PDA

View Full Version : Big twins

SPP
7th December 2009, 17:41
Whoa... had a short blat on Boomers KTM along SH22. My god, the drive these things have is awesome. Feels like the rear wheel is gouging out the corner.

And the engine braking... got keen and dropped two gears coming into a corner and launched the boys into the tank.

I think I'm a fan :drool: and can understand why Ducati is so popular

A naked is a little bit maniac tho', kinda like standing bolt upright with your fist in the air yelling "come and get some!"

Fatjim
7th December 2009, 17:43
Your absolutely right. The theme to Team America goes through my head when I ride my Tuono.

Marmoot
7th December 2009, 17:57
Ducati is like a Ferrari, somewhat.
You buy it because you want it. Not because of what it can do (oh boy and yes it can!)
Sure a little boy in a fast Honda might beat you but you're still the one smiling when you park your duc at home.

one fast tl1ooo
7th December 2009, 18:11
You wanta try a tl1000...

SPP
7th December 2009, 18:54
You wanta try a tl1000...
I have a lot to look forward to.

I'm resisting test riding a litre bike because I know I'll want one. Then think up all sorts of justification... must... resist.

98tls
7th December 2009, 18:59
Whoa... had a short blat on Boomers KTM along SH22. My god, the drive these things have is awesome. Feels like the rear wheel is gouging out the corner.

And the engine braking... got keen and dropped two gears coming into a corner and launched the boys into the tank.

I think I'm a fan :drool: and can understand why Ducati is so popular

A naked is a little bit maniac tho', kinda like standing bolt upright with your fist in the air yelling "come and get some!" Nice eh,big fan of the KTMs myself.Getting rid of the low bars on my TL and fitting dirt bike bars for that "maniac" feeling.:2thumbsup

Highlander
7th December 2009, 19:12
Did wonder what I was going to get opening a thread titled "Big Twins" pleasantly surprised. Well done.

Getting rid of the low bars on my TL and fitting dirt bike bars for that "maniac" feeling.:2thumbsup

Our SV400 (theoretically it is hers but I do most of the Km on it) has had the wider flat bars fitted. Admitedly it is just a 400 but sounds and feels like a much bigger bike, fantastic for commuting (which would be a waste on the BMW) and has the whole twin torque and engine braking thing happening. Great fun.

98tls
7th December 2009, 19:19
Did wonder what I was going to get opening a thread titled "Big Twins" pleasantly surprised. Well done.

Our SV400 (theoretically it is hers but I do most of the Km on it) has had the wider flat bars fitted. Admitedly it is just a 400 but sounds and feels like a much bigger bike, fantastic for commuting (which would be a waste on the BMW) and has the whole twin torque and engine braking thing happening. Great fun. :2thumbsupBe a hoot through the tight twistys,been conversing with a bloke in England whos been racing a TL in there hillclimb series for years,a very much modified TL and had great success against far newer bikes,bit outta line in this thread but he bought a KTM raced it but was going quicker on the old one so sold it,reckons the high bars make it a completly different bike.

LBD
7th December 2009, 19:20
245kph on monster (S4rs)...on main straight Teretonga....in 4th...hits the rev limiter and clicks into 5th and.....on the brakes cause no room left...what a rush, I love V2 torque....

DarkLord
7th December 2009, 19:23
Hell, even my '01 SV650 has a decent amount of pull.

Love the torque of the twin, but one its greatest aspects has to be the sound.... mmmm... rumbly :D

JimO
7th December 2009, 19:30
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/jim157/?action=view&current=DSCF3553.flv

carver
7th December 2009, 20:22
I love parallels...what to get next?

98tls
7th December 2009, 20:25
I love parallels...what to get next? SFC Laverda,if ya can find one.

carver
7th December 2009, 20:31
SFC Laverda,if ya can find one.

i want to ride, not finance and fix it

pritch
7th December 2009, 20:36
SFC Laverda,if ya can find one.

There was a really tasty one at the first Chateau to Plateau. All the latest from Japan and Europe, but the big crowd was gathered round the Laverda.

There was a local here had a Benelli 650 for sale recently.

98tls
7th December 2009, 20:43
There was a really tasty one at the first Chateau to Plateau. All the latest from Japan and Europe, but the big crowd was gathered round the Laverda.

There was a local here had a Benelli 650 for sale recently. Nice,very nice.Any pics of it P?Bit like an old Bevel SS,park it in the middle of a sea full of the latest Ducs,jappas,whatever and the majority wont see anything but the old Bevel.As good as the rest may be there as common as flies on shit and in the grand scheme of things about as inspiring.Always makes me laugh when i hear a late model uber $ Duc with the uber expensive exhauts,compared to an old Bevel SS with Contis they sound like a sewing machine.

boomer
7th December 2009, 20:59
i'm enjoying it now... Not long after i got it i rang Chris and said i missed my gixxer and the SDR wasn't all that.

Well, it seems the SDR is all that and some ..who'd have guessed DMNTD would have been right :whistle: it's a relationship you have to build (The bike that is, Dmntd lets anyone stir his porridge )

92dB Chris is what the Akras put out with no baffles apparantly.. :blip: Not quite Harley Status

SPP get an IL4 seven fiddy (keep john happy), then the thou..then an aprilla RSVR... then get the Ducati supermotard, a 1098 and then the V4....

MaxCannon
7th December 2009, 21:46
After two days on a big twin I'm loving it.
Stick it in 3rd gear and leave the IL4 guys behind in the tight twisties.

98tls
7th December 2009, 21:51
After two days on a big twin I'm loving it.
Stick it in 3rd gear and leave the IL4 guys behind in the tight twisties. Tight twisties and 3rd gear,Either the twisties up yonder aint so tight or that things extremely low geared.What is it?

MaxCannon
8th December 2009, 08:11
BMW R1200S

In the really tight stuff I was using second.
More referring to the fact that out into and out of slow corners I didn't have to dance on the gear lever, just pick a gear and roll on and off the throttle.

Made it heaps easier to focus on being smooth and taking a good line.

SPP
8th December 2009, 08:23
... bike that is, Dmntd lets anyone stir his porridge)...

Shhh! not while there are so many Honda riders about. One will try to eat your lunch.:shake:

SPP get an IL4 seven fiddy (keep john happy), then the thou..then an aprilla RSVR...

Sounds like the smart progression. You know better than anybody that I’ve still got a lot of tidying up to do. I’d be sloppy and dangerous on a litre... but I still want one.:pinch:

But this isn't about that, more about how different a big twin is compared with what I’m used to. Bloody awesome, nice bike dude.

george formby
8th December 2009, 08:44
Ha Ha Ha, fun fun fun!:woohoo:

Highlander
13th December 2009, 06:50
BMW R1200S

More referring to the fact that out into and out of slow corners I didn't have to dance on the gear lever, just pick a gear and roll on and off the throttle.

My 1100 S is like that too. Real torque pull from way low in the revs to ... not sure, haven't found the top yet. Coupled with the shaft drive.
Awesome. A real pleasure to ride.

rocketman1
13th December 2009, 08:33
Big twins are the way to go Bro,
The excitement , soul, vibration, sound, torque, engine braking, are all things that give a big twin a feeling that you are on motorbike with character.
I am not against inline 4's these are much better for city commuting in my opinion, and I own a few, but for the real satisfaction of biking on NZ roads,
you have to own a V twin. Love them.

vifferman
13th December 2009, 08:46
You're all cocks. :Pokey:
There's no way I'm gonna be able to get another v-twin. :crybaby:
But I'm sure I need a Ducati before I croak. (I've had the keyring for 15 years....)

Followed a really gorgeous Aprilia on Friday - it had the factory race mufflers on, and sounded fantastic.

george formby
13th December 2009, 09:04
BMW R1200S

You nailed it. A twin seems to make it a lot easier to focus on where your going & not think about the bike so much. 24k's through the Waipoua forest hairpins t' other day was roll on, roll off the throttle with the occasional dab down to second & that lovely boom from the pipes out of every corner. Intoxicating. Tyres look pretty trashed now though. The edges are wearing at the same rate as the middle, I love living in twistie land!

Pussy
13th December 2009, 09:09
SPP get an IL4 seven fiddy (keep john happy),

The IL4 sem fiddy DOES keep John happy!
Best bike I have ever owned

Voltaire
13th December 2009, 12:53
Nice,very nice.Any pics of it P?Bit like an old Bevel SS,park it in the middle of a sea full of the latest Ducs,jappas,whatever and the majority wont see anything but the old Bevel.As good as the rest may be there as common as flies on shit and in the grand scheme of things about as inspiring.Always makes me laugh when i hear a late model uber $ Duc with the uber expensive exhauts,compared to an old Bevel SS with Contis they sound like a sewing machine.

Gotta agree there, my bevel sounds way better than my belt drive.
I prefer whiring bevels and Dellortos to clattery clutches and EFI induction roar.

Fluffy Cat
13th December 2009, 13:03
Keep on going on about Honda IL4's?.....
What about Honda V2's....might still eat your lunch though. Sp1/Sp2 were good at eating Ducati lunch in their time.:first::clap::headbang:

Kickaha
13th December 2009, 13:22
Gotta agree there, my bevel sounds way better than my belt drive.
I prefer whiring bevels and Dellortos to clattery clutches and EFI induction roar.

Any Bevel sounds better than that rubber band rubbish:whistle:

Voltaire
13th December 2009, 15:45

The only problem with the rubber band rubbish is it starts first time every time, and so far has done 10 000 trouble free kms....oh and its easy to service.....boring....:rolleyes:
....now back to rebushing the rear wheel and swingarm of the bevel.....:scratch::scratch:

Fluffy Cat
13th December 2009, 16:45
He.

Youz need gear driven cams for the whine.....

Sp1/2 easy to service to.......

Waahaaaa!!!!:niceone:

Kickaha
13th December 2009, 16:53
The only problem with the rubber band rubbish is it starts first time every time, and so far has done 10 000 trouble free kms....oh and its easy to service.....boring....:rolleyes:

Apart from the "easy to service" it doesn't sound any different than the Darmah I had

Only done 3000 km since I've had the Mille but it starts first time every time so far

CookMySock
13th December 2009, 16:59
I never liked the sound of vtwins, until I owned one and put a noisy pipe on it, and wow it was like a massive 4T dirt bike crossed with a missile.. The best part I reckon, is you don't have to boot it everywhere to enjoy it.. it just talks to its' daddy all day.. :love:

Steve

Voltaire
13th December 2009, 17:53
Apart from the "easy to service" it doesn't sound any different than the Darmah I had

Only done 3000 km since I've had the Mille but it starts first time every time so far

Using my rubber band calculator.... you've only had the Mille 4 months then....:clap:

I've done about 3000 kms on the Darmah this year.... usually starts first few times.....mostly:rolleyes:

Kickaha
13th December 2009, 17:58
Using my rubber band calculator.... you've only had the Mille 4 months then....:clap::

nah just over a year, things just haven't worked out like I'd hoped, maybe next year I'll be able to knock up a few more

Voltaire
13th December 2009, 18:16
I never liked the sound of vtwins, until I owned one and put a noisy pipe on it, and wow it was like a massive 4T dirt bike crossed with a missile.. The best part I reckon, is you don't have to boot it everywhere to enjoy it.. it just talks to its' daddy all day.. :love:

Steve

You can't help but love the Norton Commando with its metal flake paint and reverse cone mufflers.:niceone:

CookMySock
13th December 2009, 18:26
You can't help but love the Norton Commando with its metal flake paint and reverse cone mufflers.:niceone:Haha, took me a minute to get that one. Good one!

edit: heres the deal.. free product to KBers if you find ME in one of our vans.. (you wont though..) Offer revoked if this is distributed.

Steve

Dodgyiti
13th December 2009, 20:41
That Norton with a bikini fairing and you got me :drool:
Can I have it in Yellow please?

FROSTY
13th December 2009, 20:55
the trixxy is close to my all time favorite bike ever

pritch
13th December 2009, 21:52
I'm sure the owners of Conti equipped bevel drive bikes will be gratified to read the comments here. Of course if these comments had been spoken they wouldn't have been able to hear.

That or pretty much anything else actually :whistle:

McWild
14th December 2009, 11:42

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kickaha again.

Personally don't see the appeal of sticking a bike in one gear for the corners.

Already have an automatic car.

JMemonic
14th December 2009, 12:18
Using my rubber band calculator.... you've only had the Mille 4 months then....:clap:

I've done about 3000 kms on the Darmah this year.... usually starts first few times.....mostly:rolleyes:

That mileage sounds low 3000 kms this year? or was that supposed to read 30,000 kms?

Voltaire
14th December 2009, 12:29
That mileage sounds low 3000 kms this year? or was that supposed to read 30,000 kms?

I'm only one of those old weekend warriors they go about.....not a real biker commuting to work ....:msn-wink:

3000 on the Darmah
2000 on the R50/5
6000 on the 900ss
In reverse order of reliablility:rolleyes:

JMemonic
14th December 2009, 13:21
I'm only one of those old weekend warriors they go about.....not a real biker commuting to work ....:msn-wink:

3000 on the Darmah
2000 on the R50/5
6000 on the 900ss
In reverse order of reliablility:rolleyes:

Lucky folks who have more than one operational bike.:Pokey:

ukusa
14th December 2009, 16:24
Lucky folks who have more than one operational bike.:Pokey:

not so lucky when it comes to rego time

Voltaire
14th December 2009, 18:49
not so lucky when it comes to rego time

very lucky when it comes to servicing time.:niceone:
$0 per hour.

LBD
17th December 2009, 22:22
He.

Youz need gear driven cams for the whine.....

:

The whine is only good for pommy bikes....

Besides I can't hear much oer the clutch rattle at idle....