PDA

View Full Version : long ride gear

pyrocam
29th April 2005, 15:25
Never been on a long ride before, just wondering what I should pack etc.
about 180k there and 180k back. (this thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11425) )

in regards to threads. I have two options.

1) super mega protection
shorts t-shirt
old racing leathers which are really really right and uncomfortable (like give me a camel-toe tight)
then cordura pants and dririder jacket on top of that. and work style boots (I cant fit the racing boots I got)

2) good protection
Jeans, T-Shirt, Cordura pants, Dririder jacket, work boots, and if its cold Ill use a wool turtle neck.

my bike does 200k a tank give or take so Id like to take a small container although I dont have any of petrol.
fill up the oil before I go.

and. usual smokes, snacks, water.
oh and a sortof map thing (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=225504&postcount=23)

oh and I might fashion myself the smoking attachment (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=223915&postcount=36)

James Deuce
29th April 2005, 15:31
Don't forget a truss.

bungbung
29th April 2005, 15:32
Don't forget a truss.

Rupture is avoidable

bugjuice
dude, you're going for a ride, not a camp over..
ride in what you're comfortable riding in, but always be the best protected. Option 2 is fine, option 1 is a tad over-kill, and you'll be sweating by the time you get anywhere. And you wouldn't need jeans under Cordura pants, you'll cook some more!

Remember that things change when you start riding. Things cool down as you move, so if you're stood around too hot, then you might be ok during the ride, unless you start to get physical on the bike, then you'll warm up again. If you're stood around too cold, ain't gonna get much better on the ride. I'll be in what I'm always in - Cordura pants and jacket (with liners back in :(), t-shirt underneath, boots, lid n gloves.

the ride is about ~130ks from where we meet at Paps to the BP at the other end

Ixion
about 180k there and 180k back. (this thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11425) )

in regards to threads. I have two options.

1) super mega protection
shorts t-shirt
old racing leathers which are really really right and uncomfortable (like give me a camel-toe tight)
then cordura pants and dririder jacket on top of that. and work style boots (I cant fit the racing boots I got)

2) good protection
Jeans, T-Shirt, Cordura pants, Dririder jacket, work boots, and if its cold Ill use a wool turtle neck.

my bike does 200k a tank give or take so Id like to take a small container although I dont have any of petrol.
fill up the oil before I go.

and. usual smokes, snacks, water.
oh and a sortof map thing (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=225504&postcount=23)

2 hours out 2 back , max ? Decently maintained bike you shouldn't need anything . I can't be bothered taking tyre change gear nowdays. I'm sure I will regret that before long. Why don't bikes have spare wheels.

Always a good map. Cellphone just in case. Gear depends on the weather. If it's cold and wet take a change of socks. Hate than having to come home in wet feet. You didn't mention gloves ? An oversight I presume?

Hardly worth carting snacks for such a short trip. Your first stop will be your destination, buy something there.

bungbung
29th April 2005, 15:34
Rupture is avoidable

Although resign yourself to the fate after 360km on an RG150 unless you're 4ft tall.

Wolf
29th April 2005, 15:36
If you're going near desert road at night, wear an army-surplus greatcoat over everything, thermal (polypropylene) underwear, multiple layers of socks and carry a reflective survival blanket and fire-lighting gear. Also take a thermos of hot soup because I don't think the Waiuru residents have discovered "hot food" yet - fucking morons! They make Taihape into a beacon of civilisation.

Badcat
29th April 2005, 15:39
2 hours out 2 back , max ? Decently maintained bike you shouldn't need anything . I can't be bothered taking tyre change gear nowdays. I'm sure I will regret that before long. Why don't bikes have spare wheels.

they do - they're called vespas

pyrocam
29th April 2005, 15:40
ok whats a truss?

re jeans under my cordura. um. my pants are kinda. *cough* aquired from an insurance claim salvage when I was a claims handler. and they are about 2 sizes to big by themselves. jeans make them at least feel not too baggy.

yeah I had to put liners in a week ago. but I love it with them in now. so comfy. feel like I could come of and have a pleasent float down the road :)

helmet and gloves.
brand new HJC kast cl-14 (side rant: I was gonna buy an arai but at motomail _NONE_ of them fit me, and then NONE of the expensive HJC's fit me either. so I got pissed of and went back to the local (colemans :) ) and splashed out for a $350 HJC. I really wanted a $600 on finance but oh well)

but I am wondering about gloves. My original gloves which are really nice are have a big fattie of a hole in the palm of the right hand. with the recent cold Ive started to wear snow gloves. super comfy but less movement. and proberly no protection value whatsoever

Although resign yourself to the fate after 360km on an RG150 unless you're 4ft tall.
um. really confused.

oh and lastly. I get a sore arse after a decent (hour) ride. proberly dude to my arse being too fat for the seat. or the low quality of the seat. is there ways to 'protect' myself ther?

Ixion
29th April 2005, 15:41
If you're going near desert road at night, wear an army-surplus greatcoat over everything, thermal (polypropylene) underwear, multiple layers of socks and carry a reflective survival blanket and fire-lighting gear. Also take a thermos of hot soup because I don't think the Waiuru residents have discovered "hot food" yet - fucking morons! They make Taihape into a beacon of civilisation.

I can't help thinking that it ought to be possible to utilise the water cooling systems of modern bikes to good purpose, for heating food/ keeping warm. Maybe an oldfashioned rubber hot water bottle and drain the radiator into it. Heat exchanger? Unfortunately the radiator fulid is poisonous (isn't it ?) so there goes the idea of dried soup mix.

I once experimented with trying to heat a (cold - bloody crooked shopkeeper) meat pie up by tucking it into the crevices of a Velo head and running the engine fast for a while. Didn't work very well.

Ixion
29th April 2005, 15:43
[QUOTE=pyrocam]ok whats a truss?

../QUOTE]

Oh boy. I am so not going anywhere near this one ! :o

Mr Honda, you're a nurse , you explain

pyrocam
29th April 2005, 15:45

../QUOTE]

I suspect you dont mean
http://www.texbrick.com/ideas/truss/fig1.jpg

T.I.E
29th April 2005, 15:47
i have to say i always carry a first aid kit, to use on myself or others.

if i was stuck somewhere i would hope that somone would have a kit to help fix me up.

if not i have one.

io have also helped other accident people from it. they are small (depeneds on what ya want) but however the price does vary.

but worth looking into.

Badcat
29th April 2005, 15:47
but I am wondering about gloves. My original gloves which are really nice are have a big fattie of a hole in the palm of the right hand. with the recent cold Ive started to wear snow gloves. super comfy but less movement. and proberly no protection value whatsoever

man - in the cold and wet, gloves are the difference between a good ride and a shithouse ride IMHO.
you're right - the ski gloves will be useless in an accident.

you DO NOT WANT A HAND INJURY

i broke my thumb off road when i was twenty.
it took 6 months to be strong enough to really use it.
i have some spool hard knuckle race gloves for summer and some non-brand kevlar winter gloves - money well spent.
k

bungbung
29th April 2005, 15:49

../QUOTE]

Google 'truss rupture'

James Deuce
29th April 2005, 15:50
http://www.etrode.com/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/18041

pyrocam
29th April 2005, 15:52
OH :no:

:killingme

bugjuice
29th April 2005, 15:53
ooo kinky..

pyrocam
29th April 2005, 16:11
snow gloves or leather gloves with a big hole and no wind/rain protection?

bear
29th April 2005, 16:14
snow gloves or leather gloves with a big hole and no wind/rain protection?

Option c - new m/c gloves with no holes.

Where do you find out about these things Jim2?

pyrocam
29th April 2005, 16:16
I got $50 till the 15th of next month. not incuding my brothers 'leaving the country' party sat night.

so new gloves are out of the question alas

Mencius
29th April 2005, 16:34
I got $50 till the 15th of next month. not incuding my brothers 'leaving the country' party sat night.

Woo friggin' hoo!

There IS someone worse off than me!

Sorry Pyro, don't mean to take joy in your poorness, but you make me look well off!

Ang

James Deuce
29th April 2005, 16:39

How big are your hands dude?

Lou Girardin
29th April 2005, 16:40

I might have some old gloves you can have, what's your size?

pyrocam
29th April 2005, 16:52
ahmm medium?
technically
17cm from wrist to birdie finger
9cm across base of fingers
9cm long longest finger.

see pic

the right glove has the bigarse hole. the left only has a few small holes (stupid rough bits on my bike) so if anyones got an old leather right glove?

pyrocam
29th April 2005, 16:56
Woo friggin' hoo!

There IS someone worse off than me!

Sorry Pyro, don't mean to take joy in your poorness, but you make me look well off!

Ang

haha no worries mate!
I have a secret plan though. because I flat with 3 other guys and Im the richest (normally) I am the 'bill-master' yes i did make that up myself and I can tell everyone to pay me the phone bill now. and just pay the bill on the 15th. thats like. another $150 to fiddle with.

I hate monthly pay :(

James Deuce
29th April 2005, 16:57
ahmm medium?
technically
17cm from wrist to birdie finger
9cm across base of fingers
9cm long longest finger.

see pic

the right glove has the bigarse hole. the left only has a few small holes (stupid rough bits on my bike) so if anyones got an old leather right glove?
You're a funny guy.

What SIZE are your GLOVES?

pyrocam
29th April 2005, 17:01
You're a funny guy.

What SIZE are your GLOVES?

I dont know. I didnt even know they had standard sizes. (that sounds really stupid again. and I forgot to use the [stupid] tags :(the comfy snow gloves I haev are L. I guess thats right. I might fit a ML

James Deuce
29th April 2005, 17:03
Bugger. I have some XLs you could have had for free, but they'll definitely be too big for you looking at that pic.

Mencius
29th April 2005, 17:09
haha no worries mate!
I have a secret plan though. because I flat with 3 other guys and Im the richest (normally) I am the 'bill-master' yes i did make that up myself and I can tell everyone to pay me the phone bill now. and just pay the bill on the 15th. thats like. another $150 to fiddle with.

I hate monthly pay :(

Damn, you win! I am also the 'bill-master', but I live on my own, d'oh!

Monthly pay sucks arse. Still, only 21 days to pay day....

Ang

Lou Girardin
29th April 2005, 17:24
I dont know. I didnt even know they had standard sizes. (that sounds really stupid again. and I forgot to use the [stupid] tags :(the comfy snow gloves I haev are L. I guess thats right. I might fit a ML

I'll bring the gloves into AMPS tomorrow, open 9 till 2, come in and check them out.

pyrocam
29th April 2005, 17:31
I'll bring the gloves into AMPS tomorrow, open 9 till 2, come in and check them out.

I have to be in drury at 10 tomorow. will you/they be there at 9?

oh.
and.
whats AMPS?

*edit. Freaking thanks a bucketload btw!

Big Dave
29th April 2005, 19:55

oh.
and.
whats AMPS?

http://www.amps.co.nz
Try not to dribble too much crossing the showroom - it takes me ages sometimes. A finer selection of new motorcycles is hard to imagine.

Lou is the funny lookin' one near the accessories.
This is him - the KB champoin of Gortex :msn-wink:
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/lou.jpg

Pickle
29th April 2005, 20:21
Wear Ear plugs - you will feel better at the end of your ride.
Visor cleaner - you may want to see where you are going as it is South of the Bombays :laugh:

crashe
29th April 2005, 20:32
oh and lastly. I get a sore arse after a decent (hour) ride. proberly dude to my arse being too fat for the seat. or the low quality of the seat. is there ways to 'protect' myself ther?

To make the seat nice and comfy.... tie on a sheepskin onto the seat area... then your butt wont feel so bad....
Mind you the sheepskin is only good if it aint raining...lol

Come on harden up lad....lol.... the more you ride the better your butt will be...

Shit I just rode 5 1/2 hours from Hasting to Auckland on Monday.... only had stops for refuel and pitstops.... and a quick cuppa in Hamilton... and my butt wasnt sore at all.

So what you need to do is lots of longer rides rather than lots of short rides.

PZR
29th April 2005, 20:47
Come on harden up lad.... the more you ride the better your butt will be...

Yeah I'm with him.
Harden up Mate. Just go and ride the damn thing. Yes it would be a lot better if you could afford decent safety gear no doubt about it but if you do not have the money then you dont. Just go ride that beast and enjoy yourself. You will soon learn what works and what doesn't. Who here remembers the crap we all rode in when we were young. We certainly could not even buy a fraction of what is available nowdays but it did not stop us. Go for it:niceone:
Take a back pack to store anything extra you think you need or may need to take off. You will soon learn from experiance

XTC
29th April 2005, 21:27
Yeah I'm with him.
Harden up Mate. Just go and ride the damn thing. Yes it would be a lot better if you could afford decent safety gear no doubt about it but if you do not have the money then you dont. Just go ride that beast and enjoy yourself. You will soon learn what works and what doesn't. Who here remembers the crap we all rode in when we were young. We certainly could not even buy a fraction of what is available nowdays but it did not stop us. Go for it:niceone:
Take a back pack to store anything extra you think you need or may need to take off. You will soon learn from experiance
Cripes not sure whether i was ever young :). I remember riding my Honda C50 back from dargaville one night in my army surplus jacket jeans and a cut up 2L coke bottle for a visor on my old smelly mach 1 helmet :o Froze my arse off... Got some news paper and shoved it inside my jacket, that helped a little. Poor little 50cc only did 70kmh and that was down hill :laugh: Still have fond memories of that bike and the 5 trips to dargaville and back to auckland on it. I used to wonder what the white line would look like at 100kmh...:o

Hitcher
29th April 2005, 22:34
about 180k there and 180k back.
You call that a long ride? We call that going to lunch...

Take a cellphone and something to keep you dry if it rains. And some money for gas and lunch.

And remember to enjoy yourself.

Zed
29th April 2005, 22:45
Lou is the funny lookin' one near the accessories. This is him - the KB champoin of Gortex :msn-wink:
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/lou.jpg Hey that IS Lou!! Mr Triumph '04 was it? :D

Zed
29th April 2005, 22:52
Come on harden up lad....lol.... the more you ride the better your butt will be...

Shit I just rode 5 1/2 hours from Hasting to Auckland on Monday.... only had stops for refuel and pitstops.... and a quick cuppa in Hamilton... and my butt wasnt sore at all.
You are comparing the nice comfy, padded, laid back seat of the Virago to the stiff 5mm foam thick slab seat of his RGV150 remember Ms crashe...try riding that back from Hastings and you probably wouldn't get out of bed the next day? :spudbn:

Jackrat
29th April 2005, 23:04
Don't wear cotton against your skin if your going anywhere cold.
It drains the heat from you like you wouldn't belive,and you won't know till it's to late.Other than that just wear what you always do,an carry the tool kit you always do.
My undies come from Stoney creek,good stuff that :niceone:

LB
30th April 2005, 06:24
I have several different sorts of undies.

When it's cold I wear Icebreaker undies - several different layers of tops (differing thicknesses) and a pair of longjohns.

I also have a couple of pair of Ducati undies (well, they're Ducati red anyway).

I don't wear a truss though I do have several in the ceiling of the gargre.

Make sure your clothing is comfortable ie not bunched up under your armpits or cutting off circulation.

Stop at a gargre to warm up if you're starting to get cold.
:cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold:

Bubble wrap under your jacket will act as a kind of insulation. ( © Jantar )
Might look funny but then who's going to see it? Even if they do, who gives a shit?

Safe riding, and enjoy. And make sure you let us know how you go.

(Back in the dark old ages when I started riding, I remember riding from Hamilton to Rotorua (what would it be, about 100kms??!!!) was a REALLY BIG DEAL!!!!)

Firefight
30th April 2005, 07:55
havn,t go time to read all this shit, leaving work now for a ride, have put spare pair of gloves in back pack, if they fit you can have them, will meet your group later in the am, somewhere on 22.

F/F

Will
30th April 2005, 08:02
Shit I just rode 5 1/2 hours from Hasting to Auckland on Monday.... only had stops for refuel and pitstops.... and a quick cuppa in Hamilton...

Just hijacking the thread a bit here.

Crashe, we did that to on Monday. But we left Napier. Had a two hour stop in Taupo (BBQ with mates) and then on up thru Whakamaru, go straight thru a tight corner, just before a cafe, cut across country and come out at Tihiroa, on up to Pirongia for a cuppa and then home.

We didn't have any trouble with the snow, :cold: just out of Napier. :cold: More hassles with all the speed cameras and cops though. :mad:

Otherwise we had a great ride. :niceone:

Lou Girardin
30th April 2005, 08:52

oh.
and.
whats AMPS?

Sorry, forgot to check the site last night, I'm at work now,AMPS=Auckland M/Cycles and Powersports, Khyber Pass.

Lou Girardin
30th April 2005, 08:55
http://www.amps.co.nz
Try not to dribble too much crossing the showroom - it takes me ages sometimes. A finer selection of new motorcycles is hard to imagine.

Lou is the funny lookin' one near the accessories.
This is him - the KB champoin of Gortex :msn-wink:
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/lou.jpg

You arsehole! Fancy publishing that and identifying it too. The next press bike you take will have Coke for brake fluid. :ar15:

crashe
30th April 2005, 09:00
Just hijacking the thread a bit here.

Crashe, we did that to on Monday. But we left Napier. Had a two hour stop in Taupo (BBQ with mates) and then on up thru Whakamaru, go straight thru a tight corner, just before a cafe, cut across country and come out at Tihiroa, on up to Pirongia for a cuppa and then home.

We didn't have any trouble with the snow, :cold: just out of Napier. :cold: More hassles with all the speed cameras and cops though. :mad:

Otherwise we had a great ride. :niceone:

I left Hastings at 12.45pm...... The snow was right down to the side of the road.. not actually on it.... but the windys were a tad slippery so I went slowwwww throu that section. Once I got throu all the windys I didnt see no more snow... There was a bunch of cars all stopped and the people were all outside chucking the snow around.... :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold:

I saw 2 riders on red sports bikes headng back to Napier.... (napier side)
another couple indivual riders further up towards Taupo side....
Another rider flashed at me just before heading into Putaruru (cops) Thanks who ever you were.

I saw a cop on the Napier/Taupo Rd going to Napier and one heading back to Taupo. Saw a few more that had stopped cars on the way back to Auckland.

But Speed Camera's... never saw no van on the side of the road....

Once I got into Taupo and got the gloves etc off and moved around I was able to warm up....

As the Napier side was flaming bitter cold. My hands and legs were frozen.

Will
30th April 2005, 09:15
We left Napier about 10 am. Six sport/tourers, with a couple of pillions.

Had to keep in the wheel tracks at the top, because there was snow on the road. But had no problems.

It was bloody cold :cold: Stopped at the Summit Cafe (which is not the highest part of the road) to chat with other bikers and swap notes on where the hazards, cops were. And throw some snowballs too, of course.

There were 2 camera vans working the straights near Taupo, plus one mufti and one marked HP. Obviously moved on by the time you came through.

We had a great weekend away.

Big Dave
30th April 2005, 10:01
You arsehole! Fancy publishing that and identifying it too. The next press bike you take will have Coke for brake fluid. :ar15:

Make it diet and yer on. I thought it was a nice photo! tis gone.