PDA

View Full Version : Wgn to Ch ANZAC Weekend

Toddy
27th April 2005, 22:08
Took the opportunity to ride the Volusia down to Christchurch for the ANZAC weekend.

Caught the 0130 Interislander on Saturday morning, returning on the 2130 on Monday night. First time I have taken a bike across on the ferry. Not surprisingly mine was the only bike on the south bound transit. Of interest was the poor set up for bikes both at Wellington and Picton Interislander terminal. There is no protection from the elements while waiting to board. Why doesn't Toll provide a shelter, just an over sized bus shelter would do the trick. I would hate to be waiting there in pouring rain.

Fortunately the weather was fine for both legs, with only very cold fog to put up with in the early hours from Picton to Blenheim.

South bound I turned off at Kaikoura and took State Highway 70 via Culverton to Chritchurch. Great road, for the bike; little traffic, plenty of corners. Unfortunately spoilt by unmarked road repairs with patches of loose metal. :argh:

The weather in Christchurch was terrible after the storm went through on Saturday night, with rain continuing into Monday. Therefore I was expecting poor weather for the trip home. However, as I left mid afternoon for the return trip the skies cleared and experienced a dry trip north. The weather still looked mean in the hills so chose to go directly up State Highway one.

In Picton caught up with two guys from the Hawkes Bay, who had gone to Bluff oyster festival two up on a Honda ST. They had some good tales to tell, especially riding in snow and hail as they passed through Dunedin. Mind you the pillion was obviously suffering from the kms they had covered.

Great trip. :ride:

LB
28th April 2005, 05:44
You sound like you managed to pick the best weather of the w/end for your ride - my bikes didn't get out of the gargre all w/end.

I was over SH70 (Inland Kaikoura road) a couple of weeks ago, and yep there's odd bits of gravel here and there. Lovely road though, I'd not done it the Kaikoura-Culverden direction before, it's neat riding towards the mountains.