PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Machine

Coldkiwi
4th November 2003, 16:26
So whats it gonna be (if you care)? Please tell me to get off if you think this is wankery... you're probably right... I'm just excited and enjoying having everyone guessing.

BTW. the answer will be posted when I pick it up at the end of the week!

Motoracer
4th November 2003, 16:47
I'll even guess the model and say its a ZX-9. How could it not be? It really is the next logical step...Right?:confused:

Coldkiwi
4th November 2003, 17:02
well I suppose logic and budget did come into it a bit... and then sort of fade away before becoming a reality again. :) but it's very easy to say 'oh I'll put the rest on finance' isn't it?

Motoracer
4th November 2003, 17:27
Ok, this sounds big. Its a bit too early for a ZX-10 so maybe its not a Kawasaki. Unless its one of the new ZX-6s that are damn sexy! Hmmmmm...could be anything, I guess I'll have to be in suspence until the end of the week.

Firefight
4th November 2003, 17:47
No way not wanky at all, lots of us interested, now you did say it was yellow ! hm:confused:

firefight:confused:

bikerboy
4th November 2003, 18:20
Anyone who thinks getting excited about a new bike is in my opinion a bit of a wanker themselves.:confused:

I'm excited and it isn't me thats getting the bike, good on ya CK :2thumbsup

Now I predict it is a great green zx6r thing, that or the zx7r which is my personal favorite. Bigger than 600 more exotic than a 1000.:D

wkid_one
4th November 2003, 18:27
Hmmm - guesses aplenty

- ZX636R
- ZX9R
-ZX6RR
- YZF6R
- CBR600RR

Yellow puts an interesting twist on it - I didn't hear that one

Antallica
4th November 2003, 19:55
I'll go out there and say perhaps a Yammy R1 maybe? :beer:

SPman
4th November 2003, 21:48
Yellow.......hmmmm....if OEcolors............Duc748,(BB's 996 is an aberation!), VTR1000,if gold...Triumph...nah, cant see that.......yellow and something?.....too many....A HARLEY! Thats it, it's a Harley and he's too ashamed to admit it....!

Otherwise.....not a new636?, itll kill your wrists, I tried one and my wrists where at a right strange painful angle!

Liv, Norway
5th November 2003, 03:08
So;
why is BMW not an option?
I know it's a long way from NZ to Berlin, so I guess you have never heard of it. :p

And if you don't think BMW are making R-bikes; you even got 2 R's!:
BMW R 850 R
BMR R 1150 RT ...and there are more! RRRRRROOOAAARRRRR!!!:p :eek: :p :D :p

:) Liv.

MikeL
5th November 2003, 07:07
Somehow I find it hard to visualize CK on a BMW.
Now if we were talking about KK, well...
:p

750Y
5th November 2003, 08:05
yellow huh? could it be italian? 8-)

jrandom
5th November 2003, 08:27
Hmmm.

Yellow eh?

VTR1000?
TLS?
748? Nahhhh...

Of course you might just be misleading us with the 'yellow' stuff and you've done the sensible thing and bought a GSXR1000K3 in that lovely new Suzuki bronze.

Just cut the bloody suspense already!

duckman
5th November 2003, 09:35
Yea go CK, tick it up on finance!!!! get a yellow italian between ya legs!!

:D

Mitch
5th November 2003, 10:06
I have to admit I shut my eyes ran the mouse up and down and it landed on Honda, :confused:  Am looking forward to finding out what it is thought CK, the suspence is working!!!

Christ I hope it's not a nifty bloody fifty LMAO   :eek:

Dave
5th November 2003, 10:28
Im picking a new CBR600rr
Now thats worth getting excited about.

Motoracer
5th November 2003, 10:49
My mate just got a new CBR600RR. He says the ride position is raceier than the 954. He also said that the technology all over the bike is way out of it and the performance has been boosted up heaps from the good old F4i days. Looks awfully similar to the RC211V as well so its gotta be good for ya.:niceone:

Coldkiwi
5th November 2003, 12:13
its definitely an upgrade* from the current ZX-6R at nearly twice the price! (and yeah, its OE colour is yellow)

*(so you can cross out harleys, BMW's and nifty fifties!)

I gotta say, I'm not all that worked up about the bronze suzuki's. Saw a black/bronze gsxr600k3 the other day that looked kinda nice but would've been much better in some lighter colours I thought.

Racey Rider
5th November 2003, 12:42
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
its definitely an upgrade* from the current ZX-6R at nearly twice the price! (and yeah, its OE colour is yellow)

You realise of course, the yellow one's, (tho pretty!), just don't have the speed potential of the Green one's!

What am I saying,,, of course CK would know that!
Which is why I think this whole "OE colour is yellow" thing is just False Start from the TRUTH!

Happy Birthday CK. :niceone:

bluninja
5th November 2003, 13:13
Oh no! not yellow. Yellow bikes crash a lot. Don't do it! don't get a yellow peril!

LOL

TTFN

jrandom
5th November 2003, 13:59
Yellow? Green? Pah.

Black is the One True Colour, and you all know it. CK no doubt lies awake at night sweating over his decision to pass up on that black 7R, trying desperately to avoid thinking about his future trials as he denies (unsuccessfully) the obvious limp-wristed sexual orientation connoted by a flouro Froot Loop-coloured bike.

Yellow, indeed. Heretic.

duckman
5th November 2003, 14:02
Now wait one god damned minute. Yellow IS the new black. (and red)

It's the fastest colour you can buy and the chicks dig it.

Go yellow bikes!!!! GO :rockon:

Motoracer
5th November 2003, 14:08
If I were to buy a Ducati, I'd most probably go for a yellow or red would be the next choice. That goes for any pic out of the Ferrari range as well. Sorry I am not a strict "biker only" like some here. I love cars too!:o (ooooops, is it wise to say that here? lol)

P.S. Jrandom, are you by any chance a big fan of Eminem? You usually seem to have the most controversial posts out lol

Coldkiwi
5th November 2003, 14:49
Originally posted by jrandom
Yellow? Green? Pah.

Black is the One True Colour, and you all know it. CK no doubt lies awake at night sweating over his decision to pass up on that black 7R, trying desperately to avoid thinking about his future trials as he denies (unsuccessfully) the obvious limp-wristed sexual orientation connoted by a flouro Froot Loop-coloured bike.

Yellow, indeed. Heretic.

hehe, I will admit that I have gone weak at the knees at seeing pics of black ZX-7R's (and black '04 Zx-10's... and that matt black F4 -SPR *droooools*)

The Zx-7R in black is possibly the horniest shape/colour combination ever to be produced by Japan. But sadly they're bloody rare so its not what I'm getting.

Truth be known, i like my bikes a bit different. Hence my current bright green kwaka. I'm not fruity enough to go after stupid boutique frenchie stuff like a voxan (nor loaded enough to maintain it!) but i do like something that stands out which is part of the reason this one is yellow.

k14
5th November 2003, 15:05
Any more hints?? Does it have an under body exhaust??

Something like this?

marty
5th November 2003, 15:33
Originally posted by k14
Any more hints?? Does it have an under body exhaust??

Something like this?

now that is pretty fucking horny. if you can't at least look good on that then you should be driving a car.

SPman
5th November 2003, 17:01
Originally posted by duckman
Now wait one god damned minute. Yellow IS the new black. (and red)

It's the fastest colour you can buy and the chicks dig it. 

After Orange!:)

Firefight
6th November 2003, 12:46
Hey CK, I'll be out round Howick clevedon, kawakawa bay, maritei hunua from about 2.30 till 5.00, will be lookin for this new yellow bike, text me if your takin it out to run it in , will check phone from time to time.

firefight:niceone:

021 21 35978

Coldkiwi
6th November 2003, 13:30
and the answer... which no one guessed (how did that happen!?) is this!

Oh yes, I am a VERY happy man!

duckman
6th November 2003, 13:33
Very nice CK - I'm just a little jealous!!

Enjoy yourself but no falling off!!!!!:2thumbsup :2thumbsup

Motoracer
6th November 2003, 13:33
Oooooh la la. very nice!! :2thumbsup

I did guess that at the back of my mind but I really didn't think it would have been the Suzy.

Congrats on the beaut! :niceone:

750Y
6th November 2003, 13:46
i knew all along lol. anyways that thing is ugleeee you better give it to me since i have no bike anymore.
congrats ck

bikerboy
6th November 2003, 16:24
Congrats CK. Very nice, great colours. Much better than the BLUE every man and his dog wants/has.!

Must admit suprised you abandoned Kawasaki, the youth today...no brand loyalty.:(

ENJOY mate...:2thumbsup

SPman
6th November 2003, 16:32
Very nice.

"Pre-owned" or brand spankers? :2thumbsup

Racey Rider
6th November 2003, 17:46
:gob: PRETTY!!!

I've still got a Green one to swap with it whenever your ready! :rolleyes:

So,, are you going to jump straight into F2 to race that??

Firefight
6th November 2003, 18:20
Man that bike rocks, :2thumbsup

I see atleast 5 of us guessed right !

can't wait to follow it !!

congrats mate

firefight :cool:

SPman
6th November 2003, 20:42
And jolly flash it looks in the flesh--er--metal, too.

Wow, a whole 58km's on the clock......aint it great getting a brand new bike.

:D

aff-man
6th November 2003, 22:12
I can now breath a gigantic sigh or relief after knowing for a few weeks and me not being able to spill was quite difficult. But congrats on the new bike at least i'll be able to see you against the tree's when you are way way way off in the distance :D

Have fun go mad, as the saying goes:2thumbsup

Coldkiwi
7th November 2003, 00:02
Cheers guys. I'm well stoked with it too!

cheers to aff man, 750Y, andrew and nhuan for not spoiling my fun when they already knew.

nah, i won't jump into F2 with it (heck, unless MNZ comply with my begging, I may not even be racing in clubmans this round!) :( Anyway, F2 has guys on dedicated 600 racers with slicks that would either get me too excited and out of control as I tried to follow them or cut me up so badly in the corners that i'd get all nervous. Clubmans is the place for me to start for sure.

As for brand loyalty BB, come on dude!! You know I'm a huge fan of the kawasaki's. I've owned three of them. I would've got a 636 if they were as cheap as these. Anyway, I'll be living in debt for at least the next 18 months paying this off so I'm lucky to have it at all!

Anyway, my initial impressions after 1 day are:-

Brakes: :rockon: WOW!! best part of the package. I can feel stoppies coming on already. Not sure if its the weight difference and hard suspension with the tokicos over my old nissin system and softer front on the 6R but it sure feels a whole lot nicer!

Looks:  :2thumbsup: next best part of the package... love that light weight rear seat cowl! Looks better in real life than in the photos too.

Engine: still rough as its running in but seems to be willing to get up and boogie. EFI is a bit twitchy down low but I have a cunning plan to deal with that! (watch for weasel tails)

Tyres: meeah... :o dunlop 207's, not my fav. Looking at swapping for my confidence inspiring Pirelli supercorsa/dragon combo for not too much $$ (cause I have sod all now!). At least the gold wheels look right horny!

ahh i can sleep happy tonight!

Racey Rider
7th November 2003, 07:04
ahh i can sleep happy tonight!

What did it cost ya to insure it?

To All:
Does anyone's insurance cover Track days?
If while at a track day, some "Unfortunate soul" (Idiot didn't seem to be the right word, as it may be ME one day!),:o loses his bike down the track, and takes you and yours out as well, what's the protocol on paying for damage. Do you expect Me to hand you a signed blank cheque, or do you accept that that is just one of the pitfalls of track/Race days on a new expensive bike?
Feel free to move this to an appropriate thread if best.

duckman
7th November 2003, 09:19
Very Nice CK - I saw you outside MT Eden MC yesterday and the bike looked great. (Stalker)

By the way you lauched off down the road, I'd say your getting the hang of the power pretty quick!! :2thumbsup

The EFI issue you mentioned, would that be getting fixed via a Power Commander by chance ???

wkid_one
7th November 2003, 09:27
Good luck finding anyone to insure you on the track for a reasonable price that makes it worth while.

As for taking someone out??  Shit.....I think worrying about who was going to pay for what would be the least of the 'offending riders' worries should that take me out.

Coldkiwi
7th November 2003, 11:06
Originally posted by duckman
Very Nice CK - I saw you outside MT Eden MC yesterday and the bike looked great. (Stalker)

By the way you lauched off down the road, I'd say your getting the hang of the power pretty quick!! :2thumbsup

The EFI issue you mentioned, would that be getting fixed via a Power Commander by chance ???

you are indeed a stalker cause you weren't on the duck! (at least I couldn't hear you!)

The power difference is mostly in where it turns up. The 6R has two real kicks at 8000 and 10,000 where the G6 is much more linear.

No power commander, I'm really really broke now... so broke I'm going to have to flag thisrace round. I can't afford crash bungs/back protector/licence fee and entry fee and the replacement pirelli's I want to put on (BUGGER!). What I'll be using is a TRE or (Timing Retard Eliminator) to sort the 1/2 throttle map out. Its basically a plug and play unit and at $170 its a bargain. But again.. it'll have to wait.

One more thing I noticed this morning is that its got a Real arse-about-the-ears-riding position! It makes sense in the corners but its a literal pain in the  neck (and wrists and back) on the motorway. Time to get fit!

duckman
7th November 2003, 11:38
Nah - I was in my cage. Parkd across the road.

Hoon
7th November 2003, 12:49
Very nice CK!!!  Great bike for a great price!!  When I saw those bikes in the brochure I thought it would be the perfect machine for an F2 racer - glad someone I know has taken advantage of it!

I also spent many hours calculating my finances and the entertaining the possibility of buying one of those specials (I was tossing up on a new hayabusa for the summer :)) but in the end reason won over and the "saving for a house" fund survives another day :(

Coldkiwi
7th November 2003, 14:57
maybe I will have plucked up the courage and finances by the time March rolls around to join in F2 then. Can't even afford a go at clubmans for next week :(

you know Ho-hoon... holeshot DO have one more left!

As for the insurance... $890 premium and a $1500 excess with State (includes 40% no claims bonus). Should be better next year when I'm 25. Insuring on the track I think is a pipe dream. I don't think anyone would even look at it for a track day, let alone a race. State sure won't insure me if I dump it at Puke.

duckman
7th November 2003, 15:05
So CK - will you race the shiny new toy even if it's not insured ??

Don't mean to sound harsh - But that would be madness!! espcially if your paying it off. :gob:

Motoracer
7th November 2003, 15:17
Thats what crash knobs are for. And lucky for you CK, your 600 supports their installation with out having to modify the side fairings, unlike most of the other 600s. I'd definetly get them first, then the diablos then the yoshi full system :rolleyes:

duckman
7th November 2003, 15:28
How much are the crash bungs??
Do they have them for Ducati's ??
Where can I buy some??
:Offtopic: :Offtopic:

Sorry:p

Motoracer
7th November 2003, 15:53
Sorry duckman, I tried looking for one on the net but they only have them for monsters (as far as I know). Ducati's are really hard to have crash bungs on but if you get really creative I am sure you or some one might figure out a way of fitting custom ones on your 750ss. You can get cheap ones from Mt Eden MCs for about 50-80 a pair. I think these are just the basic ones and don't slow down the slide as fast as the 200-300 once.

Hoon
7th November 2003, 16:15
Originally posted by Racey Rider
If while at a track day, some "Unfortunate soul" (Idiot didn't seem to be the right word, as it may be ME one day!),:o loses his bike down the track, and takes you and yours out as well, what's the protocol on paying for damage. Do you expect Me to hand you a signed blank cheque, or do you accept that that is just one of the pitfalls of track/Race days on a new expensive bike?

Yep as far as I know it is just one of the risks of racing, if some guy elbows you off the track the only thing you can do is punch his lights out in the pits.

Even if someone drops oil all over the track causing a massive pile up, that is just another day in the life of a racer.

I'm sure the same would apply at a track day - the best you can do it to make sure you keep away from the suspect types.

andy1
7th November 2003, 17:08
nice bike ck:cool:

wkid_one
7th November 2003, 19:21
Go to www.motrax.co.uk (http://www.motrax.co.uk) for the crash bungs - cheap as chips?

wkid_one
7th November 2003, 19:24
I see Colemans are selling the Alstare 600 for $12995 - that is a shit load of bike for that price........feck - maybe I'll get one too at that price.

Was yours the Canadian spec one?

Good choice - the colour is mint

NhuanH
8th November 2003, 06:13
What I'll be using is a TRE or (Timing Retard Eliminator) to sort the 1/2 throttle map out. Its basically a plug and play unit and at $170 its a bargain. But again.. it'll have to wait. 

Congrats on the Gixxer CK. 

The TRE should not be that much.  Try gixxer.com like I have spouted on about many a time and search for jeffw's TRE.

I also believe that 750Y had the TRE (and maybe the PAIR mod?) on his now sold Gixxer 750 sourced from jeffw.

Agree with your thoughts on 207s.  You fortunately will not have them long enough to find out, but the rear started to step out after say about 3 hours - or was it my fatigue and shitbox riding by that stage :D

I guess they still come as OE fitment on some bikes, thankfully I don't think you can buy them any more.  I am much happier with the BT-012's on my current bike.

750Y
8th November 2003, 19:03
Originally posted by Motoracer
Thats what crash knobs are for. And lucky for you CK, your 600 supports their installation with out having to modify the side fairings, unlike most of the other 600s.

Hey CK,
I don't think the crash bung will fit on the left side without taking a small scallop out of the fairing. There are brands which include a bracket for the left side which repositions the bung but the word is that the bracket will snap anyway in anything other than a tip over. Also Nhuan is correct the TRE mod is a lot cheaper than $170. Mine(JeffW's) was around $50NZD landed, i got the non switchable type. the switchable type would cost probably another 20 bucks but pointless imho. I did do the pair mod too which cost about 10 bucks & took me an hour or so. I believe it's worthwhile.

matthewt
9th November 2003, 14:52
CK,

Nice bike, that paint scheme has to be one of the nicest paint jobs on any road bike I've ever seen. One like it commutes to wgtn and every time I see it I marvel at how nice it is.

:niceone:

Coldkiwi
9th November 2003, 17:59
Dunlop 207's... dear oh dear! I've just got back from my whangamata loop and the bloody rear tyre is looking shot! This is after I dropped the pressure to about 34 when it was warm before going over Kopu. Crappy things. I want some Diablos!!

Hmm.. cheap deals on TRE's? soudns good! Now all i have to do is find some money! And what on earth is the PAIR modification about? Something to do with the catalytic converter?

I agree with the sentiments about crash bung brackets. To work, they'd need to be damn heavy steel or titanium (and thus expensive) to have much of a show I'd think in a decent off. So whats a nice tidy way to cut a hole (*sniff*) in my nice tasty coloured fairings? Thanks for the comments matt, I reckon she's a good looker  too... which reminds me, its outside with the bugs getting baked on by thjis lovely weather... time to go cleaning! :eek:

750Y
9th November 2003, 20:40
what on earth is the PAIR modification about? Something to do with the catalytic converter?

I agree with the sentiments about crash bung brackets. To work, they'd need to be damn heavy steel or titanium (and thus expensive) to have much of a show I'd think in a decent off. So whats a nice tidy way to cut a hole (*sniff*) in my nice tasty coloured fairings?

The pair mod is basically the removal of the emissions gear & rerouting of some hoses which has several benefits including not processing crankcase fumes through the chamber(my personal favourite), applying negative pressure within the crankcase to decrease resistance to the crank resulting in faster spin-up(dyno proven), and a tiny weight reduction(blablabla).
Performance-wise on the road the TRE is almost the biggest gain for the money you will get for Your 600 after a 1 or 2 up rear sprocket.
The best way to cut the fairing is by first scribing/radiusing the fairing then removing the sticker(if any) with a blade then using a dremel carefully (while the fairing is off). some kits have the 'scallop' diagram included for tracing out but i have heard of some actually taking far more plastic than needed.
Anyways there's no REAL need to do any of this stuff except maybe the bungs which will save you $$$ in the unfortunate event of a get-off. I might even know where some are going cheap. 8-)
Hope You're enjoying the ride.

bikerboy
9th November 2003, 20:41
nhuan, what's this about "on my current bike". Did you get another bike?

What did you get?

CK, lack of brand loyalty aside, that colour scheme is very nice. Best on Japanese bike except for Firefight's R6.:niceone:

There's something special about yellow.....and orange.:D

Andrew
9th November 2003, 20:57
Originally posted by bikerboy

CK, lack of brand loyalty aside, that colour scheme is very nice. Best on Japanese bike except for Firefight's R6.:niceone:

There's something special about yellow.....and orange.:D

Yes I'll second that. Had a look at the Colemans Website, very nice. :2thumbsup

NhuanH
10th November 2003, 10:09
nhuan, what's this about "on my current bike". Did you get another bike?

What did you get?

this could be the inspiration for another poll...:D

Shhh to those out there that already know - spoilsports!

750Y
10th November 2003, 10:34
Originally posted by nhuanh
this could be the inspiration for another poll...:D

Shhh to those out there that already know - spoilsports!

lol, here we go again... not yellow by any chance?

jrandom
10th November 2003, 11:03
P.S. Jrandom, are you by any chance a big fan of Eminem? You usually seem to have the most controversial posts out lol

not at all, dude... me, an obnoxious white boy? :o

and congrats CK, that bike and colour is just *too* nice. I don't even have the heart for any pisstaking about it being another pansy foo-foo 600 :p

And $13K is just too cheap. If I had my full license and was out to buy the 'Next Bike' I'd be soooooo tempted. Here's hoping something similar will turn up same time next year.

Sigh. Colour me green...

Coldkiwi
10th November 2003, 11:03
I know NUSSSING! NUSSSSSING! :p

Firefight
11th November 2003, 05:18
What did you get?

Thank you BB, But I don't think we have to worry about looking at that black& red mess for much longer !!
My Yam dealer rang and told me that they have a 04 R6, in BLUE !! Going to look at it after night shift this morning.
:2thumbsup :niceone:

firefight:cool:

Coldkiwi
11th November 2003, 11:23
Originally posted by jrandom
not at all, dude... me, an obnoxious white boy? :o

and congrats CK, that bike and colour is just *too* nice. I don't even have the heart for any pisstaking about it being another pansy foo-foo 600 :p

And $13K is just too cheap. If I had my full license and was out to buy the 'Next Bike' I'd be soooooo tempted. Here's hoping something similar will turn up same time next year.

Sigh. Colour me green...

Cheers J! I don't quite get what you mean by a pansy foo-foo 600 though. I won't get stuck into your FXR (we all had to start somewhere) but do you know what these 600's are capable of?

750Y
11th November 2003, 12:16
... but do you know what these 600's are capable of?

someone's enjoying their new bike hahahaha. 8-)

jrandom
11th November 2003, 12:51
Cheers J! I don't quite get what you mean by a pansy foo-foo 600 though. I won't get stuck into your FXR (we all had to start somewhere) but do you know what these 600's are capable of?

My tongue was making a hole in my cheek when I wrote that :p

If I had been serious, which of course I wasn't, I suppose I would have been implying that it must be time for a rider of your experience to move up to a litrebike, a moto pour l'homme... I mean, with only four times the cubic capacity of my bike, your GSXR still almost qualifies as 'small' :D

Anyone have or remember the power output details on the 600s? Come on CK, surely you memorised all that stuff before picking it up. It must be cracking 100bhp, yes?

Does it wheelie off the throttle in second? You know all that running-in stuff is bollocks, it'll never work properly unless you wring the nuts off it for the first thousand kays. I understand you might be a bit nervous, it being new and shiny and all, and all that misleading 'max 6K revs' silliness being in the owner manual, so I'd be happy to undertake those duties on your behalf.

:beer:

duckman
11th November 2003, 12:57
Heya Jarandon - I saw CK riding the new toy the day after he got it, and can confirm that he was NOT following the standard "break in" procedure. - Unless it states "Ring the tits off it in every gear as you accelerate away from any bike shop"!!!

:2thumbsup :p :2thumbsup

MikeL
11th November 2003, 14:37
Originally posted by Firefight
My Yam dealer rang and told me that they have a 04 R6, in BLUE !! Going to look at it after night shift this morning.

I really don't think you should buy that new bike Dave. Considering the hassles and the stress of trying to update your old avatar just a few weeks ago, I think going through the whole process again could very well bring on a fatal stroke. :( :( :(

Firefight
11th November 2003, 15:41
Originally posted by MikeL
I really don't think you should buy that new bike Dave. Considering the hassles and the stress of trying to update your old avatar just a few weeks ago, I think going through the whole process again could very well bring on a fatal stroke. :( :( :(

Hi Mike, yeah thanks, BTW, what sort of stroke are we talking about, a CVA, or that other more pleasant type ??:confused:

Re the Blue R6, got to the dealer, only to be told the dam things still in its crate, yet to be assembled,:angry2:

So still have not seem it :(

Firefight.:cool:

Coldkiwi
11th November 2003, 16:18
yeah, the magazines reckon the '02 model puts out about 100-102 at the rear wheel and '03 is to all intents the same. Haven't yet hoisted the wheel. It doesn't quite kick like the kwaka did so I'll need to be a bit smarter to get it up instead of relying on a power peak.

I wasn't really that nervous about riding it at all after the first few 100 k's (2 days). It feels pretty close to the ZX-6R in many ways so it hasn't required a new mindset like switching from my 250 to the 600. Also must admit i'm not really babying it too much (as duckman testifies-btw, that was only 4 hours after i got it) but maybe you can con FireFight into a run in job!

Firefight, I feel your pain at it still being in the box. But at least you'll get to sit on and ride the R6 before signing up to however many months of debt! The closest I got was sitting astride a GSXR1000 in the store because no one has an 750's or 600's left.

bikerboy
11th November 2003, 17:21
Haldanes have some 03 r6s and r1s as well as a gsxr750. Blue!!!

That bike still being in the crate Firefight.....Fate man fate. listen to the Gods above......don't do it.:beer:

Firefight
11th November 2003, 17:28
Haldanes have some 03 r6s and r1s as well as a gsxr750. Blue!!!

That bike still being in the crate Firefight.....Fate man fate. listen to the Gods above......don't do it.:beer:

Thanks BB, but I want the Blue 04

BTW are you going riding Sunday ?

firefight,:eek:

wkid_one
11th November 2003, 20:25
Get an 04 R1 and be done with it - I am

bikerboy
11th November 2003, 21:11
I am game for a ride if the weather cooperates. Where to?

The duc is back from the painters all shiny and bellissimo! :D Haldanes have tweeked the suspension, adjusted the ride heght( i can touch the ground with both feet!!) and a new sprocket to make it less high geared.

Took for a blat today and I'm in love again.

Now I'm even more confused so unless I'm offered big money for either bike I guess I'll just have to keep them both.:eek:

Sorry this is technically :Offtopic: but he asked....sort of.:o

Firefight
11th November 2003, 21:11
Originally posted by wkid_one
Get an 04 R1 and be done with it - I am

Not as good a rider as you, so R6 will do.

looks like Ive got it too

Lou Girardin
12th November 2003, 07:15
Ah! La Ducati, Mi amore.
Lou

bikerboy
12th November 2003, 09:45
yee haaa, all these new bikes.....:2thumbsup

when do you get the new baby FF.?

Firefight
12th November 2003, 17:33

should have a firm date buy Friday BB, :2thumbsup

Firefight
12th November 2003, 17:33

should have a firm date buy Friday BB, :2thumbsup

wkid_one
12th November 2003, 17:49
Not as good a rider as you

Have you been reading the comments on this board about my riding?

Firefight
12th November 2003, 18:19
Have you been reading the comments on this board about my riding?

Yes

wkid_one
12th November 2003, 18:26
ahhh - so it was sarcasm - that makes sense - coz my riding sux

Firefight
12th November 2003, 18:32
ahhh - so it was sarcasm - that makes sense - coz my riding sux

Unbelivable, how do you get sarcasm out of that ?:confused: :confused:

wkid_one
12th November 2003, 18:40
I was more referring to the fact you would be one of the few on this board who actually thinks I can ride - let alone should ride an R1

Firefight
12th November 2003, 18:50
I was more referring to the fact you would be one of the few on this board who actually thinks I can ride - let alone should ride an R1

:2thumbsup

Motoracer
12th November 2003, 20:07
Wicked mate, you can't be taking it seriously. All the guys here are just getting a kick out of making fun of how you can't ride, thats all (I am pretty sure). I think it started from the point where your riding experience was revealed in that post where you were deciding which bike to pick for F1. But really, some people don’t get it after years and some pick up just like that in no time.

I guess its a topic such as "are you ugly or good looking" or "are you a good lover or a bad one" where it takes a reasonable amount of confidence in your self to say "yes!! I am good looking or a good lover". Likewise I think you are lacking confidence in yourself/your riding and letting others get to you. From what I hear from andy1 and KK before, you blast pretty hard and you aren’t binning it that often either.

I guess all you can do is know that you can ride and be happy with yourself or if you really have to prove yourself to you and others, go on the biggest KB ride and show what you and your R1 can do. :cool:

wkid_one
12th November 2003, 20:34
Thanks Moto - but I was being sarcastic - I couldn't give a rat's arse what they think in all honesty......I know I can ride - but also know there is room for improvement.  I was more taking a stab at the fuckwits who pass comment when their own abilities are the flashest either.  It is also interesting WHO revealed my experience - loser.

Still looking at racing F1 - I know people who have been riding 20 years and still have chicken strips inches wide.....ask anyone who rides with me how long they THINK i've been riding......versus my actual experience - the two aren't correlated directly.

I get on my bike to push the limits - not to get from A to B....I enjoy riding coz it affords me those challenges - people bagging me just make me more determined.  I know I will bin the bike at some stage as I am not trying to ride within my limits - and the only way to find them is to push past them.....

And most of all - I love EVERY MINUTE I am on the bike! Fuck em all - unless they are teaching me to race!!!

Racey Rider
13th November 2003, 07:33
I was more taking a stab at the fuckwits who pass comment ...

:whocares: :whocares: :whocares:

Time to LET IT GO Wkid! :calm: :apint:

wkid_one
13th November 2003, 11:27
Whoops - I was in a kinda ranting mood last night when I wrote that........(note:  don't write on board when smoking)

The gist of it was - there are an AWFUL lot of people on this board who pass comment - who never appear to actually ride with anyone on this board?  ManyI have made every endeavour to ride with everyone on the board - it always seems to be the same people who turn up to the rides - CK, KK, BigB, Si, Marmoot, Andy.

Kwaka-Kid
13th November 2003, 11:52
Wkid1: you are a good rider, but i know you dont need me to say that, i agree with you on who gives a fuck, all i say is STFU and Race that damn blue bitch! :rolleyes:  -also Wkid (not meaning to be offensive) But the word chicken strips sounds great... just pitty it dont count for SFA @ the end of the race day, you wanna see chicken strips? check the rear tyre of my VFR400, damn thats beyond chicken strips, they are still trying to invent a word big enough to describe the size of the rubber on the outta edges of it.

FF: Duuuude shot on the Blue R6, wanna sell me ur red one? i can deal with riding a fucking ugly bike if you sell it at the price a fucking ugly bikes worth (got $2 in my back pocket with FF's ugly R6 written all over it)

-Oh and FF, bet you could ride rings around me an my VFR on an R1 even in the tight stuff, so please hold back on saying things like u are not capable of riding one because it makes me on my little 400 feel like i should get off and just push it faster!!

CK: dude, nice bike... very nice.

Coldkiwi
13th November 2003, 11:55
grazie :)

Firefight
13th November 2003, 14:04

Hey BB
All signed up, should be late next week,:2thumbsup , they got
to fit a scott oiler, and do some other shit to it.

Can't wait:D :D :D :D

they even got someone who lined up wants the black & red one, go figure:gob:

may see you sunday, weather permitting.

wkid_one
13th November 2003, 16:08
As I said - I KNOW I will bin it - hence my reluctance to race the bloody thing - juat need to own a little more of the bike rather than the finance company and i will be in like flynn.  Am rapidly accruing race bits and pieces.  Rear Fairing should arrive soon....

Honestly - I am kinda enjoying the thrill of 'racing' it on the road - stakes are higher I know - but much more fun......

bikerboy
13th November 2003, 17:35
Hey wkid I've shown up.....twice:o

And FF, great news- can't wait to see what all the fuss is about; blue versus black:cool:

wkid_one
13th November 2003, 18:16
You are forgiven tho BB - you are punctually impaired

Coldkiwi
19th November 2003, 11:31
a quick hark back to the reason i started this thread... I took my g/f out for a ride on the new gixxer yesterday arvo. I was more than a little nervous that I'd splashed out on a bike that was great for me but was going to be like sitting on a pole for her. But lo and behold, when we pull into Maraetai and get the helmets off her first words are 'that is SO much more comfortable than your old bike!'.

Needless to say I am delighted but also quite surprised given the significantly less comfortable position I am trussed up in! Her only whinge was that it was quite bouncy; my bad for not detuning the rear shock.

Again, the 207's complained like an remuera housewife on vodka even when I got only mildly down in a corner. Fecking things. I'm really not impressed with Dunlop right now.

Coldkiwi
25th November 2003, 12:20
:argh: :angry2: :o :shit: :brick: :mad: :doh:

as someone once said : "it happened"

feeling very stupid and a little bit sore. Coming out of the drive this morning all raring to go, I got a little too keen and gunned the bike onto the road to get out before some cars came past. That dirty, dirty rear D207 (I REALLY hate them now) let go and spun me round a full 360' before landing the bike on its side dumping me on my side too.

Damage: scratched side fairing, small crack in front fairing, grated exhaust, broken handlebar/mirror/right footpeg/indicator...and a SEVERE loss of confidence in the rear of the bike. Hopefully not too expensive to get back into workign order but its no longer pristine :( Fark

It was completely my fault for not waiting for the cars and taking a more liesurely approach top the road but I'm quite sure the pirelli's I've run on my Zx-6 and even the Michelin Hi Sport I have on it now would've let me get away with it

VERY VERY pissed off

Motoracer
25th November 2003, 13:12
Been there done that with a TL1000S, had Michelin Pilot Race that was slippery as hell on that cold cold night. I pulled out of the drive way in a hurry. I ended up doing a low speed high side and ended up with $4000 in damages :o. Fuck it sucks eh! :(

Sorry to hear about it CK, hopefully you can get back on the road again with out too much costs and delay.

Coldkiwi
25th November 2003, 16:13
yeah, I keep wishing I'd eased off the throttle but then if I'd done it too much I would've highsided and REALLY busted it up. It must've looked pretty classy to the cars approaching

>biker accelerates out of drive, leans it RIGHT over, proceeds to spin it 360' as he does a pseudo burnout around the front tyre before landing on the road<

shame I didn't have a camera!!

I'm guessing it'll cost around $1000 to fix excluding the exhaust but hopefully only a few hundy to cover the handle bar/footrest/indicator and mirror to get it on road again.

All that damage for the sake of $200 crash bungs. What a bitch

bikerboy
25th November 2003, 16:13
Sorry to hear that CK, :(

Firefight
25th November 2003, 16:49
Hey CK, bad luck man, glad your okay, might not seem like it at the moment, but could have been worse,. have you had your 1K service yet ?, and did you get it for free ?

firefight.:cool:

Coldkiwi
25th November 2003, 16:55
nope. bastards made me pay. $135

yeah, t could've been worse but all it would've taken for me to avoid it was pausing for 5 seconds before leaving the garage. I was in a really excited mood and dying to jump on and fang it which I have now learnt is a bad, bad attitude to have first up because it gives you a very false sense of invulnerability.

bluninja
25th November 2003, 17:11
Bad luck CK. At least you're not selling up and buying a jetski:2thumbsup So now it's scratched are you going to race it?

TTFN

wkid_one
25th November 2003, 17:22
As I said - I KNOW I will bin it

Fuck I am pyschic!

wkid_one
25th November 2003, 17:25
Believe me CK - I KNOW what it feels like seeing your baby lying tits up on the road!!!!!!  It was enuf for me to chuck it away.

Andrew
25th November 2003, 18:34

That really sucked but I will have to use Andrew as an example of how a person should ride. Andrew is just such an awesome rider becaue he rides with such style without ever dumping his bike.

Thanks CK but I don't know if I'd go that far. Sorry to hear that it went over and for the sake of not having enough money even for gas you may well have to ride like a granny until you get some better tires.

Lou Girardin
26th November 2003, 07:16
Slightly off topic, but where did they get $135 for a 'free' first service?
Lou

jrandom
26th November 2003, 09:26
AFAIK Colemans do free first services. You got the gixer from Holeshot, right? They didn't give me a free first service on the FXR, either. And for that matter my 1000k service cost the *same* as your one! Surely servicing a four-cylinder fully-faired 600 race rep is a bit more complicated than a 150 single. Hmmm... <_<

For some reason I've got a bit of an untrusting feeling about the guys at the Holeshot workshop, last couple of services on the FXR I've taken it to Colemans. They did a sweet retuning job on it, too. I'd start using them for services CK if I were you. Last service on the FXR at Colemans I paid about $220 for, which is a bit steep but they must be doing something right to charge that much :p

Oh, and have a virtual pat on the back for the accident mate. At least it'll make a good story (beats the ISO Standard Slow Lowside Around a Wet Corner, anyway). And get some BT012s or SuperCorsas on that bike! It deserves better...

Don't forget to check in with Atomic to see if you can save a hundy or so getting the bike back on the road. It's been christened now, you don't need to worry about keeping it shiny...

aff-man
26th November 2003, 10:29
Well i know i shouldn't but&nbsp;i have just one question . Wet roads, really crappy , cold tyres, Bloody gixxer 600, why would you trottle it through a corner from a standing start?? At least i had the excuse of being&nbsp;non-to bright for my little driveway 'inncident' :p

jrandom
26th November 2003, 12:16
Originally posted by aff-man
Wet roads, really crappy , cold tyres, Bloody gixxer 600, why would you trottle it through a corner from a standing start??

the poor man's already admitted culpability, don't kick him when he's down ya heartless bastard :bash:

aff-man
26th November 2003, 16:27
Naaa buddy just payback for when he gave me heaps of flack&nbsp;when i did it:Oops:

Motoracer
26th November 2003, 16:55
Fuck I am pyschic!

Some times it helps to think you are invincible but not to the point of complete ignorance. If you think you are going to crash, you probably will. If you think you will be sweet, chances are you will probably overcome the problems better and not crash. I think the psychology of the rider really effects the out come of an emergency situation.

P.S. I am not implying this on your crash wkid.

Firefight
26th November 2003, 17:05
Originally posted by Lou Girardin
Slightly off topic, but where did they get $135 for a 'free' first service?
Lou

Good point Lou !

I am interested to hear what people think.

If you buy a Honda, you normally only pay for consumables on the first service, If you buy a Yamaha ( Ive bought 3 new ones)
They TRY to get you to pay for everything in the first service.

This is only my opinion, but if you spend that sort of money on a new Bike $16,000 +, I reckon you should get atleast one of the followingif not all,

1) Free first service

2) Parts/accesories to the value of about $ 500.00

3) Cash discount min $ 500.00.

It is my belief that If they want to sell the bikes, they will play the game, all you need is a good poker face. Of course if you can do better, good on ya.

Firefight:cool:

bikerboy
26th November 2003, 17:47
Yea right, try that at the Ducati dealer,:(

After they stop laughing, they present the bill, and you start to cry, mate!:argh:

merv
26th November 2003, 18:24

After they stop laughing, they present the bill, and you start to cry, mate!:argh:

Yet buy a car like a Toyota which is about the same price as a Ducati and they'll service it for 3 years including costs of consumables. Where's the customer service with bikes? Surely the mark up on the product is as great if not greater than with a car. The problem I suppose is lack of volume sold.

This adds more to the cost per km of running a bike. Gotta enjoy your toys though.

wkid_one
26th November 2003, 20:00
Some times it helps to think you are invincible but not to the point of complete ignorance. If you think you are going to crash, you probably will. If you think you will be sweet, chances are you will probably overcome the problems better and not crash. I think the psychology of the rider really effects the out come of an emergency situation.

P.S. I am not implying this on your crash wkid.

Nah - shit in all honesty - I knew my riding style would lead me to be staring at the sky at some stage - I would be an idiot to think it wouldn't

Kwaka-Kid
26th November 2003, 20:00
really crappy , cold tyres

k thats it... YOU ARE NOT ALOWED TO CALL NEW TYRES CRAPPY! i swear to god the rear end of my racebike has worse rubber and i call it god, and now im&nbsp;moving to a Dunlop GPR80, thats like 3 odd tyres worse/cheaper then the D207's&nbsp; approx right?.. K i know i dont know much about tyres, but im sure that like brand new tyres that are scrubbed in must be pretty close @ grip etc right? otherwise nobody would buy them because they would have such a piss poor name?&nbsp;&nbsp; bah, what do i know, all i *guess* is that they are all much of a muchness in modern tyres etc, i mean, these things wear out in sub 10,000k's right? so that rubber has to be sticking off somewhere.

But sad to hear dude, and Aff-man dont give him too much eh!! -he is an awesome rider from what ive seen and everybody makes mistakes,&nbsp;and&nbsp;i prolly make about enuf of them to compensate for the whole of the KB'ers :)

Firefight
27th November 2003, 09:25

No doubt you are right BB, I guess it may only work if there is more than one sorce to purchse ?, but I would love to come along next time you update your duke, I thought I might ask Big Dog too come with me , I think we may be able to get some sort of deal improvment for you (haha:rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

btw, picked up my new R6 this am, shit I love that blue !!:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

May catch up with you this weekend, I don't have to go to Opotiki
now.

cheers firefight.:cool:

Motoracer
27th November 2003, 09:27
Please do post a pic here to show us your new beauty :)

Firefight
27th November 2003, 11:52
Please do post a pic here to show us your new beauty :)

Sorry man, am tecnophobic, but will find some kind person to do this for me.:( (Andrew help !)

750Y
27th November 2003, 12:33
glad you're ok.

Coldkiwi
27th November 2003, 16:38
Well i know i shouldn't but&nbsp;i have just one question . Wet roads, really crappy , cold tyres, Bloody gixxer 600, why would you trottle it through a corner from a standing start?? At least i had the excuse of being&nbsp;non-to bright for my little driveway 'inncident' :p

gimme some credit man!!&nbsp;It wasn't wet at all. The tyres really are just that bad (I think a GPR 80 gives similar grip KK).

Believe me J, I REALLY wanted to get some pirelli's on it and crash bungs before the spill. I've got a mate hooking me up with a good deal on diablo corsa's tho so there's light on the horizon... but not for my bank account!

Andrew
27th November 2003, 19:06
Sorry man, am tecnophobic, but will find some kind person to do this for me.:( (Andrew help !)

ok physics boy I'll help. I'm free Sunday, perhaps it would be a good day to go for a ride then?

Firefight
27th November 2003, 19:27
Originally posted by Andrew
ok physics boy I'll help. I'm free Sunday, perhaps it would be a good day to go for a ride then?

did you have anywhere in mind ?

firefight:)

bikerboy
27th November 2003, 19:49
Congrates on the Blue toy FF. Hope this weather improves as I haven't been on a ride for weeks.:argh:

I'd be keen on Sunday if weather appropriate but I'll be SOOO out of practice.

I'm getting cranky.:o

Firefight
27th November 2003, 19:53
Hey BB, can't have you gettin cranky.:angry2: lets hope the weather is okay sunday, see ya then

firefight.:cool:

Kwaka-Kid
27th November 2003, 22:13
all this talk of riding sunday :( and ive got mon/tues off for next few weeks :( altho riding to kerikeri @ like 4pm sunday.. on my lonesome.

Firefight
28th November 2003, 07:17
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
all this talk of riding sunday :( and ive got mon/tues off for next few weeks :( altho riding to kerikeri @ like 4pm sunday.. on my lonesome.

What, or should I say who is up there Logan ?:D

bikerboy
28th November 2003, 07:59
:o ...." on my lonesome.."

but will he be lonesome once he's there?:gob:

Firefight
28th November 2003, 08:21
:o ...." on my lonesome.."

but will he be lonesome once he's there?:gob:

Nice one BB, why else would he chose to ride @ that time of day, knowing that it would be unlikely that an other rider would ride up with him and cramp his style. !, could this b Love ?:love: ?

firefight.:confused:

aff-man
28th November 2003, 09:45
Sorry dude went and had a little look see at the damage and it's not as bad as i thought or though the handel bar might cost a bit due to you needing a new one. But how long do you think till fully operational.??
As for a ride i am probably in havn't had a good thrash in a while and that means my riding style and ability is turning to shit even though i commute everyday.:argh:

Kwaka-Kid
28th November 2003, 15:28
Hey Hey now you two! stop picking on wee little KK :(

ahaha, but yes, i gunna head up there till like tuesday then bring gf back.