PDA

View Full Version : 250cc choices... banger, sm, nekkid, rr

Ghost Lemur
1st May 2005, 01:10
As some of you know, I'm currently in the long process of saving.

My goal is $5,000. ~$3k for the bike and $2k for the right gear. I'm still a long way off.

In the meantime, besides spending shitloads of time here learning more and more, I'm reading, researching, umming and arring about my choice of bike.

My final desision will greatly depend on my financial situation once I've got the money saved. How much I can budget for maintenance, etc.

Now where you guys come in...

The following are my choices and what I'd like to know is your thoughts, opinions and personal experiences. Pros and cons etc.

Oh, better add it'll be used for commuting as well as much open roading as I can fit in.

So here we go...

Ratbike/banger (ie cb250rs, gn250, etc) - Now this is what my last bike was. Although I had a blast on my cb it was certainly lacking up top (which didn't matter at the time as I only commuted on it). On the superficial side of things it did absolutely nothing for me. On the positive, being a single it was easy to work on (even for me), and cheap. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to maintain. All in all though I'd say this is my last resort.

2-Strokes (RVG, NSR, etc) - Pretty much crossed these off my list. Although the initial price is fine, the high maintenance costs combined with the number of k's I plan on doing mean these bikes aren't an option.

RR ( ZXR, CBRrr, etc) - This would be my first choice. Sexy machine, nice power, track day fun, able to keep up (rider dependant... :D ) on the open road and still nice on the commute. Downsides, plastics are costly, insurance(?), anything else?

Nekkid (VTR, Bandit, etc) - No costly plastics, good commuter, torquey (no not bought when staying at Fawlty Towers) engine.

Motard ( ??, ??, etc) - As you can see this is the option I know nothing about. Am interested in it and have started reading. But most of what I've found is either about the KTM/Husky/name you expensive brand or about converting 500 and 600cc dirtbikes. If I was to go this option it'd have to be a 4 stroke due to the commuting and prohibative maintenance costs.

Anyone else ever contemplated adding the combined years of knowledge and experience available on KB. We're talking thousands of years worth of experience and knowledge.

Milky
1st May 2005, 01:28
Personally I would get the nekkid 250s - they aren't as ridiculously overpriced as the RR group, and are a lot more versatile. Depends how long you want to keep it for, what you want to step up to afterwards, and most of all, the type of riding that you want to do in the interim.

SPORK
1st May 2005, 01:43
You sound to be in the same boat as me. I'll be a couple of months away from my bike as well.

I'm going to be gunning for an RG150, CBR250RR or ZXR250c, depending on what I can find for a good price when I have the dosh.

Zapf
1st May 2005, 02:20
naked 250 twins are all good.... I was "almost" keeping up with a ZXR400 in the twisties at the rally :msn-wink:

Considered a Honda VT250 Spada? fairly grunty for a 250 twin.

Wolf
1st May 2005, 11:56
I haven't ridden a Motard per se, but I did have a road-trail that was a shitload of fun (2-stroke, single 125cc) it was a great round-town commuter and I was able to take it out to Tokoroa with little hassle two-up. Used to scrape the pegs on it frequently - corners far better than my cruiser. Only minus I found was the semi-knobbly tyres - they were rat-shit in the wet. A properly appointed Motard with road tyres, though, would not have that problem and would probably be a shitload of fun. Certainly a good commuter and you should find it quite good on the open road - can also have loads of fun popping monos (under controlled conditions, Officer)

Coyote
1st May 2005, 12:09
Your damn right about the plastics, fark, but you can get fibreglass replacements that will be repairable if cracked/snapped/ground up. I've taken the side fairings off and aside and I wish I had done this with my front fairing (currently in a couple of peices, some in my garage, some at manfield lost :pinch:) so now I'm trying to get hold of a black original fairing for when it comes to selling it. My side fairings look pretty good hanging from the garage wall :-p. Also I screwed my tank, but that was my negligence and my collision with an RG, and all bikes have tanks so your not gonna escape that.

Plus the 250 4 stroke range just look awesome
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/image.php?u=1418&type=profile&dateline=1113028416
http://www.importmc.com.au/bikes/zxr250c/images/zxr250cGreenWhiteBlue.jpg

BNZ
1st May 2005, 12:13
Ive had both the CBR250RR and the ZXR250C and loved them both. Dont be put off by exspense costs of fairings etc! You could miss a whole lot of fun if you think like that :Punk:

Ghost Lemur
1st May 2005, 15:29
Thanks for the input so far guys.

More specific info I'm after is yearly costs. Maintenence, tyres, gas mileage, etc.

Also any info as far as the SM option goes. Very curious about it as a possibility for something different. What sort of bike would make a good one? Pros and cons, etc.

Depends how long you want to keep it for, what you want to step up to afterwards, and most of all, the type of riding that you want to do in the interim.

I'm not in any hurry to move through the ranks. Happy to enjoy all the stages from 250 to 400 to 600 etc. I'd probably be looking to keep the bike for between 1 and 2 years. Unlikely to be longer than that and much less than a year and I don't think I'd have given myself longer enough to truely get to know the bike and fully explore it.

Mr Skid
1st May 2005, 15:56
More specific info I'm after is yearly costs. Maintenence, tyres, gas mileage, etc.

Also any info as far as the SM option goes. Very curious about it as a possibility for something different. What sort of bike would make a good one? Pros and cons, etc.

Kawasaki made a 250cc motard, the D-Tracker. I don't think it's still in production though.
http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Kawasaki/2004/D-tracker/

I think the biggest cost would be in rear tires on a motard, assuming your riding it properly. :devil2:

If you want to do a conversion for the road, you're probably better off with a trail oriented bike, then change the bits you want i.e. wheels, brakes, suspension (in that order probably). Don't forget that you could just run a trail bike on the road, with road oriented tires and more compression dampening.. You don't have to run full knobs just because you're on a trail bike.

JohnBoy
1st May 2005, 16:36
hmm let me see...

i have owned (on a L or R licence):

2X 1983 CB250RS (single)
1987 GPX 250 (Paralell Twin)
1989 CBR250R (4 Cyl)
1990 FZR250 3LN (4 Cyl) (best of bunch)

is that enough relevant qual's?? :msn-wink:

ok heres my 2cents...

Singles... ok, not too cool if you ride with mates all the time. great on gas and maint. dont reconmend much but maybe a SRX.... depending on your taste

Twins, good amount of go. good fuel mileage but has to be caned to get anywhere in a hurry. Reconmend ZZR, haven't tried new GSX.

Fours... definatly the way to go. not too bad on gas (except my FZR, 120km to 15L, but that was running a little hot!) Plenty of power, minor maintenance issues that are affordable.
Reconmend FZR (3LN only 2KR=rubbish) or if you can get over the riding position ZXR (A model most go but not many good ones around because of that)

keep in mind the following:
where you gonna ride, like can you handle a sports bike while around town or long dist.

who you gonna ride with... no good having a single when mates have 4cyl's, this happened to a mate of mine once and he ended up stuffing his bike from over revving it trying to keep up.

how much you want to spend on gas and tyres. talk to your local bike shop understand how much tyres, filters and so forth are gonna cost to replace. but most important develop a relationship with a bike shop, this will be invaluable for future sales, advice and asisstance. i would be stuffed if i diddnt have my trusty bike shops and the only reason i changed cause i moved from WGTN to Hams.

Talk to insurance companies, i dont think that you will have an issue. they mainly go on Price, where you live, where you intnend to store it and your history. some advice... dont loose your licence!! will definatly count against you! ( i am suffering high premiums cause of this)

dont be pressured into anything, never buy something that you see for the first time ALWAYS go away and have a think about it

ok dude... you got most of my knowledge there. happy hunting and good luck.
keep us posted on what you buy!! :niceone: