PDA

View Full Version : New headlight rule and classics.

nseagoon
1st December 2009, 07:49
A mate has a Dnepr motorcycle and the Generator is not powerful enough to support all the lights for a long period of time.

I have been told bikes prior to 1980 don't have to comply to the headlights on at all times new law. anyone able to shed any light?

nseagoon
1st December 2009, 07:50
pun intended :-)

onearmedbandit
1st December 2009, 08:06
Yeah bikes first registered before a specific date (around 1980, can't remember but you should be able to find it) are exempt from the new law change.

nseagoon
1st December 2009, 08:27
After much searching (possibly my incompetence in using the internet) I finally found the law.
anyone else who wants to know

You must also turn on either your moped or motorcycle's headlight or daytime running lights during daylight hours if your motorcycle or moped was manufactured on or after 1 January 1980.

If your moped or motorcycle was manufactured before 1 January 1980, you must turn on your moped or motorcycle's headlight during the hours of darkness, from 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.

Voltaire
1st December 2009, 18:34
Narva ( Repco and the like) do a 20 watt Halogen Parking bulb for about $14.00 ( gasp).
It 'looks' like you have your main beam on and the battery should cope....but as Motu pointed out you may need to relay it so as not to have it on with the main light.

I was riding the toaster today with my ACC visy on ...but no light and I could see a car coming from my left up a side road ahead and I could tell she had not seen me..... I slowed right down and glared at her....:Pokey:

Motorists do not pay much attention.

But hey......ACC are there and its a no fault scheme....Yeah Right

gammaguy
1st December 2009, 18:41
get a pair of WHITE LED arrays,mount them either side of the headlight.

Presto!

Running lights,which satisfy the regulations and also drain a very small amount of power.

sorted:niceone:

Motu
1st December 2009, 21:11
Daytime LED running lights are getting a bit of a push from the retailers now.Draw stuff all current and can be seen better by motorists anyway.If I mount a pair on my crashbars then people might think I've got some expensive driving lights on there...and that must mean that I'm some sort of extreme ride in any condition hardcore biker.Image is everything.

nseagoon
2nd December 2009, 15:11
I've suggested a small battery with dyno and/or small solar panel to provide lighting. and I'll probably create a few LED arrays for it.

The Dnepr Sidecar bike is a resto project found in a farm shed. (Vauxhall Astra pistons were used), it's a complete rebuild. and the Gene is stuffed. but at least he's able to ride to work and back every day now.

it's not too bad for a Ukrainian copy of a Soviet bike which is a copy of a German bike lol

Dodgyiti
4th December 2009, 06:04
After much searching (possibly my incompetence in using the internet) I finally found the law.

Poor thing, you could have spent 5 seconds searching the forums here and found all you needed to know and more.<_<

Pedrostt500
6th December 2009, 08:38
Can the LED running lights be run of 6 volt, or would I need to set up a 12Volt dead loss system for them?.

Paul in NZ
6th December 2009, 08:45
I know you can 6v LED and H4 bulbs in the UK - not sure about here, certainly not from repco

nseagoon
8th December 2009, 09:54
Just create your own array. use a piece of blank board that gets stenciled with sunlight. and a lot of superbright LED's. something that will only cost about $20 in parts from jaycar, dicksmith or RS. and voltage will be completely your own preference and setup.

I created one that slotted in where the old headlight went and used the same plug. I just soldered 25 LED's on it. and it's running 6v extremely well

gammaguy
8th December 2009, 10:46
A mate has a Dnepr motorcycle and the Generator is not powerful enough to support all the lights for a long period of time.

I have been told bikes prior to 1980 don't have to comply to the headlights on at all times new law. anyone able to shed any light?

check out my thread here:http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1129557311#post1129557311
should sort you out,let me know if you need the LED array,ill be happy to send you one.

Juzz976
8th December 2009, 11:28
I've got 2 white 6V LED's that are never going to be used.
Bought from landis & Gyr - LSTD-6 : page 9 http://www.idec.com/language/english_j/ControlUnits_Switches/EP1075_HWDualPushbutton/EP1075_HW_Dual_Pushbutton.pdf

they are mini bayonet BA9 10mm diameter 21mm long. 17mA, they are LED arrays for use in industrial pilot lamps. PM your address and I'll send em to ya.

Pedrostt500
8th January 2010, 17:42
Ok after a bit of running around I've come up with a solution, Super Cheap have Halogen 50 W day running lights for about $ 35 a set, ( Code No 21261-25) they take the sealed Halogen bulbs, MR16+C, like what are used in down lights, Take these out of the casings, Jay Car has a sealed LED unit that draws 5 W, these are a straight swap for the Halogen, and put out 300 Lumens each, and $ 71 each,( Code No ZD-0356, get the cool white LED as they are brighter than the warm white LED.)
The beauty is that these LEDs will run off 6 V to 24V, so no need to set up a dead loss system for a bike on 6 Volt.
I have wired these into the park light circuit on the mighty XL 500, and fitted a 5amp fuse just for safty.
Will post some Pics when I get my camera sorted.

Ixion
8th January 2010, 18:37
That sounds good. Off to Super Crap and Jaycar on Monday. In fact most of mine that would have problems are covered by the 1980 exemption. BUT - I bet most cops don't know about the pre-1980 exemption. So they see a bike with no headlamp and go "Oh weeeoh quota" and pull me up. Which is fine as far as the lights go. BUT - once pulled up they'll probably check rego. Which may not be so fine (or rather, may be so 'fine', if you take my meaning).

Pedrostt500
8th January 2010, 18:45
Ok Heres some pics, The second pic is head light on full beam.

XRVrider
8th January 2010, 19:48
Have just made a spot light, an extra driving light to clamp onto me old school scoot's handlebars. Its an LED bulb (3 LEDs pumping out 260 lumens, MR16 is what is called). The bulb looks like a house halogen downlighter bulb, its 12V and going to go on with highbeam, or switched to go on for daytime running. Its really bright and not a directional beam so good spread and lights up everything at night, not just the road. Havnt ridden with it yet as the NZeta is in pieces, its 3 watt and draws feck all power (2amps or less... not sure though). Very bright in testing, lights up the whole back yard.

Jaycar is the place as they have the knowledge and will help with advice to set up all LEDS you wire together, with resisters etc if you go down that path. You cant blow them by wiring them up wrong... they just dont go, and this bulb I'm using is expected to last 50000 hours if not constantly run too much at higher volts than 12. LEDS seem the perfect option for older bikes.

Pedrostt500
8th January 2010, 21:52
Just went for a wee night ride to see what the difference is, it made a notable difference, more for periferal lighting, than as a pencil beam. In the past I would have erred on the side of caution taking the old girl out for a night ride, now I feel alot more confident in the lighting, even gives an acceptable night light with just the park light and LEDs, though wouldnt want to do this to offten.

Voltaire
9th January 2010, 07:30
That sounds good. Off to Super Crap and Jaycar on Monday. In fact most of mine that would have problems are covered by the 1980 exemption. BUT - I bet most cops don't know about the pre-1980 exemption. So they see a bike with no headlamp and go "Oh weeeoh quota" and pull me up. Which is fine as far as the lights go. BUT - once pulled up they'll probably check rego. Which may not be so fine (or rather, may be so 'fine', if you take my meaning).

Are you talking about the Beezer geezer....:innocent:

I'd like to be pulled over for no headlight.....for the amusement value.
However having fitted the 20 watt halogen to the parking light this is unlikely to happen.:woohoo:

Dodgyiti
9th January 2010, 07:51
In fact most of mine that would have problems are covered by the 1980 exemption. BUT - I bet most cops don't know about the pre-1980 exemption. So they see a bike with no headlamp and go "Oh weeeoh quota" and pull me up. Which is fine as far as the lights go. BUT - once pulled up they'll probably check rego. Which may not be so fine (or rather, may be so 'fine', if you take my meaning).

Ahhh, yep. They will sting you for that. Best to follow the regulations to prevent further reaming when you get pulled over*. With the Beeza I think they will realise it is exempt.

*I could read the tag on your bike from safe following distance the other day, so either relocate your rego or get a rego:nono:

rok-the-boat
9th January 2010, 12:41
Ok after a bit of running around I've come up with a solution, Super Cheap have Halogen 50 W day running lights for about $ 35 a set, ( Code No 21261-25) they take the sealed Halogen bulbs, MR16+C, like what are used in down lights, Take these out of the casings, Jay Car has a sealed LED unit that draws 5 W, these are a straight swap for the Halogen, and put out 300 Lumens each, and $ 71 each,( Code No ZD-0356, get the cool white LED as they are brighter than the warm white LED.)
The beauty is that these LEDs will run off 6 V to 24V, so no need to set up a dead loss system for a bike on 6 Volt.
I have wired these into the park light circuit on the mighty XL 500, and fitted a 5amp fuse just for safty.
Will post some Pics when I get my camera sorted.

Hey, I like that. My 1982 DR500S does not like running with lights - has a new (tiny) battery (6V) and around town in traffic the light soon drains the power. It all works, but the indicators will flash slower or, anyway, not properly after that. Once out of town, no hassle, battery charges up again. I need some LEDs that run with 6V - waiting for pics. Also, with such a circuit, the back light won't be on either.

Ixion
9th January 2010, 16:27
Are you talking about the Beezer geezer....:innocent:

I'd like to be pulled over for no headlight.....for the amusement value.
However having fitted the 20 watt halogen to the parking light this is unlikely to happen.:woohoo:

The Beezer's registered . AND got a WoF. 40+ years old, rego's cheap, and there
's bugger all FOR them to test for the WoF. It's the ones between 1980 and 1970 that are the problem.

red mermaid
9th January 2010, 20:13

Once again, pure conjecture on your part, and can be put on the huge pile of innuendo, gossip, and just plain falsehoods that you publish.

Not being in the job or even aware of any training systems you have absolutely no idea so you might as well have kept quiet.

XRVrider
9th January 2010, 20:58
Once again, pure conjecture on your part, and can be put on the huge pile of innuendo, gossip, and just plain falsehoods that you publish.

Not being in the job or even aware of any training systems you have absolutely no idea so you might as well have kept quiet.

Dont feel so agrieved. Just cos you sound as if you are/were a cop... there are some things cops do wrong... SOME, just as in any job or walk of life. So chill man, nobodies perfect.

I will always listen to Ixion, he's been around. Please dont stay quiet mate. Better get your rego sorted though, you naughty bstard, Mr Plod is already pissed off.

Pedrostt500
9th January 2010, 21:32
Hey, I like that. My 1982 DR500S does not like running with lights - has a new (tiny) battery (6V) and around town in traffic the light soon drains the power. It all works, but the indicators will flash slower or, anyway, not properly after that. Once out of town, no hassle, battery charges up again. I need some LEDs that run with 6V - waiting for pics. Also, with such a circuit, the back light won't be on either.

Pics above, the LEDs are mounted on an ali plate just above the front mud gaurd, I havn't worried abuot an LED in the tail light yet, still just running the standard tail / stop light bulb, though there is plenty of room in the XLs tail light to mount some thing in the near future.