PDA

View Full Version : GoPro HD Hero helmet camera

SeppoDave
7th December 2009, 04:28
Hey guys

I just got the new HD Hero helmet camera and gave it a try yesterday. The improvement in video and audio quality over my last camera (an ATC3K) is HUGE! And watching it on Youtube in HD still isn't as good as the native resolution.

Love it. Can't wait for the next track day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jSFBGyq6sM
(Click HD)

Dave

hayd3n
7th December 2009, 06:27
nice vid love the quality

Taz
7th December 2009, 07:54
Nice. How much is it?

robertydog
7th December 2009, 08:24
Hey guys

I just got the new HD Hero helmet camera and gave it a try yesterday. The improvement in video and audio quality over my last camera (an ATC3K) is HUGE! And watching it on Youtube in HD still isn't as good as the native resolution.

(Click HD)

Dave

What sort of SD Card are you using?

steve_t
7th December 2009, 08:31
Sweet. They've really got the wind noise under control now. Was that mounted to the chin of your helmet?

centaurus
7th December 2009, 10:24
Did you find a good deal on the camera or you bought it at the list price from the shop? I've been looking at this model for a while now (since it was launched) but I can't afford over $570 or so for one.

SeppoDave
7th December 2009, 11:50
I actually got it from these guys in the US: https://pointofviewcameras.com/gopro-hd-helmet-hero.html

With the exchange rate at $NZ.74 to the US dollar, it was only $NZ405 + $28 shipping when I bought it. The rate is down to $0.72 now, which would make it around $NZ415 + shipping. Still way less than what the NZ guys are offering. I saw one on Trademe for $NZ550.

That price included a 4GB SD card, unfortunately Robertydog I don't recall which kind. However, about a week after the camera arrived, I got an email from the Pointofview guys that the card they shipped wasn't up to the task of the high-bitrate modes (720p/60fps, 960/30 or 1020/30) so they are sending me another one (which works) for free.

The video I posted above was captured in 720p/30fps, which still needs to be compressed to go on Youtube. The native resolution of the clip fills up my TV with no pixellation or distortion. Way better than the ATC3K!

Dave

robertydog
7th December 2009, 11:56
I actually got it from these guys in the US: https://pointofviewcameras.com/gopro-hd-helmet-hero.html

With the exchange rate at $NZ.74 to the US dollar, it was only $NZ405 + $28 shipping when I bought it. The rate is down to $0.72 now, which would make it around $NZ415 + shipping. Still way less than what the NZ guys are offering. I saw one on Trademe for $NZ550.

That price included a 4GB SD card, unfortunately Robertydog I don't recall which kind. However, about a week after the camera arrived, I got an email from the Pointofview guys that the card they shipped wasn't up to the task of the high-bitrate modes (720p/60fps, 960/30 or 1020/30) so they are sending me another one (which works) for free.

The video I posted above was captured in 720p/30fps, which still needs to be compressed to go on Youtube. The native resolution of the clip fills up my TV with no pixellation or distortion. Way better than the ATC3K!

Dave

Cheers.
Ive had my GoPro HD a week now. Im using a Kingston class 4, 16GB SD Card. They are saying that the class 4 should be the minimum Seems to be working ok. Still learning it. Great pic quality i reckon.

steve_t
7th December 2009, 13:20
Any of you GoPro guys had any issues with editing the video? Or do you have Macs? Read a link in a prev thread about PCs having issues with editing software. The Contour HD comes with its own software but the quality of Dave's video is amazing! A tough call. The Contour HD is a bit more compact looking too. Hmmm.... hard decision

FlangMasterJ
7th December 2009, 15:39
Racetech.co.nz was meant to notify me when they came in. I see they have them advertised on TradeMe already. :argh:

I think getting one Stateside would be the way to go.

SeppoDave
7th December 2009, 16:00
I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 on my PC (and not that strong of a PC either). The good thing about it is that the GoPro camera captures in .mp4 format, Vegas renders in .mp4 format, and Youtube prefers that format for HD uploads.

I'm only new to using the software, but I think it's the right tool for the job for what I'm using it for (posting HD videos on the net).

robertydog
7th December 2009, 16:24
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1129556418&postcount=10374

My first attempt.

steve_t
7th December 2009, 18:52
The ol' crossplane crank sounds horn! :sunny:
And good to see you're doing this on a closed road :2thumbsup

cave weta
7th December 2009, 20:28
Hey guys

(Click HD)

Dave

oh yes!- now that is an awesome vid- and an awesome bike - and riding!
love to see you come up behind some unsuspecting sports bike rider and blow him away!

Monstaman
7th December 2009, 20:51
We have the 5Mp 170 wide as well, great machine for everything, we use it kayaking, MTBing and all!

SeppoDave
8th December 2009, 04:35
Nice going Robertydog

That is really clear! What software do you use to render the file?

Monstaman
8th December 2009, 08:57
This is one I have done, first crack at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rwhUFK_BHk

FlangMasterJ
17th December 2009, 15:59
Is this Dick Smith SDHC card okay to use? http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4b29ac5901cd349e273fc0a87f3b06c1/Product/View/XG4908

Getting my HD Hero tomorrow. :2thumbsup

steve_t
17th December 2009, 16:12
It might be but after heaps of reading, I'd say it isn't worth the risk. I got a 16GB Kingston Class 4 SDHC card for about $64 and it's the one GoPro recommend and I can confirm that it works sweet. Definitely avoid Transcend class 6 and Adata class 6. Some have had issues with Sandisk Ultra II (but the specs for the GoPro HD do say class 4 minimum) and also problems with Verbatim cards. If you're keen on the DSE card, take your camera to the store and get them to chuck one in. The problem seems to be recording 1080p (r5) and the recording stopping after a few minutes (or sometimes seconds)
Hope that helps

Monstaman
17th December 2009, 19:22
Is this Dick Smith SDHC card okay to use? http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4b29ac5901cd349e273fc0a87f3b06c1/Product/View/XG4908

Getting my HD Hero tomorrow. :2thumbsup

Our one says 2GIG max, we tried 4 Gig and it would not accept it.

It has to be SD HC tho for sure.

zeRax
17th December 2009, 19:30
ya, got mine real early, promptly got an adata class 6 16gb, sigh.......

best be getting a kingston, useless fucks, good camera thou !

robertydog
17th December 2009, 20:45
I got a Kingston Class 4 SDHC card, and it works well with the GoPro HD. Best you use one as it appears not too many people are having success with any thing else.

Headbanger
18th December 2009, 01:30
Awesome video's, Looks to be an awesome camera.

I have to have one.

FlangMasterJ
19th December 2009, 18:46
Sweet, got my GoPro HD yesterday.

Quick question. Will I be able to remove the 3M adhesive mount from my helmet if I ever need too?

Is it better to just use the suction cup mount instead?

robertydog
19th December 2009, 20:17
I had one of the 3M mounts on the bike and removed it after about 36hrs. Was well and truly stuck on but did come off. Dont know what it would be like to get off if it was on the for quite some time.

FlangMasterJ
28th December 2009, 19:36
Okay guys I am having some issues with my GoPro HD. Got a Kingston 8GB class 4 card from my bro for Xmas. This card is recommended by gopro.

Tested the camera out a few days ago. Just a little random footage of my parents cat. Worked perfectly. I played it through my HDTV and was very impressed.

Today I thought I would get some proper onboard bike footage. I geared up and headed up the Karapoti. Switched the GoPro onto record and headed off. Half an hour later I stopped for a break and to check if the camera was still recording. NOPE! Pressed the shutter button again but it would just beep three times then do nothing. I was pissed. So rode all the way back to my car to check the manual. It didn't help. I tried powering the camera off and reformatting the card. It helped a little but the camera would only record for thirty seconds or so then stop.

I have read that alot of others have had similar issues with their GoPro's but mainly because of cheaper SD cards.

You guys had similar issues?

I'll be contacting GoPro for some help. Hopefully they release a patch to remedy these issues.

robertydog
28th December 2009, 20:22
Okay guys I am having some issues with my GoPro HD. Got a Kingston 8GB class 4 card from my bro for Xmas. This card is recommended by gopro.

Tested the camera out a few days ago. Just a little random footage of my parents cat. Worked perfectly. I played it through my HDTV and was very impressed.

Today I thought I would get some proper onboard bike footage. I geared up and headed up the Karapoti. Switched the GoPro onto record and headed off. Half an hour later I stopped for a break and to check if the camera was still recording. NOPE! Pressed the shutter button again but it would just beep three times then do nothing. I was pissed. So rode all the way back to my car to check the manual. It didn't help. I tried powering the camera off and reformatting the card. It helped a little but the camera would only record for thirty seconds or so then stop.

I have read that alot of others have had similar issues with their GoPro's but mainly because of cheaper SD cards.

You guys had similar issues?

I'll be contacting GoPro for some help. Hopefully they release a patch to remedy these issues.

I got the 16gb card and havnt had any problems.

FlangMasterJ
28th December 2009, 20:40
I got the 16gb card and havnt had any problems.

Just got this response on SupermotoJunkie.com

that exact thing!!!! happened to my buddy today. i was checking it out and fussed with it we figured out that it was a faulty card. I put my card in it to make sure and put his card in mine and mine got all fucked up. I swapped out the cards again and mine was fine and his was all junk. I tried to format the card and it wouldent let me i did it in the computer and then did it in the go pro and still the same shit. we returned the card and now its working perfect. Go return the card and everything should be just fine

So hopefully it's a faulty card.

I do have a 1GB card here with me that I'll try.

steve_t
28th December 2009, 20:57
My 16GB Kingston class 4 also works flawlessly. I wonder if your 8GB is a cheap knock-off bought off trademe?

FlangMasterJ
28th December 2009, 21:40
My 16GB Kingston class 4 also works flawlessly. I wonder if your 8GB is a cheap knock-off bought off trademe?

My Kingston was bought from Ascent.co.nz

I just tried an old Kingston 1GB 50x SD and it recorded a full eight minutes.

Looks like I'll be returning the 8GB.

steve_t
28th December 2009, 22:10
I'm just experimenting with using the head strap mount around the chin of my helmet but it means mounting the camera upside down. The info 'manual' with the camera says there should be a thingy in the menu to set the camera to upside down mode or if there isn't, to go to the website. I don't have the menu option nor can I find anything on the website. Anyone know how I can do this? Or should I just email GoPro support?

FlangMasterJ
28th December 2009, 22:15
The manual says if you do not see the 'UP' feature in the menu go to the gopro site and download the free patch.

robertydog
29th December 2009, 12:50
I'm just experimenting with using the head strap mount around the chin of my helmet but it means mounting the camera upside down. The info 'manual' with the camera says there should be a thingy in the menu to set the camera to upside down mode or if there isn't, to go to the website. I don't have the menu option nor can I find anything on the website. Anyone know how I can do this? Or should I just email GoPro support?

The upside down thingy isnt available at this stage, but is coming.

steve_t
29th December 2009, 13:32
Oh yup. Cheers. I googled it and found it will be in an upcoming firmware update. I guess I'll just have to turn the TV upside down when plugged in directly :whistle::2thumbsup

Grasshopperus
30th December 2009, 20:25
That youtube clip was awesome. Great quality and a nice ride too.

Dammit, xmas has just passed :(

SeppoDave
4th January 2010, 07:01
I swapped the road tyres for knobblies and went out to Maramarua yesterday. On the road, the 530's power seems quite manageable. But as a dirt bike, it's an ANIMAL and well above my skill level! As seen here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xrCjO9ogc4

I continue to be impressed with this Gopro HD. That last stack landed my helmet right on the camera, and as you can see it wasn't phased. It caught every grunt and moan didn't miss a frame. Not even any scratches on the case!

Grasshopperus
4th January 2010, 09:20
I swapped the road tyres for knobblies and went out to Maramarua yesterday. On the road, the 530's power seems quite manageable. But as a dirt bike, it's an ANIMAL and well above my skill level! As seen here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xrCjO9ogc4

I continue to be impressed with this Gopro HD. That last stack landed my helmet right on the camera, and as you can see it wasn't phased. It caught every grunt and moan didn't miss a frame. Not even any scratches on the case!

Once again, very good. Well edited.

"FFFAAAAARRRRRR" x 3 lol.

Kendog
4th January 2010, 09:32
Awesome video.
But damn you for posting that, now I really want one of these cameras.

steve_t
31st December 2010, 09:21
Sorry for the thread dredge :whocares: Consider it more of an update :yes:
Now's a good time if you were looking at getting one as they're on special at the moment. $399 instead of the usual $549

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/G6CMCN0HD/title/gopro-hd-motorsports-hero-camera

Waihou Thumper
1st January 2011, 17:18
That is a bloody good deal....Yes.
You cannot even beat that from the USA.......:) I have tried...
Just bought a V.I.O 1.5, really pleased with it....

specter
1st January 2011, 22:31
Hey guys

(Click HD)

Dave

danm i wish i had found this earlier! ohwell, its an awesome camera! blocks out pretty much all windnoise! :woohoo: