PDA

View Full Version : FXR150 rear shock upgrade

gav
17th December 2009, 09:20
OK, so the standard shock seems to work OK, but what have other people fitted as an upgrade. Do any of those cheapie pitbike shocks on Trade Me work ok? I'd ideally like something a bit firmer than standard and maybe a little longer could be good too? Any suggestions?

FROSTY
17th December 2009, 09:27
OK, so the standard shock seems to work OK, but what have other people fitted as an upgrade. Do any of those cheapie pitbike shocks on Trade Me work ok? I'd ideally like something a bit firmer than standard and maybe a little longer could be good too? Any suggestions?
mate dont even bother looking at a pittie shock--itll be worse than what you've got.
i'd be looking seriously at the back of a 125GP bike,Maybee a streetstock 150 --Im sure someone will have figured out a way to modify a rear shock and stay inside the SS150 rules or have a look at maybee one of the 85cc offroad racers.

richban
17th December 2009, 13:00

YSS. They have a guy in NZ now. http://www.yss-australia.com/series-x.php they are not cheap but there is not much choice. I love mine.

gav
17th December 2009, 13:16
YSS. They have a guy in NZ now. http://www.yss-australia.com/series-x.php they are not cheap but there is not much choice. I love mine.
So which shock are you using then?

F5 Dave
17th December 2009, 15:54
mate dont even bother looking at a pittie shock--itll be worse than what you've got.
i'd be looking seriously at the back of a 125GP bike,Maybee a streetstock 150 --Im sure someone will have figured out a way to modify a rear shock and stay inside the rules or have a look at maybee one of the 85cc offroad racers.
What rules? he could use a TTX36. Just we'd push him off.

Actually on a 50 you don't try push anyone off, they might steam roll you with one of their barge like 4 stroke thingies..

richban
17th December 2009, 17:16
So which shock are you using then?

They made me one coz they didn't have one on the books. 10mm longer than original. Fully adjustable version. Recycled the original spring to save some money. Just call them they were really good to deal with.

They said they would keep the spec from what I did for any other FXR replacements.

Buddha#81
17th December 2009, 18:32
They made me one coz they didn't have one on the books. 10mm longer than original. Fully adjustable version. Recycled the original spring to save some money. Just call them they were really good to deal with.

They said they would keep the spec from what I did for any other FXR replacements.

$$'s?:buggerd:

FROSTY
17th December 2009, 18:37
What rules? he could use a TTX36. Just we'd push him off.

Actually on a 50 you don't try push anyone off, they might steam roll you with one of their barge like 4 stroke thingies..
Im talking about SS150 rules

Pumba
17th December 2009, 19:05
Good idea bring this up Gav. I have been looking at a way of upgading the rear shock, but the bucket i.e. half arsed and for sweet FA $, but havent managed to come up with anyhting yet.

woodyracer
17th December 2009, 19:08
Good idea bring this up Gav. I have been looking at a way of upgading the rear shock, but the bucket i.e. half arsed and for sweet FA $, but havent managed to come up with anyhting yet.

some MX shocks are good in buckets, JC is running a WP kx85 shock on his test bike, seems to handle well.

richban
17th December 2009, 20:07
$$'s?:buggerd:

I think it was $420 Aussie. They have cheaper options without compression dampening adjustment. Just rebound. If I could have found a none poked standard one I think changing the oil would have been the first thing I did. Drill, valve, ect.

Monkeynz
17th December 2009, 20:12
I think it was $420 Aussie. They have cheaper options without compression dampening adjustment. Just rebound. If I could have found a none poked standard one I think changing the oil would have been the first thing I did. Drill, valve, ect.

Holy shit, thats one expensive bucket upgrade. I would look at upgrading the standard shock 1st, surely that would be a cheaper option?

koba
17th December 2009, 21:20
Im talking about SS150 rules

Why? <ten cahr>

FROSTY
18th December 2009, 07:16
Why? <TEN cahr>
Trying to get ya post count up??
I've rephrased my reply a tadd.
What I was saying was that some SS150 riders might have figured out how to modify an RG150/KR150 shock and stay inside the SS 150 rules.

F5 Dave
18th December 2009, 08:12
. . .What I was saying was that some SS150 riders might have figured out how to modify an RG150/KR150 shock and stay inside the SS 150 rules.

You mean cheat but from the outside appear legal?

A cheaper upgrade would be for the more erm, manly shaped men would be to fit a stiffer spring or shorten the existing one. Then drill & braze on a tyre valve & replace the old oil

gav
18th December 2009, 09:17
A cheaper upgrade would be for the more erm, manly shaped men would be to fit a stiffer spring or shorten the existing one. Then drill & braze on a tyre valve & replace the old oil
Yeah that sounds like an idea, any ideas on the spring to use?

FROSTY
18th December 2009, 09:28
You mean cheat but from the outside appear legal?

Now if it was the 250 proddy days i'd say YEP cheat.
But SS150 I dunno if you are or aren't allowed to recondition (reoil,respring) the factory shock. I know you have to use the factory suspenders

F5 Dave
18th December 2009, 09:58
I am not advocating cheating by any means, I was talking for buckets & all that is legal. I haven't read the SS150 rules & aren't that keen to find out.

Spring rate of the std shock would be interesting to find out & is quite easy with some bathroom scales & a steel rule. Ideally you put just the free spring on a press with the scales underneath & compress the spring as m,uch as you can without running off scale & measure the compression. 10mm makes for easy math, but more is more accurate. If spring compresses 10mm & shows 58kg then you have a 5.8kg/mm spring. But 116kg over 20mm to get the same result is more accurate if you see what I mean.

When taking spring off use care. Spring pressure is dangerous. Reduce preload to min. you have to compress spring to hook the collet out. Don't use fingers in case spring slips & catches you. If don't have spring compressor small enough 3 long hoseclamps can be fed through & positioned around & done up evenly to pull 4 or so coils together.

if you don't have a press you can use a piece of 4x2 as a lever & a adequately stuck out piece of hardware (like a staircase) so you put the spring & scales close to it, hook the lever under the stair & lever the long end down & hold still while someone measures & reads scale.

With a medium amount of preload you'd want the suspension to compress 30-40mm with you on. I'm guessing they are made for a 60kg Thai ladyboy so will compress probably 80mm when a powerful chap as yourself gets on leaving ~40mm left. (last 20mm of this is probably bumpstop rubber). Again I'm guessing.

So now you can go bother your local wrecker to measure some of his springs. If he has a bunch already separated. -Many will just tell you to sod off & rightly so. Any spacer will have to hold spring properly & not collapse or slip.

You could cut your existing spring down & make a spacer. Do a search on this site on stiffening springs, I wrote something many years ago. One has to be careful to make sure coil won't spring bind when fully compressed (measure gaps when on shock with max preload & minus shock stroke (including bump rubber compression).

Or get a spring maker to make a stiffer spring. You may have to make a guess like 20% stiffer.

koba
18th December 2009, 22:24
Trying to get ya post count up??
I've rephrased my reply a tadd.
What I was saying was that some SS150 riders might have figured out how to modify an RG150/KR150 shock and stay inside the SS 150 rules.

Nope, are you?

The SS150 rules don't allow for any changes to the rear suspension, front is limited to springs and oil.

UNSTABLE
19th December 2009, 08:06
Spring rate of the std shock would be interesting to find out....

I don't know exactly what it is but it is fairly hefty. I thing Tim did some calculations on it when he was looking to change it and it was heavier rate than most big bore bikes. Because of the pickup locations on the swingarm etc and due to the fact there is no rising rate linkage, most shocks that you think may work will be far too soft. The other problem is it is so freakin short!!
Getting a custom made one might sound excessive or expensive but in reality is probably the most cost effective solution, and should yield the best results.
Personally I don't think there is too much wrong with the stock shock. Mine seems to work O.K. I don't have any rear traction issues. I think when the wibbly wobblies do come on through some fast high grip corners it's probably more the frame and swingarm flexing and tying itself in knots than anything in the suspension...

richban
19th December 2009, 10:17
I don't know exactly what it is but it is fairly hefty. I thing Tim did some calculations on it when he was looking to change it and it was heavier rate than most big bore bikes. Because of the pickup locations on the swingarm etc and due to the fact there is no rising rate linkage, most shocks that you think may work will be far too soft. The other problem is it is so freakin short!!
Getting a custom made one might sound excessive or expensive but in reality is probably the most cost effective solution, and should yield the best results.
Personally I don't think there is too much wrong with the stock shock. Mine seems to work O.K. I don't have any rear traction issues. I think when the wibbly wobblies do come on through some fast high grip corners it's probably more the frame and swingarm flexing and tying itself in knots than anything in the suspension...

Yeh the stock one is good. If you have a working one the valve upgrade and an oil change might make it last longer. I had know problems with mine till the seals went and it turned into a pogo stick. The standard spring rate seams fine for me. Me being 90kg bike 103. Was able to set it up with good static and rider sag. After a test day at manfeild yesterday I love the new one even more. Now the front needs more attention. The never ending story off playing with oily stuff

Skunk
19th December 2009, 21:27
Now the front needs more attention. The never ending story off playing with oily stuffI have one word for you - emulators.

richban
20th December 2009, 07:11
I have one word for you - emulators.

Yep rodger that. YSS do a CBR150 front kit not sure but it might work on an FXR.

I am planning to build a new bike next year. Something Ali and light. Maybe something that starts with RS. If I can find one that is for next to nothing.

Pumba
20th December 2009, 08:40
Oh so there will be an FXR frame floating around then when you transplant the motor, look dont worry about I will take it off your hands (shock included of course). $100 sounds like a fair price, good, done deal, let me know when I can pick it up. No rush.

:whistle:

richban
20th December 2009, 17:08
Oh so there will be an FXR frame floating around then when you transplant the motor, look dont worry about I will take it off your hands (shock included of course). $100 sounds like a fair price, good, done deal, let me know when I can pick it up. No rush.

:whistle:

Umm well, I might just hang on to it. See got another engine sitting on me garage floor. I am planning the engine build now. It will be mad.

Pumba
20th December 2009, 18:24
Umm well, I might just hang on to it. See got another engine sitting on me garage floor. I am planning the engine build now. It will be mad.

Spoil sport.