PDA

View Full Version : checking a frame for cracks - straightness

Badcat
29th April 2005, 11:32
hey.
i pick up my xt500for my street tracker project in bits in the weekend and want to start off right.
where can i go to get the frame checked for cracks and make sure it's straight and true?
i know - it's anal - but this is my deambike and it's not going to be thrown together quickly.
any thoughts?
i'm in Ork-land

k

Motu
29th April 2005, 12:11
The thing I hate about Jap frames is they are asymetrical - you can't check one side against the other,diagonals,drop points and stuff.I know when Peter Groves had Mt Eden he had a steel table he would bolt a frame to and check measurements before straightening ''without cutting or welding'' (big hits with huge hammer) It might still be there...I'd get the frame sand blasted to check for cracks.

nicko
30th April 2005, 10:02
Hey dude,

Try either Ray Clee @ RCM in Henderson, Steve Bridge @ F1 Engineering in Hamilton or John @ Smythe & Yeates in Cambrige.

All have straightened a few frames in their time and should be able to help you out.

FROSTY
30th April 2005, 10:25
id suggest bruin engineeering--hes pretty good.

Badcat
30th April 2005, 10:36
id suggest bruin engineeering--hes pretty good.
thanks all.
frosty, do you have a contact for tjebbe?

ken

LED
30th April 2005, 10:45
thanks all.
frosty, do you have a contact for tjebbe?

ken

VV after it the straightness is checked if you want it crack checked there is a non destructive testing NDT outfit in Manukau or check yellow pages for something local. have a good look around the welds for any dark tell tale fracture lines before you glass bead it, have fun.

Ixion
30th April 2005, 10:47
The thing I hate about Jap frames is they are asymetrical -

Yeah, Briddish frames were nice and symetrical. Shit on the left. Shit on the right. Shit in front. And shit behind. Perfectly symetrical :yes:

speedpro
30th April 2005, 12:05
Yeah, Briddish frames were nice and symetrical. Shit on the left. Shit on the right. Shit in front. And shit behind. Perfectly symetrical :yes:
And they didn't rust much for some reason :whistle:

When anyone is straightening a frame for you it's probably better if you don't hang around, being your baby and all.

TwoSeven
30th April 2005, 13:21
Does anyone know if there is someone that can straighten frames down here in CHCH with the proper jig.

I put a twist in a top yolk many years ago (large pothole in london) - doesnt affect handling, but you tend to end up sitting slightly sideways (I figure less aerodynamic drag) - more annoying that anything else.

Badcat
2nd May 2005, 08:21
VV after it the straightness is checked if you want it crack checked there is a non destructive testing NDT outfit in Manukau or check yellow pages for something local. have a good look around the welds for any dark tell tale fracture lines before you glass bead it, have fun.

soryor my ignorane.
what does VV mean?

ken

LED
2nd May 2005, 08:32
No idea!! Must have needed some shut-eye, make something up and let us know!! How did you get on with the frame?

Badcat
2nd May 2005, 09:02
No idea!! Must have needed some shut-eye, make something up and let us know!! How did you get on with the frame?

maybe Visually Verify?

only picked it up yesterday - it is in much better shape than i thought - but will still take it to the crowd in cambridge i think.
there are pics on my street track replica XT500 thread.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11291&highlight=xt500

k

inlinefour
2nd May 2005, 09:12
I'd definitely get the professionals to look at it :yes:

Badcat
2nd May 2005, 09:16
I'd definitely get the professionals to look at it :yes:
yep - this one is going to be perfect so i'll start right with a stripped checked frame and get it power coated after.

k