PDA

View Full Version : computer geeks - please help!

headlesschicken
11th December 2009, 11:24
So I bought a new laptop a couple of weeks ago to replace my circa 2002 model nec versa. it was overheating lots and just not up to spec anymore. but it was functioning ok. a couple of days ago i booted it up and tried to open my documents but it froze badly, couldn't use task manager etc. so i shut it down. now I get a dos type screen on startup telling me windows isn't starting properly and what do i want to do. none of the options will do anything bar last known good configuration but that just takes me to a blank screen. and when the timer on the bottom runs out nothing happens either. i have some rather important data on it that i'd like to retrieve at least before i throw it away. i didnt run any antivirus protection but i've learn't which links not to click on etc and worst case probably have some spyware onboard. any advice before i take it to a computer shop would be great. TIA.
P.s sorry about the crappy picture but i figure if you know computers you'll know what the messages are anyway

riffer
11th December 2009, 11:26
Oh. My Pc does that sometimes when it hasn't been stopped properly.

Just start Windows normally and she'll be right.

headlesschicken
11th December 2009, 11:33
Oh. My Pc does that sometimes when it hasn't been stopped properly.

Just start Windows normally and she'll be right.

nothing happens when i select that option. as with all the rest. although i did somehow manage to get a list of system32 commands popping up??

jim.cox
11th December 2009, 11:35
nothing happens when i select that option. as with all the rest. although i did somehow manage to get a list of system32 commands popping up??

try starting in "safe mode"

does that work?

any messages?

then shutdown

then an ordinary start up

Let us know how you get on

Juzz976
11th December 2009, 11:39
You need a geek to go play with it.

First thing I would do though is take hdd out and backup onto a desktop. Could be a mission though as its different connector to desktops so maybe need an adapter. Then I'd just reinstall windows on the drive and slap myself for buying a laptop.

Or take to a shop

headlesschicken
11th December 2009, 11:41
try starting in "safe mode"

does that work?

any messages?

then shutdown

then an ordinary start up

Let us know how you get on

safe mode activated, this is the result. it hasn't done anymore

brendonjw
11th December 2009, 11:43
In safe mode what .sys file does it get up to before failing?

jim.cox
11th December 2009, 11:48

Oh Darn, Locking during boot like that suggests either a bad/corrupt driver or dead hardware....

brendonjw
11th December 2009, 11:53
Sad but true, last time i had to deal with a issue like this it was one of the RAM sticks that had died... none of the data on the HD was lost though, so dont throw it out just yet

jim.cox
11th December 2009, 11:55
Sad but true, last time i had to deal with a issue like this it was one of the RAM sticks that had died... none of the data on the HD was lost though, so dont throw it out just yet

If all you need is the data on the disk, and assuming the disk IS ok, you could put the disk into a usb enclosure and read it from your new machine.

scracha
11th December 2009, 12:07
If all you need is the data on the disk, and assuming the disk IS ok, you could put the disk into a usb enclosure and read it from your new machine.

Wot jim sez or on your new lappy, go to www.ubcd4win.org and burn a rescue CD or BartPE disk. If in doubt, take lappy to a geek who should have your data off it in a jiffy.

phaedrus
11th December 2009, 12:32

hit the last known good option.. it had saved me a couple of times while i used windows

firefighter
11th December 2009, 12:38
i have some rather important data on it that i'd like to retrieve at least before i throw it away. i didnt run any antivirus protection but i've learn't which links not to click on etc and worst case probably have some spyware onboard.

Which ATMs do you use?

I ca'nt believe that in 2009 I read that statement, via the internet.

My grandmother with dimentia has virus protection. :stupid:

Anyhow. I had similar issues with my old laptop, and luckily the info on my hard drive was retrieved, although my important stuff is backed up on my 1T HD and also on disc.

Maybe you should look into doing the same........oh, and get some anti virus software FFS. Christ you can just continually sign up to 30-day trials with AVG(AGV?) etc if your that dutch.

breakaway
11th December 2009, 13:17
AVG has a free edition that works okay for everyday use.

http://free.avg.com/au-en/homepage

Gremlin
11th December 2009, 13:22
As others have said, (assuming you know what you're doing.. if you don't, find yaself a geek), pull the hard drive out, plug it into a caddy and plug that into another computer... if you can't see the drive... then it looks like you've found out why the laptop won't boot... (ie... dead drive)

If you want to troubleshoot the specific cause, as someone else asked, whats the last line that shows when you try booting into safe mode? It will end with sys... and thats normally the file causing the problems.

breakaway
11th December 2009, 13:23
Actually you don't have to do any of that. Download a bootable OS cd (I recommend Knoppix), burn it, and load it up, and back up all your shit to a USB drive, and wipe everything and put it back. It'll be sweet.

Gremlin
11th December 2009, 13:24
Actually you don't have to do any of that. Download a bootable OS cd (I recommend Knoppix), burn it, and load it up, and back up all your shit to a USB drive, and wipe everything and put it back. It'll be sweet.
That assumes there isn't any hardware failure...

jim.cox
11th December 2009, 13:26

And that he's a Unix geek...

breakaway
11th December 2009, 13:32

I get this all the time. (I fix a lot of computers) More often than not its not hardware failure, just a courrupt file somewhere.

And that he's a Unix geek...

Not by a long shot :p Knoppix is very point and click.