PDA

View Full Version : NZ: “Old geezers” to undertake 19,500km motorbike trip

Bob
29th April 2005, 00:08
Self-proclaimed “Old Geezers” Dick Huurdeman, 72, Des Molloy, 55, and his son Stephen are to undertake a 19,500km ride across Asia and Europe. The trio have planned a route from Beijing to Arnhem..

Stephen, 24 said "For me, I look at these guys and hear about all their adventures and it just took off from there." He will record on film the “Old geezers”' trip riding classic British motorcycles (Huurdeman will ride a 1950s 600cc Norton, Molloy a 650cc Panther) from China to Holland, via Mongolia, the Silk Road of Uzbekistan, the Pamir mountains, the Hindu Kush, the Karakoram Highway, which connects Pakistan and China, the deserts of Iran and Turkey and the hills of Albania and Croatia.

On a journey through Iran in the early 1970s, Mr Molloy swapped a Norton bike for three Persian carpets. He will attempt to find out what happened to that machine on this trip.

The trip is intended to end on August 1. They plan a long detour to attend the 70th birthday of Mr Huurdeman's younger sister. "It will mean riding another 9000km, but she's worth it” said Huurdeman.

LB
29th April 2005, 01:44
Go "the old geezers".

These guys are an inspiration to us all.

(for those who know them, this trip very in character - they are a great bunch of blokes)

Ixion
29th April 2005, 02:07
.. “Old Geezers” Dick Huurdeman, 72, Des Molloy, 55,

Go "the old geezers".

Watch it ! 55 ! It says he's only 55. Less of the "old geezer" here. He's an hinfant, a babe in harms, practically unweaned.

Old geezer indeed ! Impertinance, that's what it is . In the prime of life he is.

Blackbird
29th April 2005, 07:26
Ummmm.... quite so.

Watch it Lynda - you're on thin ice :D

Geoff

Legolas
29th April 2005, 17:03
Originally posted by Ixion.
Watch it ! 55 ! It says he's only 55. Less of the "old geezer" here. He's an hinfant, a babe in harms, practically unweaned.

That must make me a new born babe of 49 then. Lol.

There's still hope for me yet then. :drinknsin

Blackbird
29th April 2005, 17:43
That must make me a new born babe of 49 then. Lol.

There's still hope for me yet then. :drinknsin

No hope for you at all Steve - you ride a red 'un after all :laugh:

You're up early!

Geoff

Legolas
29th April 2005, 18:32
Us youngsters don't need the sleep.
I get up early to get my fix of KB before I go to work. :yes:

LB
30th April 2005, 06:41
Opps - sorry for touching the raw nerve guys!

I was merely quoting the original text (have I dug myself out yet?)

Legolas
30th April 2005, 07:32
Originally posted by Lynda Blair.
Opps - sorry for touching the raw nerve guys!

Not at all Lynda. I'm proud to have reached the age I am (Approaching 50 going on 16).

I must be tougher than I look. :laugh:
If it weren't for insanity I'd probably be normal. :yes: