PDA

View Full Version : Does MDF expand with the cold?

Molly
1st December 2009, 19:31
Lined my new garage (studs 100cm apart) with 8mm MDF last week when it was stinking hot. Went out tonight and noticed some of the sheets are bowing out. Is this just down to the cold or am I going to have to take the bloody lot off and put in extra dwangs?

Arse.

T.W.R
1st December 2009, 19:32
Lined my new garage (studs 100cm apart) with 8mm MDF last week when it was stinking hot. Went out tonight and noticed some of the sheets are bowing out. Is this just down to the cold or am I going to have to take the bloody lot off and put in extra dwangs?

Arse.

any moisture & swells like a bastard

roadracingoldfart
1st December 2009, 19:33

Arse.

I would guess you have it nailed to the inside with no damp proofing at all and the moisture is doing what it does best to MDF. Extra deangs will not help , you have to stop the moisties.

Paul.

vifferman
1st December 2009, 19:41
Yup.
MDF's basically compressed paper, and sucks up moisture ferociously. It's not the best for lining gargres with, especially if not waterproofed.

hayd3n
1st December 2009, 19:44
needed to seal tha mdf first its great stuff until it gets damp

p.dath
1st December 2009, 20:05
Time to get the dehumifier out to get the MDF back in shape ...

sil3nt
1st December 2009, 20:07
I think moisture ruins MDF. Not 100% though.

2wheeldrifter
1st December 2009, 20:28
any moisture & swells like a bastard

Get the misses excited.. samething happens to me :laugh:

T.W.R
1st December 2009, 21:29
Get the misses excited.. samething happens to me :laugh:

:eek: usually get the same issue here too..... moist missus & swelling sets in :done:

Sam I Am
1st December 2009, 23:32
Yup its moisture,
Just a idear....I have used hardboard as floor liner and we use to damp it down both sides let it swell for a while and then nail it down (still damp) and it would srink in place nice and tight..... never tryed it on a wall, but it would make MDF a little furry i guess...

2wheeldrifter
2nd December 2009, 05:28
Just a idear....nail it ,nice and tight.....? little furry i guess...

Huh She told me I was the only one... :( wait till I get home!

:laugh:

Molly
2nd December 2009, 06:20
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have to re-think this then. Will take it off, lay it flat with a weight on it (upturned bike lift springs to mind) and leave it a while whilst I put building paper agains the walls. I'll seal the MDF and put it back up.

What a ball-ache. Would've been better to just buy plywood.

Thanks again.

2wheeldrifter
2nd December 2009, 06:27
Yes plywood would of been better suited for sure.

Paint it and make shelves out of it... put ply on the walls.

Easy to say when it's your time and money ! :)

T.W.R
2nd December 2009, 06:48
Marine grade ply not the standard stuff as it seperates with moisture <_<

Swoop
2nd December 2009, 07:04
<STRIKE>"Dwangs"</STRIKE>. Nogs, you mean.

Rubbish. Construction ply is fine for lining a garage with. Marine ply is waaaay over the top, unless you have major water issues.

T.W.R
2nd December 2009, 07:10

Rubbish. Construction ply is fine for lining a garage with. Marine ply is waaaay over the top, unless you have major water issues.

He isn't lining the garage temporarly so long term marine grade is going to last better and wont deteriorate like standard ply will

EgliHonda
2nd December 2009, 07:11
Quick, make a claim under the 'leaky homes' fiasco...
:done:

FROSTY
2nd December 2009, 07:13
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have to re-think this then. Will take it off, lay it flat with a weight on it (upturned bike lift springs to mind) and leave it a while whilst I put building paper agains the walls. I'll seal the MDF and put it back up.

What a ball-ache. Would've been better to just buy plywood.

Thanks again.
sorry bro--usually once it swells up thats the wayu it stays

Swoop
2nd December 2009, 07:17
He isn't lining the garage temporarly so long term marine grade is going to last better and wont deteriorate like standard ply will

Construction ply is used quite happily in all manner of situations which are far worse than a garage lining, without issues.

BMWST?
2nd December 2009, 07:30
you need to leave a 2 or 3 mm gap between the sheets too not butt them tight,this allows for said movement and the same goes for ply.Marine grade ply is often used as another term for h3 treated ply.Untreated should be fine unless the bottom is going to get wet now and then

EgliHonda
2nd December 2009, 07:36
Here's a tip, when finished paint the lining white, it really makes a difference to the light levels. I have an insulated and lined 6x9m man-shed and the white walls and light grey painted floor means I only need 8 normal incandescant lamps to give adequate working light.

Losing that effect as I nail bike parts and girly posters to the walls though..

PrincessBandit
2nd December 2009, 12:14
Sorry, I misread the title - I was going to say surely MDU, like any man, shrinks in the cold.....

Molly
2nd December 2009, 19:18
Again, thanks.

Arse. Balls. Bollocks. Took me a whole bloody weekend to put that up too. Right neat job it was.

: pissed-off smilie for bloke who's got to re-do his garage :

kwaka_crasher
3rd December 2009, 17:42
Someone's been watching too many episodes of changing rooms. Did you put some glitter on the MDF to class it up? Perhaps stick some cut out shapes on it and spray pain over them for create a silhouette?

Why the fuck anyone would line a garage anyway escapes me, covering all those ready built flush shelves (aka nogs).

kwaka_crasher
3rd December 2009, 17:43
you need to leave a 2 or 3 mm gap between the sheets too not butt them tight,this allows for said movement and the same goes for ply.Marine grade ply is often used as another term for h3 treated ply.Untreated should be fine unless the bottom is going to get wet now and thenMarine ply is not treated.

Molly
3rd December 2009, 17:44
Oh, ffs...

My garage. My money. My fuck up. My business.

Besides, a lined garage just looks more finished.

vifferman
3rd December 2009, 18:02
Will take it off, lay it flat with a weight on it (upturned bike lift springs to mind) and leave it a while whilst I put building paper agains the walls. I'll seal the MDF and put it back up.
Now that I think about it, the MDF will be fine.
My sister-in-law and her husband have got MDF lining their gargre, and it looks fine - quite smart in fact. All they've done is give it a coat of polyurethane.
It looks so good in fact that my wife's been on at me to line our gargre the same, but I've got a handy excuse to keep putting it off: the damned roof leaks. Plus there's so much junk stacked against the walls that I can't get at them. Need to put some of it on TardMe or summat first.

kwaka_crasher
3rd December 2009, 18:39
Oh, ffs...

My garage. My money. My fuck up. My business.

You forgot "My lack of sense of humour".

More finished? Not without the glitter it isn't! :bleh:

AllanB
3rd December 2009, 18:51

And it is warmer in the winter for working on those projects. Plus keeps the damp away from tools and bikes.

Damp things are not always good......

SPman
3rd December 2009, 19:08
As long as it's sealed, it's fine. Probably a good idea to seal the back and edges before you put it up. Just remember - manufactured fibre boards (particle, customwood, non tempered hardboard) plus moisture (water, steam, high humidity) equals "oh fuck!" moment.

dangerous
3rd December 2009, 19:26

Arse. as a Senior architectural building technician supervisor (chippy) the cuzzy board will be fine, the issue is with the lack of fixing.
Studs should be at a MAX spacing of 600mm and dwangs MAX spacing of 800mm for 9mm MDF
AND glue the MDF nailing it off at 150centers.
If your garage is damp and or insulated then sealing the mdf BOTH sides and all edges will be a good thing.

at over $200 a sheet... I dont think so.

This is the south Island... its a dwang :Punk:
correct re ply.

T.W.R
3rd December 2009, 19:28
at over $200 a sheet... I dont think so.

you're just a tight bastard :bleh:

SPman
3rd December 2009, 19:52
This is the south Island... its a dwang :Punk:

Took me a while to get around that when I lived down there - dwangs and cribs - its a bach, fer christ sake!

Molly
3rd December 2009, 20:17
Took me a while to get around that when I lived down there - dwangs and cribs - its a bach, fer christ sake!

Naaa. You've got that wrong mate. It's Bloods and Cribs...

Cheers Dangerous. Cheers y'all.