on the strength of this thread, I've just purchased the 1 tonne cordura/waterproof membrane sports pants to replace my old touring leather pants. The service from Nathan and Natalia was first rate and the pants were a perfect fit (note: they're available in short leg for shortarses like me). They are extremely well made with decent quality fittings. All I have to do is test them in a real downpour which won't be for the next few days but am really impressed so far.

DangerMice
19th February 2010, 13:38
I purchased some sports pants and boots last week. They arrived the next day and they really are the business. I'm really happy with them.

Gizzit
19th February 2010, 18:37
I've bought a bit of gear now from Nathan & Natalia. I have the utmost confidence in them as people with real integrity, sellers of really good quality gear, and at excellent prices !!

Seeing this thread come back up again, .... reminds me I need to buy some waterproof boots from them soon !! :niceone:

sil3nt
19th February 2010, 19:51
Well, on the strength of this thread, I've just purchased the 1 tonne cordura/waterproof membrane sports pants to replace my old touring leather pants. The service from Nathan and Natalia was first rate and the pants were a perfect fit (note: they're available in short leg for shortarses like me). They are extremely well made with decent quality fittings. All I have to do is test them in a real downpour which won't be for the next few days but am really impressed so far.Is now a bad time to say that about a week after i made this thread i was caught in the worst downpour ever. Pools of water were being blown across the road and i could barely see. My ass got absolutely soaked. I don't think anything could have kept this amount of water out. I didn't have the thermal liner in though so that might have made a difference. Made for an uncomfortable day at work thats for sure. I do believe that was a one off and nobody in their right mind would ride a bike in that sort of weather.

Dadpole
19th February 2010, 20:03
I bought the cordura jacket & pants and gave them the wet test last weekend. The only damp bit was around the neck where I didn't do up the collar properly. They get a very good rating from me, especially for the asking price.
That was more than could be said for my Dririder Storm gloves.

Gizzit
19th February 2010, 21:12
I bought the cordura jacket & pants and gave them the wet test last weekend. The only damp bit was around the neck where I didn't do up the collar properly. They get a very good rating from me, especially for the asking price.

Yeah I've been caught in some pretty heavy Northland downpours, and haven't been wet yet in 1Tonne cordura gear !! However ...... last week I got caught out though .... coming home and I had the vent zips all open, and it bucketed down, and I got wet through the unzipped vents !!! I was too pig headed to stop and do the zips up .... thinking 'oh I've only got a short distance to go .....how bad can it get' !!!! lol :) I did get wet !!! :D My only time wet with this gear on .... and it was no fault of the gear .... just the idiot wearing it !!!! :D

Blackbird
19th February 2010, 21:24

Encouraging news!

The only gloves worth having are the NZ-made Rain Off mitts in terms of waterproofing - perfection.

Dadpole
19th February 2010, 23:39
I put my opinion of the gloves in Bike & Product Reviews

LBD
20th February 2010, 02:19
Encouraging news!

The only gloves worth having are the NZ-made Rain Off mitts in terms of waterproofing - perfection.

cept getting them on is such a pain

Blackbird
20th February 2010, 06:46
cept getting them on is such a pain

Agreed, but using your teeth to hold the stretch cord whilst you slide the toggle down with the other hand makes it pretty straightforward.

Highlander
20th February 2010, 07:24
I loop the elastic bit over the end of the handle bar or brake lever and slide the toggle with my other hand. Peazy eazy.

Agreed, but using your teeth to hold the stretch cord whilst you slide the toggle down with the other hand makes it pretty straightforward.

marine0089
20th February 2010, 09:16
I've got some 1tonne sport pants. Have been caught in some pretty heavy downpoors going to/returning from work. I am always amazed when I take them off and my pants under are completely dry. My route to work is only 20minutes however.

Very pleased with them.

Ratti
21st February 2010, 07:58
How long does waterproofing on cordura generally last? I know it would be dependant largely on the amount of wear the item gets. Let's say a rider who uses them everyday for a 30 minute commute and maybe a long blat on the weekend. Any suggestions based on experience?

Blackbird
21st February 2010, 09:11
How long does waterproofing on cordura generally last? I know it would be dependant largely on the amount of wear the item gets. Let's say a rider who uses them everyday for a 30 minute commute and maybe a long blat on the weekend. Any suggestions based on experience?

Cordura itself is only marginally waterproof - it's the breathable membrane underneath which really counts and that should last a long time. I had a Teknics cordura waterproof jacket that was treated but didn't have a membrane and it leaked in heavy rain from day 1. It improved after I used Nikwax wash treatments but was never totally waterproof so I soaked it in Scotchguard heavy duty silicone spray. It picked up dirt like you wouldn't believe but was pretty waterproof. I'd go for a membrane type (which is most of them these days). I've got an Arlen Ness cordura/membrane jacket now which is good for all but the heaviest prolonged rain. I just chuck a solid plastic Spool brand motorcycle jacket on in the worst conditions.

The 1 tonne gear ( www.1tonne.co.nz) looks extremely well made and is sharply priced. Feedback on this thread is pretty positive too.

carver
21st February 2010, 20:45

oh yeah, just like bike reviews...got to bin to win!

goldgal
21st February 2010, 22:45
Oh blah blah!!!. My cordura keeps me dry, warm and I aint "cheap is as cheap does!.

Coldrider
22nd February 2010, 10:25
How long does waterproofing on cordura generally last? I know it would be dependant largely on the amount of wear the item gets. Let's say a rider who uses them everyday for a 30 minute commute and maybe a long blat on the weekend. Any suggestions based on experience?I got six years leak free for my teknic cordura covered 'powerskin' membrane, now it leaks.
Some leaks are due to seams coming apart.

wingrider
22nd February 2010, 12:41
3M Scotchgaurd sprayed onto garments works great. Ordinary silicon spray is a wast of time. Also rub dubbin on the fabric edge of the zips works wonders.

Gezza
10th March 2010, 19:30
And here's my sixpence worth. I have worn Cordura jackets for the last 3 years with no problems as far as rain was concerned. Maybe i just hadn't been in enough of it. On a recent south Is trip in good steady rain from Picton to Murchison i was wet through. Would in future use a full rain suit over my Cordura jacket as i also love wearing it.
Gary

carver
10th March 2010, 19:34
3M Scotchgaurd sprayed onto garments works great. Ordinary silicon spray is a wast of time. Also rub dubbin on the fabric edge of the zips works wonders.

i use that stuff on dirt bikes, stops mud sticking too

carver
10th March 2010, 19:34

i use that stuff on dirt bikes, stops mud sticking too

dmoo1790
17th April 2010, 17:50
And here's my sixpence worth. I have worn Cordura jackets for the last 3 years with no problems as far as rain was concerned. Maybe i just hadn't been in enough of it. On a recent south Is trip in good steady rain from Picton to Murchison i was wet through. Would in future use a full rain suit over my Cordura jacket as i also love wearing it.
Gary

I agree. I have a really nice Dainese Jacket which I thought was waterproof. Proved wrong in just 10 mins of torrential, horizontal rain near Westport recently. The waterproof membrane worked but water forced it's way through the front zip. Never happened before on many wet rides so I guess everything has a limit except fully sealed plastic gear.

The other thing about typical fabric jackets/pants with waterproof membrane liners is that they soak up a ton of water. You don't (usually) get wet but your gear takes a while to dry out. So I'm going back to my very early riding days and will wear plastic over my usual riding gear.

CookMySock
17th April 2010, 18:26
Not many things are water PROOF in "torrential horizontal rain". It doesn't matter too much, as long as you're warm anyway.

Steve

granstar
21st April 2014, 12:18
Finding winter condition gloves actually water proof after some hours of riding is difficult and iv'e use "Rain Off's" albiet a pain to get used to, with success.

Re-1 Tonne gloves, any thoughts on best model best suited for New Zealand "winter" conditions or any other brands tried and proven you can swear by on your mother's bible?

A lot of reviews on Youtube and Google on different winter gloves..blah,blah.......blah!. People rave about about how good these are but are riding in 20 degree plus conditions most of them. Kiwi's riding with an Antarctica blasting wind chill my guess around -10 the norm and looking for something decent to keep the digits warm after say 30 minutes ride in frost, don't get wet inside in an hours riding of drizzle, keep the wind chill out, and of course have protection should anything turn to custard.

Any recommendations?

1tonne
21st April 2014, 12:59
We have had a lot of people really like our Chief gloves and our Waterproof Trackdayer gloves:
http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?page=listingDetails&prodid=68&sco=&categoryid=104
http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?page=listingDetails&prodid=66&sco=&categoryid=104

I use the Trackdayer gloves myself.

Berries
21st April 2014, 13:42
People rave about about how good these are but are riding in 20 degree plus conditions most of them. Kiwi's riding with an Antarctica blasting wind chill my guess around -10 the norm and looking for something decent to keep the digits warm after say 30 minutes ride in frost, don't get wet inside in an hours riding of drizzle, keep the wind chill out, and of course have protection should anything turn to custard.

Any recommendations?
I have got a pair of Belstaff winter gloves. I ride all year in Dunedin's tropical weather and if I ever need to replace them I will get the same again. They look like these ones -

pritch
21st April 2014, 14:06
[QUOTE=granstar;1130710198

Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

In your case, heated grips. :whistle:

granstar
21st April 2014, 19:00
Thanks for replies...so far.

Heated grips , do they warm the fingers?

1tonne
21st April 2014, 19:30
In some cases (Early in a frosty morning) there is no glove that can keep your fingers warm and so that is when heated and grips come into play.

granstar
21st April 2014, 20:24
Um not on a 1979 Triumph :yes: Lucas don't make the connection :laugh:

Intersting test here ...some of the big buck gloves appear useless, Held look the best but pricey.

www.visordown.com/product-features/tested...gloves/21734-5.html‎

Erelyes
25th April 2014, 14:22

Personally found I would have warmish palms and numb fingertips with mine (had them on my bike before the Ninja), a fair bit of my commute is on the motorway at 100k's though, so wind chill is up there.

Considering getting handguards for my bike this winter.

GrayWolf
25th April 2014, 18:24

I would say that buying good quality gloves/gear made for the European Winter market is your best solution. The Winters there (UK for example) are long, cold and damp.

I have 5(five) gloves, expensive, but 'toasty warm' compared to cheaper gloves.

bluninja
25th April 2014, 19:05
In some cases (Early in a frosty morning) there is no glove that can keep your fingers warm and so that is when heated and grips come into play.

I commuted in the UK year round for 3 years 100Km each way. Most standard gloves (not summer or fingerless)will last you 30-45 minutes before the chill really sets in at near zero temps. You can get an extra 10-15 minutes by wearing silk inners, and add some latex gloves over the silk inners when it pisses down. The waterproof thermals gloves I had were toasty for 90 minutes each way, Frank Thomas Aqua-something or other

yevjenko
29th April 2014, 11:03
My Shoei winter gloves have the 3m thinsulate in them as per the 1Tonne gear. I can't recommend that stuff enough. My gloves keep me toasty warm and dry and they are 14 years old!!! Unfortunately Shoei don't make gloves anymore.

and as for heated grips.... LOVE EM. can't recommend em enough. no idea what brand the ones on my bike are (all I know is they are not oxford), but they work like a bastard and keep my fingers warm even when caught out in summer gloves.

Quasievil
30th April 2014, 09:48
Knox Zero gloves, end of story
buy cheap, get cheap................ just like everything else

willytheekid
30th April 2014, 11:20

love my heated grips :yes:
...have you thought of trying over gloves?....a bit clumsy to wear & use, but VERY effective at keeping your hands dry and warm.

And disregard what some are saying about "only buy expensive gear...the rest is cheap shit", most people saying that are either "in the industry" or have the rediculas ideology that the more expensive the product...the better!! (regardless of reviews etc that state otherwise)

Check product reviews and rider feedback etc and carry on the research you are presently doing, you can save thousands on gear, and can end up with far superiour products than some of the so called brand name gear (...you certainly do PAY for that flash name on the gear)

Case in point...I bought a no-name brand thermal wet weather suit off trade me for $80....four years on, its still going strong, never leaks, bloody warm!, and its the best Dry suit I have EVER tried....work mate spent nearly $300 on a "big name" brand dry suit....its absolute shit!, leaks, has drafts and he is already looking for a replacement (he only got it at the start of last winter!:crazy:)

...money can't buy common sence....but common sence can save you alot of money! ;)

ps...brother has the full range of gear from 1 Tonne- boots, pants, jacket, gloves...he's really happy with the product and the support

ruaphu
30th April 2014, 11:51
love my heated grips :yes:
...have you thought of trying over gloves?....a bit clumsy to wear & use, but VERY effective at keeping your hands dry and warm.

And disregard what some are saying about "only buy expensive gear...the rest is cheap shit", most people saying that are either "in the industry" or have the rediculas ideology that the more expensive the product...the better!! (regardless of reviews etc that state otherwise)

Check product reviews and rider feedback etc and carry on the research you are presently doing, you can save thousands on gear, and can end up with far superiour products than some of the so called brand name gear (...you certainly do PAY for that flash name on the gear)

Case in point...I bought a no-name brand thermal wet weather suit off trade me for $80....four years on, its still going strong, never leaks, bloody warm!, and its the best Dry suit I have EVER tried....work mate spent nearly $300 on a "big name" brand dry suit....its absolute shit!, leaks, has drafts and he is already looking for a replacement (he only got it at the start of last winter!:crazy:)

...money can't buy common sence....but common sence can save you alot of money! ;)

ps...brother has the full range of gear from 1 Tonne- boots, pants, jacket, gloves...he's really happy with the product and the support

Cheers Bro, Yep, he's right, i have everything bar the boots

The boots were worn solidly for four years. I wore the soles out finally . Comfy, waterproof and held together fine, including a slide down the road. I dropped my bike mid corner on manhole cover landing heavily on my right ankle and hand. The boot protected my ankle nicely avoiding injury, except wicked bruising.

My jacket is 1tonne's touring type, had over two years and worn daily. I tour in it, no issues. I typically leave rain insert left in and only had to replace that late last year for a very reasonable price as it started to leak at the elbows.

Had various Pants, all have been thrashed and one pair slid down the road, all good.

Gloves, I've had six or seven different pairs over the years for summer winter etc, all done very well. The pair i slid down the road on were over a year old. They held together nicely and saved my right hand from a nasty injury.

All in all their gear is tops in view after eight years of using their products with good outcomes.

Mr 1 Tonne, when are you releasing that awesome jacket you showed me last year????? Been looking, seen nothing. That prototype was a mighty fine upgrade to the touring jacket, with all those bells and whistles on it, and a good cut too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1tonne
1st May 2014, 10:14
Mr 1 Tonne, when are you releasing that awesome jacket you showed me last year????? Been looking, seen nothing. That prototype was a mighty fine upgrade to the touring jacket, with all those bells and whistles on it, and a good cut too.

Unfortunately we are still working on it. We have had some big holdups overseas on it (To be honest, the holdups have really peed me off).
I expected it to be on the market by now but since there are holdups, I cannot give a time of when it will be mass produced. I will post it up on KB when it's ready.

ruaphu
1st May 2014, 19:06
Unfortunately we are still working on it. We have had some big holdups overseas on it (To be honest, the holdups have really peed me off).
I expected it to be on the market by now but since there are holdups, I cannot give a time of when it will be mass produced. I will post it up on KB when it's ready.

Bugger, sorry to hear that Nathan. Look forward to seeing it on the market soon as the issues are resolved eh. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erelyes
1st May 2014, 19:13
I purchased an All-Season Explorer jacket (http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?page=listingDetails&categoryid=100&sco=&collectionid=&prodid=2&pageNum=1&x=41&y=23) a month ago and have been using it for 3 weeks now.

Sizing wise it is very good, the chart on the website is spot on.
Quality control appears good, there were no unstitched pieces etc. The zipper for the 'rain inner' is a bit fiddly to get done up and takes some wiggling, but all others are fine.
Half my commute is on the motorway at 100 k's; the jacket protects very well from wind blast.
I have ridden in 2 degree weather (this morning) with nothing underneath except a cheap singlet and a cheap business shirt. I wasn't cold.
I have ridden in 15 degree weather, I wasn't too hot. This was with the thermal liner left in, mind.
I have ridden through some pretty decent rain (sideways rain too) and the jacket has withstood it.
Armour and material wise, I have no qualms about how well this would hold up if I should bin in it. It's 1000D on the shoulders which is nice.
There are actually 2 jacket/pants connectors - on the jacket itself as well as the waterproof liner. I guess this may be so you can wear the waterproof liner just by itself over something else?
There is a good number of pockets. The one on the inside of the waterproof liner is particularly handy, it means I don't have to rely on my glad sandwich bag to keep my stuff dry.
The somewhat bulky velcro adjuster for the arms sometimes catch against the side of the jacket when wearing it around on your lunch break. Not a problem riding.

Pros : Utility, price, comfort, protection
Cons : One fiddly zipper

I am well impressed and would buy from 1tonne again. Happy for 1tonne to quote whole or part of my post on your testimonials page if you so desire.

Thanks, 1tonne, for pimping my ride. :niceone:

MD
4th May 2014, 12:02
I've just got myself a pair of 1Tonne Storm winter gloves. They look great and were reasonably priced. Plenty of impact/abrasion protection, sure are warm and fit well.

Until I get caught out riding in the rain I can't say how well they will keep my hands dry and warm. But after almost 40 years of riding I'm still to find any gloves that do, so my expectation is they will hold it at bay for a reasonable period. What I have found is some brands that supposedly claimed to be 100% water proof gave up at first drop of moisture and one pair I threw away after their first day of use. They got my hands so stupidly wet and frozen so quickly they set a new world record for uselessness! Can't remember the brand name off hand but I know if I ever see it again I will run a mile.