PDA

View Full Version : ZXR Air Intakes

backfru
30th April 2005, 21:36
Got a question 'bout the intake pipes etc for a ZXR 250..
Can the air intake pipes, the ones above tank (KRAS?) be enlargened without too much trouble, or say the black rubber plastic molds on the blade be 'opened up' a little.. or would something like that require the carbs to be rejetted?

SPORK
30th April 2005, 22:13
So do the intakes on the ZXR do something? Coz on the CBR250RR they just lead to a dead end...

N4CR
30th April 2005, 22:34
ZXR250 kras pipes are not really even cold air intakes.. I pulled the fuel tank off 2 nights ago and they just go straight behind the radiator into a whole lot of wires and stuff so there aint much airflow.. not really doing much. Think of them as 'love handles'.

bugjuice
30th April 2005, 22:42
I'm with the thinking of the CBR. Neither do anything but 'look good'. Stick a drain pipe on and see what looks you get when you pull up at the lights..

Making the bigger (if they did do something) wouldn't have a great deal of benefit. You'd need to do a fair bit of engine work for lots of air to get more power.
Just buy a foam filter or K&N filter and see if that makes any difference. For a 250 tho, you can put heaps of work into them, and you don't get a heap in return

Milky
30th April 2005, 23:49
They are only on there for cosmetics - the early 90s zx7r and above had ram air, but on the 250 and the 400 they just put a little air into the area in front of the the tank. Methinks that it makes no difference at low speeds, and bugger all at 100-120ks.

BNZ
30th April 2005, 23:56
Can the air intake pipes, the ones above tank (KRAS?) be enlargened without too much trouble, or say the black rubber plastic molds on the blade be 'opened up' a little.. or would something like that require the carbs to be rejetted?

Rip your tank off, take the airbox cover off and have a look around. Once you familiarise yourself with the bike and its workings you will have a better understanding of what you just asked. The KRAS on the 250 pipes air to the Coils and regulator, not the airbox. Air intake is on the lower left fairing which then goes through a maze to reach the airbox. I have been told that opening up this path brings no performence increase on a standard tuned 250.

loosebruce
1st May 2005, 00:55

To be honest mate, trying to get any more power out of a 250cc is a waste of time, unless you're racing a 2 stroke. The amount of money you'd have to spend in mods to a 250cc to get 5-10hp, well you'd be better off saving your money, selling the 250cc and buying a 400cc, which in turn would whip a modded 250cc anyway, and i think you'll find that most 400's are cheaper or the same price as a 250cc. Okay so your're on your learners still? (dunno) and don't want a 400cc, buy a 2 stroke 250cc and scare yourself silly. But never doubt the 250c 4's they're still a very fast bike in the right hands and i still have shitloads of fun riding the ZXR. They are a great bike, just dont let Whitetrash near it after he's had a few, gearboxs dont like him very much :killingme

sedge
1st May 2005, 10:12
Even on the early ZXR750s the pipes didn't do much, they cool the top of the engine and carbs (a little). One reason, apart from looks, was to help equalise the negative pressure generated at high speed in the area around the intake under the seat, IE they don't provide ram air but help diminsh anti-ram air. On the 250 they did nowt...

Sedge.

JohnBoy
1st May 2005, 15:26
on my bike it (i only have one intake) adds so much that with out them it runs like a hairy goat as i found out when i put 96 ZX9R fairings on it for racing.

but i must admit after having a play with a mates old "A" model once they do just go now where. all they seem to do is aid as a fresh air intake and a little bit of cooling, thats really important on the 250's to negate something i like to call KLBS (Kawasaki Leg Burining System).

FROSTY
6th May 2005, 02:54
ive been experimenting with my zxr400 and if you look at your airbox intake the extra air makes sod all difference--but as already stated the coling effect on the engine can be significant

John
6th May 2005, 11:55
I was playing with my airbox - (if you really really want to get serious) you can start drilling out some holes below the air filter in the airbox, Although I dont recommend it - I just did a very little hole to see if it will be much louder - no real improvement to the speed in any range, leave it alone, save it for the bigger bikes...

R6_kid
8th May 2005, 20:09
doing anything to them will add about as much power as putting racing/brand stickers on your bike. Of course according to any 'boy racer' thats a good 15hp :killingme

250learna
9th May 2005, 12:06
doing anything to them will add about as much power as putting racing/brand stickers on your bike. Of course according to any 'boy racer' thats a good 15hp :killingme

dont forget the speed-holes :niceone: