PDA

View Full Version : FXR150 - Time for new rings?

koba
9th December 2009, 18:02
Str8's FXR blew the seal around the clutch actuator rod thingy a wee while ago, and it has since spat the seal from the kickstarter shaft.

This needs to be fixed properly because it results in oil loss and it also ends up on the rear tyre and brake! A wee mudguard extention is on the cardsjust in case but I need to get this sorted quickly and properly.

I'm thinking that logically this is due to too much pressure for the seals to handle behind them.

So again using the brain I come up with possible causes being:

1) Seals have go old and cant handle the jandle any more. - look OK but SHOULD be cheap and easy to replace as a matter of course.

2) Breather is blocked and not allowing enough gas to get out - It appears clear and unrestricted but I will make proper sure shortly.

3) Too much gas for the breather to flow from excessive blowby.

Or some combination thereof...

So, Questions:

What do people who have more experiance with this think?

What sort of pressure should I expect to see on the compression tester?

What Mileage to you guys see out of rings/camchains etc on buckets?
(I should mention it has a CB250 carb and gets the occasional bucket race in. Kms are high too.

Who has rings if I do need to do them?

Anyone got a manual to make life a bit easier?

Str8 Jacket
10th December 2009, 06:46
This is what happens when you buy a DIESEL! :sick:

CookMySock
10th December 2009, 09:12
Sometimes that happens when the engine is overfilled with oil.

edit: it can also happen when the seals are fitted with oil or sealant on them - they just slip out real easy. Seals must be pressed into a super-clean housing, so degrease everything well first and press in with a mandrel. Don't use a sealant on them.

Steve

phoenixgtr
10th December 2009, 09:56
Jeepers!! What are you doing to this bike Hels?!?

Timg (on here and on fxr150.co.nz) has a full service manual that he can photocopy pages for you (he's in Chch).

koba
10th December 2009, 20:53
This is what happens when you buy a DIESEL! :sick:
Who buys a Diesel?

Sometimes that happens when the engine is overfilled with oil.

edit: it can also happen when the seals are fitted with oil or sealant on them - they just slip out real easy. Seals must be pressed into a super-clean housing, so degrease everything well first and press in with a mandrel. Don't use a sealant on them.

Steve
Chur.
Oil was sweet, level is maintained regularly as it has a wee seep and burns a bit (somthing I should have also mentioned - it's not enough to visibly smoke)
The seals were factory installed or have been in there fine for ages so it is unlikely to be that.

Jeepers!! What are you doing to this bike Hels?!?

Timg (on here and on fxr150.co.nz) has a full service manual that he can photocopy pages for you (he's in Chch).

Chur, I forget about that site, I'm a member and all and it is brilliant but my brain is soggy.

I think I may have found the problem!

The catch bottle we ripped off it yesterday was way more restrictive that I thought, I hadn't checked it out close enough. compounding the problem here some of the glue I had used in its construction has become swollen over its hard life and got gunky at the wrong spot!

Olive oil bottle and a knife seems to have it sorted.

White trash
10th December 2009, 20:55
Str8's FXR blew the seal

You sure it didn't just look like it after eating an icecream?

koba
10th December 2009, 20:58
You sure it didn't just look like it after eating an icecream?

The bike assures me it was a blown seal but it really looks alot more like it has been bummed by an Elephant.