PDA

View Full Version : Leather or alternatives?

Oakie
29th April 2005, 11:39
I've decided that I've pushed my luck far enough and want to upgrade from my windbreaker type jacket to something that's going to keep my skin away from the tar-seal a bit better should something nasty happen.
Most of my travel is in the city but every couple of weeks we go for a bit of a blast in the country (well, more of a cruise than a blast I guess).

Leather jackets look cool but do they keep the cold out on a frosty day and how water resistant are they? I have decent wet weather gear under the seat so all I need is something to keep a light drizzle out.

Bike jackets made from modern synthetic materials are probably water-proof and give reasonable protection in a fall but might look a bit OTT when you're wearing them for a purpose not related to riding a bike.

Recommendations please.

Jantar
29th April 2005, 11:48
Have a look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=7550

Personally I wouldn't go past leather. Its durable, gives great protection and water proof for up to 3 hours (depending on how well its looked after).

Sniper
29th April 2005, 12:13
Leather
(10 yes 10)

Oakie
29th April 2005, 12:17
Have a look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=7550

Personally I wouldn't go past leather. Its durable, gives great protection and water proof for up to 3 hours (depending on how well its looked after).

Thanks for the link. There seems to be a lot of what I want to know there.

Let's assume I go for a leather jacket. What makes a good jacket for biking ... and how do you look after them to keep them water resistant?

Motu
29th April 2005, 12:19
If you want people to look and stare and say...''Wow,lookit that guy,full race leathers on the street! He's only on a CB400,but shit,I reckon he must be a fucking Orsome rider!!!'' - then go for leather.

If you want to look like a complete and utter nerd who spends more time playing with his trainset than riding,and who hangs around electonic shops look for resistor bargins - go for textile.

Sutage
29th April 2005, 12:34
If you want people to look and stare and say...''Wow,lookit that guy,full race leathers on the street! He's only on a CB400,but shit,I reckon he must be a fucking Orsome rider!!!'' - then go for leather.

If you want to look like a complete and utter nerd who spends more time playing with his trainset than riding,and who hangs around electonic shops look for resistor bargins - go for textile.

Paints quite a picture doesnt he? :D

Zapf
29th April 2005, 12:36
crashed twice.... one 1 week ago... my leathers saved my ass big time..

and try not to elbow yourself in the chest with hard elbow armor... its not good.... take my word for it.

Lou Girardin
29th April 2005, 12:40
If you're heterosexual go for textile. (and if you like being warm and dry)
Otherwise get leather, big boy.
Dry in leather for 3 hours? ho ho ho.
Only if it's not raining!

Lou Girardin
29th April 2005, 12:40

In the interests of science, duplicate the crash wearing textile.

Paul in NZ
29th April 2005, 12:41

Oh, so you have met me?

A while after I bought my Spidi NT Tour I dropped in on a mate and he told me.. (about when I used my cruddy old leather) "I used ti think you were fuckin' cool man, now you have turned into BMW man or something?"

Huh!

Mind you - I get better service at the cafe' and I'm warm...

Paul N

Zapf
29th April 2005, 12:45

How about leather with Goretex liners :laugh:

TonyB
29th April 2005, 12:51
IF you want a laugh, buy Textile, then go to a HOG rally. You'll start to question their sexuality, as every one you talk to will look you down, then up, then they will sneer.
This has been done to death on the link above, but my 10 cents (no such thing as 2 or 5 now): if buying textile, go for the very best quality otherwise after a while it will start to leak (it may well leak straight away) and then you'll still look
look like a complete and utter nerd who spends more time playing with his trainset than riding,and who hangs around electonic shops look for resistor bargins AND you'll be just as wet if not wetter than the guy's in leather. My Tecnics leaks like a sieve now- I'm going back to leather.
Another downside of textiles- you can't do track days.

Eurodave
29th April 2005, 12:53
Leather for tough boy image & has great abrasion resistance for racers But in the real road world go for cordura for its everyday practicality,warmth/coolness with removable liner ,waterproofness & body armoured protection & generally, non 'hells angel bikie scum' look. Really the only downside is it may need replacing after an accident

Wolf
29th April 2005, 13:11
And on coolish days when you won't sweat...

Lou Girardin
29th April 2005, 13:14
How about leather with Goretex liners :laugh:

How about $1300 for a jacket only and you'd have to like wearing 20 extra kg's of soaked dead cow.

Grumpy
29th April 2005, 13:14
If I'm riding in winter and it's freezing and wet.... I really don't give a fuck what other people think I look like. Buy textile!

Lou Girardin
29th April 2005, 13:16
Another downside of textiles- you can't do track days.

Who says?
(have another few characters)

sels1
29th April 2005, 13:28
"I used ti think you were fuckin' cool man, now you have turned into BMW man or something?"

:Oi: :Oi: :Oi: :D

Mind you - I get better service at the cafe' and I'm warm...
Paul N

Function is ahead of image in my book

TonyB
29th April 2005, 13:38
Who says?

Motorcycling Canterbury (?? I think- not sure on that one) Trust me, down here you can't do a track day with out LEATHERS. No textiles allowed, no matter what brand or what they cost you. Perhaps a bit unfair to tar all textiles with the same brush, but that's the policy.

(have another few characters) Thanks. The world needs more characters

Big Dave
29th April 2005, 13:44
Motorcycling Canterbury (?? I think- not sure on that one) Trust me, down here you can't do a track day with out LEATHERS. No textiles allowed, no matter what brand or what they cost you. Perhaps a bit unfair to tar all textiles with the same brush, but that's the policy.

They haven't used tar since Belstaffs were the go. I think it's 'hypora' these days.

There is no right answer really - It's like saying I want one pair of shoes that I can play sport in, wear to work and go out formal.

I've got 3 riding suits - (hey! I'm a pwofessional) Leather is better for some applications, textile for others. I've even got a reasonably styley arlen ness jacket that is a combination of the two.
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/rod.jpg

Horses for courses - My advice - Textile is more versatile and get leather when affordable.

Lou Girardin
29th April 2005, 14:28
Thanks. The world needs more characters

That explains it. It's the Cantabrian attachment to cute animals.
Isn't wearing dead cow necrophilia in those parts?

Paul in NZ
29th April 2005, 14:34
That explains it. It's the Cantabrian attachment to cute animals.
Isn't wearing dead cow necrophilia in those parts?

Only applies to certain 'parts' of the cow, where (on the body) you are wearing it and then only if it's still warm Lou...

Cheers

awd
29th April 2005, 15:22
Got both leather and cordura and used them for everything; commuting, touring and day to day transport. Barring offs, cordura is definitely more cost effective, but I don't think anywhere near as comfortable as decent leathers. I use a rain suit for heavy showers when I'm in the leathers, but for lighter rain I've never got wet in either.

Either way, the road is always more important to me. :niceone:

T.I.E
29th April 2005, 15:43
interesting. look like a fag or a hog, dam what a choice.

you guys make it so easy.

leathers never kept me dry when it rained, and if they did were they really leathers?
leathers look good,
feel good

non leathers
practicle
warmer
drier
feels good

and protection well shit everyone will tell ya different but hard plastic foam armour plating, dam sorry leather guys.

if i want to go for a real ride trip well no question.

but if your going non leathers get the reall good stuff not the cheaper shit.

Slipstream
29th April 2005, 15:54
Well I like leather jackets but the leather pants I've seen in all the Motorcycle stores around don't look so great. For me yes, it's about safety _and_ looks.
So it fits well and it's got all the safety features...but does it look good?
If ya gonna spend a lot of money on gear you wanna make sure it's got everything you want right?
Took me ages to find a helmet that I really liked.

I found this website which at least has many different options about leathers
http://www.leathercat.com/

and this bit is for da laddies ;)
http://www.leathercat.com/leather_mens_gstrings.html

But from what I've seen in NZ so far. Which addmittly is that much...yet ;) ... I'm starting to become very fond of the RJays selection :niceone: They also have colour :Punk:

pommie girl
29th April 2005, 15:56
Ok, so question showing that I know bugger all about this... but does leather wear better and offer more protection in a crash situation?

I've got leather pants but a textile jacket - the pants have been great, if a little warm during the summer months and during the occasional downpour I've remained pretty much dry....

Should I be looking at a leather jacket option as well? What's the benefit?

Coyote
29th April 2005, 15:59
DON'T BUY ARMOUR-TECH LEATHERS!!!! I got the $500 1 piece suit, the right leg was torn open, and need to get it stiched up

If I was sliding on the tarmac much longer, I might've got some nasty road rash

jazbug5
29th April 2005, 17:03
Oh my god!!!!!!!!!

Slipstream, dear- are you quite well? PT? Particularly worrying is the guy with the Honcho moustache and bright orange foundation. I'm guessing he'll be modelling the leather chaps and.. well, just those, really.
Scary stuff. Like what Dolly Parton would wear if she was going to get a bike... 20 years ago..

*shiver*

Slipstream
29th April 2005, 17:09
Oh my god!!!!!!!!!

Slipstream, dear- are you quite well? PT? Particularly worrying is the guy with the Honcho moustache and bright orange foundation. I'm guessing he'll be modelling the leather chaps and.. well, just those, really.
Scary stuff. Like what Dolly Parton would wear if she was going to get a bike... 20 years ago..

*shiver*

The leather tassled chaps (:lol:) were more ... intriguing (sp?) But the manly men in the G-Strings...*shiver* wonder if they added a sport sock or 3 :laugh:

Big Dave
29th April 2005, 17:28
I'm guessing he'll be modelling the leather chaps and.. well, just those, really.

*shiver*

http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/bad_ass.jpg
Sometimes i long for a less PC world - sometimes I don't.

I have a collection of ads like these - handy when I start taking it all too seriously.

Slipstream
29th April 2005, 17:35

Damn thats hot :killingme

Motu
29th April 2005, 17:43
So it fits well and it's got all the safety features...but does it look good?

You need to ask guys that?

Could you wipe that spittle off my chin?

Slipstream
29th April 2005, 17:57
You need to ask guys that?

Nah...cos everytime you ask "does my arse look fat in these pants?"
they reply " No it's your arse that makes your arse look fat in those pants"

:whistle:

TwoSeven
29th April 2005, 18:03
I have a frank thomas jacket I brought in 1987 (synthetic). Coped with the worst england had to throw at it - both gravel and weather. Still going strong. Not long thrown out my rucka jacket tho - that was probably another 5 or so years older.

Dont really think much of leather for general city riding.

Kickaha
29th April 2005, 20:09
Nah...cos everytime you ask "does my arse look fat in these pants?"

:whistle:

They reply I can't tell it's blocking out all the available light :msn-wink:

pommie girl
29th April 2005, 22:18
Oh. My. God.

I'm going to have nightmares for weeks!!

scumdog
30th April 2005, 00:03
The leather tassled chaps (:lol:) were more ... intriguing (sp?) But the manly men in the G-Strings...*shiver* wonder if they added a sport sock or 3 :laugh:

You mean you CAN buy leather tassled chaps? Boy! have I ever missed out!

Lead me to 'em :D

250learna
30th April 2005, 00:57

WOW, now i know what i want to be like when i grow up! :laugh:

Toast
30th April 2005, 10:49

and try not to elbow yourself in the chest with hard elbow armor... its not good.... take my word for it.

Honestly, how the hell do you elbow yourself in the chest? You must have some kind of funky shoulder joint there. I tried it but it's just not going to happen...

idb
30th April 2005, 11:12

So.....you're gonna look a dork whatever you wear...?

Jantar
30th April 2005, 11:13

I must assume Lou that you have never tried good leather gear. September last year, a 300 km ride to Bruce Bay (West Coast South Island) with the Chatto Creek MC and rain all the way form Hawea onwards. 60 riders almost evenly split in the type of gear they were wearing. Most of those who had synthetic riding gear arrived at Bruce Bay wet through and all were showing some signs of dampness. Most of those with leather gear arrived still dry with only a few showing any signs of dampness getting through.

I wore a two piece leather suit (lined) and leather gloves with a strip of gortex along the back as a breathable membrane. The only place I got wet was in the gloves. My wife (Pillion) wore my 20 year old unlined one piece suit (for some reason it doesn't fit me any more) and she found that one seam was starting to seep after about 2 hours in the rain. After almost 3 hours in the rain when we arrived at Bruce Bay there was a little dampness coming through the one piece, while my two piece was still dry inside.

We do treat the leather regularly with bee's wax to keep it supple and water proof. :yes:

idb
30th April 2005, 11:22
I must assume Lou that you have never tried good leather gear. September last year, a 300 km ride to Bruce Bay (West Coast South Island) with the Chatto Creek MC and rain all the way form Hawea onwards. 60 riders almost evenly split in the type of gear they were wearing. Most of those who had synthetic riding gear arrived at Bruce Bay wet through and all were showing some signs of dampness. Most of those with leather gear arrived still dry with only a few showing any signs of dampness getting through.

I wore a two piece leather suit (lined) and leather gloves with a strip of gortex along the back as a breathable membrane. The only place I got wet was in the gloves. My wife (Pillion) wore my 20 year old unlined one piece suit (for some reason it doesn't fit me any more) and she found that one seam was starting to seep after about 2 hours in the rain. After almost 3 hours in the rain when we arrived at Bruce Bay there was a little dampness coming through the one piece, while my two piece was still dry inside.

We do treat the leather regularly with bee's wax to keep it supple and water proof. :yes:

Agree...been wearing leather for 20 years (yes Scumdog, I take them off in the bath) and if you keep them waxed I'd be surprised if anything could be as versatile. I have never owned wet weather gear.