PDA

View Full Version : New toy

jrandom
3rd November 2003, 12:43
Well, we might as well have another gun thread :p

I succumbed to temptation on the weekend and bought one of these:

http://www.aztecguns.com/images/Rifles/M38.jpg

Naturally, it will be carried and used in my not-very-extensive anti-goat arsenal :D

It's a 1943-production Mosin Nagant model 38 carbine. Standard issue WW2 Russian infantry rifle. Shoots 7.62x54. All-original parts with matching factory serial numbers (although it has been restocked at some point with model 44 furniture). Must have spent a lot of the last 60 years sitting in grease, because the important shooty bits are absolutely mint.

The machining on the exterior faces however is quite literally the roughest I have *ever* seen on *anything*. But that just adds to the appeal, along with the little hammer and sickle above '1943' stamped on the receiver.

Apparently these guns have a reputation for shooting straight and being unbreakable, so I'm looking forward to taking it out. I haven't even fired the bloody thing yet. Wife and kids needing to be took shopping all weekend make it difficult to head off to the range... :ar15:

So Motoracer, if you need to issue some vintage Russkie smackdownage when you find the scrote that nicked your scoot, you just drop me a line, eh? :niceone:

SpankMe
3rd November 2003, 12:48
Very nice addition to your collection.

jrandom
3rd November 2003, 13:36
(picture attached for those having difficulty seeing the link in my post above)

Hoon
3rd November 2003, 14:14
7.62mm is a little extreme for goats I reckon but good on ya!!! :)

Wouldn't it be difficult finding rounds for that (being Russian/Chinese ammo) or do you load your own?

jrandom
3rd November 2003, 15:47
Originally posted by HO-Hoon

Wouldn't it be difficult finding rounds for that (being Russian/Chinese ammo) or do you load your own?

Hey man, there's no such thing as 'a little extreme' when it comes to guns... hit 'em hard and they fall down :p

As a matter of fact I'm at my wits end trying to locate cheap FMJ ammo in 7.62x54R - got some old Russian and Chinese stuff from the guy I bought the gun from, but the only thing the gun shops seem to stock is soft-tipped hunting ammo at $1.50 a round made in Poland or summat. Bugger that.

I think I'll be looking at reloading gear this week...

wkid_one
3rd November 2003, 16:28
WHAT - did you buy the rock or shoot it?

fritter
3rd November 2003, 16:33

Depends if you are gonna eat it/keep the hide or not. Used to shoot possums with my 44mag carbine - much better than a boring ol' 22.... they used to fly...

Jackrat
3rd November 2003, 21:07
Hey mate Iv,e got a Nagent as well,Take it out an shoot it at night,Very impressive mussle flash,big noise,things fall over.Keep the bayonet lug on it,they are sighted with it on,if you remove it they don,t shoot well. If you use ex military amo in it ,clean it real well as the stuff is corrosive.An don,t forget the MILITEC 1.
Remember good gun control is the ability to consistantly hit your target.An armed society is a polite society.
Praise the lord an pass the ammunition.
Cheers.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Racey Rider
4th November 2003, 07:21
Originally posted by fritter
Used to shoot possums with my 44mag carbine - much better than a boring ol' 22.... they used to fly...

And how many times did you miss that possum, (up a tree I prsume), and have the projectile go for miles before imbeding it's self in some tractor tyre, (or some bikers Diablo sports tyre, as the case may be)!:Oops: :argh: :whocares:

Jackrat
4th November 2003, 07:49
A 44mag is a pistol round also used in some rifles,normaly lever guns.They are a close range round that simply don,t go for miles.
And who said the man was silly enough to shoot without checking
his line of fire anyway.The best gun for an Australian overstayer is the one in your hand.:2thumbsup

jrandom
4th November 2003, 08:40
Originally posted by Jackrat
Hey mate Iv,e got a Nagent as well,Take it out an shoot it at night ... Keep the bayonet lug on it,they are sighted with it on,if you remove it they don,t shoot well ... An don,t forget the MILITEC 1.

Yes, I plan to christen it in the backyard tomorrow night :niceone: I've heard stories about 'garbage can' sized muzzle flashes, so it'll be interesting...

("What gun, officer? Oh, yes, the neighbours *were* letting off some loud fireworks...")

It's not a model 44, it's a model 38 which was the same rifle but pre-bayonet. Which is why I'm quite chuffed, because there's not so many of those around.

And yes I'll be grabbing some MILITEC-1 soonest. Do you know if anyone in NZ sells it or do I have to order it off their website?

Remember good gun control is the ability to consistantly hit your target.An armed society is a polite society. Praise the lord an pass the ammunition.

You sure you're not one of those filthy Yank bastards in disguise? :p

Racey Rider
4th November 2003, 09:45
Originally posted by Jackrat
A 44mag is a pistol round also used in some rifles,normaly lever guns.They are a close range round that simply don,t go for miles.

Good to hear! I'll sleep more soundly through Thunder Claps, thinking, Thats probalely the guy next door shooting possums with his 44. Knowing my Diablo sports, (Should I ever get them), will be safe as houses from wayward shots!

And who said the man was silly enough to shoot without checking his line of fire anyway. [/B]

One would hope not. :)

Don't worry about me,,,,. Still annoyed about them taking my so-called "Lifetime Gun License" away years ago! :angry2: !

SPman
4th November 2003, 11:10
So how do they compare with the L1A1 (apart from being older)

Now, a nice little AK 47, for when there are heaps of goats.......:D

Racey Rider
4th November 2003, 12:18
Originally posted by SPman
Now, a nice little AK 47, for when there are heaps of goats.......:D

Been there!!
Well,, saw it happen actually! I had a sedate .222 to do the damage, But two mates both had AK 47's with speed clips, and orders to "Cull" the wild goats off a King Country farm.
Stupid goats ran into a corner. :doh:
Now stupid Dead goats! :sunny:

There's more to that story,,, but will save it for the next KB Bar-b-q if I can get there.
When is that?????

jrandom
4th November 2003, 12:26
Originally posted by SPman
So how do they compare with the L1A1

Ballistics of the 7.62x54R are about identical to .308/7.62x51 NATO. You can reload both cartridges with the same bullets.

The rifles themselves are quite different; the FAL is a full-length semiautomatic with a 20-round (usually) detachable box mag, pistol grip etc, the M38 is a short-barrel bolt-action carbine with a 5-round toploading integral mag. The basic designs are about 30 years apart (1920s vs 1950s). You could say the M38 is to the SKS as the SMLE is to the FAL.

I bought the Mosin because they're good guns, I don't have endless cash to spend on the latest fancy hunting rifle, and the idea of carrying a 5kg full-length battle rifle around all day in the bush does not appeal :D

(guess I wouldn't have done too well in 'Nam then eh?)

I'll buy an AK one day, but I can't be arsed looking for an A-classed version so I'll wait until I get a proper gun safe and an E license. (The L1A1 has been A-classed and suffers because of it.)

Hoon
4th November 2003, 13:35
Originally posted by jrandom
and the idea of carrying a 5kg full-length battle rifle around all day in the bush does not appeal :D

(guess I wouldn't have done too well in 'Nam then eh?)

Try carrying an assault rifle, 10kg webbing and 30kg back pack through the bush for 2 weeks while living off cream crackers and 2 min noodles...without a change of clothes or a shower either!

http://flightcentre9.datacom.co.nz/test/snap.jpg

jrandom
4th November 2003, 14:34
Try carrying an assault rifle, 10kg webbing and 30kg back pack through the bush for 2 weeks while living off cream crackers and 2 min noodles...without a change of clothes or a shower either!

Ahhh... that's right. Now I remember why I never joined the Army :p

I'm assuming you're referring to personal experience? You probably enjoyed it though, didn't you? Go on, admit it.

And I'll bet you were glad you had one of those nifty plastic poodle-shooters instead of an L1A1, too...

SpankMe
4th November 2003, 15:03
That brings back memories of basic training in Waiouru in the middle of winter. Except I had an SLR instead on an Aug steyr. Bloody tuff time, but well worth it.

Jackrat
4th November 2003, 20:35
MILITEC 1 can be bought from all hunting and fishing stores,plus there is a list of other dealers on their web site.
And on that life time licence,I reckon they own me money for about thirty years worth.If we had a decent mental health system
in this land the sort of thing that cost us our life time licences could never of happened.How the largest group of documented law abiding citizens in the land can be painted the bad guys is beyond me.
Think I better leave it at that,Really gets my goat.
:argh:

SPman
4th November 2003, 20:59
Nah, I think its Jrandom with his nifty Nagant that'll get your goat. :D

fritter
4th November 2003, 21:24
Originally posted by Racey Rider
And how many times did you miss that possum, (up a tree I prsume), and have the projectile go for miles before imbeding it's self in some tractor tyre, (or some bikers Diablo sports tyre, as the case may be)!:Oops: :argh: :whocares:

Now about me not checking the area behind where I shoot (regardless of the kind of round I'm using), were you trying to piss me off, or were you joking? If not, then you must be one of the people who don't know about gun safety - you have no doubt yourself shot without checking the area behind you, it's probably a good thing you don't have a licence any more if this is the case. Otherwise you may have to be a little less subtle with your humour when you are directing it at me :)

Where we shoot them they run around on the stepped legdes of the hillside (farm not forest). There isn't anywhere flat and fuck all trees, and no, we don't shoot at anything when it's sitting on a ridge either...

Racey Rider
5th November 2003, 12:20
Originally posted by fritter
Now about me not checking the area behind where I shoot (regardless of the kind of round I'm using), were you trying to piss me off, or were you joking? ....... Otherwise you may have to be a little less subtle with your humour when you are directing it at me :)

Just asking a smart question. Didn't mean anything by it. :Oops:
My apologies!
Useing text, things can easily be taken the wrong way. especially when you rush it, cause I really should have been working! :rolleyes:

fritter
5th November 2003, 20:10
some jokes don't tend to work so well in typing - I've done the same thing.. that's why I asked before I went ape

any comment that implies I would do something that stupid would never be received too well... especially if it were serious :angry2:

but since it wasn't - no worries :niceone:

Indiana_Jones
10th October 2008, 16:22
Wicked fun guns aye :D

I own a 91/30 version

-Indy

jrandom
10th October 2008, 16:24
A five-year-old thread. Gosh. I dub you the Dredge King.

Indiana_Jones
10th October 2008, 16:47
A five-year-old thread. Gosh. I dub you the Dredge King.

Still got the gun?

lol hey, I'm on topic! ;)

-Indy

jrandom
10th October 2008, 16:51
Still got the gun?

Actually, it eventually passed into the tender care of the local constabulary, but that's a story for another time...

Indiana_Jones
10th October 2008, 16:52
Actually, it eventually passed into the tender care of the local constabulary, but that's a story for another time...

Bugger that! I'll take it lol

-Indy