PDA

View Full Version : Police operating guide for speed enforcement: passing lanes

grusomhat
15th December 2009, 17:50
I was trying to find out what bands are used in New Zealand regarding speed radars and I stumbled upon the NZ police Operating Speed Measuring Devices guide.

I found this but quite interesting

When speed camera enforcement is taking place in the area of passing lanes, vehicles should not be targeted within 250 (two hundred and fifty) metres of the finish of any passing lane.

I've now just noticed that the guide has expired at the start of this year. BUT, is that guide gospel, ie could be used against speeding tickets from passing or is it simply just a guide.

Also when they say target, does that simply mean that they can't sit there and wait, but a cop can still drive pass and catch you?

Source:http://www.police.govt.nz/resources/2007/speed-enforcement-guide/index.html

Oh and to my original reason for searching, what bands need to be activated on a radar detector?

slofox
15th December 2009, 17:55
Oh and to my original reason for searching, what bands need to be activated on a radar detector?

All except X band I would say...the new speed cameras use K and at an unusually low frequency - "they" reckon some detectors will not detect this frequency. I have yet to find out about my own...

grusomhat
15th December 2009, 18:01
All except X band I would say...the new speed cameras use K and at an unusually low frequency - "they" reckon some detectors will not detect this frequency. I have yet to find out about my own...

Thanks, will do some testing once I get it on the bike.

Max Headroom
15th December 2009, 19:13
I was trying to find out what bands are used in New Zealand regarding speed radars and I stumbled upon the NZ police Operating Speed Measuring Devices guide.

I've now just noticed that the guide has expired at the start of this year. BUT, is that guide gospel, ie could be used against speeding tickets from passing or is it simply just a guide.

As it happens, I looked at that same web page recently as a result of getting one too many speeding tickets recently . . . :Oops:

I had also noticed that the page had expired, and contacted Police HQ in Wellington. The webmaster said that the page could be considered current until it gets replaced, and he didn't know when exactly that would be.

That was three months ago.

grusomhat
15th December 2009, 19:20
As it happens, I looked at that same web page recently as a result of getting one too many speeding tickets recently . . . :Oops:

I had also noticed that the page had expired, and contacted Police HQ in Wellington. The webmaster said that the page could be considered current until it gets replaced, and he didn't know when exactly that would be.

That was three months ago.

Alright, good to know. And handy that you contacted them. I wonder how that passing lane thing works. Would be interesting to contest a ticked using that.

mctshirt
15th December 2009, 19:33
You might want to read the 2009 version first
http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/services/road-policing/Speed-enforcement.pdf

grusomhat
15th December 2009, 19:41
http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/services/road-policing/Speed-enforcement.pdf

Thanks, doesn't seem to mention it. And I just realised the first one refers to speed cameras which probably negates any use it would have.

CookMySock
15th December 2009, 20:29
what bands need to be activated on a radar detector?Just Ka band. This is the mobile non-automatic speed measuring equipment used in patrol cars.

This does not protect you from stationary automatic (camera flash) speed measuring equipment. Seriously, if you cannot spot them with your eyes, then get new eyes. They stick out like dogs nuts. They are very very low-powered, and often you get very little warning with them, compared to the Stalkers' massive beam on energy in the sky.

Stalker on Ka band is a whole different story. I drove to Auckland and back today, and easily 50% of the Ka detects I got, I could NOT identify the patrol car, so if you are going to ride like a dick, you must be scanning Ka band or else they will see you long before you see them.

Disclaimer: I generally travel dot-on or just under the speedlimit, but sometimes I pass, and sometimes I bust 70k limits ever so slightly when entering them, so I'd like to know if I'm being watched before I pull some passing manoevre. Oh, and its fun playing spot the pig when the detector goes off, much more fun than I-spy.

Steve

grusomhat
16th December 2009, 07:26
Just Ka band. This is the mobile non-automatic speed measuring equipment used in patrol cars.

This does not protect you from stationary automatic (camera flash) speed measuring equipment. Seriously, if you cannot spot them with your eyes, then get new eyes. They stick out like dogs nuts. They are very very low-powered, and often you get very little warning with them, compared to the Stalkers' massive beam on energy in the sky.

Stalker on Ka band is a whole different story. I drove to Auckland and back today, and easily 50% of the Ka detects I got, I could NOT identify the patrol car, so if you are going to ride like a dick, you must be scanning Ka band or else they will see you long before you see them.

Disclaimer: I generally travel dot-on or just under the speedlimit, but sometimes I pass, and sometimes I bust 70k limits ever so slightly when entering them, so I'd like to know if I'm being watched before I pull some passing manoevre. Oh, and its fun playing spot the pig when the detector goes off, much more fun than I-spy.

Steve

Sweet, I'm not much of a speeder so the radar detector is more for a little peace of mind when pulling out and passing. I'll still do all my usual, is there a police car around checks first.

The main reason for having it though is for exactly what you mentioned near the end. Why should they get to be invisible? knowing your surroundings is all about knowing everything around you, including the cops!

Berries
16th December 2009, 21:07
BUT, is that guide gospel, ie could be used against speeding tickets from passing or is it simply just a guide.

It is just a guide and you couldn't use non compliance as a defence. I think the reason for it is that the camera is not as clever as the Stalker. Overtaking vehicle doing 140km/h. FLASH. Photo comes out showing two vehicles side by side. Which one is speeding ? The camera doesn't know so straight away there is some doubt.

Single vehicle doing 140km/h in passing lane. FLASH. You're nicked, guide or no guide.

bogan
16th December 2009, 21:09
It is just a guide and you couldn't use non compliance as a defence. I think the reason for it is that the camera is not as clever as the Stalker. Overtaking vehicle doing 140km/h. FLASH. Photo comes out showing two vehicles side by side. Which one is speeding ? The camera doesn't know so straight away there is some doubt.

Single vehicle doing 140km/h in passing lane. FLASH. You're nicked, guide or no guide.

thats why they take two sequential photos, easy to tell which is going quicker then ;)

Woody2
16th December 2009, 21:15

I use a detector in the cage and you don't get much warning for the new speed cameras using K band. Agree with DB it's fun spotting the cops when the detector goes off - particularly the mufti cops, a lot more of those around lately,

Berries
16th December 2009, 21:21
thats why they take two sequential photos, easy to tell which is going quicker then ;)

Ah, so my policeman friend was attempting to entrap me. Bastard. I know there is a 250m guide where speed limits change just to avoid any arguments over speeding up/slowing down near to the signs. I can't imagine they would give you the same leeway at the end of a passing lane though.

grusomhat
17th December 2009, 00:32
Ah, so my policeman friend was attempting to entrap me. Bastard. I know there is a 250m guide where speed limits change just to avoid any arguments over speeding up/slowing down near to the signs. I can't imagine they would give you the same leeway at the end of a passing lane though.

Half right! There's 250m when entering a slower speed zone. There is NO guide for leeway for people speeding up before the sign.

CookMySock
17th December 2009, 07:16

Single vehicle doing 140km/h in passing lane. FLASH. You're nicked, guide or no guide.Yes and no. There are a lot of restrictions on what the operator can and cannot do with the stalker, as it is "non automatic" speed measuring equipment. Not so with the fixed "automatic" unit, so while the stalker will give more detail, it is much more subject to its' published limitations and that of its' inexperienced operator. Ie, it can separate two targets, but it cannot tell its' operator which is which. A larger truck following a smaller motorbike - which one is the primary target and which one is the higher speed target?

Steve

steve_t
17th December 2009, 07:55

Also when they say target, does that simply mean that they can't sit there and wait, but a cop can still drive pass and catch you?

Source:http://www.police.govt.nz/resources/2007/speed-enforcement-guide/index.html

Damn, I wish I had this to reference back when I got ticketed for 112km/h. I was side-by-side with some 4wd coming towards the lanes merging so I sped up just enough so we wouldn't collide when we merged. I got pinged by the cop waiting there :( I wrote a letter in saying that I was trying to avoid an accident but they replied saying it was no excuse, just as it's no excuse to be speeding when overtaking :buggerd: I'm still of the opinion that the less time I spend on the wrong side of the road, the better :mad:

marty
17th December 2009, 08:23
absolutely. you could have slowed and pulled in behind, or not even bothered starting the manouver in the first place.

grusomhat
17th December 2009, 08:59
And it's been posted before but it's always a good read for those who haven't seen it.

Stormer
17th December 2009, 15:59

I like the "trauma promoting offences" bit...

neels
17th December 2009, 17:19
Can they invent a machine to automatically shoot the wankers who speed up on passing lanes.

That would be more useful, and save people having to do 140 to pass someone that is going to slow down to 80 when there is only one lane again.

But I digress, sorry, as you were.....

TimeOut
17th December 2009, 19:17
Can they invent a machine to automatically shoot the wankers who speed up on passing lanes.

That would be more useful, and save people having to do 140 to pass someone that is going to slow down to 80 when there is only one lane again.

But I digress, sorry, as you were.....

You're allowed to digress, that's one of my pet hates.

They'll even hit the brakes to get back down to 80 once they get to the single lane, the muftis should be targeting these arseholes:Playnice:

grusomhat
17th December 2009, 20:19
You're allowed to digress, that's one of my pet hates.

They'll even hit the brakes to get back down to 80 once they get to the single lane, the muftis should be targeting these arseholes:Playnice:

Heh, If I'm driving a car I'm usually pretty relaxed and not looking to go fast so I generally do the opposite of that if there's someone looking to pass. I usually sit on 105 and brake down to 90 then back up and the end. It's only fair!

Patrick
21st December 2009, 12:50

Camera OP I was talking to recently with these new digital ones says the cameras can be set up for multiple lanes, both approaching and heading away, and can differentiate which lane the speeder is in...... so it doesn't matter how many are in the picture, it will tell what lane the speeder is in, in the picture.

Gremlin
30th December 2009, 02:59
I doubt the guide has to be followed at all.

I've seen plenty of camera vans and police cars parked during, the end, and just after the end of passing lanes. imho, a stupid policy, partly due to the bastards that speed up while in the passing lane (sooo tempting to want to thump them) and also, once drivers know this, it will only encourage overtaking in more dangerous places, as logic would dictate you have less chance of being caught. Yes, the roaming cars are still a risk, but identical to the passing lane.

The new camera vans don't seem to stand out as much for me, and yes, their detection by the radar detector is much less, sometimes only warning you when you're basically on them. For all the K alerts from friggen door openers, I'm wondering whether to turn it off again.

CookMySock
30th December 2009, 04:50

That would be more useful, and save people having to do 140 to pass someone that is going to slow down to 80 when there is only one lane again.Why do bikers think like this? Why not just slip past them when they are going slow? You don't need a passing lane when on a bike.

Steve

kwaka_crasher
30th December 2009, 11:03
Camera OP I was talking to recently with these new digital ones says the cameras can be set up for multiple lanes, both approaching and heading away, and can differentiate which lane the speeder is in...... so it doesn't matter how many are in the picture, it will tell what lane the speeder is in, in the picture.They possibly have direction sensing like the Stalker mobile units - that's not difficult using the doppler effect - but there is no way they could differentiate between two vehicles travelling in the same direction as in the passing lane situation.