PDA

View Full Version : Wellington: Wellington Group 23rd November

matthewt
2nd November 2003, 19:41
For all the Wellington group, I've heard that on the 23rd they are closing off one of the roads over the hill and are doing time trails. Last year they did standing 1/4 times as well as flying 1/4 times (with proper timing lights and they also had a radar gun for top speed at the end of the flying runs).

Anyone interested in going ?? From memory the cost was $35 for the day. Not bad considering what you're allowed to do :niceone:

There was a www site somewhere but I can't seem to find it. This was on a few weeks ago but cancelled because of the weather.

I went last year and it's a great deal of fun. If we get a group sorted we could head over to Martinbrough for breakfast and then head out the the time trials.

Blink
3rd November 2003, 16:35
sounds awesome, would definately be keen to see some of the big bikes heading down the flying 1/4

:D

matthewt
3rd November 2003, 16:42
There's ample space to park up when you're there and watch it all. But if you're going then why not enter ?? Last year they had bikes of all sorts, it's just an excuse to go flat out without having to worry about your license ;)

All the runs were done 1 bike at a time (much safer) so don't feel you'll end up competing with one of the bigger bikes.

wkid_one
4th November 2003, 19:06
I'll be there doing the hill sprint.

The sprints WERE on 4 weeks ago at the East by West Access Road for the standing and flying quarter mile.

The hill will be good - I have the website at home and will post when I get back to Wellington

matthewt
5th November 2003, 09:12
Originally posted by wkid_one
I'll be there doing the hill sprint.

OK, now I'm confused. Is the 23rd the Hill-sprint (at gladstone I think) or the closed road session ?? I thought it was the reschedule of the cloased road on the east-west access.

wkid_one
5th November 2003, 16:12
The closed road wasn't rescheduled - it ran on the day.  I think they are running both

mangell6
8th November 2003, 15:17
Even though I won't be here, I checked the web site and it is sprints that are on the 23rd of November 2003.

http://www.cdd.co.nz/sprint/sprint.htm

If you want to do the hill climb you will have to keep practiceing until April 2004.

http://www.cdd.co.nz/hillclimb.htm

Mike

matthewt
19th November 2003, 15:50
Is anyone else doing this ???

It starts from 8:30am so I guess we could meet at the U/Hutt Caltex at 8am. However if the weather is crap I reserve the right to stay in bed !!

wkid_one
19th November 2003, 18:16
I'll be going over to watch on Sunday - will see you there

Blink
19th November 2003, 20:36
bike still in shop :< so thats me out.

someone take some pics :)

bungbung
20th November 2003, 15:37
I'm going to be in Auckland for a few days starting Saturday morn. Dang it.

LB
21st November 2003, 18:01
Hi guys. We'll be heading to the e-riders breakfast then going to the sprints. The weather forecast isn't too bad for Sunday. Last time (late September) Tony Sampson from Masterton on his K3 GSXR1000 got fastest both flying and standing - flying top speed was something like 276kph, standing was something like 10.13. However there were VERY strong cross-winds, so given better conditions he'd really be hiking!

Lynda

merv
21st November 2003, 18:07
Going well Lynda you're up to 8 posts with that last one. Won't be long and you'll make Moped Rider status. See you Sunday.

matthewt
21st November 2003, 19:15
Originally posted by Lynda Blair
Hi guys. We'll be heading to the e-riders breakfast then going to the sprints.

I'll see you at the sprints then. I was thinking of doing the breakfast thing with you guys but I probably don't have much time in the afternoon so I'll make the most of the morning.

wkid_one
21st November 2003, 22:36
How sad&nbsp;- was looking at giving Tony a race for his money on Sunday - now just have to be content with watching

LB
23rd November 2003, 05:58
er - weather's not quite as good as it was supposed to be, but Hamish has talked me into taking the bikes. See you there guys (around 11am after breakfast - pancakes, bacon, banana and maple syrup here I come!!!)

Lynda

merv
23rd November 2003, 19:20
How sad&nbsp;- was looking at giving Tony a race for his money on Sunday

Shame, would've been good to see if you could beat this guy.

merv
23rd November 2003, 19:25
Originally posted by Lynda Blair
er - weather's not quite as good as it was supposed to be, but Hamish has talked me into taking the bikes. See you there guys (around 11am after breakfast - pancakes, bacon, banana and maple syrup here I come!!!)

Lynda

Luckily you can't believe the forecasters. Great ride team. You'd already sussed the menu too huh. I'd only had lunch there before.

merv
23rd November 2003, 19:27
Where's Wkid?

matthewt
23rd November 2003, 20:52
Damm !!

I didn't even see you sneek that photo !!

In all I managed 12 runs, 8 flying and 4 standing. Fastest of the day was the 2003 gsxr1000. CK will be pleased to know another of the Alstare 600's was out there doing VERY well.

LB
24th November 2003, 05:02
Thanx for the photos Merv - great one of you Matt!

It was a good day - boy was Tony (GSXR1000K3) flying, it's amazing sitting on the banking watching him come past at 280+ (I believe over the flying 1/4 he averaged 289kph).

The Alstare Suzuki was ridden by James from Wgtn Motorcycles.

Chocolate fish award of the day goes to the guy on the MV F4 (not you Matt) who almost lost it in the standing 1/4's - ended up in the grass, but didn't biff it. Phew!

Well done to the Wairarapa boys for organising the event. It was good to see they got 38 entries.

Oh, and the bacon/banana/maple syrup pancakes at Wild Oats were up to their usual standard.

Lynda

wkid_one
24th November 2003, 06:40
Couldn't be bothered - weather looked dodge and after last time - this drastically affected numbers.&nbsp; Plus - driving out to the East/West Access Rd in a car is boring

merv
24th November 2003, 12:26
Couldn't be bothered; Plus - driving out to the East/West Access Rd in a car is boring

You are starting to sound like you you are in your slippers and dressing gown already waiting for your Horlicks.

You could try racing the car on the road like you described your biking habits just so long as you weren't doing it when I was going in the opposite direction.

wkid_one
24th November 2003, 13:19
Nah - work car is an auto - not much fun to drive like a race - plus with only 6000km on the clock I have already dinged it down the whole drivers side - trying not to tempt fate.&nbsp; Thing is gutless and slow - bores me but slows me down.

If I have my way, I will have a new toy that will permit such shenanigans on the road......so be warned bikers who use the WHOLE road.&nbsp;

PS - how do you know what I wear and do on a sunday?

merv
24th November 2003, 19:30
plus with only 6000km on the clock I have already dinged it down the whole drivers side

Man you are good at what you do. I guess it comes from experience.

merv
24th November 2003, 19:33
Anyone want to see all the photos I took yesterday go to my website at http://bikemerv.topcities.com/ and follow the links through Photo Index and then Road Rides.

wkid_one
24th November 2003, 20:41
I have the vid of Tony doing the flying on the GSXR - wicked sound.

Coldkiwi
19th January 2004, 12:14
Damm !!

I didn't even see you sneek that photo !!

In all I managed 12 runs, 8 flying and 4 standing. Fastest of the day was the 2003 gsxr1000. CK will be pleased to know another of the Alstare 600's was out there doing VERY well.

question for ya's.... that GSXR600, was it stock? I had mine at Puke on Friday and it was pretty much topping out at 250-253 down the back straight. 261 on those timing sheets sounds pretty damn fast compared to that.
so a) was it a tail wind (or did I have a slight head wind)
or B) did he have a new pipe on it + double bubble screen
or c) has the guy who rode it got skinnier legs than me?

wkid_one
19th January 2004, 12:38
or c) has the guy who rode it got skinnier legs than me? (d) is (c) humanly possible

Supposed Top Speed for the bike is 158.8mph, with the CBR/RR being 162, R6 being 158, ZX6 158.5,

http://www.600supersport.com/reviews/sportrider_2003_shootout.htm

LB
19th January 2004, 18:43
question for ya's.... that GSXR600, was it stock? I had mine at Puke on Friday and it was pretty much topping out at 250-253 down the back straight. 261 on those timing sheets sounds pretty damn fast compared to that.
so a) was it a tail wind (or did I have a slight head wind)
or B) did he have a new pipe on it + double bubble screen
or c) has the guy who rode it got skinnier legs than me?

CK: the guy on the Alstare is James Mair from Wellington Motorcycles (he's one of the salesmen there). You could always email him @ sales@wmcc.co.nz
to ask him. Bear in mind that he had well over a kilometre of run-up before the flying quarter timing started, and I think he had a slight tail wind.

Lynda