PDA

View Full Version : My story so far

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 18:11
So here I am 8 months into biking and I thought I would share my adventures.

First bike: 2001 RGV150S.
So I decided to sell my cage and get a bike. Exciting! I sold the car off, and started looking for a bike. I wanted something reasonably cheap, with a little bit of power too. I decided on a RGV150 due to the price and the handy little learner features (gear indicator, fuel indicator etc). This is great, First day I get it home, Up and down my street. Next morning – can’t wait to get on this again, 6am down at the local park car park. I was going great practicing my braking and accelerating, all was going extremely well until I managed to give it a little bit too much gas and ended up doing a wheelie along the car park, I damn near shat myself, Now its time for a break and breakfast.

Next day I build up the courage to go down the motorway, now that sure was an interesting experience in rush hour Auckland traffic. Anyway needless to say I’m still here so it wasn’t that bad.

Weeks passed as I gathered my biking skills. Feeling rather (over)confident in my abilities I decided to see how well the bike went on a straight down the motorway, Got up to a decent speed, feeling quite happy, started to slow down again and then the back wheel locked up, my life flashed before my eyes. I managed to keep it upright and pulled over to the side of the motorway, kicked it over and away we go, I still to this day have no idea what happened.

Couple of weeks later my bike was getting harder and harder to start – me being such a newbie didn’t think anything of it. So here I was on my way home from Uni, just getting on the motorway and BANG! There goes the fucking back wheel again, I manage to keep it up again, pull over but this time there was no kicking it over. Bugger! To cut a long story short, Took it in to the bike shop, got a quote for $900 and my engine in bits with little pieces of piston all through it. I passed on the rebuild cost and decided to hunt for a new engine.

New Chapter: 1990 CBR250R

So while my little RGV was out of commission I decided to get a new bike. I managed to get a well priced CBR250R. This thing is great, nice and quick and great to ride. I have had lots of fun on it, although not without its problems as well, I took it in to have a service costing $500, where they did a whole lot of things and cleaned the carbs, it ran like a new bike. Only problem was the next day it stopped on the side of the bloody motorway, called the bike shop up, they came and picked it up and then said there was water in the fuel tank, no charge, excellent. Got it back and it was running fine again, until it stopped again on the motorway, (as a side note this involved me sleeping on the side of the motorway next to my bike until someone could come and help me – I had just finished working a graveyard shift and was bloody tired), this time the bike shop said the carbs were dirty and there was rust in my tank causing this (which I have had checked out and apparently there isn’t any rust), oh well, A small charge later and I was good to go (not to mention the ignition that was now not working after I got it back from the shop). So off I go again into the world, now not much happened for a couple of months.

Back to the RGV.

So I managed to find a replacement engine, spent a day at my mates house and awesome she is now up and running again. –as a side note I now hate riding the RGV as I find it far too small for me (I weigh more than the bike, lol)

Disaster strikes.

Cruising down the motorway on the way to work, ground a bit wet, changing lanes and, Weeeeeeeeee, the front drops out from under me. Bugger, I knew I should have worn my bike pants rather than my jeans. Needless to say, I landed on my knees (just because I didn’t have protection on them) and quickly rolled over to my back, it was a rather relaxing experience as a whole, no panic, nice and slow. Anyway, managed to stop the motorway, and I felt very popular as I can imagine I was the talk of everybody on the motorway behind me for the day. Hobbled around for a few days in pain, and then was back to my usual self. – Went down to get some good pants off Quasi, wore them on the way back up and I felt like jumping off the bike, I knew I was going to be safe. –I have never worn jeans on the bike since – and highly recommend Quasi’s gear. Bike wasn’t too badly damaged and managed to ride it without a gear change lever for a while.

Repairs

I managed to get my hands on some parts over the last month. Ignition is now fixed, as is fuel cap, and seat lock. New gear change lever fitted and new clutch/brake lever set. Got someone to come and change my fork seals and the forks are bent (creased), great. Have now ordered some new (used) forks, lhs/rhs engine covers (as the old dont look to good from the slide), and a new underseat plastic (as the indicators got ripped out and snapped the plastic from a separate incident which I may explain later if i feel like it)

RGV

Managed to almost crash the RGV on the motorway, hence my fore mentioned hate of the bike, it just really doesn’t like the wet and wind with me on. -love it as a little zip around bike in the dry at town speeds.

Mission

I have managed to get three of my other mates to get a bike since I started riding, and have one more coming very soon – with the purchase of my RGV J I enjoy riding greatly and despite all my negative experiences so far plan to continue for many years.

The Everlasting
4th December 2009, 19:17
Good on ya for keeping your head up,and still riding your bikes..

Did the rear wheel seize up because the engine stopped or.?

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 19:31
Good on ya for keeping your head up,and still riding your bikes..

Did the rear wheel seize up because the engine stopped or.?

Which time are you talking about? lol. I have had the back wheel lock on me bout 3 times so far.

The time on the motorway giving it a good go, not sure exactly what happened and why it locked, the engine just seemed to dye but i managed to grab the clutch in time to stop anything else bad happening.

The time i was getting on to the on ramp was due to the engine seizing, (piston was in tiny little pieces)

And the final time (which i didnt mention in my final post) - was when I was stupid but thought i was being smart attaching a backpack to the rear seat of my CBR and it wasnt attached as well as it should have been, then it got sucked under the rear wheel, Fishtailing all the way down the motorway from 100kph to 0 was not a friendly experience :s, even harder trying to pick up a motorbike and drag it onto the side of the motorway (seeing as i didnt notice exactly what happened and couldnt see the bag - so was unable to roll it), I really had no idea what happened as the clutch obviously didnt stop it from locking

The Everlasting
4th December 2009, 20:05
Which time are you talking about? lol. I have had the back wheel lock on me bout 3 times so far.

The time on the motorway giving it a good go, not sure exactly what happened and why it locked, the engine just seemed to dye but i managed to grab the clutch in time to stop anything else bad happening.

The time i was getting on to the on ramp was due to the engine seizing, (piston was in tiny little pieces)

And the final time (which i didnt mention in my final post) - was when I was stupid but thought i was being smart attaching a backpack to the rear seat of my CBR and it wasnt attached as well as it should have been, then it got sucked under the rear wheel, Fishtailing all the way down the motorway from 100kph to 0 was not a friendly experience :s, even harder trying to pick up a motorbike and drag it onto the side of the motorway (seeing as i didnt notice exactly what happened and couldnt see the bag - so was unable to roll it), I really had no idea what happened as the clutch obviously didnt stop it from locking

Sounds really scary,hope it never happens to me,I don't get on the motorways much anyways. :D

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 20:07
Yeah it was rather scary :s

I hope i dont have to experience it too many more times

stify
4th December 2009, 20:12
and we sit here and wonder why our acc costs go up an up an up....go do some track days....please

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 20:16
Haven't made a single claim to ACC. I am planning on track days, but i think controlling a bike from 100 to 0 with the back wheel completely locked and not coming off is not something that is going to be increasing ACC levies.

caseye
4th December 2009, 20:21
Hey man, did you stop on the southern heading north about Otara, I remember stopping for someone on a red CBR, they didn't know why it had stopped. I remember that the ignition had been wired and the guy/you telling me it'd just come back from the shop.
A bloody mazing! Small world if it was you, hope it's all going well now.

Laxi
not coming off is not something that is going to be increasing ACC levies.

was that 3 close calls and a bin in 8 mths???

caseye
and we sit here and wonder why our acc costs go up an up an up....go do some track days....please

Stiffy! hows the little one? We've bin missing ya at the SATNR mate.

Scotty595
The people you want to be blaming are the people who come off at 10-20kph and then spend 2 weeks off work on ACC, and yes I know of cases.

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 20:23
Hey man, did you stop on the southern heading north about Otara, I remember stopping for someone on a red CBR, they didn't know why it had stopped. I remember that the ignition had been wired and the guy/you telling me it'd just come back from the shop.
A bloody mazing! Small world if it was you, hope it's all going well now.

Yeah, that was definately me! lol. yeah all is going much much better now cheers, havent had a problem with the little bike after the bike shop did there job properly (finally)

stify
4th December 2009, 20:23
i think controlling a bike from 100 to 0 with the back wheel completely locked and not coming off is not something that is going to be increasing ACC levies.

controlling or just luck...I'm picking it was your lucky day

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 20:24
was that 3 close calls and a bin in 8 mths???

Yeah, It's been an interesting few months. Nothing major but yeah, That little RGV had a habit of locking the wheel randomly (gotta love 2 strokes :p)

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 20:26
controlling or just luck...I'm picking it was your lucky day

Maybe controlling, maybe luck, nobody will ever know. However I do specifically remember pulling the bike around with my weight (leaning left/right), pressure on the bars to control which way it was sliding, etc etc.

stify
4th December 2009, 20:27
Stiffy! hows the little one? We've bin missing ya at the SATNR mate.

heya my SATNR brutha...little one took his first steps today...is a happy boy an I be a proud daddy for sure, may pop up an see ya's in the next coupla weeks...giddy up

stify
4th December 2009, 20:29
Maybe controlling, maybe luck, nobody will ever know. However I do specifically remember pulling the bike around with my weight (leaning left/right), pressure on the bars to control which way it was sliding, etc etc.

maybe.....it was a lucky day for you and your family

avgas
4th December 2009, 20:30
Lifes a road buddy
ride it

Laxi
4th December 2009, 20:31
Cruising down the motorway on the way to work, ground a bit wet, changing lanes and, Weeeeeeeeee, the front drops out from under me.

this comment is the perfect example of having the wrong idea, front wheels dont just "drop" out from under you (unless someone losened ya wheel) and until you can see what caused it you cant learn from it:no:

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 20:32
maybe.....it was a lucky day for you and your family

Indeed it was

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 20:34
Lifes a road buddy
ride it

I plan to :Punk:

caseye
4th December 2009, 20:37
Will be looking forward to that Stiffy.

Scotty595 you seemed to have it all under control when I rolled in.
Lock ups three times in a few months and staying upright each time, I'd say you've learned something about weight shifting and unresponsive bike control, what the boys are trying to say is if there was no obvious cause then it had to be something you have done, ie the front wheel dropping out, likely it slipped out, but if you dont know on what or how then you perhaps should've been paying more attention.
it's not that they don't like ya it's just tha they dont want another "goodbye friend thread"

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 20:39
this comment is the perfect example of having the wrong idea, front wheels dont just "drop" out from under you (unless someone losened ya wheel) and until you can see what caused it you cant learn from it:no:

If i look back on it, I would put it down to wet roads, oil on the road (which the cop said he found on the road around the place where it all started, in a nice friendly letter stating no charges will be laid), changing lanes on this/over paint, and possibly my fork seal leaking (dont know if this would do it, but possibly due to the leaking fluid the fork dropped easier or something causing sideways force)

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 20:42
Will be looking forward to that Stiffy.

Scotty595 you seemed to have it all under control when I rolled in.
Lock ups three times in a few months and staying upright each time, I'd say you've learned something about weight shifting and unresponsive bike control, what the boys are trying to say is if there was no obvious cause then it had to be something you have done, ie the front wheel dropping out, likely it slipped out, but if you dont know on what or how then you perhaps should've been paying more attention.
it's not that they don't like ya it's just tha they dont want another "goodbye friend thread"

Yeah absoluetely mate. I have definately learned something each time it has happened.

I don't take offence easily so it's all good, don't think anyones trying to pick on me or anything. I don't particularly want my wife and daughter having to go through the goodbye thread either.

Laxi
4th December 2009, 20:45

cheers caseye! exactly right, bling sent

caseye
4th December 2009, 20:52
Scotty595 you are invited ( sounds posh doesn't it) to the SATNR ride next thursday at the Papakura Off Ramp BP Autobahn, gather 6 pm ride off 6.30-7pm ish depending on where the bloody hell jafar or others are.Always a good run, feel free to rock up and come riding, Stiffy will tell you shes a good run.

The Everlasting
4th December 2009, 20:55
Haven't made a single claim to ACC. I am planning on track days, but i think controlling a bike from 100 to 0 with the back wheel completely locked and not coming off is not something that is going to be increasing ACC levies.

Yeah,agreed...that was real lucky you managed to control it,you must be a fairly good rider!

Scotty595
4th December 2009, 20:55
Scotty595 you are invited ( sounds posh doesn't it) to the SATNR ride next thursday at the Papakura Off Ramp BP Autobahn, gather 6 pm ride off 6.30-7pm ish depending on where the bloody hell jafar or others are.Always a good run, feel free to rock up and come riding, Stiffy will tell you shes a good run.

Thanks for that. I think im working but will be looking out for times when I am not working (bloody shift work) and come along.

Cheers

breakaway
5th December 2009, 12:13
Wait, let me get this straight.

Your bike's rear wheel locked up on the motorway, and you stopped, started it back up and continued raping it until it ultimately happened again rather than taking it to a mechanic?

And then when after it happened 3 times you took it to the mechanic and got a huge repair bill? Whoulda thunk?

EnzoYug
5th December 2009, 17:14
So here I am 8 months into biking and I thought I would share my adventures.

First bike: 2001 RGV150S.
So I decided to sell my cage and get a bike.....

Hey bro, how's life! Stoked to hear you got a bike! It's Aidan from the 'hug - im running a nice Gixxer600 now and my missus rides a VTR250. Never thought you'd be one for a nasty two-stroke; you've got more guts than I figured!

Keep the shiny side up eh, don't end up like me bragging about my dozen-times down. :P

Scotty595
6th December 2009, 18:29
Wait, let me get this straight.

Your bike's rear wheel locked up on the motorway, and you stopped, started it back up and continued raping it until it ultimately happened again rather than taking it to a mechanic?

And then when after it happened 3 times you took it to the mechanic and got a huge repair bill? Whoulda thunk?

Not really. After it happened the first time, I had it checked over and everything looked fine. It then only happened once more (many months later) which is when the engine siezed.

Scotty595
6th December 2009, 18:38
Hey bro, how's life! Stoked to hear you got a bike! It's Aidan from the 'hug - im running a nice Gixxer600 now and my missus rides a VTR250. Never thought you'd be one for a nasty two-stroke; you've got more guts than I figured!

Keep the shiny side up eh, don't end up like me bragging about my dozen-times down. :P

Hey man, lifes good. Hows work goin? still there? I might see you there shortly again (have applied for a job in the business team) :p Yeah, Jack told me bout your Gixxer, sounds nice. My missus wants a CBR so I figure I might as well just give her mine when I upgrade (Thinking about a rs/rgv250 - I do like the 2 strokes - when they're running :p)

Will definately be trying to keep the shiny side up

We will have to go out for a ride sometime.

Scott