PDA

View Full Version : Buying, Fixing, and Re-Vin of De-Registered Insurance Writeoff. How?

breakaway
7th December 2009, 15:09
As in thread title.

My plan is to buy an insurance wreck, fix it up and keep it for myself. I will be doing most/all of the work, this is my first "Project" bike. The bike has had a frontal impact. Forks etc all seem good.

Now here's my question: What is needed to get the bike back on the road? By that, I mean re-registered, and with a current WoF.

I searched, but couldn't find anything 'concrete' - would like to prefrably hear from someone who has done this before or researched about it. I rang up LTSA and asked what is needed to get teh bike (an insurance writeoff - de-registered) back on the road, and all the lady on the other end of the line could tell me was "Nothing - all you have to do is fix the bike, take it to a LTSA or AA where they do Re-Vins and pay your fee, and that's it!" Which is definitely not the case, I'm sure. I thought this kind of "Simple" re-vin is just for those bikes who have been imported or bikes whos regos have lapsed, right?

What is the process?

Do I:
- Buy the wreck, fix it up and just go in for a re-vin (which I hear is like a WoF, but significantly tougher).
- Need get a repair certification?
- Meed a Low Volume Certification?

And how does this process work? Like, does the certification guy just go over the bike with a fine tooth comb or what?

All these terms make my head hurt. I'm trying understand what they all mean - and make an informed decision regarding what I should do next. I hear a lot of people get screwed over because of the re-vin / certification process, and would like to ensure this doesn't happen to me.

Any help appreciated :)

sidwyz
7th December 2009, 15:38
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=105993

breakaway
7th December 2009, 15:49
Thanks. It seems my search skills need improving :p