PDA

View Full Version : North Island Mini Road Race Series

Skunk
1st December 2009, 22:28
Based largely on an idea of NSR143's... we present:

A 4 round North Island Mini Road Race Series 2010.
Two races at nominated normal meetings. Details to be finalised but so far:

Round 1: 6th March at Taumarunui.
Round 2: 3rd April (Scooterazzi Easter Meet).
Round 3: TBA - Roys Hill
Round 4: TBA - Mt Wellington.

Format - One sprint race and one longer race at each round.

Entry consists of just putting your hand up to say you are in the series on the day and then racing.

Any updates will be posted HERE. :soon:

Kendog
2nd December 2009, 09:58
Great idea.
Might try to make each of these.

woodyracer
2nd December 2009, 12:36
:niceone:fantastic idea!! ill be at all of them

So its abit of a "bucket" nationals then, it would be good to source some sponsorship for prizes. -Max

SHELRACING
2nd December 2009, 18:30
Wot a bloody great idea. :2thumbsup

We'd be interested, give us a chance to try a couple of new tracks.

Rick 52
2nd December 2009, 18:45
Great Idea I'm up for it

UNSTABLE
2nd December 2009, 18:52
Sounds good to me, I was planning on racing most of those anyway...

Game on!!! me and the green machine will be ready:scooter:

Buckets4Me
2nd December 2009, 19:02
Wot a bloody great idea. :2thumbsup

We'd be interested, give us a chance to try a couple of new tracks.

can I crash at your place on th 6th march ???

great idear :jerry:

I may even make it to one or 2 races :shutup: (at least one)

Mudflaps
2nd December 2009, 19:09
Yahoo!! Can't make the Easter meet (had to be the closest one to home I can't go to eh!!) but will try and make the rest! Awesome!!

Trophies? 1 or 2 grades?

richban
2nd December 2009, 19:42
Nice work sounds great. I will try and make them all.

Pumba
2nd December 2009, 19:48
(at least one)

Shurly doing the one in your in your home town doesnt count:shutup:

I see the merits in the idea, will see how the $ go closer to the time and with a few more details

Buckets4Me
2nd December 2009, 20:07
Shurly doing the one in your in your home town doesnt count:shutup:

I see the merits in the idea, will see how the $ go closer to the time and with a few more details

I know how the $ are going at my house

4xBoys and christmass coming guess that means the only one I have a chance of making dosent count :laugh:

SHELRACING
3rd December 2009, 11:55
can I crash at your place on th 6th march ???

great idear :jerry:

I may even make it to one or 2 races :shutup: (at least one)

I thought you crashed just about every time you got on the bike, why should my place be any different ??.
:laugh::rofl::rofl::laugh:

Of course you're welcome any time. However we are moving house, a bit further out of town. Still have plenty of room tho. :niceone:

Muzzab
3rd December 2009, 12:35
I know how the $ are going at my house

4xBoys and christmass coming guess that means the only one I have a chance of making dosent count :laugh:

Mate, similiar .... 2xBoys + 2xGirls + Christmas + 3xBirthdays in Dec :shit:

Schrgd
3rd December 2009, 21:03
Great idea!!

I'm sure there are heaps that are keen, maybe hire/borrow a big ass trailer or truck to get more bikes down to (or up to) some of the far away races to cut costs for those of us with limited funds!?!?!

Just a thought.

Would be great to get some experience on other tracks. See if any are as good as Mt Welly (only kidding, don't go all tiger wife on me lol):jerry::jerry:

Sounds Awesome

woodyracer
3rd December 2009, 21:26
Great idea!!

I'm sure there are heaps that are keen, maybe hire/borrow a big ass trailer or truck to get more bikes down to (or up to) some of the far away races to cut costs for those of us with limited funds!?!?!

Just a thought.

Would be great to get some experience on other tracks. See if any are as good as Mt Welly (only kidding, don't go all tiger wife on me lol):jerry::jerry:

Sounds Awesome

come to royshill, its only 5 hours away:laugh: but seriously you guys need to try a proper gokart track, you dont know what your missing out on. There's plenty of people going from auckland, try hitch a ride.

Schrgd
4th December 2009, 12:07
come to royshill, its only 5 hours away:laugh: but seriously you guys need to try a proper gokart track, you dont know what your missing out on. There's plenty of people going from auckland, try hitch a ride.

If Mt wellington isn't a "proper" gokart track I can't wait to go to royshill, So does that mean most of nz's 4 wheel talent(auckland based anyway) Learn't on an improper gokart track.:doh::Offtopic:

woodyracer
4th December 2009, 17:39
If Mt wellington isn't a "proper" gokart track I can't wait to go to royshill, So does that mean most of nz's 4 wheel talent(auckland based anyway) Learn't on an improper gokart track.:doh::Offtopic:

no, most gokarts use ROSEBANK raceway...its a hell of alot better, mt wellignton isnt used for big races.

Dont get me wrong, mt wellignton is a great track, but royshill is just simply better....and before that guy ruined it we could practice there at mt welly during the week. The mt wellington kart club seems to be quite nice to bucketeers which is good.

Skunk
4th December 2009, 17:45
no, most gokarts use ROSEBANK raceway...its a hell of alot better, mt wellignton isnt used for big races.

Dont get me wrong, mt wellignton is a great track, but royshill is just simply better....and before that guy ruined it we could practice there at mt welly during the week. The mt wellington kart club seems to be quite nice to bucketeers which is good.
Having raced at Roys Hill and Kaitoke I'd say Kaitoke is even better. Roys Hill is fun though (I go there whenever I can). I'm sure every track has it's appeal - except Waipawa.

woodyracer
4th December 2009, 18:02
Having raced at Roys Hill and Kaitoke I'd say Kaitoke is even better. Roys Hill is fun though (I go there whenever I can). I'm sure every track has it's appeal - except Waipawa.

haha waipawa may be crap, but at least its free :laugh: {if thats an atraction} is someone mows the lawns there could be some over taking :eek:

from what ive seen {picts,video's} kaitoke has bigger straights, taumaranui has a huge straight and i dont know why we dont race there more often, good track,camping, not many people use it ect......

F5 Dave
4th December 2009, 22:13
only Blenheim is a better track than Kaitoke.

Tauramanui is a simple track, the straight isn't that long & it is a bit crap for passing. However it does have an awesome flow & a complexity of the sweeper that will not be learnt on the first visit & makes it a supremely satisfying track to ride.

Mt wgtn is complex, but as a rider's track it's only redeeming feature is the sweeper. The bumps infield have degraded many lines.

Roy's hill is spent mainly on yer side, but to be honest I haven't done that many laps & personally it has stopped me road riding, racing or riding dirtbikes for way too many months to be fond of it.

Waipara I raced at once. I won the first race & didn't stop the bike so I could roll it up the ramp & drove off.

Carrs road is nothing special. Sheriffs road is good fun, but watch out when it is wet.

I won't include indoor kart tracks. . .

woodyracer
4th December 2009, 22:29
tauamaranui is great, i used to race pockets there all the time...... the angled up hill corner is fun, but i could imagine its fuinner on a bucket.

Royshill is very much my favourite going clockwise,

Mt wellington is very technical, it takes ages to get your lines right, still alot of fun even though its abit bumpy. Im looking foward to trying kaitoke some time, what gear are you guys on the straight there? have you recorded your speed on the straight?

-max

F5 Dave
4th December 2009, 22:33
. . . what gear are you guys on the straight there? . . .
3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th.:mellow:

Skunk
5th December 2009, 21:31
3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th.:mellow:
Yep - good answer... :lol:

Shorty_925
7th December 2009, 15:04

Agree. Who organised that meeting down there years ago?

F5 Dave
7th December 2009, 17:01
Marty Wood, a local. He's more interested in Stevie's racing so the scene has died off there. + the caretaker has literally died so I'm not sure if the track is still viable, maybe a local will pip in.

jasonu
8th December 2009, 13:49
....and before that guy ruined it we could practice there at mt welly during the week.

What happened there???

thecougar 0
8th December 2009, 13:55
....and before that guy ruined it we could practice there at mt welly during the week.

What happened there???

yea, i wouldn't mind that being sorted out-thought whoever had caused the drama was supposed to fix it?
would be great to take a half day at work, and go down for a blast-especially on a day like today!!!
(followed by some beers and bbq-in no particular order :scooter:)

Kickaha
8th December 2009, 14:36
Marty Wood, a local. He's more interested in Stevie's racing so the scene has died off there. + the caretaker has literally died so I'm not sure if the track is still viable, maybe a local will pip in.

Working on it, emailed the club Pres yesterday and he is taking it to the Kart club committees next meeting

We would have all forgotten what it like to race on Kart tracks down here:yes:

woodyracer
8th December 2009, 15:16

What happened there???

all we know is some guy {forgot name} got a key to mt wellington kart club and your only allowed one key to one person but he trurns up with a bunch of people, then the karters see this and tell the commitee.

Feel free to correct me if im wrong on some details. You used to be able to buy a mt wellington kart club key for $190 and then you could practice all you want :shit: ---Those were the good old days....:bye:

thecougar 0
8th December 2009, 16:04
[QUOTE=woodyracer;1129558105]all we know is some guy {forgot name} got a key to mt wellington kart club and your only allowed one key to one person but he trurns up with a bunch of people, then the karters see this and tell the commitee.

I think the main problem was that with the bunch of other people not signing the indemnity forms-if someone had hurt themselves, then the people who're in charge of the track could've been in a world of shit.

F5 Dave
8th December 2009, 16:06
Working on it, emailed the club Pres yesterday and he is taking it to the Kart club committees next meeting

We would have all forgotten what it like to race on Kart tracks down here:yes:

With enough notice & the right day (ideally 2 days) I think team Welly would bring over a reasonable contingent.

Wooohoo!!:woohoo:

Kickaha
8th December 2009, 16:43
With enough notice & the right day (ideally 2 days) I think team Welly would bring over a reasonable contingent.

I will have to put it to the Bucket committee down here, at present the Kart club pres has said he sees no reason why not but he has to go to their committee to be approved

If it did go ahead I was thinking sometime Feb/March/April while there's not much other racing on down here

Pumba
8th December 2009, 17:51
I think the main problem was that with the bunch of other people not signing the indemnity forms-if someone had hurt themselves, then the people who're in charge of the track could've been in a world of shit.

Yep its not that every person using has to have there own key but they do have to sign the indemnidy forms and pay the fee.

There was also the issue of whoever it was took larger road bikes out on to the track. A big no no

fi5hy
8th December 2009, 18:17
I will have to put it to the Bucket committee down here, at present the Kart club pres has said he sees no reason why not but he has to go to their committee to be approved

If it did go ahead I was thinking sometime Feb/March/April while there's not much other racing on down here

You could tell him that (some) of the Wellington crew are members of Kart Sport Wellington

Skunk
8th December 2009, 18:30
Not April! There's the Easter Two Day meeting at Kaitoke... Come and learn how to race kart tracks again.

Kickaha
8th December 2009, 19:39
Are the meetings at Kaitoke run under a MNZ permit and do all the Welly bucket guys likely to come have MNZ licences?

Shorty_925
8th December 2009, 20:56
Are the meetings at Kaitoke run under a MNZ permit and do all the Welly bucket guys likely to come have MNZ licences?

Offering day licences solve that problem?

As long as theres the option of winning another doz double browns, it'll make the trip worth it! :rofl:

Skunk
8th December 2009, 21:13
Several Welly bucket racers do have MNZ licenses - as it makes it easy at the other tracks. One event licenses cover that anyway.

Trudes
9th December 2009, 06:13

Yep we'd be in for that!

ajturbo
13th December 2009, 21:45

Tauramanui is a simple track, the straight isn't that long & it is a bit crap for passing. However it does have an awesome flow & a complexity of the sweeper that will not be learnt on the first visit & makes it a supremely satisfying track to ride.

Mt wgtn is complex, but as a rider's track it's only redeeming feature is the sweeper. The bumps infield have degraded many lines.

Roy's hill is spent mainly on yer side, but to be honest I haven't done that many laps & personally it has stopped me road riding, racing or riding dirtbikes for way too many months to be fond of it.

Waipara I raced at once. I won the first race & didn't stop the bike so I could roll it up the ramp & drove off.

Carrs road is nothing special. Sheriffs road is good fun, but watch out when it is wet.

I won't include indoor kart tracks. . .
the nelson track was great... having crashed on EVERY corner and most of the straights at one time ... and in some races... more than once.. it is very technical (for me)... short straights... LOTS of turns and a wire fence that WILL stop you if you loose your front brakes.....

is there any racing there now????

F5 Dave
14th December 2009, 08:20
I believe they lost the use of that track.

woodyracer
15th December 2009, 22:26
is there different clases for the championship?, also it would be good to get sponsorship like they do down south, but i know it can be hard. Thanks

ajturbo
16th December 2009, 05:08
I believe they lost the use of that track.
thats a bugger

Bert
17th January 2010, 17:49
So is this all go then ?????

Just trying to plan my racing year with wifey and sorting out work commitments...

Have we dates for Roys Hill & Auckland ?

andrew a
19th January 2010, 14:04
I would like to join in but will only do the Sunday races. If they were all Sunday I would probibly do them all.

NSR143
22nd January 2010, 18:46
So is this all go then ?????

Just trying to plan my racing year with wifey and sorting out work commitments...

Have we dates for Roys Hill & Auckland ?

Not yet but will post them here as soon as I can. just checking for conflicts..which there will be regardless i imagine!

Henk
22nd January 2010, 19:36
You are never going to avoid all the conflicts. Best to pick some dates that suit the organising clubs and run with them.

woodyracer
3rd February 2010, 19:50
Is anyone doing all the rounds??, i keen to do royshill and mt wellington, but cant do the others, hopefully i can do taumaranui, the bike should have new tires and stuff by then.

ajturbo
3rd February 2010, 20:42
depending on money, i hope to get to Taumarunui.. and easter....

NSR143
3rd February 2010, 20:43
Is anyone doing all the rounds??, i keen to do royshill and mt wellington, but cant do the others, hopefully i can do taumaranui, the bike should have new tires and stuff by then.

my plan was to try for all, that way i stand a chance of getting reasonable points....

Henk
3rd February 2010, 20:45
Going to try and hit them all for the same reason. And for some pleasant company on the weekends. Won't be sure until all the dates are confirmed though.

woodyracer
3rd February 2010, 20:47
Going to try and hit them all for the same reason. And for some pleasant company on the weekends. Won't be sure until all the dates are confirmed though.

if you and not so rat bucket want a lift to the hawkes bay your welcome to come with us.

Damien_Toman
3rd February 2010, 21:16
Skunk and NSR143, count me in for the series. Great initiative.

NOID
4th February 2010, 09:07
count me in. ill do all the rounds apart from auckland.

woodyracer
4th February 2010, 15:21
count me in. ill do all the rounds apart from auckland.

do auckland noid mt wellignton is good good track, probualy has the most riders aswel,

NOID
5th February 2010, 09:08
Yes it will have the most riders, that means more likely to further down the points board. lol

Buckets4Me
5th February 2010, 19:18
Yes it will have the most riders, that means more likely to further down the points board. lol

I'll do the auckland one for you
(just dont expect any points)

Henk
5th February 2010, 20:09
There was talk of no points at the home round. Maybe we could arrange some complicated system for having a ring in at one of the away rounds for people who can't make one of the rounds.

woodyracer
5th February 2010, 20:18
:cool:
There was talk of no points at the home round. Maybe we could arrange some complicated system for having a ring in at one of the away rounds for people who can't make one of the rounds.

if so i have first on dibs tim fraser!! :woohoo: If fell like winning this

Henk
5th February 2010, 20:27
I was taking the piss. This will be complex enough as it is.

woodyracer
5th February 2010, 20:30
I was taking the piss. This will be complex enough as it is.

i know, i was being sarcastic........, should be fairly simple if we leave the ring-ins out......

Henk
8th February 2010, 16:22
OK so if this happens the first round is about 4 weeks away.
Are we all go on this or is it going to slide off into obscurity as a good idea that never happened.
If we are go I'll look after collating the results if someone can explain to me how they are going to work.
I'd suggest that a race or two are nominated at each round and standard MNZ points (Must dig out rule book) given to anyone that completes three rounds, all rounds count and anyone that doesn't complete at least three rounds gets removed from the results before the points are dished out. So if you come 24th you may get bumped to 16th if there are lots that only do one or two rounds.
I'm making this up as I go along so if this is a starter and anyone has strenuous objections now would be a good time.
It would be nice to get at least the scoring nailed down in the next couple of weeks so that we know what the rules are going to be before the whole thing kicks off even if the final two dates aren't set.

Kendog
8th February 2010, 16:54
I am keen to race in this.
The three rounds for points idea is interesting, it gets my vote.

ajturbo
8th February 2010, 18:31
Henk.......

you think too much

Kendog
8th February 2010, 19:01
Henk.......

you think too much
If nobody thinks about it, it would never happen.

woodyracer
8th February 2010, 19:06
Henk.......

you think too much

id rather think too much, than not think at all.......

Damien_Toman
8th February 2010, 19:06
...I'd suggest that a race or two are nominated at each round and standard MNZ points (Must dig out rule book) given to anyone that completes three rounds, all rounds count and anyone that doesn't complete at least three rounds gets removed from the results before the points are dished out. So if you come 24th you may get bumped to 16th if there are lots that only do one or two rounds.

I think that is a good points approach that encourages riders to visit other tracks. My vote too.

Str8 Jacket
8th February 2010, 19:11
Hey Henk I get where you're coming from but that'd put the likes of myslef and Malcolm out as we can only afford to do 2 rounds. I know that there were quite a few at Roys Hill this weekend just been that can only make 2 rounds and even then at a push.... Alot of us race in Club racing and are doing the Nat's this month too....

Not that I would ever be competitive in the points anyway!! :laugh:

Henk
8th February 2010, 19:17
OK then.
To get max points you'll have to do all four rounds and to get any series points at all you'll have to do three.
since the Taumaranui and Kaitoke rounds are the only ones confirmed could someone from one (or both) let me know how many races they can include.
Failing that someone who was behind this to start with before I hijack the whole thing.(Something I'm not really that keen on)

Henk
8th February 2010, 19:21
Hey Henk I get where you're coming from but that'd put the likes of myslef and Malcolm out as we can only afford to do 2 rounds. I know that there were quite a few at Roys Hill this weekend just been that can only make 2 rounds and even then at a push.... Alot of us race in Club racing and are doing the Nat's this month too....

Not that I would ever be competitive in the points anyway!! :laugh:

I'm OK with two races to get any points if everyone else is. Figured that if you don't do at least three chances of getting a decent series result are pretty slim and didn't want to penalise people that made the effort to get to all or most of the rounds at the cost of some seriously fast local that only does one. Maybe a poll is in order.

Planning on trying to get to all rounds even though I won't figure in the final results.

Str8 Jacket
8th February 2010, 19:22
Im not sure why? Why have a minimum of 3 rounds or a minimum at all? In club racing if you dont race, you dont get points. What if only a handful of people take it up or bikes get destroyed early on. That is not encouraging people at all, IMO.

Henk
8th February 2010, 19:28
Just figured that there would be people that were going to travel that wouldn't make the point scoring positions if the races that count for this was an open to all standard race that got soundly beaten by locals who don't bother going to any away rounds.
Can make it an all rounds count affair but was trying to avoid the situation that occurs on the enduro circuit where as the season goes on the numbers can fall by up to half. Open to suggestions or being completely ignored.
If anybody has this under control I'd quite welcome a "Pull your head in and bugger off" right about now.

Str8 Jacket
8th February 2010, 19:42
Just figured that there would be people that were going to travel that wouldn't make the point scoring positions if the races that count for this was an open to all standard race that got soundly beaten by locals who don't bother going to any away rounds.
Can make it an all rounds count affair but was trying to avoid the situation that occurs on the enduro circuit where as the season goes on the numbers can fall by up to half. Open to suggestions or being completely ignored.
If anybody has this under control I'd quite welcome a "Pull your head in and bugger off" right about now.
Dont get me wrong, people are probably all for it in which case I am the one who needs to pull my head in. I think that from a point scoring perspective that it may get messy and hard to control though. Also it may be counter productive if people have injured themselves or destroyed engines early on and subsequently can only enter 2 rounds, they may not bother because of it...
There are 2 sides to every coin and this is only my opinion. Someone needs to be thinking and I am with AJ - Bags not me!! (thinking that is)

Skunk
8th February 2010, 20:17
This is happening. I thought that was clear from the first post. Points are for each round. No minimum number of rounds. Please stop reinventing the series.

Henk
8th February 2010, 21:28
Head pulled in. Wasn't sure what was happening.

NSR143
8th February 2010, 21:38
hi guys, I am with Skunk on this, 4 rounds and 4 chances at points.. lets not complicate matters.... Roll on Taumarunui !!

Henk
9th February 2010, 18:32
See you there then. Still prepared to collate the results if required.

Str8 Jacket
9th February 2010, 18:33
hi guys, I am with Skunk on this, 4 rounds and 4 chances at points.. lets not complicate matters.... Roll on Taumarunui !!

I soo wish we could be there!!

skid
2nd April 2010, 17:02
Is there a timetable for tomorrow's event somewhere? Like when's kickoff and scrutineering etc...

Kendog
2nd April 2010, 17:26
Is there a timetable for tomorrow's event somewhere? Like when's kickoff and scrutineering etc...
Have a look at this (http://bucketracing.co.nz/downloads/Easter_Programme.pdf).
Times may vary a little.

skid
2nd April 2010, 18:54
Cheers. I have a bit to do at work first but I'll make it.