PDA

View Full Version : ACC levies: the affect on the motorcycle industry?

Pedrostt500
9th December 2009, 16:32
Ok to all of you who, Own, Manage, or work in the Motorcycle Industry, what has been the effect on your Industry or Busness that you work for since the anoucement of the Hike in ACC Levies?.

Please Do not post about, what a bloke Down The Pub said or a mate of a mate.

I intend this thread to be for those who work with in the Industry, and so we can get a human angle to the affects of the Levey hikes, also if you have been laid off or have had to lay off staff because of the Affects of the anoucement to the ACC Levey hikes.
Because this is not just about it Costing more money, but also about Peoples Livley Hoods and Jobs.
I am aware that this is the Busy season for the Motorcycle Industry, and also the ACC Levey increases being poorly timed with a Recession.

dmouse
9th December 2009, 18:51
i have been in touch with some motorcyle shops and the AA regarding the levies, i will paste below a reply from the AA.

Hi David. The AA has met with the Minister of ACC, twice with ACC, and also presented to the parliamentary select committee considering changes to the ACC legislation that will reduce levy costs. We have also been reported in some of the media, although motorcycle groups have dominated the coverage.

For copies of our submissions on the levies and the legislation review, refer to the submission section of our website: http://www.aa.co.nz/about/submissions/Pages/2009-AA-submissions-to-Government.aspx

Keeping New Zealanders movingMARK STOCKDALE | SENIOR POLICY ANALYST

The New Zealand Automobile Association Incorporated

Level 7, 342-352 Lambton Quay 6011 | PO Box 1, Wellington 6140

DDI. +64 4 931 9986 M. +64 21 0220 4700 F. +64 4 931 9960 E. mstockdale@aa.co.nz W. www.aa.co.nz

The trusted and responsible voice of over one million motorists – read here about AA Advocacy

This email may contain information which is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use or disseminate this email or its attachments. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately and delete this email.

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/assets/signup/tn_eco_oak(sml).jpg Please think before you print out this email.

Pedrostt500
9th December 2009, 19:35
The AA wasn't what I was thinking of, more interested in the affects of the Levey rises to those in the motorcycle industry.

P38
9th December 2009, 19:46
i have been in touch with some motorcyle shops and the AA regarding the levies, i will paste below a reply from the AA.

Hi David. The AA has met with the Minister of ACC, twice with ACC, and also presented to the parliamentary select committee considering changes to the ACC legislation that will reduce levy costs. We have also been reported in some of the media, although motorcycle groups have dominated the coverage.

For copies of our submissions on the levies and the legislation review, refer to the submission section of our website: http://www.aa.co.nz/about/submissions/Pages/2009-AA-submissions-to-Government.aspx

Keeping New Zealanders movingMARK STOCKDALE | SENIOR POLICY ANALYST

The New Zealand Automobile Association Incorporated

Level 7, 342-352 Lambton Quay 6011 | PO Box 1, Wellington 6140

DDI. +64 4 931 9986 M. +64 21 0220 4700 F. +64 4 931 9960 E. mstockdale@aa.co.nz W. www.aa.co.nz

The trusted and responsible voice of over one million motorists – read here about AA Advocacy

This email may contain information which is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use or disseminate this email or its attachments. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately and delete this email.

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/assets/signup/tn_eco_oak(sml).jpg Please think before you print out this email.

Yeah good one AA!

Shit on the Motorcyclists while trying to feather your own nest.

Bastards!

maxf
9th December 2009, 23:55
Yeah good one AA!

Shit on the Motorcyclists while trying to feather your own nest.

Bastards!

The second one down, http://www.aa.co.nz/about/submissions/Documents/AA_submission_ACC_levy_consultation2010-11.pdf, isn't as bad as it could have been - they do lean heavily towards the car side, but still do make some sensible comments re
- M/c levies being so stupidly high enough to encourage non-registration
- CC class rating systems being inaccurate/inappropriate
- that the cost-coverage maths goes all wonky if large proportions of riders don't register and/or suspend registrations due to financial pressures (esp on owners with more than one vehicle)
- that ACC should stick to their own precepts and not force people out of certain activiites by prohibitive levy raising
- that there should be some sort of constructive feedback to reward safe vehicle use as part of the "prevention" part of the ACC charter.

Also note in the Select comittee submission they make note (point 21)that "
The NZAA also has little confidence in the quality of data held on the Motor
Vehicle Register (relating to both owners and vehicle safety ratings), which
would be used for risk-rating purposes, so the development of a system of
differential levies would need to follow the establishment of a reliable
system of collecting relevant vehicle (or owner) data.

That constructive stuff said, the AA do still act very sanctimonious IMHO and claim to speak for all NZ motorists... well, not me or my extended family, not any more. We left after increasing fees (paying for more admin and subsidizing adventures into commercial ventures?) and when complaining then being told you can offset their money-making by being forced to subsidize turnover at AA "rewards" partners..?! Sorry, they really have lost their roots - haven't missed them yet.

Kiwi Graham
10th December 2009, 05:06
This is a point I tried raising some time ago. Other than a well worded submision on behalf of the MTA dealers there has been a big fat silence from them.

So one can only sumise they dont give a shit, well not enough to make any noise about it anyway.

YellowDog
10th December 2009, 05:36
With motorcycling becoming overpriced and inaccessible to to 'Joe Public' - it may well become an elitist recreational sport (for the wealthy). Hence the retail and servicing outlets will need to change significantly to cater for this change.

"Would you like your shoulders massaged whilst waiting for your motorcycle?"

"And how about some extras?"

But seriously, it will be very interesting to see if or how the smaller dealerships will be able to suvive this massive kick in the teeth.

For some: This isn't the straw that broke the camels back, it's the sledgehammer that fucked it beyond repair.

flyingcrocodile46
10th December 2009, 05:47
The second one down, http://www.aa.co.nz/about/submissions/Documents/AA_submission_ACC_levy_consultation2010-11.pdf, isn't as bad as it could have been - they do lean heavily towards the car side, but still do make some sensible comments re
- M/c levies being so stupidly high enough to encourage non-registration
- CC class rating systems being inaccurate/inappropriate
- that the cost-coverage maths goes all wonky if large proportions of riders don't register and/or suspend registrations due to financial pressures (esp on owners with more than one vehicle)
- that ACC should stick to their own precepts and not force people out of certain activiites by prohibitive levy raising
- that there should be some sort of constructive feedback to reward safe vehicle use as part of the "prevention" part of the ACC charter.

Also note in the Select comittee submission they make note (point 21)that "
The NZAA also has little confidence in the quality of data held on the Motor
Vehicle Register (relating to both owners and vehicle safety ratings), which
would be used for risk-rating purposes, so the development of a system of
differential levies would need to follow the establishment of a reliable
system of collecting relevant vehicle (or owner) data.

That constructive stuff said, the AA do still act very sanctimonious IMHO and claim to speak for all NZ motorists... well, not me or my extended family, not any more. We left after increasing fees (paying for more admin and subsidizing adventures into commercial ventures?) and when complaining then being told you can offset their money-making by being forced to subsidize turnover at AA "rewards" partners..?! Sorry, they really have lost their roots - haven't missed them yet.

Oh noes! You can't start reading that sort of stuff. How can we be expected to whine about it if we read and understand it? You have clearly missed the point. We are here only to pat each other on the back when we criticise the statements and opinions of people who say anything negative about bikes. We aren't here to consider non biker view points.

I had a read of it a couple of days ago. It is far too balanced to have come from an organisation that is roundly condemned by the many of us who form opinions without any actual research.

Voltaire
10th December 2009, 06:27
the AA do still act very sanctimonious IMHO and claim to speak for all NZ motorists...

I imagine they speak for more motorists than any of the Motorcycle ' groups' speak for motorcyclists.
The AA probably has no motorcyclists on its committees or board and is just calling it how it sees it.
Yesterday whilst out in my 'cage' I saw several riders of motorcycles wearing shorts, jeans, trainers and an shirt office clothes and all the ones with no gloves....and thats not including the people who ride scooters who think they are impervious to road rash.
If this is what motorists see ACC has to pick up the pieces for they are probably right.

caseye
10th December 2009, 06:46
Katman will be bye soon to tell you, you are 100% right and once again I'd have to agree with him.
Our own kind are making the majority of us look like bloody wankers.Jandals and shorts, shorts and well shined leather shoes.Madness is what it is and YES the message that any cage driver gets is just that Voltaire, well the ACC is certainly going to be paying a big whack on that Jerk! Well then the bikers deserve all they get.
As for the AA well as already stated, they seem to be making sense for the most part and at least are getting in the ear of Govt and ACC.I'm rejoining and I will try to get active in the AA lets see if we can't change thier minds from within as Ixion suggested WEEKS AGO.

jetboy
10th December 2009, 07:25
Although my industry is not motorcycle-specific my main book of business is, therefore the levy hike will affect me if it goes through. I have not yet seen a major impact for my business, however I think alot of people are sitting tight and waiting to see what happens before they make concrete decisions about whether to keep their motorcycles etc.
I've written submissions and attended almost all of the protest events in my area, including the BIKEOI.

Katman
10th December 2009, 07:50
Katman will be bye soon to tell you, you are 100% right and once again I'd have to agree with him.
Our own kind are making the majority of us look like bloody wankers.Jandals and shorts, shorts and well shined leather shoes.

Sorry Mark, you seem to have my message confused.

I have never entered into the whole ATGATT debate.

My concern is with motorcyclists who ride in a manner that makes them an accident waiting to happen.

And back to the topic of the thread.........

I haven't seen any adverse effect on Motorcycling within my business - yet.

caseye
10th December 2009, 14:42
Don't be sorry Katman, if I've roped you into something you'd not normally comment on then I'll retract it, no worries.For me though it is just another Wanker waiting to get carved up and who does cost us all in image and influence with the majority of road users.
I do sincerely hope that you never see an adverse effect from ACC Levy increase or any other form of Govt Intervention.