PDA

View Full Version : RG150 electric start?

enth
9th December 2009, 15:00
Hi all,

I don't mind kicking the bike into action it's just it becomes a hassle sometimes.
Is it possible to make an electric start for my 1998 Suzuki RG 150?

Oh and one other point, I purchased the bike a few weeks back and all the electrics were sweet, now my right hand indicator goes on but doesn't flash. Anyone had this before, any ideas why it's doing this? Would I need to fix this for wof? It doesn't really bother me that much as I hardly ever indicate (I know, I'm a bad person :nono: )

Str8 Jacket
9th December 2009, 15:04
You don't deserve to own an RG! :thud:

avgas
9th December 2009, 15:10
Elec Start - NO!

Indicators - check bulbs, 1 is blown.

and I agree with Str8 Jacket........bestest bikes ever, fun in a can

Str8 Jacket
9th December 2009, 15:13
Elec Start - NO!

Indicators - check bulbs, 1 is blown.

and I agree with Str8 Jacket........bestest bikes ever, fun in a can

Ya see, I typed up a response similar to yours but then the smart arse in me leapt out and typed what I did...

I agree with Avgas, they ARE the bestest bikes ever!

enth
9th December 2009, 15:14
Yea I'm a nooblet, What's a can?

Will do tonight when I get it home.
Planning on sanding/respraying the chassis because it's starting to rust, very tiny rust marks.

slofox
9th December 2009, 15:17
Hi all,

I don't mind kicking the bike into action it's just it becomes a hassle sometimes.
Is it possible to make an electric start for my 1998 Suzuki RG 150?

Just kick it you lazy bugger!!

It doesn't really bother me that much as I hardly ever indicate (I know, I'm a bad person :nono: )

Yes. You are a bad bad person...:spanking:

Seriously though, I would get into the habit of using those indicators were I you. Helps reduce your chances of getting squashed by crazed cagers...:hitcher: (and other bikers come to that...)

avgas
9th December 2009, 15:21
What's a can?
The thing that holds the goodness.

I suppose you are too young and all your goodness is vacuum packed these days

enth
9th December 2009, 15:29
The thing that holds the goodness.

I suppose you are too young and all your goodness is vacuum packed these days

I am rather young and yes it is, comes in really small packages delivered by small people. Lol.

Picked it up for a bargain I reckon. Want a TR110 or TR50 to get to and from town and then use this vacuum packed awesomeness on the weekends and nights for a nice long curvy ride.

Kinda sad these only get up to 180km/h, not that i've been that fast on it :innocent:

enth
9th December 2009, 15:30
Okay I promise I'll keep it non-electric start and will continue to be proud to kick it every time I use it. :D

avgas
9th December 2009, 15:33
Ya see, I typed up a response similar to yours but then the smart arse in me leapt out and typed what I did...
Oh luv dontcha worry - it must be that premature thing I have :banana:

avgas
9th December 2009, 15:34
Kinda sad these only get up to 180km/h, not that i've been that fast on it :innocent:
errr no they don't they can go past that (on the speedo atleast):niceone:

enth
9th December 2009, 15:37
errr no they don't they can go past that (on the speedo atleast):niceone:

Okay "my friend" took it on the motorway and it capped at 180. Was doing a bit of reading on the bike and people say it's due to the gearing ratio/rev limiter thingy. Apparently you can get them well past 200 but the gearing might incinerate due the the high rpm, not too keen as I actually like the bike and are pretty rare.

Str8 Jacket
9th December 2009, 15:39
Okay I promise I'll keep it non-electric start and will continue to be proud to kick it every time I use it. :D

Well, considering you dont really have any other choice....

Anyway, enjoy the RG, they are great lil bikes! :niceone:

enth
9th December 2009, 15:43
Thanks for the help guys!

Str8 Jacket
9th December 2009, 15:45
Thanks for the help guys!

Well, we didn't really help you. But if you want some really good advice then you should try racing it! :yeah:

avgas
9th December 2009, 15:50
Okay "my friend" took it on the motorway and it capped at 180. Was doing a bit of reading on the bike and people say it's due to the gearing ratio/rev limiter thingy. Apparently you can get them well past 200 but the gearing might incinerate due the the high rpm, not too keen as I actually like the bike and are pretty rare.
Nah they don't have speedo restriction like the other bikes - as they were sold new here. Trick is to get the power valves to "drop-the-hammer" at about 10,500 rather than the usual "dial-down" through the whole range.
Gearbox is sweet - I thrashed the shit out of mine til it blew up at 24,000. Mate bought it, did a rebuild - said gearbox looked almost new.

enth
9th December 2009, 15:55
Well, we didn't really help you. But if you want some really good advice then you should try racing it! :yeah:

You guys helped me with the indicator problem...

I'd love to go around a circuit and get my knee down. But don't have any friends that have bikes that I can chase/be chased. Would one of you kind folk like to invite me to a track day? :P

Str8 Jacket
9th December 2009, 15:59

I'd love to go around a circuit and get my knee down. But don't have any friends that have bikes that I can chase/be chased. Would one of you kind folk like to invite me to a track day? :P

You dont need to get your knee down or have to beat someone just to have a blast on the track. Look out for the track days advertised on KB and get yourself along to one. Trust me, you'll be addicted after the first lap!

rphenix
9th December 2009, 16:14
I am rather young and yes it is, comes in really small packages delivered by small people. Lol.

Picked it up for a bargain I reckon. Want a TR110 or TR50 to get to and from town and then use this vacuum packed awesomeness on the weekends and nights for a nice long curvy ride.

RG150 Speedo is inaccurate at higher speeds (in an optimistic way) anyway.

RDjase
9th December 2009, 17:03

Do a track day or race day, Its a blast, Str8 jacket will show how to do it, Big grin factor:niceone:

TRRS on 27th/28th at Taupo. come for a look and have a talk to the racers, Its a awesome meeting

avgas
9th December 2009, 20:37
RG150 Speedo is inaccurate at higher speeds (in an optimistic way) anyway.

1) all are
2) its a percentage over whole range - 1 speed is no major diff over another % wise
3) my RG speedo showed me 220 once, so 180kph (real) is VERY possible. But you need serious mods to get to that level.