PDA

View Full Version : Vinning and registering a classic?

Badcat
29th April 2005, 17:25
hi.
has anyone been through the process of re-registering a bike that's been off the road for 10 years?
i'm also going to extensively modify it...
i guess i'll have to get it examined by Onroad NZ - but they'll surely go spastic when they see it's totally different..
or do i need low volume certification?
can anyone shed a little light on this for me?

it's a 1979 XT500 if that's important....

help!!!

k

Flyingpony
29th April 2005, 17:53
I did some basic ground work for a project car 3yrs ago (haven't started it yet), and found that by going to the LTSA office and having a frank chat, you can easily find out what you must do, who you must see and in which order, before you even do anything. They're really helpful and will point you in the right directions.

Questions never hurt. Turning up with a modified bike and finding out you missed something, $$$

P.S. Write your questions down and remember to bring a clipboard, paper and pen. :doh:
(Forgot to do that, so I must go back when I start the project).

sAsLEX
29th April 2005, 18:01
if the frame has been registered before that is a step in the right direction, if it hasn your toast!!

Tried to get my xr on the road and because the frame number wasn on there system they couldn help me!

Badcat
29th April 2005, 18:49
thanks for your input guys.
keep it coming, team!

k

toycollector10
14th December 2008, 05:23
This website is a good place to start.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/vehicle-ownership/certification.html

I found Fiona Waititi to be great to deal with at LTNZ. She's the compliance officer or something there. Just don't spend any money before you know what direction you're heading in and have all your ducks lined up.

rudolph
14th December 2008, 21:02
Don't take NO for an awncer,

I am trying to get a home made car on the road, they can be fussy.