PDA

View Full Version : Road sweeping

swbarnett
18th December 2009, 00:19
In the meeting at the National meeting held at the Royal Akorana Yacht Club (the one with Nix Myth) it was mentioned, by a women who I believe is an Auckland City Counsiller, that Auckland's road works do indeed get swept.

Well, I can attest that whe was in fact "technically" correct.

We've just had our street resurfaced with vocanic chip and yes, they did sweep it.

However, all they did was sweep the build-up at the side of the road back in to the middle so the traffic could have another go at squashing it in to the tar! No loose chip was removed at all. They've now repainted the white lines so I assume they think they've finished. Even though there is still a large amount of very slippery loose chip lying about.

Guided_monkey
18th December 2009, 20:43
Ring the Auckland City council help line and explain the problem.

I've found the Council will respond pretty quickly when it is a road safety issue.

Mention to the operator (not a council person just the complany that answers the phones), that it is a road safety issue.

The company responsible 'normally' rings you within a couple of work days.

AllanB
18th December 2009, 20:49
I swear in Christchurch that they just use the car traffic to sweep the gravel off new roads. But first the use the cars to actually bed the gravel into the tar they slopped all over the perfectly good road ........

DidJit
18th December 2009, 21:07
I've come across a lot of re-surfacing lately (seems it is the season), all of it with loose chip seal (even a week or 2 later). It is one of the elements we motorists must be ready for on our roads. I've even seen 4-wheeled motorists get a lil' jiggy when they hit it. If ACC were serious about injury prevention in the "motor vehicle account", they might want to lean on NZTA/roading contractors to make the road surfaces that much less hazardous. IdleIdolIdyll's been calling for it as long as I've known him.

carver
18th December 2009, 21:26
they usually drag a weighted broom arrangement behind a ute to even it all out before they put the tar down, i dont see why they dont do it once it is sealed to level it out

kwaka_crasher
18th December 2009, 23:23
I've come across a lot of re-surfacing lately (seems it is the season)...

It is. This time every year it starts (a bit earlier actually). They begin resurfacing perfectly good roads and leaving the fucked ones... well, fucked. They've done our relatively low volume suburban street 3 times in 10 years despite there never having been anything wrong with it, but the main road at the end of it, rutted & patched, has never had that attention to my knowledge.

Squiggles
22nd December 2009, 08:33
Something i've posted on before

The number below is for the Auckland City Council region in response to a query from their stakeholders group... I've found them pretty damn quick to get out there and sort it out

Please see the response below to the action from the minutes - "Road construction & Repairs - Current practises that are a problem for motorcyclists (e.g. Pea gravel, Metal blanking plates - Utility companies putting metal blanking plates on these are a safety concern as if they are down for a period of time they start to move and become dangerous when on a motorcycle. What are the standards they are to adhere to who checks?"

The Code of Practice for Working in the Road, Part 6.4.2.11 requires the following (edited out). Whilst we endeavour to audit as many sites as possible, resources do not allow us to do so. Can I suggest that any sites that are of concern are reported via the Call Centre phone 379 2020 request for service process and given a "Critical" priority. We will audit within 4 working hours.

Ring it up, get them out, get them out for every little thing and follow up asking what will be done in future to prevent it happening...

Swoop
22nd December 2009, 19:58
We've just had our street resurfaced with vocanic chip and yes, they did sweep it.

However, all they did was sweep the build-up at the side of the road back in to the middle so the traffic could have another go at squashing it in to the tar! No loose chip was removed at all. They've now repainted the white lines so I assume they think they've finished. Even though there is still a large amount of very slippery loose chip lying about.
Fairly standard (crappy) practice. My road and also across Scenic Dr, was done last year. A quick reseal, the next day they repainted the white line down the centre and then removed the signs warning of new seal. "Sweep"?? they did not even attempt to do it.
Scenic was left with plenty of patches of unmarked chip the entire length of the road.
I phoned the council and gave them crap for letting their contractors do this and also suggested that the council cough up when the insurance companies come knocking for reimbursement after an accident. That did not appear to go down well.

caseye
22nd December 2009, 20:17
Something i've posted on before

Ring it up, get them out, get them out for every little thing and follow up asking what will be done in future to prevent it happening...

Cheers Squiggles. I'll use that number, OFTEN.
Everyone else write it down, find a bit of shitty road , report it, get a name from the one you spoke too, make them aware it's a particular hazard to Motorcyclists.Also make them aware that if a crash occurs there it'll be reported to the Local Police that the council was informed, give themthe council persons name the date you spoke to them and of course which bit of unmarked road it was on, all of a sudden they have to act.
Go for it folks lets make the councils clean up after their lazy bloody contractors.